McGeorge

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
star10

Re: McGeorge

Postby star10 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:24 pm

Went to Legal Scholars Day last week and was pretty impressed...

I'm going to put my deposit down this week and will most likely be attending in Fall...anyone else?

sticknbindle

Postby sticknbindle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:32 pm

I was also thoroughly impressed with the school. The property class I sat in on was awesome. There's no way I could justify paying sticker at Hastings or Davis with the offer McGeorge gave me.. If I don't go out of state, I'm definitely going to McGeorge.

star10

Postby star10 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:44 pm

I sat in on the property class too. The teacher was really engaging and the students seemed really intelligent and into the class.

The event as a whole was really organized and well put together.

In terms of minimizing debt and passing the CA Bar, McGeorge def seems like my best bet. I just hope I'm not stuck in Sacramento foreverrrrr

JohnnyDarko

Postby JohnnyDarko » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:15 am

Received a call from a 3L this evening. I was not able to answer but the student contacted me by email shortly after leaving the voicemail. Its these little things that make a huge difference for me. +1 McGeorge

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:15 am

I am on the wait list at UoP... anyone interested in taking a look at my LOCI before I send it out? It would be appreciative!

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:59 am

applied really late (2/24) after reading up on the school some more and receiving a nice little recruiting packet

decision rendered on monday (3/8)

azgirl22

Postby azgirl22 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:31 pm

star10 wrote:Went to Legal Scholars Day last week and was pretty impressed...

I'm going to put my deposit down this week and will most likely be attending in Fall...anyone else?

+1. Wasn't even considering McGeorge before I attended 3/5 LSD. LOVED it! Property class was fantastic, students were so friendly...and I love the fact that they have a campus just for the law students! With free parking. Deposit going out next week. Still waiting on Davis, but for now, McGeorge it is!

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:27 pm

star10 wrote:Went to Legal Scholars Day last week and was pretty impressed...

How does reimbursement work?

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:37 pm

Withdrew from a full scholarship, books, and Austria, so hopefully it goes to one of those McGeorge faithful here on TLS.

kcolo

Postby kcolo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:03 pm

I got into McGeorge last week and although I'm not sure I want to work/live in the Sacramento area, I still feel like it is a good fit academically. I love that there is a campus and the helpfulness of the staff there has been incredible. So far I've been waitlisted at my top choices and have only gotten into John Marshall (Chicago) and Cal Western. I grew up in Chicago and my family is there but I always said I would never move back (I'm currently in Denver). I don't have any strong preferences on location to be honest....so long story short I'm not sure what to do about McGeorge. I won't be able to visit either...

squirtle

Postby squirtle » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:20 pm

lawman...you're saying you would go to mcgeorge over sticker at hastings or uc davis? or probably a 10k a year at Minnesota?

you're crazy

sticknbindle

Postby sticknbindle » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:24 pm

squirtle wrote:lawman...you're saying you would go to mcgeorge over sticker at hastings or uc davis? or probably a 10k a year at Minnesota?

you're crazy

Minnesota may be a good bet for the midwest, but the UC system is a sinking ship.

yo!

Postby yo! » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:29 pm

They just offered to up my scholarship to full tuition, so I'm now seriously considering attending. Anyone know when the next legal scholars day is?

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:40 pm

yo! wrote:They just offered to up my scholarship to full tuition, so I'm now seriously considering attending. Anyone know when the next legal scholars day is?

Dang, yo!

That's incredible. Way to go. I've just requested a bump. If it's not too much trouble, would you mind PMing and sharing your tactics (those two more LSAT points would help, but alas: too late).

For probably half of the schools I've applied to, I'm a borderline candidate, at best. So I've not really experienced too much wooing.

But I'm really impressed with how McGeorge has presented itself, from acceptance packet to the 3L calls (which I haven't taken, but still) and the very generous ASD reimbursement (which, also, I can't take advantage of, but still).

I would still have very strong doubts about going to McG over Davis/Hastings. But those two are still stringing me along, and it's getting harder and harder to think about things with either of them in the equation. If I could somehow swing a full-tuition (or damn near it) from McG, I'd very seriously consider it.

star10

Postby star10 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:12 pm

I just put my deposit in today...I wish I had negotiated a bit more...damnit!

yo!

Postby yo! » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:19 pm

ozarkhack wrote:
yo! wrote:They just offered to up my scholarship to full tuition, so I'm now seriously considering attending. Anyone know when the next legal scholars day is?

Dang, yo!

That's incredible. Way to go. I've just requested a bump. If it's not too much trouble, would you mind PMing and sharing your tactics (those two more LSAT points would help, but alas: too late).

For probably half of the schools I've applied to, I'm a borderline candidate, at best. So I've not really experienced too much wooing.

But I'm really impressed with how McGeorge has presented itself, from acceptance packet to the 3L calls (which I haven't taken, but still) and the very generous ASD reimbursement (which, also, I can't take advantage of, but still).

I would still have very strong doubts about going to McG over Davis/Hastings. But those two are still stringing me along, and it's getting harder and harder to think about things with either of them in the equation. If I could somehow swing a full-tuition (or damn near it) from McG, I'd very seriously consider it.

PM sent....

sizzle04

Postby sizzle04 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:48 pm

Any admitted folks get their financial aid packages yet? what about the login for admitted students?

azgirl22

Postby azgirl22 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:51 am

sizzle04 wrote:Any admitted folks get their financial aid packages yet? what about the login for admitted students?
\

I just email Adam Barrett, Dean of Admissions, today about the login info, he said they had a technical glitch and it will be coming next week.

tadams86

Postby tadams86 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:58 am

I haven't received any financial aid packets yet either. Anyone going to LSD on the 19th? (haha LSD haha)

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:29 pm

just got my accepted packet, 15K schollie + first year books + paid travel to legal scholars day

going to try to make it out there on friday

PS - thought it was really cool how the admissions guy wrote a personal hand written note on my acceptance letter regarding my diversity statement

mcgeorge is quickly becoming one of my favorites

lawman2010

Postby lawman2010 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:59 pm

squirtle wrote:lawman...you're saying you would go to mcgeorge over sticker at hastings or uc davis? or probably a 10k a year at Minnesota?

you're crazy

Huh? I never said I'd go to McGeorge over Davis or Hastings.

star10

Postby star10 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:49 pm

Has anyone checked out the on-campus housing? I saw the newer units (Southacre I think) on the campus tour, but was wondering what other units were like (specifically the studios or furnished 1-bedrooms in BlackAcre)

Thanks in advance for responding!

gswfan

Postby gswfan » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:06 pm

Random question:

Is there a gym on campus? I've looked all over the school website and couldn't find anything (or I could be blind.) If there is, how big is it/indoor track/pool/basketball courts?

star10

Postby star10 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:06 pm

gswfan wrote:Random question:

Is there a gym on campus? I've looked all over the school website and couldn't find anything (or I could be blind.) If there is, how big is it/indoor track/pool/basketball courts?

There's a gym on campus but its pretty small. If you go on the McGeorge website and search for the virtual tour you can see what it looks like. Nothing too exciting, but it probably gets the job done.

There's a pool and a VERY small basketball court. No indoor track though.

gswfan

Postby gswfan » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:25 pm

star10

Thanks for the reply. I just saw it, it's pretty weak. It's not a deal breaker but, it'd be nice to have a better gym.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”