McGeorge Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
star10

New

Re: McGeorge

Post by star10 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:13 pm

gswfan wrote:Went to LSD last Friday and was generally unimpressed. Although they were very nice, red flags started going up in my head about a school that really wants you to attend (aka wants your money.) The way they acted reminds me of a department store.

But other than that, it was a nice campus with friendly people. The library is still being built but should be done soon.
Weird, I actually got that vibe too. Although I am leaning towards McG there was something about the school (information packets, LSD, admissions staff) overall that gives me an uneasy feeling. This whole process there has been an overwhelming feeling of being sold by a salesperson...

I realize at the end of the day a law school is a business and it needs to make money but I didn't get that "retail" (for lack of a better word) feeling from any other school I visited. At this point I don't know if that's just how the school is (overly nice,accessible, etc.) or a gimmick.

I by no means wish to knock on the school (since yes, it's in my top 3 choices at this point) I'm just suspicious of a school that tries so hard to woo prospective students...

baboon309

Bronze

Post by baboon309 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:16 pm

gswfan wrote:Went to LSD last Friday and was generally unimpressed. Although they were very nice, red flags started going up in my head about a school that really wants you to attend (aka wants your money.) The way they acted reminds me of a department store.

But other than that, it was a nice campus with friendly people. The library is still being built but should be done soon.
+1
I went there bcuz of the free ticket though

cwkenneth

New

Post by cwkenneth » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:07 pm

Accepted to to FT program with Dean Scholarship 18K renewable contingent upon top 33%, full cost for books is covered. This is good news and makes them much more of a contender. Will attend Legal Scholars day on April 23. Hopefully they will impress.

Good Luck to all!

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:13 pm

I withdrew today. I got a a few other better options. Good luck everyone!

star10

New

Post by star10 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:33 pm

baboon309 wrote:

+1
I went there bcuz of the free ticket though
how are you liking things so far? pros? cons?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:36 am

I've visited McGeorge twice, once for a tour and another to drop off an update for my application. Both times I found the admissions staff absolutely welcoming and informative. I actually asked if i could introduce myself to the Dean on my second visit and they made a legitimate effort to hunt him down. Once they tracked him down he actually ended up taking some questions and we ended up speaking for 30 minutes which was a really nice touch. However, I did find the student tour a bit "fluffed" with the 2L seemingly giving me a scripted tour that she may have been trained for.

I haven't received a decision yet, therefore haven't experienced their "sales pitch" that some of you have mentioned from their ASD. But from my experience I would say their overly friendly culture may be more legit than it is an act to sell their school. This is coming from a borderline applicant and not an admitted student (they probably have no motive to sell me their school). So I was very very surprised and impressed with their willingness to devote their time to me.

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:59 pm

Just withdrew, opening seat and freeing cash. Good luck all.

Burnsie

New

Post by Burnsie » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:30 pm

So on Saturday I got a letter from McGeorge financial aid informing me that they need proof of my selective service registration before they can complete my financial aid file. So I replied back this email:

My name is ***** *****. I applied for admission to your law school this year. Today I had a letter from the financial aid department concerning my application. The letter informed me that to complete my file I must provide proof of Selective Service Registration. It also shows that the Selective Service agency has reported that I have not registered with them. I have not registered with them. I am a 31 years old woman. I am not sure how to fix my application status. Please get back to me and let me know what I need to do to fix this. Registering for selective service is not an option.

I have not heard back, but today it shows on my status checker that a decision was rendered. My sister tells me that the email was snotty and they probably dinged me for being bitchy. I don't think it was bitchy, but now I am of course over-analyzing it...and being a TLS-er I want everyone else to over-analyze it as well! Just FYI my FAFSA was correct with my sex.

Any thoughts? Or just ride it out and see what come in the mail?

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:11 pm

Your sister is on crack, it sounds fine to me. Some typos, yes. Bitchy, no.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fiftyonefifty

New

Post by fiftyonefifty » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:12 pm

Burnsie wrote:So on Saturday I got a letter from McGeorge financial aid informing me that they need proof of my selective service registration before they can complete my financial aid file. So I replied back this email:

My name is ***** *****. I applied for admission to your law school this year. Today I had a letter from the financial aid department concerning my application. The letter informed me that to complete my file I must provide proof of Selective Service Registration. It also shows that the Selective Service agency has reported that I have not registered with them. I have not registered with them. I am a 31 years old woman. I am not sure how to fix my application status. Please get back to me and let me know what I need to do to fix this. Registering for selective service is not an option.

I have not heard back, but today it shows on my status checker that a decision was rendered. My sister tells me that the email was snotty and they probably dinged me for being bitchy. I don't think it was bitchy, but now I am of course over-analyzing it...and being a TLS-er I want everyone else to over-analyze it as well! Just FYI my FAFSA was correct with my sex.

Any thoughts? Or just ride it out and see what come in the mail?
call the financial aid office and talk to them. forget the letter

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:11 pm

oh I guess that's what it takes to get a DR at mcgeorge...been waiting since 1/11...

being more serious - the letter doesn't sound too bad, but it could definitely be more courteous in the future. Remember, you are still trying to get into their law school. I doubt this email will get you dinged nor will the selective service filing, although it may delay your financial aid award packet until it's resolved. good luck let us know how it goes.

JDO

New

Post by JDO » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:02 am

Hello Everyone,

I went complete 2/22, under review 3/24, and Decision Rendered 4/2... nothing in the mail yet. I live within a half hour of the school but I haven't had an official tour. I wanted to go on April 17 but that depends on what decision was rendered...

Burnsie

New

Post by Burnsie » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:33 pm

yo! wrote:Your sister is on crack, it sounds fine to me. Some typos, yes. Bitchy, no.

Well, I received a ding yesterday, so no big deal now. Ding dated day after financial aid.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Niki

New

Post by Niki » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:38 pm

Is anyone going to the Legal Scholars Day on the 23rd? I'll be flying out and Iooking at apartments that weekend.

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:46 pm

yup i'll be there

Burnsie

New

Post by Burnsie » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:11 pm

Burnsie wrote:
yo! wrote:Your sister is on crack, it sounds fine to me. Some typos, yes. Bitchy, no.

Well, I received a ding yesterday, so no big deal now. Ding dated day after financial aid.

Okay, so EVERY schools received a bad FAFSA (saying I was male). I can't figure out how to right it or even how the problem occurred. Arghh. Now I look like some draft dodging shit stick to all my schools.

star10

New

Post by star10 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:05 pm

Hey guys, I got bored and started a Facebook group for next year's class. So if you are attending McGeorge in the Fall, join the McGeorge Law School: Class of 2013 Facebook group. There's not much up right now on the page, but hopefully we can start meeting some of our classmates for next fall :)

EDIT: Facebook group name is actually Pacific McGeorge School of Law: Class of 2013. Join!
Last edited by star10 on Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cwkenneth

New

Post by cwkenneth » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:22 am

I will be there

cbliang

New

Post by cbliang » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:10 pm

DR, but no seat deposit amounts.. should I be expecting a Rejection??? :( :(

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:15 pm

Nope...

I believe no trick exists for Mcgeorge. You'll just have to wait and find out via snail mail. Good luck!

shanoodle

New

Post by shanoodle » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:37 pm

Couldn’t find any definitive answer for this... Does the status go from "Complete" to "Under Review" to "Decision Rendered"? Or just “Complete” to “Decision Rendered”? I’ve been complete for a little over a month and just curious.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

M_bear

New

Post by M_bear » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:44 pm

It goes straight to "Decision Rendered"

shanoodle

New

Post by shanoodle » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:51 pm

M_bear wrote:It goes straight to "Decision Rendered"
Thanks much!

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:24 pm

Looks like McGeorge is back in the rankings... #98 (assuming all this news going on TLS is real)

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:01 pm

Norwood wrote:Looks like McGeorge is back in the rankings... #98 (assuming all this news going on TLS is real)
It's real.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”