Michigan ED Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rondemarino

Re: Michigan ED Applicants

Postby rondemarino » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:34 pm

bowie8285 wrote:its not one spot that worries me....it's a bigger decline in the future...if there is a trend here. uva and mich both have their pluses and minuses and it pretty much comes to a draw, that's why rankings/prestige often flip the coin (since i will be paying sticker)

Fine. If its a wash in the million other, more significant, considerations, then use the 2011 USNWR rankings as a tiebreaker.

FWIW, I think you should go to UVA. UVA will probably displace Michigan at #9 in 2011 and that way you will feel good about your choice of school for about 12 months.

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:39 pm

My apologies for you EDers waiting to get in. I've got no dog in this game and am probably screwing you out of spot by trying to convince anyone that Michigan isn't on the path to TTT.

bowie8285

Postby bowie8285 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:03 pm

Last edited by bowie8285 on Mon May 10, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bighead715

Postby bighead715 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:09 pm

not to start a mini-debate, but ive seen threads about the number of 170+s given out each exam. i forgot what the conclusion was from those threads...ronde?

if only certain amounts of these student are taken every cycle to the other elite schools, ie HYSCCN...then MVPB will still receive their quota of elite applicants...i wouldn't see a reason why a substantial number of applicants with stellar numbers to michigan would decline, nor do i see the matriculated number of said students declining.

the number of seats available at HYSCCN is still the same - from what I understand, the choice between MVPB then becomes one's preference, is it not? Michigan still places nationally, its not like all its graduates go into the small Detroit market, and only the small Detroit market. So why would the bad economy in Michigan impact its top law school which happens to reside in a thriving college town that is uniquely insulated from the bloodfest in what was one the industrial capitol of the US?

I don't see why Duke or NU would overtake michigan anytime soon, i dont see berkeley continuing at its current pace as berkeley's cost will hurt it a lot IMO as well as the idea that its OCIs were severely demolished (perception taken from various threads)...anyways, as ronde pointed out, 40% of the rankings is perception anyways and michigan will continue to carry an elite reputation nationally.

it still attracts stellar faculty, it is still in the good graces of lawyers and law schools, firms are generally satisfied michigan students, it still places strongly in clerkships, i don't think its OCIs were as bad as other places, it will open new and superb facilities in addition to its hogwartsness in 2012, etc. I mean if the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court visits, walks into 1L classes, and takes questions, then one can infer that the law school is still in great standing, again, IMO.

everything i stated is anecdotal :)

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:20 pm

bowie8285 wrote:law is an elitist profession, so sadly these rankings do have an effect....that being said i still give mich the slightest edge over V, and always love to hear reassuring comments about how great it is

No shit. Its a question of how fine you draw the line. Harvard is clearly better than Michigan. But you're talking one spot in the rankings. ONE! I'd love to meet a firm's head of recruitment who canceled OCI or raised grade cut-offs at Michigan because in the 2011 rankings Michigan dropped a point.

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:24 pm

bighead715 wrote:not to start a mini-debate, but ive seen threads about the number of 170+s given out each exam. i forgot what the conclusion was from those threads...ronde?

if only certain amounts of these student are taken every cycle to the other elite schools, ie HYSCCN...then MVPB will still receive their quota of elite applicants...i wouldn't see a reason why a substantial number of applicants with stellar numbers to michigan would decline, nor do i see the matriculated number of said students declining.

the number of seats available at HYSCCN is still the same - from what I understand, the choice between MVPB then becomes one's preference, is it not? Michigan still places nationally, its not like all its graduates go into the small Detroit market, and only the small Detroit market. So why would the bad economy in Michigan impact its top law school which happens to reside in a thriving college town that is uniquely insulated from the bloodfest in what was one the industrial capitol of the US?

I don't see why Duke or NU would overtake michigan anytime soon, i dont see berkeley continuing at its current pace as berkeley's cost will hurt it a lot IMO as well as the idea that its OCIs were severely demolished (perception taken from various threads)...anyways, as ronde pointed out, 40% of the rankings is perception anyways and michigan will continue to carry an elite reputation nationally.

it still attracts stellar faculty, it is still in the good graces of lawyers and law schools, firms are generally satisfied michigan students, it still places strongly in clerkships, i don't think its OCIs were as bad as other places, it will open new and superb facilities in addition to its hogwartsness in 2012, etc. I mean if the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court visits, walks into 1L classes, and takes questions, then one can infer that the law school is still in great standing, again, IMO.

everything i stated is anecdotal :)

LOL. I see the Michigan kool-aid tastes good. :D (which is ok, I can't imagine someone ED-ing to a school without loving it). I agree with your broad points (Michigan = strong school). I'll leave it there.

bighead715

Postby bighead715 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:29 pm

rondemarino wrote:
LOL. I see the Michigan kool-aid tastes good. :D (which is ok, I can't imagine someone ED-ing to a school without loving it). I agree with your broad points (Michigan = strong school). I'll leave it there.

uhh yaaaaa, the kool-aid? it tastes oh so fuckin good...

bowie8285

Postby bowie8285 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:46 pm

Last edited by bowie8285 on Mon May 10, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:52 pm

bowie8285 wrote:ummm wow, i really hope this is not true

http://www.epinions.com/review/educ-Law ... 8002520708

meh, even if it is you can find that anecdotal evidence from any law school.

bighead715

Postby bighead715 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

ehhhh, i think it would be prudent to see what current students say...i think awesomepossum is a minority student...

one of the comments showed that this guy's experience was from a while ago and i know for a fact people in ann arbor are not as cruel as he made them out to be, people are generally very nice up there

anyways, if youve been accepted ED, you're goin there so no point in fretting, everyone has their own experience and perception; if youve been accepted RD and are deciding - wait until ASW and see how you like it and compare it to other schools you visit, if you haven't been accepted yet, don't worry about it until you have to worry about it

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:59 pm

I recommend not graduating with 2.3 GPA. Those glasses give a whole new tint to the legal world.

My f-ing flight might finally be here. This has been fun bowie8285. If you're trying to find reasons not to go to Michigan, don't go. There's no gun being held to your head. Michigan being the highest ranked school you got into isn't a good enough reason to go there. Its a lousy reason, especially because the weather sucks donkeyballs in Ann Arbor (actually, its worse). I'd advise finding a school you'll be comfortable and happy at, mostly because that will put you in the best position to make good grades. What's the use in going to #8 instead of #9 if you're going to be miserable and end up doing poorly in class?

bighead715

Postby bighead715 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:09 pm

rondemarino wrote:

I recommend not graduating with 2.3 GPA. Those glasses give a whole new tint to the legal world.

My f-ing flight might finally be here. This has been fun bowie8285. If you're trying to find reasons not to go to Michigan, don't go. There's no gun being held to your head. Michigan being the highest ranked school you got into isn't a good enough reason to go there. Its a lousy reason, especially because the weather sucks donkeyballs in Ann Arbor (actually, its worse). I'd advise finding a school you'll be comfortable and happy at, mostly because that will put you in the best position to make good grades. What's the use in going to #8 instead of #9 if you're going to be miserable and end up doing poorly in class?

haha, i live in michigan - the cold isnt that bad once you learn how to live with it (ie proper clothing, automatic car starter, etc.). im assuming youre from a warm weather state ronde?

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:15 pm

bighead715 wrote:
rondemarino wrote:

haha, i live in michigan - the cold isnt that bad once you learn how to live with it (ie proper clothing, automatic car starter, etc.). im assuming youre from a warm weather state ronde?

In San Diego, where apparently even slightest drizzle causes complete havoc with air travel.

postitnotes

Postby postitnotes » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:19 pm

-
Last edited by postitnotes on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:16 am, edited 5 times in total.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:19 pm

rondemarino wrote:
bighead715 wrote:
rondemarino wrote:

In San Diego, where apparently even slightest drizzle causes complete havoc with air travel.

lol, this rain is a little pathetic, eh?

it took me 1 hr to do an in town errand this morning, old people and rain don't mix well.

beamsmehome

Postby beamsmehome » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:24 pm

Last edited by beamsmehome on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

postitnotes

Postby postitnotes » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:25 pm

-
Last edited by postitnotes on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

postitnotes

Postby postitnotes » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:37 pm

-

postitnotes

Postby postitnotes » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:48 pm

-

Aeon

Postby Aeon » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:56 pm

There's really no evidence to support the fact that Michigan will fall in the next set of rankings. According to the historical rankings as posted on this site, it's evident that Michigan's place in them has fluctuated quite a bit within the T10 since the inception of the US News rankings in 1987.

And what's up with so many from warmer climes beating up on Michigan's weather? Some of us actually like having all four seasons. :wink:

postitnotes

Postby postitnotes » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:10 pm

-

uganik

Postby uganik » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:31 pm

This review was written prior to Dean Evan H. Caminker becoming the dean of the Law School in 2001.
:) :lol: :)

I believe that he has had a tremendous positive influence on the school since then.....
8)

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:38 pm

I was just offered a job for next year, out of the blue, in my major. It doesn't pay that much, but comes with free housing and would give me a year to recover from UG. I might defer somewhere, if I don't get into Mich.

bees

Postby bees » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:24 am

Halibut6 wrote:I was just offered a job for next year, out of the blue, in my major. It doesn't pay that much, but comes with free housing and would give me a year to recover from UG. I might defer somewhere, if I don't get into Mich.

That's awesome, congrats. And people say the economy is bad...jobs appearing out of thin air. If you were a liberal arts major I think it is safe to declare the recession over.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:20 pm

bees wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:I was just offered a job for next year, out of the blue, in my major. It doesn't pay that much, but comes with free housing and would give me a year to recover from UG. I might defer somewhere, if I don't get into Mich.

That's awesome, congrats. And people say the economy is bad...jobs appearing out of thin air. If you were a liberal arts major I think it is safe to declare the recession over.

No liberal arts. It's a long story, but a former internship supervisor asked if I was interested and if so she wouldn't bother advertising the spot.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”