Michigan ED Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
babin.6

Re: Michigan ED Applicants

Postby babin.6 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:36 am

,as.kd
Last edited by babin.6 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aeon

Postby Aeon » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:41 am

babin.6 wrote:Sorry, What were numbers like for those who got in ED?

I don't recall off the top of my head, but have you had a chance to look at http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com? You can filter the results by University, ED status, and application cycle (among other criteria). I'd keep in mind that those numbers are self-reported, so they may be off, and are quite likely not representative of the entire pool of ED applicants.

With your numbers, though, I think you'd have stood a great chance at RD admission, Babin, meaning that there's an even greater chance of a favorable ED decision. :D

babin.6

Postby babin.6 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:43 am

,ZMX>c

babin.6

Postby babin.6 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:44 am

Z<D..c

Aeon

Postby Aeon » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:56 am

babin.6 wrote:Can someone please tell me what good softs would be? I've got a lot but its hard to establish what is really something special or what is just another internship or club membership.

I don't think there's any single definitive answer to this, to be honest. It really is different for each individual, and I'd reckon that it's the sum of softs that is key to admissions decisions. A compelling life story can also help put softs in perspective, I think.

Many here on TLS claim that numbers are pretty much the deciding factors in whether a school admits someone or not, and I think there is considerable merit to the view that admission to a school is strongly correlated with one's GPA and LSAT. Based on what I've read and heard, the type of softs you have isn't really that important per se, as long as you have some that show a moderate amount of commitment.

That being said, military service, Rhodes scholarships, having published/widely acclaimed works, etc., are usually considered top-of-the-line soft factors, as well as anything truly unusual or noteworthy, such as winning an Olympic gold medal.

Whereas a total lack of softs is likely to give an admissions committee pause, I'd think a decent smattering of clubs and/or internships, as well as some work experience, are pretty standard, and so are probably unlikely to significantly affect admissions decisions.

Just my 2¢.

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:55 am

LSN, Michigan, non-URM, ED, 2008-9

p.s: Unless you killed someone AND got caught, you're in (both numbers above median).

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:05 pm

rondemarino wrote:

p.s: Unless you killed someone AND got caught, you're in (both numbers above median).

None of those numbers were particularly close to mine. I suppose nealarino's were closest, and he got in, but my numbers are a fraction higher. That gives me hope.

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:06 pm

Another EDer here. Applied mid-October, got the status check during the first week of November. That lsn search scares me... My numbers are awfully close to Ted Moseby.

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:08 pm

Halibut6 wrote:
rondemarino wrote:

None of those numbers were particularly close to mine. I suppose nealarino's were closest, and he got in, but my numbers are a fraction higher. That gives me hope.

I don't want to terrify you, but Nealarino served in the Navy. That's a pretty sweet soft...

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:14 pm

John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:
rondemarino wrote:

I don't want to terrify you, but Nealarino served in the Navy. That's a pretty sweet soft...

This is true, and I don't have anything that compares with that. But I do have the best softs of anyone at my 4000-student UG, hands-down, so hopefully that will be judged favorably.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:18 pm

WENT COMPLETE ON NOV. 11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm officially in the ED pool!

My day just got significantly better!!!!!!!!!!

huarwfn

Postby huarwfn » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:06 pm

vidhartha gives me hope. *prays for splitter love*

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:58 pm

So what does everyone think about the summer start? I think it's less than ideal, but more than worth it to be able to have my cycle happily over in December.

snickersnicker

Postby snickersnicker » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:04 pm

I actually prefer summer start, especially since I'm planning to do a JD/MA. I also generally hate not being academically or intellectually active. Ann Arbor is great fun in the summer, too.

babin.6

Postby babin.6 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:07 pm

,ds.v.
Last edited by babin.6 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

babin.6 wrote:I talked to some people at the school about summer start and a lot of them told me that they wish they had done it. I hear that you make really good friends with the 90 or so over the summer. I think it will be nice and hopefully some of you will be there with me (if everything works out)

Definitely hope to be there.

snickersnicker

Postby snickersnicker » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:44 pm

Is anyone thinking of living in the Lawyer's Club? I don't think I would do it based on the price. It can be sort of difficult to find good housing near the LS that isn't douchebag party central, but living in dorms just seems like it would be a 100% bummer. If I end up at UM I'm considering trying to get a spot at the Metal Frat, haha.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:48 pm

I like dorm living, but I don't think I'll be at the LC. I want to have a dog and an apartment.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:50 pm

Halibut6 wrote:I like dorm living, but I don't think I'll be at the LC. I want to have a dog and an apartment.

+1 My yellow lab makes housing difficult

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:01 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:I like dorm living, but I don't think I'll be at the LC. I want to have a dog and an apartment.

+1 My yellow lab makes housing difficult

It's mostly outside pressure from my fiancee about the dog (she won't be living with me permanently, but probably will be staying with me during all breaks, including summer, pending summer employment). Probably going to end up with a jack russell.

Aeon

Postby Aeon » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:12 pm

Halibut6 wrote:WENT COMPLETE ON NOV. 11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm officially in the ED pool!

My day just got significantly better!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear that, Halibut, sounds like you made it in just in time!

The Summer Start is actually one of the reasons why I strongly favor Michigan over essentially any other school. The small section sounds like a great way to get to know people; plus, you take one less doctrinal class, meaning that you get to ease in to law school. Sounds like it's quite a bit less stressful than getting thrown into the mix in Fall with the full set of classes. Not to mention, summers in Michigan are awesome (except those days when it gets into the high 80s or 90s and it's humid).

As far as finding a place to live, I haven't really looked into that at the moment, as I wouldn't want to work myself up about it without actually having an admission offer in my hand. Wouldn't want to jinx it...

Knowing that the Admissions Office is probably looking over the ED applications right now, and we could quite literally start hearing back from them any day now is making me a bit anxious. :?

snickersnicker

Postby snickersnicker » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:33 pm

I like dorm living too. In fact, I've been an RA for three years. It just doesn't seem like it would be awesome during LS, and I want to be able to eat healthy foods and have my own kitchen and all that. In reality I'll end up eating at Big Ten Burrito two meals a day, but I like to keep the fantasy alive. Also hoping to get a dog (greyhound!), but a cat seems like a better bet since I likely won't be home a lot.

Along with everyone else, I am really eager to hear back from UM. I'll be really disappointed if I don't get in. :|

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:20 pm

snickersnicker wrote:I like dorm living too. In fact, I've been an RA for three years. It just doesn't seem like it would be awesome during LS, and I want to be able to eat healthy foods and have my own kitchen and all that. In reality I'll end up eating at Big Ten Burrito two meals a day, but I like to keep the fantasy alive. Also hoping to get a dog (greyhound!), but a cat seems like a better bet since I likely won't be home a lot.

I am also an RA, and I am ready to be done with residence life. An apartment relatively near campus without a lot of parties would be ideal.

babin.6

Postby babin.6 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:30 pm

<AS>dvmc,
Last edited by babin.6 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

snickersnicker

Postby snickersnicker » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:47 pm

Halibut6 wrote:I am also an RA, and I am ready to be done with residence life. An apartment relatively near campus without a lot of parties would be ideal.

What school are you at again? I'm done with res life too. At least as a housing employee. I would be fine living on-campus as just a resident, though.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”