Michigan ED Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Veritas

Re: Michigan ED Applicants

Postby Veritas » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:34 pm

stuffnuff wrote:
Veritas wrote:
stuffnuff wrote:
babin.6 wrote:Just wanna say good luck to all you EDers left. Maybe I'll get in RD.

Great. If babin.6 didn't get it, I guess that means my ass is hung to dry.

+ freaking 1

Veritas, if you see me rocking back and forth in the corner weeping...it's PTSD (Pre-Traumatic Stress Disorder).

:shock:

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:35 pm

stuffnuff wrote:
babin.6 wrote:Just wanna say good luck to all you EDers left. Maybe I'll get in RD.

Great. If babin.6 didn't get it, I guess that means my ass is hung to dry.

A lot of people with at least one score (GPA/LSAT) above median made it in (and babin was deferred apparently). I wouldn't worry too much.

stuffnuff

Postby stuffnuff » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:39 pm

rondemarino wrote:A lot of people with at least one score (GPA/LSAT) above median made it in (and babin was deferred apparently). I wouldn't worry too much.

I appreciate the kind words (particularly from a poster I respect). But I don't know how to interpret someone like babin (with both numbers at or above median) being refused from ED other than as a bellwether for my own upcoming rejection.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:40 pm

stuffnuff wrote:
rondemarino wrote:A lot of people with at least one score (GPA/LSAT) above median made it in (and babin was deferred apparently). I wouldn't worry too much.

I appreciate the kind words (particularly from a poster I respect). But I don't know how to interpret someone like babin (with both numbers at or above median) being refused from ED other than as a bellwether for my own upcoming rejection.

could be some extra considerations we don't know about. I think it's very hard to compare applicants in an ED pool.

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:41 pm

stuffnuff wrote:

So far, his/her rejection seems to be the exception. Not that its any comfort to babin. :(

stuffnuff

Postby stuffnuff » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:43 pm

Veritas wrote:could be some extra considerations we don't know about. I think it's very hard to compare applicants in an ED pool.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree; there could very well be other considerations. But since I have not cured any diseases or taken any bullets for a head of state, it's hard to imagine what considerations might spare me from the axe and not a stronger numbered candidate like babin.

babin.6

Postby babin.6 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:25 pm

I'm a
Last edited by babin.6 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

bees

Postby bees » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:59 pm

babin.6 wrote:I'm a guy by the way. If you guys have any ?'s pm me. I talked to dean Z for a while.

I'm pretty new to TLS as far as keeping up with these kinds of threads, but it seems like a lot of people are pulling for you so good luck and I bet an extended phone call can only help with your eventual RD decision as you've clearly shown an interest in the school.

uganik

Postby uganik » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:04 pm

Ditto-

Best of luck to you Babin!

bighead715

Postby bighead715 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:21 pm

in terms of ED, i think your PS and why mich really matter...

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:27 pm

bighead715 wrote:in terms of ED, i think your PS and why mich really matter...

I thought "Why X?" essays mattered a lot less for ED because there's no need to YP when the applicant has clearly indicated his number one choice.

bighead715

Postby bighead715 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:31 pm

im_blue wrote:

I thought "Why X?" essays mattered a lot less for ED because there's no need to YP when the applicant has clearly indicated his number one choice.

you could be absolutely right, but id think they'd want more information to work with in order to evaluate you as a candidate and that it wouldnt be for YP purposes as you indicated

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:33 pm

babin.6 wrote:I'm a guy by the way. If you guys have any ?'s pm me. I talked to dean Z for a while.

Did she say why you were deferred to RD? It just doesn't make sense!

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:37 pm

I want in PLEASE~

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:39 pm

Too much evidence to the contrary exists.

stuffnuff

Postby stuffnuff » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:40 pm

Veritas wrote:I want in PLEASE~

Pretty please.

uganik

Postby uganik » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:55 pm

Don't forget-

You've got to put a little sugar on top......!

stuffnuff

Postby stuffnuff » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:57 pm

uganik wrote:Don't forget-

You've got to put a little sugar on top......

That may help to get this bitter taste out of my mouth.

bighead715

Postby bighead715 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:59 pm

rondemarino wrote:

so they were after my and snicker's LSDAS GPA?

stuffnuff

Postby stuffnuff » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:03 pm

bighead715 wrote:
rondemarino wrote:

That's what my money is on. You are both near 4.0 and you are both also in-state (for what that's worth to them).

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:09 pm

bighead715 wrote:
rondemarino wrote:

I'm sure you guys are awesome people, and submitting a crappy application would certainly result in a ding, but do you honestly believe there aren't people with numbers a little bit below both medians who don't have better ECs, statements and "Why M" essays than you?

bighead715

Postby bighead715 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:11 pm

rondemarino wrote:
bighead715 wrote:
rondemarino wrote:

I'm sure you guys are awesome people, and submitting a crappy application would certainly result in a ding, but do you honestly believe there aren't people with numbers a little bit below both medians who don't have better ECs, statements and "Why M" essays than you?

lol i thought my why mich sucked :D

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:13 pm

There's nothing wrong with admissions being so numbers driven. Its hard to peer into the lives of 5,000 applicants. Lines have to be drawn somewhere.

stuffnuff

Postby stuffnuff » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:25 pm

rondemarino wrote:There's nothing wrong with admissions being so numbers driven. Its hard to peer into the lives of 5,000 applicants. Lines have to be drawn somewhere.

Agreed. But on the flip side, there are strong # candidates like babin whose fates are now up in the air. Ultimately, I know the schools can (and do) choose people based on whatever the hell they want, but that probably won't stop me from trying to find the pattern...even if it's the futile effort I'm sure it is.

Aeon

Postby Aeon » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:36 pm

Sorry to hear about that, Babin. :( To be entirely honest, I wouldn't be discouraged, as it sounds like you've been rolled over into the RD pool (and not outright denied). With your numbers, you will certainly be competitive there, and it also frees you up to apply elsewhere, if you haven't done so already. There may be a reason why you were moved to RD, and if your phone conversation with Dean Z went well, then that may be a plus for you, as she's bound to remember. It's also possible that Michigan would prefer to consider you for the Fall term, to which you cannot be admitted vie ED. Either way, this is largely guesswork and inferences on my part, but allow me to wish you the best of luck with your cycle!

stuffnuff wrote:
rondemarino wrote:There's nothing wrong with admissions being so numbers driven. Its hard to peer into the lives of 5,000 applicants. Lines have to be drawn somewhere.

Agreed. But on the flip side, there are strong # candidates like babin whose fates are now up in the air. Ultimately, I know the schools can (and do) choose people based on whatever the hell they want, but that probably won't stop me from trying to find the pattern...even if it's the futile effort I'm sure it is.

I think it's reasonable enough to conclude that Michigan has as holistic a review process as any among the top schools. I get the sense that the school is more willing to take chances on people who might not have the highest numbers, but who present compelling applications.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”