Michigan ED Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Aeon

Silver

Re: Michigan ED Applicants

Post by Aeon » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:40 pm

babin.6 wrote:No dorm living for me cause I'm going to be a daddy. I checked out the family housing. Its ok, I guess it'd be good for the first year. The girl who showed me the school said that she suggests living off campus. You get more for the money and you can get your head out of law school. I think living in the dorms would be too intense. Your whole life would be Law School Law School Law School and it is already going to be close to that. I think living off campus gives you some kinda escape. Thats just my opinion
First of all, let me say congratulations on your future fatherhood, Babin, must be an exciting (and stressful!) time for you.

Living at the University Family Housing has its benefits and drawbacks as far as Law School is concerned. On the one hand, it's specifically equipped for families, and University Housing is pretty good at what they do, so it would likely be fairly easy to move in. The fact that they're owned and operated by the University is nice, too, as it provides a degree of security as far as what you get. Also, they're located in a much quieter area of town that is away from the hustle and bustle of Central Campus and Downtown.

This is also a potential drawback, since North Campus is quite a bit away from Central and especially the Law School. The distance is certainly walkable, but it's a couple miles or so one way, and biking can be a pain in the winter. Bus service is provided for free by the University commuter buses, so if you're okay with that, then no worries - they run very regularly and pretty much always on-time.

babin.6

New

Post by babin.6 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:26 pm

lSLD,vc
Last edited by babin.6 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

babin.6

New

Post by babin.6 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:32 pm

as,dmfa
Last edited by babin.6 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:40 pm

babin.6 wrote:Aeon you seem to have a great amount of insight. How do you know so much? Are you an admissions counselor mid-nighting as a prospective law student (haha)? Anyways with as much as you know about admissions I don't forsee any road blocks in your admissions cycle. Good luck to you!
Hah-hah! No, if I were with the Admissions Office I'd be working overtime to get the ED applications sorted. :wink:

I'm a student here at Michigan, so I'm pretty familiar with Ann Arbor over the several years that I've spent here, having trawled about it regularly over that time. It really is a great place to live, and I'd love to spend the next three years here (I really like Michigan as a state in general, although the current economic troubles are disheartening, as is the state budget for this coming fiscal year...luckily Michigan Law gets a negligible amount of money from the state - 1 to 3% of its funds - so it's in pretty good shape right now).

I have spent way too much of my time reading up on the law school admissions process (I guess I'm obsessive about the process, much like about 99% of TLSers...hah!). I've only recently created this account but have been browsing these forums for a long while.

Thanks for your kind wishes, they're very much appreciated! :)

babin.6

New

Post by babin.6 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:17 pm

asdfka
Last edited by babin.6 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:30 pm

babin.6 wrote:Yeah I'm excited Ann Arbor was a really cool college town. I see the only problem with the town being the sports fans (seeing as I'm a buckeye(thats right a buckeye and those are parenthesis inside parenthesis) and I'm a buckeye fan). Anyways I'm sure we can all put aside our petty differences (maybe).
LOL...I wouldn't recommend wearing any OSU gear around town, especially shortly after this Saturday, when I would be very surprised if we don't get soundly beaten by Ohio. :oops: In any case, I can say that I'd be honored to attend Michigan with you, sir, even if you are a Buckeyes fan. Be prepared for ceaseless jibes and other good-natured teasing, though. :mrgreen:

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:03 am

I've always been both a Wisconsin fan (my dad graduated from UW-Oshkosh) and an Illinois fan (grew up in Illinois). I'd be very willing to set those allegiances aside if I go to UMich though - in a heartbeat.

ilovelawapps

Bronze

Post by ilovelawapps » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:53 am

Just wanted to say whats up and good luck to my fellow Michigan ED'ers.

babin.6

New

Post by babin.6 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:38 pm

m,nm
Last edited by babin.6 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:08 pm

babin.6 wrote:anyone get a status checker today?
No - I applied three weeks ago, went complete 11/11, and still don't have it. :(

I got into William and Mary today - a poor substitute for UMich, but nonetheless....

jcgolf88

New

Post by jcgolf88 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:49 pm

Haven't heard a thing =/ Congrats on William and Mary, Halibut!

babin.6

New

Post by babin.6 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:51 pm

,m.
Last edited by babin.6 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:04 pm

babin.6 wrote:Got my status checker today. I have a super nervous anxous feeling, its like the first day of school or a first date, I've got butterflies in my stomach and everything (kinda gay huh?). God I hope I get in!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This sounds familiar... you just posted this same message in the Mich applicants thread....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

babin.6

New

Post by babin.6 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:10 pm

.,m
Last edited by babin.6 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:14 pm

babin.6 wrote:yeah that was an accident I meant to post here.
:) What this really means is that I am too addicted to TLS and I need to somehow be able to kick the habit, because there is no way I should have picked up on that this quickly.

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:40 pm

Halibut6 wrote:
babin.6 wrote:yeah that was an accident I meant to post here.
:) What this really means is that I am too addicted to TLS and I need to somehow be able to kick the habit, because there is no way I should have picked up on that this quickly.
The only known antidote to the specific strain of TLS addiction that you have is admission to the University of Michigan Law School. :mrgreen: At the very least, it's the first step in recovery. :wink:

Great to hear that you got your status checker today, Babin!

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:04 pm

I switched to ED!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

snickersnicker

Bronze

Post by snickersnicker » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:04 pm

Veritas wrote:I switched to ED!
Awesome! Looks like there could be a huge TLS presence at UM again next year!

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:07 pm

Great to hear, Veritas! Best of luck!
snickersnicker wrote:Awesome! Looks like there could be a huge TLS presence at UM again next year!
Here's to hoping there is.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:07 pm

snickersnicker wrote:
Veritas wrote:I switched to ED!
Awesome! Looks like there could be a huge TLS presence at UM again next year!
fingers crossed.

The admissions office is so kind!

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:07 pm

Aeon wrote:Great to hear, Veritas! Best of luck!
snickersnicker wrote:Awesome! Looks like there could be a huge TLS presence at UM again next year!
Thanks, I'm really excited now.

We have until Dec. to hear?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:11 pm

Veritas wrote:
Aeon wrote:Great to hear, Veritas! Best of luck!
Thanks, I'm really excited now.

We have until Dec. to hear?
Yep, December 15 is the ED response deadline for UMich. I think most of us are hoping to hear back earlier than that, though; according to LSN, ED people last year started hearing back around November 22. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for either this week or next week, but theoretically it could be any time over the next month.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Cool. I've never been there before, but I'm in love with the school.

I was holding off on ED in case Boalt came through, but really, Mich has my heart.

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Veritas wrote:Mich has my heart.
+1

Just like in Pirates of the Caribbean with Davey Jones's heart. Michigan literally has mine. Srsly.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:19 pm

Yeah, it's not even close for me. I'd pick Mich over HS and maybe even Y, if I had the numbers to get in there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”