Michigan ED Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ilovelawapps

Bronze

Re: Michigan ED Applicants

Post by ilovelawapps » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:39 am

Halibut6 wrote:Yeah, it's not even close for me. I'd pick Mich over HS and maybe even Y, if I had the numbers to get in there.
Me too. I wish I wasnt below both medians :|

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:43 am

I'm a reverse splitter at Michigan, and from what I hear I'd rather be a high-LSAT splitter. Ugh.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:30 pm

Halibut6 wrote:I'm a reverse splitter at Michigan, and from what I hear I'd rather be a high-LSAT splitter. Ugh.
+1 for me too.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:38 pm

Veritas wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:I'm a reverse splitter at Michigan, and from what I hear I'd rather be a high-LSAT splitter. Ugh.
+1 for me too.
I see that - you and I have quite similar numbers on LSN.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:57 pm

Halibut6 wrote:
Veritas wrote:
+1 for me too.
I see that - you and I have quite similar numbers on LSN.
oh yea? I'll have to go check it out. Are you using the same name as on here?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:50 pm

Veritas wrote:oh yea? I'll have to go check it out. Are you using the same name as on here?
No, BethpageBlack.

To be completely honest, I made the two accounts on the same day and picked them out based off of random things I saw. Something about fish prompted halibut6 and something about golf prompted BethpageBlack. Halibut is a fish I have never seen or eaten, and Blackpage Black is a golf course I have never played. Pretty random, I think (Freud would say otherwise).

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:00 pm

Looks like ED decisions won't be going out this week after all. :?

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Aeon wrote:Looks like ED decisions won't be going out this week after all. :?
:(

In the early part of this week, I was feeling really optimistic about my chances at getting in, especially being ED and whatnot, but I'm starting to really think about the fact that people with my numbers on TLShave only a 16% chance of getting into Mich, not factoring ED into the equation. I am still hoping, though, that they will see something in my application that impresses them. I wrote my Why Mich about the clinical offerings, and honestly this is what truly drew me to them initially. I would have wanted to go there even if they were just a T-20, if they still had their ideal location and atmosphere, factored in with the Michigan Innocence Clinic and Child Advocacy Clinic.

Let me in!

babin.6

New

Post by babin.6 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:47 pm

mj,nl.
Last edited by babin.6 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rondemarino

Silver

Post by rondemarino » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:59 pm

babin.6 wrote:I've decided that the EDers at Michigan are the most neurotic people on this site. Theres only a handful of us and our thread is always on the first page of Acceptances denials and admissions. HAHA
Nope. UCLA thread.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:13 pm

rondemarino wrote:
babin.6 wrote:I've decided that the EDers at Michigan are the most neurotic people on this site. Theres only a handful of us and our thread is always on the first page of Acceptances denials and admissions. HAHA
Nope. UCLA thread.
If you're referring to the "UCLA?" thread, then I agree - I always see that on the front page. I applied to UCLA, but I've never been to that thread.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:12 pm

Looking at the last couple years on LSN, most ED applicants who get accepted do so sometime between 11/22 and 11/26.

I don't even have a status checker yet, so I'm going to be listening to my phone anxiously in the hope that Dean Z gives me a ring.

snickersnicker

Bronze

Post by snickersnicker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:39 am

Halibut6 wrote:Looking at the last couple years on LSN, most ED applicants who get accepted do so sometime between 11/22 and 11/26.

I don't even have a status checker yet, so I'm going to be listening to my phone anxiously in the hope that Dean Z gives me a ring.
Yeah, I posted this in the other UM thread. If I don't get my decision sometime this week and other EDers do, I'm going to be seriously distraught. I shouldn't be, though. My numbers are so mediocre-to-weak for UM.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:43 am

snickersnicker wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:Looking at the last couple years on LSN, most ED applicants who get accepted do so sometime between 11/22 and 11/26.

Yeah, I posted this in the other UM thread. If I don't get my decision sometime this week and other EDers do, I'm going to be seriously distraught. I shouldn't be, though. My numbers are so mediocre-to-weak for UM.
Most ED applicants have "mediocre-to-weak" stats for schools, or else they wouldn't limit themselves to that school. And yet law schools still admit these people in ED.

For me, people with my stats get into UM with ED about 3/5 of the time, but in RD only about 1/10 of the time, it seems. I'm happy with my decision to go ED.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:26 am

I'm anxious about this week. I definitely feel like some decisions will be made.

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:43 am

Halibut6 wrote:
snickersnicker wrote:

Most ED applicants have "mediocre-to-weak" stats for schools, or else they wouldn't limit themselves to that school. And yet law schools still admit these people in ED.

For me, people with my stats get into UM with ED about 3/5 of the time, but in RD only about 1/10 of the time, it seems. I'm happy with my decision to go ED.
Yeah, all the ED anxiety here and elsewhere is pretty irrational. We haven't even hit Thanksgiving yet for God's sake.

Think about it strategically: why would a school rush through decisions for their EDers when those applicants are still bound to attend whether they admit them now or a month from now? And, more importantly, why would they commit to a bunch of (typically) borderline applicants before waiting to get some semblance of an idea about how things are shaping up?

I understand the why people are nervous and impatient (I'm ED somewhere myself) but the bitterness and and anxiety at this point is ridiculous.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:53 am

Avocado, historically, on LSN, Mich makes a round of ED decisions before Thanksgiving. Please, lets us be neurotic in peace.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:08 am

Veritas wrote:Avocado, historically, on LSN, Mich makes a round of ED decisions before Thanksgiving. Please, lets us be neurotic in peace.
Oh, I know. Michigan is quite high on my list, and I've been paying close attention to the UM threads and LSN. I also think you're right that there will be some decisions upcoming this week and my post wasn't directed at you (FWIW). It was more aimed at all the "OMG RD PEOPLE HAVE HEARD BACK ALREADY WTF WHY DID I APPLY ED" stuff out there.

I also know that this process is nerve-wracking. But there really isn't any reason for people to be bitter or "seriously distraught" at this point.

Anyhow, I'll go back to lurking in the shadows from now on. Best of luck :)

snickersnicker

Bronze

Post by snickersnicker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:05 am

AngryAvocado wrote:But there really isn't any reason for people to be bitter or "seriously distraught" at this point.
Eh, a great deal more than just where I end up going to law school is riding on my UM acceptance. Some of it is slightly urgent, and getting good news from Michigan in this coming week would be a huge relief.

Hopefullawstudent

Bronze

Post by Hopefullawstudent » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:40 am

Fellow EDer here. You know, now I am sort of regretting my PS. I wrote a PS that alluded to my maturity and experiences in graduate school. Maybe I should have taken the opposite route and written about my childhood in Ann Arbor, how many of my life's most significant moments somehow revolved around the UofM.

I guess growing up somehwere like Ann Arbor, you really lose sight of just how interwoven the university is with the permanent residents there. When you REALLY love a place, as with a person, I think it's easy to miss (as in, not appreciate as you should) the most obvious reason you have for going back: because it made you the person you are today and it has so much more to teach you about yourself.

Too many of us Ann Arborites consider the town too provincial. It's not until you live in "bigger" cities that you realize that it's places like Ann Arbor that really change the world..

Sorry, I'm slightly drunk, it's 5 am, and I miss Ann Arbor.

-HL

shaville

New

Post by shaville » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:21 am

I applied ED a week into November and still don't have the status checker- I feel your anxiety! To be honest, I'm actually getting increasingly nervous about getting into Michigan- specifically, about the possibility of accruing 200k in debt to go there! Ahhh, this is scary!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:38 am

AngryAvocado wrote:It was more aimed at all the "OMG RD PEOPLE HAVE HEARD BACK ALREADY WTF WHY DID I APPLY ED" stuff out there.
In all fairness, I haven't really seen these sentiments here in the Michigan ED thread. We're all stoically neurotic. :P
Hopefullawstudent wrote:Fellow EDer here. You know, now I am sort of regretting my PS. I wrote a PS that alluded to my maturity and experiences in graduate school. Maybe I should have taken the opposite route and written about my childhood in Ann Arbor, how many of my life's most significant moments somehow revolved around the UofM.
Aw, Hopeful, did you mention some of this in a "Why Michigan?" essay?

I definitely know where everyone is coming from. Historically, ED acceptances have gone out shortly before Thanksgiving, and knowing that there is a considerable chance that they might start going out this week has got me a bit on my toes, too. :|

Good luck, everyone!

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:36 am

Veritas wrote:Avocado, historically, on LSN, Mich makes a round of ED decisions before Thanksgiving. Please, lets us be neurotic in peace.
Veritas, you are ED at Michigan?? I thought you were thinking ED at UVA?

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:27 am

Could be today....

Do admits always go out as status checker/mail packages only, or do they sometimes call?

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:43 am

Halibut6 wrote:Could be today....

Do admits always go out as status checker/mail packages only, or do they sometimes call?
I don't recall hearing that Michigan calls to inform applicants that they'd been admitted, but I could be mistaken.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”