Michigan ED Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
babin.6

New

Michigan ED Applicants

Post by babin.6 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:00 pm

asdfasf
Last edited by babin.6 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

jcgolf88

New

Re: Michigan ED Applicants

Post by jcgolf88 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:03 pm

I haven't heard a thing. Submitted 10/29, app received 11/4. I read somewhere that status checkers go out every Wednesday so keep your fingers crossed. When did you submit?

babin.6

New

Post by babin.6 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:08 pm

I Z<x.vm
Last edited by babin.6 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

snickersnicker

Bronze

Post by snickersnicker » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:51 pm

Sent 10/16, Received, 10/22, Complete 11/04. Got my status checker on 10/24. Haven't heard a peep aside from that. Last year, 11/22 had four or five people getting acceptances, and those were the first ED decisions (on LSN at least).

Are a lot of you applying ED Michigan residents? What school did you go to/are you going to? I'm at Eastern. Yes...Eastern. Hopefully Michigan can look past that!

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:57 pm

I'm biting my nails - submitted on Nov. 3, received Nov. 9 (I think). I hope to God I went complete by yesterday. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to suffer the fate of RD.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:09 pm

Another Michigan ED'er reporting for duty. I sent in my application mid-September (leaning toward the later half of the month), and got the Status Checker fairly early in October. Sorry to hear that not everyone has them yet; I wouldn't be surprised if Michigan were inundated with applications at the moment, though, so maybe it's taking them a bit of time to get all the Status Checkers out. Although one would think they'd get them to the ED folks as soon as possible!
snickersnicker wrote:Are a lot of you applying ED Michigan residents? What school did you go to/are you going to?
Yep, Michigan resident and Wolverine here. Our football team isn't doing very well at the moment. :| But don't worry, you EMU folks are our next door neighbors - we squabble sometimes, but generally get along. :lol:

huarwfn

New

Post by huarwfn » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:22 pm

Submitted 10/6. Got status checker 10/21, not a peep since. I'm out of state (Berkeley) and I am freaking out~~~

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:28 pm

From the looks of it, Michigan hasn't started sending our ED decisions yet, Huar, so I wouldn't be too concerned. I believe it was you, Babin, who mentioned on the main UMich thread in this forum that they said that they'll start reviewing our applications after the Nov. 15 deadline? I probably wouldn't expect any responses until at the very earliest at the end of this week, and that may well be unlikely (pure speculation on my part, though, I'm just estimating).

halfbrown

New

Post by halfbrown » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:40 pm

Another ed applicant here. Submitted late September and got the status checker 10/21. I hope you guys are right about nov 15 I am so nervous.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

snickersnicker

Bronze

Post by snickersnicker » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:01 am

Aeon wrote:Yep, Michigan resident and Wolverine here. Our football team isn't doing very well at the moment. :| But don't worry, you EMU folks are our next door neighbors - we squabble sometimes, but generally get along. :lol:
Good to hear! I'm not a huge fan of Michigan as a university, and I'm a Spartan fan when it comes to athletics, but I really only care about hockey so it doesn't even count. The law school seems like a great fit though. I lived with law and grad students this past summer (right on the corner of Tappan and Hill actually) and they were great guys; every time I've interacted with admissions staff or other law students has been a really positive experience as well.

If you don't mind sharing, what are your numbers? Feel free to PM them if that's better for you.

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:07 am

I hate to say it, but State is doing pretty well this year as far as sports. :lol: I would agree that the law students at UMich are awesome, I'd interacted with a few and they were all splendid folks.

(Numbers PMed, by the way.)

babin.6

New

Post by babin.6 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:24 am

mz,xc

uganik

Bronze

Post by uganik » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:42 am

Go Michigan!!!

I'm ED as well-

Sent 10/8

Status Checker 10/24

Complete 10/24

I hope we all get in- after all, we're the only ones intelligent enough to go ED with Michigan & be on TLS!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Elysium09

New

Post by Elysium09 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:48 am

Originally from Michigan, but graduated from Brown last May. Applied ED. Sent out on 10/26. App went complete on Nov 2. No status checker yet though.

I took a year off to get some employment experience/put my degree to some use.

Hope to be with everyone in Ann Arbor next summer!

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:48 am

Elysium09 wrote:Origianlly from Michigan, but graduated from Brown last May. Applied ED. Sent out on 10/26. App went complete on Nov 2. No status checker yet though.

Did they send you an email when you went complete?

Elysium09

New

Post by Elysium09 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:55 am

No, I called to make sure my file was complete.
Halibut6 wrote:
Elysium09 wrote:Origianlly from Michigan, but graduated from Brown last May. Applied ED. Sent out on 10/26. App went complete on Nov 2. No status checker yet though.

snickersnicker

Bronze

Post by snickersnicker » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:56 am

Hmm...well everyone who gets in ED does summer start (per the Michigan Law website), so if what they told you is correct, only around thirty people be accepted ED. That seems possible. I feel like a lot fewer people apply ED to UM than to UVA or Columbia or Georgetown just because of the median numbers at UM.

If this means anything, thirteen people marked their UM applications as ED last year on LSN (five acceptances), and twenty-one did so the prior year (eleven acceptances).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:01 am

Elysium09 wrote:No, I called to make sure my file was complete.
Halibut6 wrote:

I'll call in the morning. I won't have any recourse if it's not complete, but I really want to know.

I'm a bit of a longshot based on my numbers (in the neighborhood of 20% on LSN; about 25th for LSAT, above 75th for GPA), but even before I started preparing for admissions, Michigan has been my dream school - ticks me off I couldn't get my app in earlier, for reasons I couldn't completely control.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:43 am

snickersnicker wrote:Hmm...well everyone who gets in ED does summer start (per the Michigan Law website), so if what they told you is correct, only around thirty people be accepted ED. That seems possible. I feel like a lot fewer people apply ED to UM than to UVA or Columbia or Georgetown just because of the median numbers at UM.

If this means anything, thirteen people marked their UM applications as ED last year on LSN (five acceptances), and twenty-one did so the prior year (eleven acceptances).
Last year, all ~80 LSN applicants (non-URM) with both numbers below median were rejected, with or without ED. Applying that rule to the 12 ED applicants listed for this cycle, only 2 applicants have any chance at admission.

snickersnicker

Bronze

Post by snickersnicker » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:22 am

im_blue wrote:Last year, all ~80 LSN applicants (non-URM) with both numbers below median were rejected, with or without ED. Applying that rule to the 12 ED applicants listed for this cycle, only 2 applicants have any chance at admission.
Thankfully my GPA is way above both their median and 75th, so I think I've got a good shot. I've seen a few people with numbers around mine get in during previous cycles, even non-ED applicants.
Last edited by snickersnicker on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

rondemarino

Silver

Post by rondemarino » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:40 am

im_blue wrote:
snickersnicker wrote:Hmm...well everyone who gets in ED does summer start (per the Michigan Law website), so if what they told you is correct, only around thirty people be accepted ED. That seems possible. I feel like a lot fewer people apply ED to UM than to UVA or Columbia or Georgetown just because of the median numbers at UM.

Last year, all ~80 LSN applicants (non-URM) with both numbers below median were rejected, with or without ED. Applying that rule to the 12 ED applicants listed for this cycle, only 2 applicants have any chance at admission.
+1. Without earth-shattering softs (Rhodes, cured cancer), schools have no incentive to admit, via ED, a candidate who is below both medians. Especially in a cycle where the number of applicants are expected to increase.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bighead715

Bronze

Post by bighead715 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:49 am

stop breaking my heart guys

bighead715

Bronze

Post by bighead715 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:54 am

not like i had a realistic hope anyway...but i still <3 michigan

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:31 am

babin.6 wrote:I was talking to the Admissions people and they told me that only 30 or so of the early start people are ED. So I don't know if that's good or bad. I wonder how many poeple actually apply ED. Does anybody have stats on how many people apply ED?
Only 30? According to Michigan's site, around half of the Summer Start class are ED applicants, and if I'm not mistaken, the Summer Starters are about 90 in number. I had estimated along the lines of 40 to 50 ED'ers getting in each year, although if the Admissions Office said 30, I guess I see no reason not to believe them.

Thirty is such a small number, though. :?
snickersnicker wrote:I feel like a lot fewer people apply ED to UM than to UVA or Columbia or Georgetown just because of the median numbers at UM.
I think this is a valid point. Good news for those of who do apply ED!

babin.6

New

Post by babin.6 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:34 am

>Xz.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”