Dumbest things overheard at law school fair Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CyLaw

Gold

Re: Dumbest things overheard at law school fair

Post by CyLaw » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:16 pm

You guys do know that admission reps at law school fairs talk to each other right. And that if you act like a dbag at one table, they may talk to others about it.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:25 pm

CyLaw wrote:You guys do know that admission reps at law school fairs talk to each other right. And that if you act like a dbag at one table, they may talk to others about it.
You'd have to be a pretty big douche for that to happen... not to mention douchey enough for people to write your name down in case you apply.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:27 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:You guys do know that admission reps at law school fairs talk to each other right. And that if you act like a dbag at one table, they may talk to others about it.
You'd have to be a pretty big douche for that to happen... not to mention douchey enough for people to write your name down in case you apply.
True. But something still to be aware of before acting like an idiot in front of some school.

SpaceDawg

Bronze

Post by SpaceDawg » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:29 pm

Or just in general don't be a dick in life.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:33 pm

SpaceDawg wrote:Or just in general don't be a dick in life.
if i weren't a dick, I'd have about 9600 fewer posts on this website.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:40 pm

JayTal wrote:* Another UNC rep

Me: "I have a question about admissions. Let's say you have numbers at the medians and that you're an out-of-state applicant. What are your chances of being admitted? I'm assuming that since 75% of your class has to be in-state, you would need numbers well above the medians to be considered."

Rep (young girl sitting in a chair behind a table while all the other reps are standing): "I'd say your chances are very good."

Me: "Really? I'd assume with your in-state admissions criteria, one would need higher numbers."

Rep: "No. We generally accept 60% in-state, and 40% out-of-state applicants. It's just that out-of-state applicant's tend to turn our acceptances down more than in-state applicants."

Me: "...so...75% of each J.D. class does not have to be in-state?"

Rep: "No. It just usually averages out that way."

Me: *Laughing out loud. The other people at the table staring at me. I put the viewbook back on the table and turn and walk away.
i dont get it...these posts used to be funny, now its more like personal humor. can we keep it to the obviously stupid?

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:47 pm

JOThompson wrote:One of the Duke adcomms was telling us about crazy personal statements. A few years back, an applicant cut his essay into tiny strips of paper and stuffed them into a Chinese takeout box, forcing the adcomms to piece the statement together.
Wait, what confused me on this post is did Duke actually spend the time to piece it together? If so, why?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:51 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
babaghanouj wrote:Have had innumerable conversations this semester with law school-bound kids attesting--despite all evidence to the contrary--that our regional TTTT is a "decent" school and that "you can do anything" with a law degree from there. By now I've given up on the gentle (and always ignored) suggestion that that's not the best idea ITE, and pretty much just ask whether they're telling me this or themselves...
This happens to me constantly.

Thank goodness no one says that about our local T4s (you know the ones.) Cycle news? I miss regular TLS contact. (I assume you will eventually attend CLS. (Given your numbers, there is no way they can reject you outright). I'm a fatalist about law school admissions.)

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:52 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
babaghanouj wrote:Have had innumerable conversations this semester with law school-bound kids attesting--despite all evidence to the contrary--that our regional TTTT is a "decent" school and that "you can do anything" with a law degree from there. By now I've given up on the gentle (and always ignored) suggestion that that's not the best idea ITE, and pretty much just ask whether they're telling me this or themselves...

Thank goodness no one says that about our local T4s (you know the ones.) Cycle news? I miss regular TLS contact.
I am apparently out everywhere. hth

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:53 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Frustrating part for me is that, within my home city, that mindset actually works out very well. So then I'm the dbag at the table who is all elitist.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:56 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Thank goodness no one says that about our local T4s (you know the ones.) Cycle news? I miss regular TLS contact.
I am apparently out everywhere. hth
See PM.

babaghanouj

Bronze

Post by babaghanouj » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:56 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Frustrating part for me is that, within my home city, that mindset actually works out very well. So then I'm the dbag at the table who is all elitist.
exactly! I'm starting to just play along because it's more comfortable than the alternative... I hate fessing up to the fact that I'm not even applying to the local favorite...

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:28 pm

babaghanouj wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
exactly! I'm starting to just play along because it's more comfortable than the alternative... I hate fessing up to the fact that I'm not even applying to the local favorite...
I explained to people in a bar how shitty the local TTT is, after like the third time that night that someone informed me how great it was. I offended about 4 pple who were alums from there. Decided never to speak to these plebians about law schools again.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

initech

Bronze

Post by initech » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:50 pm

I was at the Chicago Forum and I couldn't help but sort-of follow around this guy that was going from table to table with the same introduction question: "Can I have a fee waiver?"

I liked watching the representatives' reactions.

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:07 pm

initech wrote:I was at the Chicago Forum and I couldn't help but sort-of follow around this guy that was going from table to table with the same introduction question: "Can I have a fee waiver?"

I liked watching the representatives' reactions.

Man, stories like these make me want to not be a lawyer and be an adcomm instead. I'd have some awesome stories to tell at dinner parties.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:13 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:Not overheard at a law school fair, but a real gem.

Dumb girl to dumb friend: "My family says I should go to law school because I argue a lot. I think I'd be good at law school." [inane chatter about getting bad grades in chemistry] "I think the problem is that I can't apply rules to new situations. Like, I can memorize the rule, but then when they want me to apply it, I can't do that."
:lol:

HJO

Bronze

Post by HJO » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:20 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:I think we should set up a TLS.com table at every law fair, to give people a hard dose of guntastic reality
EPIC

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SpaceDawg

Bronze

Post by SpaceDawg » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:38 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
SpaceDawg wrote:Or just in general don't be a dick in life.
if i weren't a dick, I'd have about 9600 fewer posts on this website.

Good humor cancels out dickishness.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:00 pm

Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sat May 02, 2015 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

underachiever

Bronze

Post by underachiever » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:10 pm

This is from a year ago but I'll never forget it.

I'm standing in line at a table & the table behind me is Yale's...loudly over my shoulder I hear

Man "Could I be admitted to Yale?"

Yale Rep. "You could, depending on several factors...."

Man, cuts her off, "I mean, I attended Undergrad and Medical School at Yale I didn't if you can only graduate from Yale a certain amount times." followed by douche-bag laugh.

Yale Rep. "No, Sir we have no such cap on degrees that I know of"

Guy in line in front of me, turns around, and staring at the Yale man asks him "What sort of loser MD needs to go to law school?"

Yale man walks away, while Yale rep laughs...made me smile
Last edited by underachiever on Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Inygma

Silver

Post by Inygma » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:36 pm

underachiever wrote:This is from a year ago but I'll never forget it.

I'm standing in line at a table & the table behind me is Yale's...loudly over my shoulder I hear

Man "Could I be admitted to Yale?"

Yale Rep. "You could, depending on several factors...."

Man, cuts her off, "I mean, I attended Undergrad and Medical School at Yale I didn't if you can only graduate from Yale a certain about times." followed by douche-bag laugh.

Yale Rep. "No, Sir we have no such cap on degrees that I know of"

Guy in line in front of me, turns around, and staring at the Yale man asks him "What sort of loser MD needs to go to law school?"

Yale man walks away, while Yale rep laughs...made me smile
Rocked.

That douche deserved it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”