Dumbest things overheard at law school fair

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BruceBarr

Re: Dumbest things overheard at law school fair

Postby BruceBarr » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:33 pm

I go to Wayne State University and live downtown Detroit. How bad can it be?

lsb

Postby lsb » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:34 pm

biv0ns wrote:I get free tuition. As a freshman, it seemed like a great deal. As a junior...not so much

Why? Where you got your undergraduate degree from is almost meaningless. It's funny how a law degree is the complete opposite.

BruceBarr

Postby BruceBarr » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:36 pm

It has nothing to do with the degree...

More to do with who you are getting your degree with.

purplerain

Postby purplerain » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:00 pm

Overheard at the SF law forum earlier this year:

At the Berkeley table: this girl wearing a Berkeley sweatshirt steps up, fights her way through the crowd and gets the attention of the solitary rep: "So I'm an undergrad at Berkeley right now, but I've never actually seen the law school on campus. What building are you guys in?"

ahahahahah. makes me happy to go to her rival school, where I have to bike past the gorgeous quad of SLS everyday to go to class. <3

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:07 pm

purplerain wrote:Overheard at the SF law forum earlier this year:

At the Berkeley table: this girl wearing a Berkeley sweatshirt steps up, fights her way through the crowd and gets the attention of the solitary rep: "So I'm an undergrad at Berkeley right now, but I've never actually seen the law school on campus. What building are you guys in?"

ahahahahah. makes me happy to go to her rival school, where I have to bike past the gorgeous quad of SLS everyday to go to class. <3
Why would she know that the law school isn't on the gigantic main campus?

autumn80

Postby autumn80 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:13 pm

Not at a fair but at my UG's law school - two well-dressed men discussing another: "The best thing about him is his wife..."

lietx3

Postby lietx3 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:18 pm

*Student walks up to Emory table*

Rep: Hi! Please help yourself to some materials let me know if you have any questions! Do you know much about us?

Student: Yes! I'm really interested in the DC area and you are a top choice.

Rep: Well... We are in Atlanta, don't worry though - take a look at our materials and let me know if you have any questions.

Student: *turns red mumbles a thanks and walks away*

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:20 pm

Not overheard at a law school fair, but a real gem.

Dumb girl to dumb friend: "My family says I should go to law school because I argue a lot. I think I'd be good at law school." [inane chatter about getting bad grades in chemistry] "I think the problem is that I can't apply rules to new situations. Like, I can memorize the rule, but then when they want me to apply it, I can't do that."

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:22 pm

Kohinoor wrote:

i mean, the law school sorta is on the main campus. it's on the edge a couple blocks away from the campus store and telegraph street. i think it's kinda dumb that she doesn't know where the law school is. her only excuse is that it has been under construction so it stands out less.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:34 pm

well this wasn't at a law school fair.....but i was at work today, doing some research, when i came across the sentence (in an article), 'we initially decided not to pole the students' and then later 'here is how we went about poling the students' :shock: :shock:

the pole: when the paddle is not enough

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:42 pm

gotmilk? wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

i mean, the law school sorta is on the main campus. it's on the edge a couple blocks away from the campus store and telegraph street. i think it's kinda dumb that she doesn't know where the law school is. her only excuse is that it has been under construction so it stands out less.

As far as I'm concerned it is on their campus....

e: so yes, that person really is dumb.

djp505

Postby djp505 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:18 am

Not overheard, but at the LSAC forum I went to, there was a girl in a polo shirt dress and super gnarly white flip flops. Who dresses like they're going to the beach to go to an LSAC forum?

MSUPHL

Postby MSUPHL » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:56 am

adonai wrote:
5ky wrote:Adcom from UNC tried to convince me it wasn't harder to get in if you were out of state as compared to in state. He tried to claim that residency wouldn't help.

This is probably the funniest out of all the posts in this thread.

Ya the rep from UNC told us the same thing. And she was cute. I almost bought it.

MSUPHL

Postby MSUPHL » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:05 pm

BruceBarr wrote:I go to Wayne State University and live downtown Detroit. How bad can it be?

ouch. I didnt know people live on campus there, thought it was mostly commuters.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:30 pm

One of the Duke adcomms was telling us about crazy personal statements. A few years back, an applicant cut his essay into tiny strips of paper and stuffed them into a Chinese takeout box, forcing the adcomms to piece the statement together.

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:34 pm

JOThompson wrote:One of the Duke adcomms was telling us about crazy personal statements. A few years back, an applicant cut his essay into tiny strips of paper and stuffed them into a Chinese takeout box, forcing the adcomms to piece the statement together.

No wonder they only accept electronic submissions now! LOL

Sequoia90

Postby Sequoia90 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:37 pm

robin600 wrote:WTF????!??!? Most in-state public law schools have to have a certain amount of in-state students because people who live in that state pay taxes to fund the school. Of course if you're a in state applicant who applies to their public school it will give you a little boost.

Sadly, this excludes my home state of California... They really don't care about admitting CA residents, they view themselves as a "brain drain" magnet to get smart people from all over the world to stay in CA

^^^^actual talking points by legislative affairs office of the UC.

babaghanouj

Postby babaghanouj » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:42 pm

Have had innumerable conversations this semester with law school-bound kids attesting--despite all evidence to the contrary--that our regional TTTT is a "decent" school and that "you can do anything" with a law degree from there. By now I've given up on the gentle (and always ignored) suggestion that that's not the best idea ITE, and pretty much just ask whether they're telling me this or themselves...

MoS

Postby MoS » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:54 pm

:shock:
Last edited by MoS on Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocketman11

Postby Rocketman11 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:55 pm

I think we should set up a TLS.com table at every law fair, to give people a hard dose of guntastic reality

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:59 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:I think we should set up a TLS.com table at every law fair, to give people a hard dose of guntastic reality

+100

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:00 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:I think we should set up a TLS.com table at every law fair, to give people a hard dose of guntastic reality

I would help man the table.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:01 pm

babaghanouj wrote:Have had innumerable conversations this semester with law school-bound kids attesting--despite all evidence to the contrary--that our regional TTTT is a "decent" school and that "you can do anything" with a law degree from there. By now I've given up on the gentle (and always ignored) suggestion that that's not the best idea ITE, and pretty much just ask whether they're telling me this or themselves...

This happens to me constantly.

jtgain

Postby jtgain » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:04 pm

gotmilk? wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

But you can click a couple of times on the web page and find out where the law school is located. Don't bother an ad comm with questions that you can find out very easily on your own. It makes you look like a lazy schmuck..

JayTal

Postby JayTal » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:12 pm

* Another UNC rep

Me: "I have a question about admissions. Let's say you have numbers at the medians and that you're an out-of-state applicant. What are your chances of being admitted? I'm assuming that since 75% of your class has to be in-state, you would need numbers well above the medians to be considered."

Rep (young girl sitting in a chair behind a table while all the other reps are standing): "I'd say your chances are very good."

Me: "Really? I'd assume with your in-state admissions criteria, one would need higher numbers."

Rep: "No. We generally accept 60% in-state, and 40% out-of-state applicants. It's just that out-of-state applicant's tend to turn our acceptances down more than in-state applicants."

Me: "...so...75% of each J.D. class does not have to be in-state?"

Rep: "No. It just usually averages out that way."

Me: *Laughing out loud. The other people at the table staring at me. I put the viewbook back on the table and turn and walk away.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”