Loyola LA - Has anyone heard back?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Foosters Galore

Re: Loyola LA - Has anyone heard back?

Postby Foosters Galore » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:29 pm

Quick question to those who have already received decisions. Is there a set time each day when they update their status checker? Im getting close to having a DR and am getting sick of checking the damn thing every 30 minutes.

Island Girl

Postby Island Girl » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:16 pm

ruleser wrote:
Island Girl wrote:
NervousInKC wrote:What do you guys think of the job placement for Loyola? If anyone is from the area or knows graduates, can you touch on the ease/difficulty of getting a job?

+ 1... They also released their employment stats for the Class of 2009 on April 5.

http://intranet.lls.edu/careerservices/ ... tstats.pdf

I don't know how accurate the numbers are though. I heard law schools tend to skew the numbers to make their stats look more appealing. I'd rather hear from recent grads talk about their experiences.

Those are pretty decent stats - especially for the evening program - almost everyone employed. I had been told it would be harder to find work in the evening prog, but not from talking to students or these #'s.

I know some Loyola grads - they tend to have smaller practices or their own. I don't know any who hate themselves/life - I was at a party thrown by one this past weekend. She enjoys her life just fine, and (though it took a while to build up) makes very solid $$$ in her own practice.

People at the school repeatedly say you have to do your own legwork to find your job. I think maybe top 10-15% not as much. My expectation coming out of Loyola, if I had to put to words a mean based on a combo of talking to students/alum/etc, would be decent chance of ending up at a smaller shop earning 60-80's, or in gov't/non-prof world type work. If you kick ass, you can get some top ops. If you suck, you still may get some law work.

This is helpful and reassuring, Ruleser. Thanks for the info. :)

Foosters Galore

Postby Foosters Galore » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:52 pm

Is the first deposit date tomorrow?

Island Girl

Postby Island Girl » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:01 pm

Foosters Galore wrote:Is the first deposit date tomorrow?

Yup. April 30 is the deadline.

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:14 pm

can we pay by credit card or mail only?

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:16 pm

S de Garmeaux wrote:can we pay by credit card or mail only?

I couldn't find any online pay option on their website. I think you can only pay by mail or in person. Additionally, you have to fill out some paperwork to send them along with the check.

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:17 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:

I couldn't find any online pay option on their website. I think you can only pay by mail or in person. Additionally, you have to fill out some paperwork to send them along with the check.

where is said paperwork available?

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:20 pm

S de Garmeaux wrote:
savesthedayajb wrote:

It came with the acceptance package with a self-addressed stamped envelope. I think if you cant yours, you can request it by email from the admissions office. According to an email they sent me recently "If you have misplaced your Admissions Response Form and would like to request another, please email admissions@lls.edu." hth

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:28 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:
S de Garmeaux wrote:
savesthedayajb wrote:

It came with the acceptance package with a self-addressed stamped envelope. I think if you cant yours, you can request it by email from the admissions office. According to an email they sent me recently "If you have misplaced your Admissions Response Form and would like to request another, please email admissions@lls.edu." hth

They said the deposit has to be in their office - not mailed - by tomorrow. Just FYI

Also, addit about jobs, met a student at ASD, a 3L who was about to clerk for judge on way to a job with Latham... so definitely possible for top students.

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:38 pm

Sooo, the paperwork I have says it must be received by May 14th?

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:42 pm

Call them and ask. My paperwork said April 30 by 5pm while the email said 3pm, so I don't know. I just made sure to have it in at their earliest stated deadline just to be safe.

Island Girl

Postby Island Girl » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:30 pm

S de Garmeaux wrote:Sooo, the paperwork I have says it must be received by May 14th?

If your deadline is May 14, just make sure that they receive the Seat Deposit slip and your check by May 14. My deadline was April 30 so I decided to err on the safe side and sent my paperwork & check early. Hope this helps!

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:01 pm

S de Garmeaux wrote:Sooo, the paperwork I have says it must be received by May 14th?

Could be later accepts got later deadlines - sounds like you're good until then.

lawschoolmike

Postby lawschoolmike » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:27 pm

Congrats to the people who got in and sent in their first deposit. Unlike you well deserving individuals I have not received any word and have decided to look for my file in the LA river. If theres anyone else waiting I can also keep an eye out for your file.

--ImageRemoved--

dspit

Postby dspit » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:32 pm

lawschoolmike wrote:Congrats to the people who got in and sent in their first deposit. Unlike you well deserving individuals I have not received any word and have decided to look for my file in the LA river. If theres anyone else waiting I can also keep an eye out for your file.

--ImageRemoved--

Look out for mine. It'll have a red stamp on it that says "TAKE THE LSAT AGAIN"

youikky

Postby youikky » Mon May 03, 2010 8:02 am

does anybody know what are the chances of getting scholly after 1L @ loyola?

answers from current students or graduates are welcome!

Going into the school without any $, i'd like to know if there is even a chance to get some $ if i do well on the class...

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Mon May 03, 2010 12:18 pm

youikky wrote:does anybody know what are the chances of getting scholly after 1L @ loyola?

answers from current students or graduates are welcome!

Going into the school without any $, i'd like to know if there is even a chance to get some $ if i do well on the class...

I heard (but am not 100%) that after 1L they do give schols to top students to try and keep them from transferring.

Foosters Galore

Postby Foosters Galore » Mon May 03, 2010 1:08 pm

What do you guys think about sending in a LOCI even though I haven't received a decision? My reasons are two-fold. One, in the interview with TLS, Jannell Roberts mentions that they seriously question an applicants desire to attend to law school if there is not specific mention of one's reasons for wanting to go to law school. My PS was a overcoming adversity type with really no discussion of law school. Second, as the first deposit deadline has just passed I was thinking they were unofficially holding my app to see who deposits, and then make a decision after they have a clearer picture of who's attending (similar to what Santa Clara did).

What do you guys think? Could a brief LOCI at this point do more harm than good?

CAHopeful

Postby CAHopeful » Mon May 03, 2010 2:20 pm

Who is still waiting? How long can this go on? Forever, apparently!

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Mon May 03, 2010 2:25 pm

CAHopeful wrote:Who is still waiting? How long can this go on? Forever, apparently!

Quite a few of us, unfortunately. :|

Earlier in the thread I had mentioned I went on a tour. They stated that they wouldn't be finished reviewing files UNTIL JUNE!!!! They received over 900 applications on the deadline date alone. Unfortunately, I think many of us late applicants are S.O.L.. :(

Island Girl

Postby Island Girl » Mon May 03, 2010 2:30 pm

Foosters Galore wrote:What do you guys think about sending in a LOCI even though I haven't received a decision? My reasons are two-fold. One, in the interview with TLS, Jannell Roberts mentions that they seriously question an applicants desire to attend to law school if there is not specific mention of one's reasons for wanting to go to law school. My PS was a overcoming adversity type with really no discussion of law school. Second, as the first deposit deadline has just passed I was thinking they were unofficially holding my app to see who deposits, and then make a decision after they have a clearer picture of who's attending (similar to what Santa Clara did).

What do you guys think? Could a brief LOCI at this point do more harm than good?

When did you go complete? The reason I'm asking is if you went complete in late February, it might be a little premature sending a LOCI considering that there may be other applicants who haven't heard yet and who went complete in say, October or November. With that said, you don't want to go through law school thinking that you hadn't done enough to get into the school you really wanted to attend. Keep in mind though, that some schools don't want additional paperwork unless you're on the waitlist/hold list. So just be careful and dig around for Loyola's preference.

My $.02? Go for it!!! And best of luck! I hope you hear soon! =)

CAHopeful

Postby CAHopeful » Mon May 03, 2010 2:39 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
CAHopeful wrote:Who is still waiting? How long can this go on? Forever, apparently!

Quite a few of us, unfortunately. :|

Earlier in the thread I had mentioned I went on a tour. They stated that they wouldn't be finished reviewing files UNTIL JUNE!!!! They received over 900 applications on the deadline date alone. Unfortunately, I think many of us late applicants are S.O.L.. :(

Awesome! Who needs to know before June, anyway? It's not like any of us are trying to decide where we'll be living come August. No big deal.

Foosters Galore

Postby Foosters Galore » Mon May 03, 2010 2:41 pm

Island Girl wrote:
Foosters Galore wrote:What do you guys think about sending in a LOCI even though I haven't received a decision? My reasons are two-fold. One, in the interview with TLS, Jannell Roberts mentions that they seriously question an applicants desire to attend to law school if there is not specific mention of one's reasons for wanting to go to law school. My PS was a overcoming adversity type with really no discussion of law school. Second, as the first deposit deadline has just passed I was thinking they were unofficially holding my app to see who deposits, and then make a decision after they have a clearer picture of who's attending (similar to what Santa Clara did).

When did you go complete? The reason I'm asking is if you went complete in late February, it might be a little premature sending a LOCI considering that there may be other applicants who haven't heard yet and who went complete in say, October or November. With that said, you don't want to go through law school thinking that you hadn't done enough to get into the school you really wanted to attend. Keep in mind though, that some schools don't want additional paperwork unless you're on the waitlist/hold list. So just be careful and dig around for Loyola's preference.

My $.02? Go for it!!! And best of luck! I hope you hear soon! =)

Thanks for the advice. I went complete in late January. Im somewhat hesitant to send something in bc I have heard of schools giving you new complete date each time you send in supplemental material. I dont want to be pushed to the back of the line.

SEATTLEITE188

Postby SEATTLEITE188 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Decision rendered today. Do they email people who are accepted? What about waitlisted? Or do all notifications come through the mail?

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon May 03, 2010 2:49 pm

SEATTLEITE188 wrote:... all notifications come through the mail

This.

Good luck.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”