Loyola LA - Has anyone heard back?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
missinglink

Re: Loyola LA - Has anyone heard back?

Postby missinglink » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:37 pm

Headybrah wrote:What % does one need to be to have any chance at big law
Big law

ITE? Top 5% would be a good start. Maybe top 10%.

Island Girl

Postby Island Girl » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:31 pm

Heya! Is anyone going to the ASD on April 23? Just wondering if any TLS folks are planning on going. :)

matrix637

Postby matrix637 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:10 pm

Island Girl wrote:Heya! Is anyone going to the ASD on April 23? Just wondering if any TLS folks are planning on going. :)

I am going to that. Is anybody going to the scholarship reception the night before?

bconly

Postby bconly » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:14 pm

I might go to that... do you have any idea of what will happen at it?

matrix637

Postby matrix637 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:19 pm

bconly wrote:I might go to that... do you have any idea of what will happen at it?

Probably not a whole lot. It should be fun tho.

chango

Postby chango » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:28 pm

Island Girl wrote:Heya! Is anyone going to the ASD on April 23? Just wondering if any TLS folks are planning on going. :)

I plan to go.

thebadpancake

Postby thebadpancake » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:41 pm

chango wrote:
Foosters Galore wrote:
chango wrote:
Foosters Galore wrote:Wait, are you people actually reconsidering a school you had written off due to a bump in the rankings? You realize that these rankings are not going to effect your ability to land a job at all?

I never "wrote off" LLS. It was always in the mix. It's rise in the rankings is additional data.

And rankings/prestige DO matter to some employers. No matter how great I may do at Southwestern, there will always be some who will look at my resume and think "impressive: too bad he went to a TTT." Do you honestly mean to tell me that if Southwestern didn't offer me money, that I should take them over Loyola?

No, thats not what I was saying. A jump from say 4th tier to 2nd tier is significant. A jump from 70 to 55 (especially considering the minute difference separating #70 from #55) isnt. Lets play a hypothetical. Loyola is a regional school with a well established reputation in LA and OC. Its not as if ANY potential employer in 2013 (unless you go out of state, and even then the odds are nil) is going to pull out the USNWR from 2010 to see where the hell you are coming from. Firms are well aware of where a school generally fits. In this case Loyola is still behind UCLA and USC and ahead of southwestern.

Rankings do matter obviously, but I would argue reputation is much more important. This jump will not change Loyola's reputation.

An example of this occured the other day. I was having lunch with 3 attorneys. Two are in their 50's and one was in his 30s. They all live and work in OC. They flat out refused to believe me when I told them Pepperdine was ranked higher than Loyola. After lunch, one emailed me saying he looked it up and sure enough I was correct. He still maintained that Loyola has a much better reputation for producing lawyers, and he would be shocked if anyone took those rankings (to some degree) into consideration when making hires. Btw, neither of the three were in any way affiliated with Loyola and all attended law school in Northern Cali.

THIS makes total sense. Excellent points.

Um, so, should I take Loyola at sticker or Southwestern at half ride?
:D

Chango, I don't know you or your financial situation, but my advice is take Loyola at sticker and work your ass off. The job opportunities will be much better - I'm a long time LA resident, and Loyola's reputation is miles better than Southwestern's. I think the decision would be much more difficult if Southwestern had offered you a full ride. Not that I am a phenomenal candidate, but personally, I even didn't bother applying to Southwestern due to their reputation and post-graduation job prospects. That's just my opinion...

JolieSaraLee

Postby JolieSaraLee » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:52 pm

thebadpancake wrote:Chango, I don't know you or your financial situation, but my advice is take Loyola at sticker and work your ass off. The job opportunities will be much better - I'm a long time LA resident, and Loyola's reputation is miles better than Southwestern's. I think the decision would be much more difficult if Southwestern had offered you a full ride. Not that I am a phenomenal candidate, but personally, I even didn't bother applying to Southwestern due to their reputation and post-graduation job prospects. That's just my opinion...

Pancake, I am in that exact predicament. SW gave me a full ride. Loyola about half tuition. Is Loyola's reputation REALLY that much better? Seat deposits are due soon and I don't know what to do. I did ask Loyola to reconsider my scholarship, but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:58 pm

JolieSaraLee wrote:
thebadpancake wrote:Chango, I don't know you or your financial situation, but my advice is take Loyola at sticker and work your ass off. The job opportunities will be much better - I'm a long time LA resident, and Loyola's reputation is miles better than Southwestern's. I think the decision would be much more difficult if Southwestern had offered you a full ride. Not that I am a phenomenal candidate, but personally, I even didn't bother applying to Southwestern due to their reputation and post-graduation job prospects. That's just my opinion...

Pancake, I am in that exact predicament. SW gave me a full ride. Loyola about half tuition. Is Loyola's reputation REALLY that much better? Seat deposits are due soon and I don't know what to do. I did ask Loyola to reconsider my scholarship, but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

I think that's called an officially tough call. Is the SW scholly GPA/rank contingent?

JolieSaraLee

Postby JolieSaraLee » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:05 pm

ruleser wrote:
JolieSaraLee wrote:

I think that's called an officially tough call. Is the SW scholly GPA/rank contingent?

As far as I know, I just need to remain in "good standing". Didn't say anything about a rank. GPA minimum is 2.5...which doesn't sound hard....although it IS law school...

thebadpancake

Postby thebadpancake » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:14 pm

JolieSaraLee wrote:

I don't know if big law is your thing, but here is an interesting statistic: Nearly 200 law firms participate in Loyola's OCI. Less than 20 participate in Southwestern's. Loyola may not be tier 1, but at least you would be getting half tuition!! There are so many law schools in LA, and I believe that you are much more competitive with a degree from Loyola rather than Southwestern....if your grades don't blow.

JolieSaraLee

Postby JolieSaraLee » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:24 pm

thebadpancake wrote:
JolieSaraLee wrote:

I don't know if big law is your thing, but here is an interesting statistic: Nearly 200 law firms participate in Loyola's OCI. Less than 20 participate in Southwestern's. Loyola may not be tier 1, but at least you would be getting half tuition!! There are so many law schools in LA, and I believe that you are much more competitive with a degree from Loyola rather than Southwestern....if your grades don't blow.

As of now, I am not considering big law. I'm leaning towards the JAG. From what I've heard, the law school ranking doesn't matter as much as your grades and extracurriculars. I could be mistaken, however. If rankings matter, I do want to go to a better ranked school obviously.

DeSilentio2728

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:38 pm

Anyone else go decision rendered today?

lawfuture10

Postby lawfuture10 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:42 pm

Did they email you to let you know?

DeSilentio2728

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:50 pm

no, just says letter sent via status checker

lawfuture10

Postby lawfuture10 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:51 pm

Interesting... still waiting. But, good luck to you! When did you submit?

DeSilentio2728

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:53 pm

2/15 per the info in this thread waitlists and accepts are made through the mail.

seriously

Postby seriously » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:47 pm

no action since end of January.

I guess they forgot about me. :|

ms.ballerina

Postby ms.ballerina » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:58 pm

I went decision rendered 4/14 as well.

Hopefully good news? We'll see.

lawschoolmike

Postby lawschoolmike » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:19 pm

Loyola status checker website isn't working today its 6:16pm here in Cali anyone else experiencing this problem? Maybe a lot of traffic on the site. The first deposit was due yesterday. I have heard "rumors" that they sent out letters yesterday.. anyone else hear about this?

didionye

Postby didionye » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:46 pm

lawschoolmike wrote:Loyola status checker website isn't working today its 6:16pm here in Cali anyone else experiencing this problem? Maybe a lot of traffic on the site. The first deposit was due yesterday. I have heard "rumors" that they sent out letters yesterday.. anyone else hear about this?

I believe the first seat deposit is not due until April 30th not 15th.

Foosters Galore

Postby Foosters Galore » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:38 am

lawschoolmike wrote:Loyola status checker website isn't working today its 6:16pm here in Cali anyone else experiencing this problem? Maybe a lot of traffic on the site. The first deposit was due yesterday. I have heard "rumors" that they sent out letters yesterday.. anyone else hear about this?

Can you possibly elaborate as to where you heard these "rumors"?

youikky

Postby youikky » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:51 am

i seriously doubt if they are still REVIEWing my application..
went complet since Jan.22 and havent heard a thing.

I emailed them asking about if they forgot me but they said they are REVIEWing...wth is goingon???
is this crazy to expect any scholly when they are reviewing my file forever? is this a bad sign? this drives me crazy...

maybe i have the #s that really confuses them, 161/ 3.8

is it only me? or any of you having this problem?
Last edited by youikky on Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Foosters Galore

Postby Foosters Galore » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:01 am

youikky wrote:i seriously doubt if they are still REVIEWing my application..
went complet since Jan.22 and havent heard a thing.

I emailed them asking about if they forgot me but they said they are REVIEWing...wth is goingon???
is this crazy to expect any scholly when they are reviewing my file forever? is this a bad sign? this drives me crazy...

maybe i have the #s that really confuses them (161/ 3.8)

is it only me? or any of you having this problem?

Ive been complete since 1/25 with 2.75/169

I just assumed either they hadn't gotten to it yet (there were a few admits last week who went complete the first week of January) or I was just right on the border. Which border I'm not sure....

KIM_SAYS:

Postby KIM_SAYS: » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:20 am

Decision rendered 3/9. Letter arrived today...rejected. :?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”