Loyola LA - Has anyone heard back?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Foosters Galore

Re: Loyola LA - Has anyone heard back?

Postby Foosters Galore » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:53 pm

I appreciate that jbar, but as I've already sent mine in, I'd rather not read others' personal statements as I feel it may only make me regret my approach. Hope you understand. My above post was more of an attempt to see if my not critically discussing Loyola or law school specifically would cause the admissions committee to discount the seriousness of my application and in any way prove to be detrimental. I mean, I had read that discussing a school or how one's past led one to pursue a legal degree were important, they were by no means necessary, and a personal statement such as mine was just a different (but equally respectable) approach to the process. Now, I'm not so sure.

J Burrito

Postby J Burrito » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:06 pm

Foosters Galore wrote:I appreciate that jbar, but as I've already sent mine in, I'd rather not read others' personal statements as I feel it may only make me regret my approach. Hope you understand. My above post was more of an attempt to see if my not critically discussing Loyola or law school specifically would cause the admissions committee to discount the seriousness of my application and in any way prove to be detrimental. I mean, I had read that discussing a school or how one's past led one to pursue a legal degree were important, they were by no means necessary, and a personal statement such as mine was just a different (but equally respectable) approach to the process. Now, I'm not so sure.

I figured as much. Just wait it out, a friend of mine with near identical numbers got into Loyola almost a month before I did and we submitted around the same time. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to their decisions. Patience is a virtue my friend!

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:51 pm

Foosters Galore wrote:Hey everyone. Quick question here for those who have been admitted about something Jannell Roberts (associate dean of admissions) said in the Q&A with TLS.

Discussing personal statements..."An applicant who indicates his/her reasons for considering Loyola (specialties, programs or faculty of interest) will certainly have this noted as a plus for their file. If an applicant elects not to outline his specific reasons for Loyola, s/he should certainly detail her/his interest in law school. Applicants who do neither may have the Committee question the seriousness and thoughtfulness about why he/she is applying to law school."

My personal statement was of the "overcoming adversity defining who I am" variety. I only mention how my experience has given me a new perspective/determination that will help me in law school. Did those who have been accepted specifically detail their interest in Loyola or interest in studying law? Thanks in advance.

The answer to this question probably depends on your numbers. I got in with an overcoming adversity PS with only the most half-assed Why LLS/Why Law School tacked onto the end. But I was an auto-admit.

JolieSaraLee

Postby JolieSaraLee » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:42 pm

I'm not home but my mom just texted me. Big envelope from Loyola! Unless they are sadistic and like to raise people's hopes only to reject them, I'm pretty sure I'm in!! I'm in LA if that helps....

kickincane21

Postby kickincane21 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:31 pm

Did everyones status checker change before getting decision? Mine still says complete since Dec. but I see people on LSN with similar numbers and apply dates who have already heard so I'm surprised mine hasn't even been reviewed.

JolieSaraLee

Postby JolieSaraLee » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:40 pm

kickincane21 wrote:Did everyones status checker change before getting decision? Mine still says complete since Dec. but I see people on LSN with similar numbers and apply dates who have already heard so I'm surprised mine hasn't even been reviewed.

Nope, mine said complete for a long time and only Monday did it change to "Decision". I guess there is no "under review" status so you may already be under review.

Island Girl

Postby Island Girl » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:41 pm

JolieSaraLee wrote:I'm not home but my mom just texted me. Big envelope from Loyola! Unless they are sadistic and like to raise people's hopes only to reject them, I'm pretty sure I'm in!! I'm in LA if that helps....

Ooh. Yay! Congratulations!!

kickincane21 wrote:Did everyones status checker change before getting decision? Mine still says complete since Dec. but I see people on LSN with similar numbers and apply dates who have already heard so I'm surprised mine hasn't even been reviewed.

The status checker changes to "Decision Rendered" once they've made a decision. You won't have to look for the change because the entire page changes. And from what I've gathered from the status checker, "Complete" means your file is ready for review/being reviewed. It doesn't change to "Under Review" at all. Good luck! You'll be hearing from them soon if people with similar numbers are getting decisions. :D

kickincane21

Postby kickincane21 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:48 pm

Thanks to both of u for replies. I'm planning a trip to SoCal next weekend to see Pepperdine, San Diego, and Loyola...was already accepted to the prior 2 so hoping to know before I go, but I'll check it out either way.

MixedGirl2009

Postby MixedGirl2009 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:09 pm

jbaritot wrote:
Foosters Galore wrote:I appreciate that jbar, but as I've already sent mine in, I'd rather not read others' personal statements as I feel it may only make me regret my approach. Hope you understand. My above post was more of an attempt to see if my not critically discussing Loyola or law school specifically would cause the admissions committee to discount the seriousness of my application and in any way prove to be detrimental. I mean, I had read that discussing a school or how one's past led one to pursue a legal degree were important, they were by no means necessary, and a personal statement such as mine was just a different (but equally respectable) approach to the process. Now, I'm not so sure.

I figured as much. Just wait it out, a friend of mine with near identical numbers got into Loyola almost a month before I did and we submitted around the same time. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to their decisions. Patience is a virtue my friend!

Did you and your friend also receive the same amount in scholarship $?

amcooper

Postby amcooper » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:36 pm

Woohoo! Got my acceptance today! Also got the $66,000 scholly over 3 yrs w/ the top %30 requirement. Good luck to everyone else who went DR on Monday! :D

Headybrah

Postby Headybrah » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:39 pm

where are you located?

o btw CONGRATS!

amcooper

Postby amcooper » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:43 pm

I'm 30 minutes from downtown LA. . . Thanks!

twert

Postby twert » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:48 pm

how bad is the smog really?

Island Girl

Postby Island Girl » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:51 pm

Congratulations to everyone who got in! I can't wait to check my mailbox today. :)

amcooper

Postby amcooper » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:05 pm

twert wrote:how bad is the smog really?

ha, well with El Niño gracing us with his presence this year, i'm breathing a little better

J Burrito

Postby J Burrito » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:13 pm

MixedGirl2009 wrote:
jbaritot wrote:

Did you and your friend also receive the same amount in scholarship $?

No, I actually received a little more than he did.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:19 pm

I have a 160/3.62 and got $0 from Loyola.

I feel like I should have gotten some scholarship (I have $26k one time at USF, $4k/year from stingy SCU, and $18k/year McGeorge).

Does it seem like I have a case for merit-scholarship? They are not my top choice, so I'm on the fence about spending energy (and even finding out how to) petition for reconsideration.

hans3n

Postby hans3n » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:18 pm

Do they send the majority of their acceptances first and the rejections after that? On LSN, theres over 60 decisions rendered this cycle, and only 3 out of the 60+ on there were rejected. The 3 that were rejected all had GPA's lower than 3.0 Is that good news for anyone who was Decision rendered within the last few days, like myself, with a GPA over 3.0? Any one have any idea on their cycle?

Island Girl

Postby Island Girl » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:21 pm

hans3n wrote:Do they send the majority of their acceptances first and the rejections after that? On LSN, theres over 60 decisions rendered this cycle, and only 3 out of the 60+ on there were rejected. The 3 that were rejected all had GPA's lower than 3.0 Is that good news for anyone who was Decision rendered within the last few days, like myself, with a GPA over 3.0? Any one have any idea on their cycle?

I'm checking my mail today and I'll let you know. I'm hoping the trend holds up for the both of us. :)

twert

Postby twert » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:27 pm

hans3n wrote:Do they send the majority of their acceptances first and the rejections after that? On LSN, theres over 60 decisions rendered this cycle, and only 3 out of the 60+ on there were rejected. The 3 that were rejected all had GPA's lower than 3.0 Is that good news for anyone who was Decision rendered within the last few days, like myself, with a GPA over 3.0? Any one have any idea on their cycle?

maybe, but sooner or later they have to start rejecting people in larger numbers.

hans3n

Postby hans3n » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:32 pm

maybe, but sooner or later they have to start rejecting people in larger numbers.

Based on the theory of large numbers?

twert

Postby twert » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:41 pm

hans3n wrote:

Based on the theory of large numbers?

based on the fact that eventually the cycle ends.

JolieSaraLee

Postby JolieSaraLee » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:43 pm

Island Girl wrote:

I'm checking my mail today and I'll let you know. I'm hoping the trend holds up for the both of us. :)

Yes let us know! I'm sure it's good news as well.

Island Girl

Postby Island Girl » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:36 pm

JolieSaraLee wrote:
Island Girl wrote:

Yes let us know! I'm sure it's good news as well.

I'm at the court today and I get this beep on my phone. A new email. From Loyola. They're inviting me to Admitted Students Day. I think I let out a bit of a squeal and pump my fist in the air. So much for finding out via snail mail. :lol: So happy. Anyway, hans3n, my GPA is above 3.0. LSAT just below LLS's 25th. I guess that's a yes! Good luck! Thanks JolieSara!!

hans3n

Postby hans3n » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:30 pm

I'm at the court today and I get this beep on my phone. A new email. From Loyola. They're inviting me to Admitted Students Day. I think I let out a bit of a squeal and pump my fist in the air. So much for finding out via snail mail. :lol: So happy. Anyway, hans3n, my GPA is above 3.0. LSAT just below LLS's 25th. I guess that's a yes! Good luck! Thanks JolieSara!

Congratulations. Im between the 25th percentile and 50th percentile on GPA, and slightly above the 25th percentile LSAT

For the Fall 2009 entering class:
LSAT range was: 25th% = 157, 50th% = 160, 75th% = 163.
The GPA range was: 25th% = 3.30, 50th% = 3.53, 75th% = 3.70.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”