Loyola LA - Has anyone heard back?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mbv

Re: Loyola LA - Has anyone heard back?

Postby mbv » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:13 pm

existenz wrote:Got the packet from Loyola today after DR 2/1/10. I'm in!

At first I panicked while reading the acceptance letter because it mentioned nothing about any scholly money. But my heart started beating again when I found it in a separate letter in the packet. $84,000/3 years if I stay in top 30% of class. If I were to choose Loyola, I would definitely try to negotiate away that 30% b.s. Who wants to be panicked about grades all the time? Not me.

My numbers are in the 169/3.7 range.

I have a similar offer/numbers from LLS. I haven't really heard about anyone negotiating the scholarship requirements. Do you know if this has and can be done?

But really, god help us anyways if we're in the bottom of the class.

slowmo2385

Postby slowmo2385 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:20 pm

existenz wrote:
Shellbelle wrote:wow $84? Damn...I wasn't really planning on taking up Loyola's offer but now I just feel slightly offended..that's a crap ton more money that most the rest of us have seen!

On LSN there are a few other folks with similar numbers who have received the 84k. But yeah - they should be giving you guys better offers considering their tuition is $40k/year. It would be a win-win if they could raise their medians and therefore their ranking.

+1. They gave ordinary ol' me the 84k and - while I'm honored to be in the company of greatness - you guys should be looking for way more dough

twert

Postby twert » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:23 pm

i think the 51k they gave me is very reasonable. i'm pretty happy with it and i may be at loyola in the fall

existenz

Postby existenz » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 pm

mbv wrote:
existenz wrote:Got the packet from Loyola today after DR 2/1/10. I'm in!

At first I panicked while reading the acceptance letter because it mentioned nothing about any scholly money. But my heart started beating again when I found it in a separate letter in the packet. $84,000/3 years if I stay in top 30% of class. If I were to choose Loyola, I would definitely try to negotiate away that 30% b.s. Who wants to be panicked about grades all the time? Not me.

My numbers are in the 169/3.7 range.

I have a similar offer/numbers from LLS. I haven't really heard about anyone negotiating the scholarship requirements. Do you know if this has and can be done?

But really, god help us anyways if we're in the bottom of the class.

lol, yeah I'm pretty confident I could stay in the top 30%. But who knows if you wind up with a professor who just doesn't like your style? It's not like the other students aren't going to be trying hard.

As far as negotiating away the class ranking requirement, it would not be as easy as just calling them and requesting it. You'd have to show that you have offers from much better schools or better scholly offers from similar schools. I've been offered full tuition at St. John's and Univ. of San Francisco, plus admits to some T20 schools. If they really wanted me, they would negotiate.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:38 pm

Accepted today via snail mail.

Got $0 though...which I am kinda surprised, I thought I'd get a little something - 160/3.62 and strong softs....

Loyola at full cost isn't too appealing.

twert

Postby twert » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:41 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:Accepted today via snail mail.

Got $0 though...which I am kinda surprised, I thought I'd get a little something - 160/3.62 and strong softs....

somebody on LSN with 2pts better lsat and the same gpa got 84K....

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:46 pm

twert wrote:
Great Satchmo wrote:Accepted today via snail mail.

somebody on LSN with 2pts better lsat and the same gpa got 84K....

I know...and I have no idea.

I got $18k/year from McGeorge, which is in the ballpark for what others with my #'s got, $26k one-time payment from USF again in the ballpark.

I thought I'd get a little something...nothing big, but I thought I'd get at least something...

ctaylor21

Postby ctaylor21 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:49 pm

In today with $84 K/year. Applied after the Dec LSAT release. My LSAT and GPA are both a notch or two above the 75th percentile. Although I am not to excited about the downtown LA location, LLS could be a viable option with the $$$.
Best of luck to everyone still waiting.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:39 pm

ctaylor21 wrote:In today with $84 K/year. Applied after the Dec LSAT release. My LSAT and GPA are both a notch or two above the 75th percentile. Although I am not to excited about the downtown LA location, LLS could be a viable option with the $$$.

84k/year or over 3 years?! :shock:

ctaylor21

Postby ctaylor21 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:50 pm

zeth006 wrote:
ctaylor21 wrote:In today with $84 K/year. Applied after the Dec LSAT release. My LSAT and GPA are both a notch or two above the 75th percentile. Although I am not to excited about the downtown LA location, LLS could be a viable option with the $$$.

84k/year or over 3 years?! :shock:

My bad. 84 k over three years. Thanks for the correction.

dalancas

Postby dalancas » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:48 pm

I am not sure why you don't like where it is. Downtown LA is probably the best location that it could be!

Accepted pretty early in the cycle (1/22)for my numbers (157/3.8), but with no $$$. They said that they re-award scholarships if there is extra $. Do they ever really do that?

Headybrah

Postby Headybrah » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:54 pm

been complete as of 1/7/10
no word
got good numbers (164-3.26) for them and with $ I would certainly attend...
should I contact them

matrix637

Postby matrix637 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:00 pm

Headybrah wrote:been complete as of 1/7/10
no word
should I contact them

You'll definitely get in with $$. I had similar numbers (3.3 161) and got 51k from them. Now I am just trying to find a compelling reason to attend.....lol

Shellbelle

Postby Shellbelle » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:35 pm

matrix637 wrote:
no word
should I contact them

You'll definitely get in with $$. I had similar numbers (3.3 161) and got 51k from them. Now I am just trying to find a compelling reason to attend.....lol

wow...I kinda feel slighted I had a 3.4 171 and I too got a 51k. I wonder how they're determining who gets what...weird.

twert

Postby twert » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:55 pm

Shellbelle wrote:
matrix637 wrote:
no word
should I contact them

wow...I kinda feel slighted I had a 3.4 171 and I too got a 51k. I wonder how they're determining who gets what...weird.

i think you are getting only 51k because your lsat helps their 75th but they are aiming at a median gpa of 3.5, people who got 3.5 with an lsat of 166 or so got the 84k. i also got 51, with 166 3.0, so you can tell what kind of medians and 75ths their aiming at.

ctaylor21

Postby ctaylor21 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:08 pm

dalancas wrote:I am not sure why you don't like where it is. Downtown LA is probably the best location that it could be! ?

Well, I have not made a visit to the campus, but I was under the impression that the surrounding are is pretty bad. I'm sure that its central location would be convenient for connecting with firms and government agencies, so that's a plus. Guess I'll have to check it out myself.

kristela204

Postby kristela204 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:21 pm

Downtown LA is not necessarily centrally located in terms of the city of Los Angeles, it is basically the easternmost area of the city. (From East to West: Pasadena, Downtown, Mid-Wilshire/Hancock Park/Hollywood, Miracle Mile, Beverly Hills/West Hollywood, Century City/Culver City, Westwood/Brentwood, Santa Monica/Venice). There are a lot of financial institutions downtown, but many law firms are in Century City which is on the west side of Los Angeles, closer to UCLA. The area near the campus is not so great, but there is an up-and-coming younger crowd moving in to the now inexpensive lofts, etc. downtown. There are some new restaurants too, but it is still not a hugely popular/nice area. Silver Lake is nearby and has a similar hipster vibe to the new downtown generation, but there are more grocery stores and parks and it feels safer.

This is all my opinion though, visit the campus and see what you think. The campus itself seemed very secure. You certainly don't need to live around the corner from the school, there are plenty of options nearby, and in LA, you need to get used to driving anyhow.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:54 pm

ctaylor21 wrote:
dalancas wrote:I am not sure why you don't like where it is. Downtown LA is probably the best location that it could be! ?

Well, I have not made a visit to the campus, but I was under the impression that the surrounding are is pretty bad. I'm sure that its central location would be convenient for connecting with firms and government agencies, so that's a plus. Guess I'll have to check it out myself.

Downtown LA is pretty big. There is a "happening" area, LA Live, Staples Center, Nokia Theater, etc, as well as The Standard, a pretty nice rooftop bar. Unfortunately, all of this is at least a few blocks from the Loyola campus, and these are NOT necessarily blocks that you would want to walk through without a kevlar vest on. So you will probably end up driving (and paying exorbitant parking fees) everywhere you go, anyway. Love the campus, but the surrounding area is pretty awful.

theseus636

Postby theseus636 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:10 pm

quadsixm wrote:
ctaylor21 wrote:

Downtown LA is pretty big. There is a "happening" area, LA Live, Staples Center, Nokia Theater, etc, as well as The Standard, a pretty nice rooftop bar. Unfortunately, all of this is at least a few blocks from the Loyola campus, and these are NOT necessarily blocks that you would want to walk through without a kevlar vest on. So you will probably end up driving (and paying exorbitant parking fees) everywhere you go, anyway. Love the campus, but the surrounding area is pretty awful.

+1 Downtown LA is pretty scuzzy.

CAHopeful

Postby CAHopeful » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:30 pm

LLS's location should be considered in terms of being in LA, which is a great city to attend law school in. I live about 10 miles away from downtown right now, but if I went there, I'd probably stay put in the West Hollywood/Bev. Hills area and just commute. Downtown LA is slowly but surely becoming safer and better in some areas, but it still wouldn't be my first choice as far as a living area - but you should remember that you certainly don't have to live there if you don't want to. There are some solid bars/lounges for the young professional crowd downtown, though, which is nice. Just my two cents - but I'm still complete and not DR, so I guess I won't have to think about it much more until I hear back!

mango26

Postby mango26 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:03 pm

no word
should I contact them

i have also been complete since 01/07 with close numbers...163, 3.3
hopefully we will hear soon

RadMobile

Postby RadMobile » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:02 pm

In today with 84k and $500 book stipend.

UC Hastings with no money, Pepperdine with 45k, or Loyola with 84k?

crm

Postby crm » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:15 am

In today with 84k. Wasn't a top choice, but hard to pass up going to law school without having to pay for two years basically...now considering it

muffinberry

Postby muffinberry » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:42 am

Last edited by muffinberry on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

jamielynn1981

Postby jamielynn1981 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:25 am

crm wrote:In today with 84k. Wasn't a top choice, but hard to pass up going to law school without having to pay for two years basically...now considering it

+1

Was really excited to receive the acceptance envelope today! It's the most money I've been offered from any school so far which makes it quite appealing--plus, it's in LA...

decisions, decisions :-)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”