Loyola LA - Has anyone heard back? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
legalornot

New

Re: Loyola LA - Has anyone heard back?

Post by legalornot » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:24 pm

I'm planning on attending Loyola in the Fall 10. I'm a NYC guy and not familiar with LA at all. Probably not going to have a car.

So question - For someone who wants to stay close to campus (within walking distance), can someone give a few decent places to find an apartment?

a friend of mine who attended USC undergrad and lived closed to their campus (kind of close to LLS, no?), which is considered by many to be a bad neighborhood, had an amazing place paying less than $1K/mn. Do similar opps exist around LLS?

Also, anyone looking for roommates?

legalornot

New

Post by legalornot » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:02 pm

Revive

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:16 pm

legalornot wrote:I'm planning on attending Loyola in the Fall 10. I'm a NYC guy and not familiar with LA at all. Probably not going to have a car.

So question - For someone who wants to stay close to campus (within walking distance), can someone give a few decent places to find an apartment?

a friend of mine who attended USC undergrad and lived closed to their campus (kind of close to LLS, no?), which is considered by many to be a bad neighborhood, had an amazing place paying less than $1K/mn. Do similar opps exist around LLS?

Also, anyone looking for roommates?
Short answer: there are lots of places to live near LLS. There's a nearby Metro Redline (light rail train) station (see http://www.metro.net for details) that basically puts you 10 minutes away from Hollywood, Koreatown, Downtown, Chinatown and Little Tokyo/Arts District: All perfectly decent and affordable places to live. Check out the LA Craigslist for roommates or you can use http://www.westsiderentals.com or a similar site.

lawschoolmike

New

Post by lawschoolmike » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:31 am

Loyola is my last true hope. I have been complete since late Jan with no news. ASD is on April 23 and the first deposit is on April 30, I have a hunch im going to be rejected at this rate.

Applied to Pepperdine - rejected Saturday
Applied UCLA - Still waiting, but it's hopeless.

filmbuff

New

Post by filmbuff » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:36 pm

I have also been complete since 1/26 and no word -- nor any word from Pepperdine (complete the same time). I don't think the 4/30 deposit deadline means much to people in our position. I think they are awaiting the 4/30 payments for seats and will then send out another wave of accept/reject/WLs after they see who is coming for sure and who they might want to try next!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dalancas

New

Post by dalancas » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:41 pm

Dude, all I have to say is that Padmapper is probably the best housing search tool I have ever seen. Google it. Just select the city-ish that you want to live in, put the type of place you are looking for and it spits out a map with links to places that just went on the market through craigslist and ish. And... using walkscore it can tell you how far of a walk it is to the nearest public transit station aka Metro. I am a fan.

lawschoolmike

New

Post by lawschoolmike » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:10 pm

You should check out the Burbank and Glendale area. It's about a 15 minute drive to Loyola, down side is rent is kinda expensive, but at least your not gonna get mugged (not guaranteed lol).

Public transportation around LA is terrible, a car is a must! Actually if you get a place in Pasadena you can take the Gold Line all the way to China Town in downtown. I think it's like 3 bucks per day not 100% though. Wait, just forget it, you need a car for sure.

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:25 am

lawschoolmike wrote:You should check out the Burbank and Glendale area. It's about a 15 minute drive to Loyola, down side is rent is kinda expensive, but at least your not gonna get mugged (not guaranteed lol).

Public transportation around LA is terrible, a car is a must! Actually if you get a place in Pasadena you can take the Gold Line all the way to China Town in downtown. I think it's like 3 bucks per day not 100% though. Wait, just forget it, you need a car for sure.

I live in Pasadena.

Gold Line to Red line, get off 7th and Metro Station. Walk the four blocks to LLS or take Loyola's student shuttle that leaves from the metro station every 30 min (I think).

Total trip about 45 min and $5/day.

goletasb

New

Post by goletasb » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:37 pm

I will probably end up at LLS as well, and I intend to live in west LA. Possibly Culver. I did graduate school at UCLA, so I have a lot of friends in the area that I want to stay near. That being said, having a car is instrumental to this plan- if you don't have a car that can be tricky. I would recommend looking into the Silver Lake area, and also anything else in west LA- there is pretty good public transportation. I also surf a lot, so staying near the ocean is a must for me as well. Thank god I have a car.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:45 pm

Still waiting.... and waiting.

--ImageRemoved--

Fletch

New

Post by Fletch » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:00 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:Still waiting.... and waiting.

--ImageRemoved--
When did you go complete? The waiting game is tiresome.

dalancas

New

Post by dalancas » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:54 am

goletasb wrote:I will probably end up at LLS as well, and I intend to live in west LA. Possibly Culver. I did graduate school at UCLA, so I have a lot of friends in the area that I want to stay near. That being said, having a car is instrumental to this plan- if you don't have a car that can be tricky. I would recommend looking into the Silver Lake area, and also anything else in west LA- there is pretty good public transportation. I also surf a lot, so staying near the ocean is a must for me as well. Thank god I have a car.
Nice dude. If you do end up at Loyola, we should paddle out. Where is good in LA? BTW I tried emailing the surf club at Loyola but it appears to be inactive at this point.

goletasb

New

Post by goletasb » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:33 am

dalancas wrote:
goletasb wrote:I will probably end up at LLS as well, and I intend to live in west LA. Possibly Culver. I did graduate school at UCLA, so I have a lot of friends in the area that I want to stay near. That being said, having a car is instrumental to this plan- if you don't have a car that can be tricky. I would recommend looking into the Silver Lake area, and also anything else in west LA- there is pretty good public transportation. I also surf a lot, so staying near the ocean is a must for me as well. Thank god I have a car.
Nice dude. If you do end up at Loyola, we should paddle out. Where is good in LA? BTW I tried emailing the surf club at Loyola but it appears to be inactive at this point.
surfing around LA is a crapshoot at times... some good beach breaks to go to are venice, manhattan beach, el porto- but those can pretty easily wall off. I prefer to head north on PCH. i tend to check topanga (usually really crowded, and its a point break so only one real take off spot), leo carillo, county line, super tubes, and all the spots in between. currently I have access to Pt mugu, so I mostly just go there. i think my go to spot for bringing friends or when the wind/swell is right, is usually county line. surf clubs are kind of... i dunno, i dont see the point. just pick any old beach break around LA and you can catch it really fun for a dawn patrol session. north bay pretty much blows until you get up to topanga.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dalancas

New

Post by dalancas » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:49 am

goletasb wrote:
dalancas wrote:
surfing around LA is a crapshoot at times... some good beach breaks to go to are venice, manhattan beach, el porto- but those can pretty easily wall off. I prefer to head north on PCH. i tend to check topanga (usually really crowded, and its a point break so only one real take off spot), leo carillo, county line, super tubes, and all the spots in between. currently I have access to Pt mugu, so I mostly just go there. i think my go to spot for bringing friends or when the wind/swell is right, is usually county line. surf clubs are kind of... i dunno, i dont see the point. just pick any old beach break around LA and you can catch it really fun for a dawn patrol session. north bay pretty much blows until you get up to topanga.
haha i know what you mean... my reasoning is simply that how many surfers will there actually be in law school -not a lot. it definitely sounds like surfing in law school might be more of a road-trip affair, which is okay because surfing will definitely be relegated to a once a week thing at most ie saturday or sunday mornings.

Foosters Galore

Bronze

Post by Foosters Galore » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:57 pm

I've been complete since january 28th or so and yesterday I spoke with someone in the admsissions office. I just wanted to know if there was a set date that I could expect to hear back. The person in the office was nice enough to give me a detailed update on my status. He said that my application was still in the "waiting to be reviewed" stack and hadn't even been looked at. How is this possible? I mean aren't they running out of time and seats?

CAHopeful

Bronze

Post by CAHopeful » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:05 pm

Foosters Galore wrote:I've been complete since january 28th or so and yesterday I spoke with someone in the admsissions office. I just wanted to know if there was a set date that I could expect to hear back. The person in the office was nice enough to give me a detailed update on my status. He said that my application was still in the "waiting to be reviewed" stack and hadn't even been looked at. How is this possible? I mean aren't they running out of time and seats?
Wow. I went complete around the same time. Did the admissions rep. give you a timeframe at all?

S de Garmeaux

Bronze

Post by S de Garmeaux » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:09 pm

dalancas wrote:Nice dude. If you do end up at Loyola, we should paddle out. Where is good in LA? BTW I tried emailing the surf club at Loyola but it appears to be inactive at this point.
Santa Monica, Malibu, Manhattan, Redondo, Ventura

Hope you like traffic, tourists, crowds, and entitled locals

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pugalicious

Bronze

Post by pugalicious » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:15 pm

Foosters Galore wrote:I've been complete since january 28th or so and yesterday I spoke with someone in the admsissions office. I just wanted to know if there was a set date that I could expect to hear back. The person in the office was nice enough to give me a detailed update on my status. He said that my application was still in the "waiting to be reviewed" stack and hadn't even been looked at. How is this possible? I mean aren't they running out of time and seats?
This probably means they glanced at our (I say "our" bc I am 99% sure I am in said pile as well) numbers and put us in a "definite maybe" pile...then read through the high-numbered apps first, giving them acceptances, and are now waiting to see how many take the bait....it's an invisible waitlist.

Headybrah

Bronze

Post by Headybrah » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:18 pm

anyone go to the open house? how was it? sounded fancy and fun

Foosters Galore

Bronze

Post by Foosters Galore » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:38 pm

CAHopeful wrote:
Wow. I went complete around the same time. Did the admissions rep. give you a timeframe at all?
Nope, no time frame. However, he did ask if I wanted them to make a note on it that I needed it looked at as soon a possible due to other seat deposits, but I politely declined as I didnt want to seem like that pushy guy. He also mentioned the increase in apps, and, without provocation, mentioned that after the first seat deposit passes, expect a batch of acceptances to be sent out. I'm assuming thats when they may look some of us. I think the term a "definitely maybe" fits me pretty well.
I'm a pretty big splitter (sub 3 GPA, LSAT well over the 75%), but there is someone on LSN who has gotten in with numbers almost identical to mine, so I'm thinking Im just right on that border.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:42 pm

Headybrah wrote:anyone go to the open house? how was it? sounded fancy and fun
It's Friday

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jpla

New

Post by jpla » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:32 pm

Foosters Galore wrote:
CAHopeful wrote:
Nope, no time frame. However, he did ask if I wanted them to make a note on it that I needed it looked at as soon a possible due to other seat deposits, but I politely declined as I didnt want to seem like that pushy guy. He also mentioned the increase in apps, and, without provocation, mentioned that after the first seat deposit passes, expect a batch of acceptances to be sent out. I'm assuming thats when they may look some of us. I think the term a "definitely maybe" fits me pretty well.
I'm a pretty big splitter (sub 3 GPA, LSAT well over the 75%), but there is someone on LSN who has gotten in with numbers almost identical to mine, so I'm thinking Im just right on that border.
i went complete around the same time. i called last week and asked about my status. they told me to expect to hear back around the end of april, early may.

S de Garmeaux

Bronze

Post by S de Garmeaux » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:01 pm

Regarding the Reception tonight and Preview tomorrow, I'm a bit confused as to the dress code/attire. Is tomorrow's tour and mock class, etc. business casual as well? or just the reception tonight?

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:50 pm

withdrew with 17k/year a few days ago. i hope one of you gets it.

savesthedayajb

Silver

Post by savesthedayajb » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:04 pm

I know Preview Day is business casual. I got an email yesterday and they specified that.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”