In At Mercer Law

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ggocat

Re: In At Mercer Law

Postby ggocat » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:54 pm

actorlaw wrote:thanks ggocat for the info!

what are the chances of receiving scholarship money if there wasn't any mention of it in the acceptance? i know some people here said they received pretty generous scholarships with their acceptances... any chance you might get something later down the line? i assume they will still have some money to throw around once people start accepting/rejecting admission offers...

my numbers are right in the median for mercer... not sure if receiving $$ is wishful thinking.

while i have already gotten into the school, is there anything I can do at this point to convince them to throw some money my way?

Congrats on the acceptance!

I think when I was accepted a couple of years ago, the scholarship offer came a few weeks after the acceptance. For the people accepted this year, did scholarship offers come with the acceptance?

There's always a possibility of getting a scholarship later. If your GPA is below the median, though, you definitely would need an LSAT above the median. I never successfully negotiated with a school for a scholarship, but there are a couple of threads on TLS about how that has worked in the past. Doing anything to increase your numbers would certainly help, and applying for the Woodruff might help. You could also call the admissions office to inquire about scholarships. They could probably give you a better idea of when scholarship money might become available (for example, maybe in March/April as applicants start making decisions). I think the conventional wisdom online is that it's better to check in earlier rather than later because schools tend to allocate scholarships earlier in the cycle.

Best of luck!

mountaineerlaw

Postby mountaineerlaw » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:19 am

Went "ready for review" yesterday, was accepted this morning!

Very excited for my first acceptance!!

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:27 am

Just got my acceptance at Mercer. The only time I've ever stopped in Macon is for a rodeo, and a as an in-between Savannah and Atlanta. I do hear in that part of the country its pretty easy to get a job in ATL. Anyways, another one in the bank.

--Garrett

Jimmy Paperboy

Postby Jimmy Paperboy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:44 pm

Just got my acceptance letter today in the mail (1/8). There was no scholarship info with it just a skinny envelope with a one page letter. At the risk of sounding egotistical, I am surprised I didn't get a scholarship offer. GPA 3.45 LSAT 157/160/163. I am still in hope that it comes later but without a scholarship I don't plan on attending.

mango26

Postby mango26 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:51 pm

accepted via status checker. says scholarship letter mailed as well. (3.3, 163 in case you are wondering)

Jimmy Paperboy

Postby Jimmy Paperboy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:04 pm

mango26 wrote:accepted via status checker. says scholarship letter mailed as well. (3.3, 163 in case you are wondering)

I guess I shouldnt hold my breath then cause my status checker just said acceptance letter mailed. Thanks for providing your info. I am suprised that I didnt get anything because we have similar numbers.

mango26

Postby mango26 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:06 pm

Jimmy Paperboy wrote:
mango26 wrote:accepted via status checker. says scholarship letter mailed as well. (3.3, 163 in case you are wondering)

I guess I shouldnt hold my breath then cause my status checker just said acceptance letter mailed. Thanks for providing your info. I am suprised that I didnt get anything because we have similar numbers.

ya that is weird.

mango26

Postby mango26 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:01 pm

scholarship letter from Mercer today saying I've been awarded 25k, renewable for second and third years with good academic standing. i wonder what that means?

Jimmy Paperboy

Postby Jimmy Paperboy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:17 pm

Ok i eventually got the letter as well offering 25k per year. I too am confused about the ambiguous statement "remaining in good academic standing".

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:42 pm

Good standing just means you can't fall to the level where you are on academic probation. I'd bet good standing means about top 3/4-7/8 of the class, which means it's about as generous and easy a stipulation as you are likely to get anywhere.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:02 pm

ggocat wrote:
FacistCommunist wrote:
ggocat wrote:Hi. I'm a 3L at Mercer and happy to answer any questions you have about the school.

What made you choose Mercer? What were your stats?

...Finally, although I didn't realize the true value of the legal writing program when I was still deciding on a school, I first became interested in the school because of its U.S. News ranking for legal writing....

Interesting...I don't know how I ended up in this thread, but just the other day my writing prof was commenting on how good legal writing at Mercer is. So apparently that reputation carries, at least through the South.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:08 pm

mango26 wrote:scholarship letter from Mercer today saying I've been awarded 25k, renewable for second and third years with good academic standing. i wonder what that means?

Jimmy Paperboy wrote:Ok i eventually got the letter as well offering 25k per year. I too am confused about the ambiguous statement "remaining in good academic standing".

kwhitegocubs wrote:Good standing just means you can't fall to the level where you are on academic probation. I'd bet good standing means about top 3/4-7/8 of the class, which means it's about as generous and easy a stipulation as you are likely to get anywhere.

"Good standing" at Mercer means only that you don't flunk out. During my year, no one flunked out. So it is extremely rare to lose your scholarship. You would have to finish at the very bottom of your class during 1L to lose the scholarship (and even if you finished last, you might still be in good standing). Good standing is basically the same requirement that most top law schools place on scholarships.

PS - Congrats on the acceptances and scholarships! I'm still lurking (obviously) if y'all have any more questions about the school.

Jimmy Paperboy

Postby Jimmy Paperboy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:26 pm

Thanks ggocat for popping in and providing some great info! I will certainly come to you first when I get some questions on Mercer.

lawschoolstudent85

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:25 am

In a Mercer!

lawschoolstudent85

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:29 am

In a Mercer!

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:46 pm

In today via status checker. Now time to wait for possible $$ (Woodruff hopefully).

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:35 pm

I did my undergrad and my grad degrees at mercer. It would be really difficult to lose a scholarship there. I kept mine all of the way through.

ggocat: where did you end up moving to? I know living in Iowa I am pretty much the only mercer grad I know :lol:

BCgoUSC

Postby BCgoUSC » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:00 am

Does anyone know if Mercer is going to be paying for scholarship recipients to go to ASW? I know they have in past years but I haven't heard anything at all about it this year (full scholly).

Anyone know when they will announce Woodruff finalists?

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:52 pm

Congrats to the recent acceptances!

evilxs wrote:ggocat: where did you end up moving to? I know living in Iowa I am pretty much the only mercer grad I know :lol:

Sent you a PM.

BCgoUSC wrote:Does anyone know if Mercer is going to be paying for scholarship recipients to go to ASW? I know they have in past years but I haven't heard anything at all about it this year (full scholly).

I haven't heard about paying for ASW this year, but I doubt they would change the usual practice.

A few years ago, I know Woodruff finalists were notified within a week of the deadline. This year the visit will be the last weekend in February, so I assume they will be notified soon (if not already).

BCgoUSC

Postby BCgoUSC » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:01 am

ggocat wrote:Congrats to the recent acceptances!

evilxs wrote:ggocat: where did you end up moving to? I know living in Iowa I am pretty much the only mercer grad I know :lol:

Sent you a PM.

BCgoUSC wrote:Does anyone know if Mercer is going to be paying for scholarship recipients to go to ASW? I know they have in past years but I haven't heard anything at all about it this year (full scholly).

I haven't heard about paying for ASW this year, but I doubt they would change the usual practice.

A few years ago, I know Woodruff finalists were notified within a week of the deadline. This year the visit will be the last weekend in February, so I assume they will be notified soon (if not already).

I know the deadline for Woodruff was February 1 so I doubt they would notify yet (at least I'm hoping!). Has anyone heard yet?

Also I got an email that Admitted Students Day was March 20th...am I missing something? I already RSVP'd to that one....

kylep23

Postby kylep23 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:43 am

Yeh, I got a call yesterday inviting me to the Woodruff Interview. It is February 25-26 I think, I haven't read the email yet. Anybody else going?

BCgoUSC

Postby BCgoUSC » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:45 am

kylep23 wrote:Yeh, I got a call yesterday inviting me to the Woodruff Interview. It is February 25-26 I think, I haven't read the email yet. Anybody else going?

Anyone else hear anything about Woodruff? I was really hoping to make it to the interview stage, oh well looks like that isn't happening.

mountaineerlaw

Postby mountaineerlaw » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:13 am

I haven't either, but I thought they were going to let us know either way?

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:44 pm

Received a call from Marilyn Sutton inviting me to the Woodruff finalists interview this morning. Boy that's going to be a lot of travel (at least two legs of flights from where I am), but I'm kindof excited. I love panel interviews.

pantherfan

Postby pantherfan » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:48 pm

congrats!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”