THE Ohio State University 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
07ggfa5

Re: THE Ohio State University 2013

Postby 07ggfa5 » Mon May 03, 2010 10:14 am

got the deposit receipt confirmation e-mail today.

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon May 03, 2010 11:17 am

07ggfa5 wrote:got the deposit receipt confirmation e-mail today.

+1

Hope they start making decisions re: reallocating scholarship money soon.

ticklememauve

Postby ticklememauve » Mon May 03, 2010 11:43 am

TipTravHoot wrote:
07ggfa5 wrote:got the deposit receipt confirmation e-mail today.

+1

Hope they start making decisions re: reallocating scholarship money soon.

+1 Didn't get the deposit receipt e-mail, though. They cashed it on Thursday . . . . Hmm. Oddly, on the back of the check it is stamped "Indianapolis, IN." :?

BuckNuts

Postby BuckNuts » Tue May 04, 2010 7:47 pm

Still on the fence about coming to The Ohio State University? Check out our new student union and incredible University President in this flash mob...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDNOB6TnHSI

Come to Columbus. You won't regret it.

primusux

Postby primusux » Tue May 04, 2010 8:01 pm

BuckNuts wrote:Still on the fence about coming to The Ohio State University? Check out our new student union and incredible University President in this flash mob...

Reason to attend law school #46: The opportunity to show your jazz hands.

I keed, I keed

keemos

Postby keemos » Tue May 04, 2010 8:05 pm

BuckNuts wrote:Still on the fence about coming to The Ohio State University? Check out our new student union and incredible University President in this flash mob...

That was pretty awesome

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue May 04, 2010 8:17 pm

Fun. Does Gee ever teach a class at Moritz? I saw him listed in the facebook.

BuckNuts

Postby BuckNuts » Tue May 04, 2010 9:11 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:

Not sure if he teaches classes regularly or not...he keeps an office in Drinko Hall though, and whether you like it or not, you WILL run into him on campus, at tailgates, or wherever else you might find yourself. He is ever present, but it's a good thing!

tsub

Postby tsub » Tue May 04, 2010 10:15 pm

Columbus seems like a nice place to be. Hope to see you guys in the fall!

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:22 am

BuckNuts wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:

Not sure if he teaches classes regularly or not...he keeps an office in Drinko Hall though, and whether you like it or not, you WILL run into him on campus, at tailgates, or wherever else you might find yourself. He is ever present, but it's a good thing!

From the faculty page:

Born in Vernal, Utah, Gee graduated from the University of Utah with an honors degree in history and earned his J.D. and Ed.D degrees from Columbia University. He clerked under Chief Justice David T. Lewis of the U.S. 10th Circuit Court of Appeals before being named a judicial fellow and staff assistant to the U.S. Supreme Court, where he worked for Chief Justice Warren Burger on administrative and legal problems of the Court and federal judiciary. Gee returned to Utah as an associate professor and associate dean in the J. Reuben Clark Law School at Brigham Young University, eventually achieving the rank of full professor. In 1979 he was named dean of the West Virginia University Law School, and in 1981 was appointed to that university’s presidency.

Seems like he would have made a pretty awesome attorney if he didn't pursue the whole higher education thing. Seriously OSU undergrad is gonna be doing big things in a few years with him as president.

dhatfie1

Postby dhatfie1 » Wed May 05, 2010 2:16 am

So, fellow out of state peoples, what steps are you guys taking right now to start preparing yourself to be eligible for in-state tuition as a 2L? For those who are still on parents car insurance policies etc., do you have to get your policy transferred into your name and does the car also have to be registered to you? I've also heard/read that you cannot accept any traceable monetary gifts (i.e. checks etc.) from outside sources such as parents or friends, that automatically disqualifies you. Thanks guys! :)

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu May 06, 2010 1:01 pm

dhatfie1 wrote:So, fellow out of state peoples, what steps are you guys taking right now to start preparing yourself to be eligible for in-state tuition as a 2L? For those who are still on parents car insurance policies etc., do you have to get your policy transferred into your name and does the car also have to be registered to you? I've also heard/read that you cannot accept any traceable monetary gifts (i.e. checks etc.) from outside sources such as parents or friends, that automatically disqualifies you. Thanks guys! :)

My parents have agreed to pay my car insurance and phone bill, but my car (and insurance) is under my dad's name and my parents will put my phone under their name too. Problem solved. You can stay on your parents health insurance too.

dhatfie1

Postby dhatfie1 » Mon May 10, 2010 3:24 pm

robin600 wrote:
dhatfie1 wrote:So, fellow out of state peoples, what steps are you guys taking right now to start preparing yourself to be eligible for in-state tuition as a 2L? For those who are still on parents car insurance policies etc., do you have to get your policy transferred into your name and does the car also have to be registered to you? I've also heard/read that you cannot accept any traceable monetary gifts (i.e. checks etc.) from outside sources such as parents or friends, that automatically disqualifies you. Thanks guys! :)

My parents have agreed to pay my car insurance and phone bill, but my car (and insurance) is under my dad's name and my parents will put my phone under their name too. Problem solved. You can stay on your parents health insurance too.

If I own or have the use of a car, am I financially responsible for the upkeep, gas, and insurance and reporting it for residency?
"Yes. Students are responsible for reporting and being financially capable of paying for the upkeep, gas, and car insurance of a car they either own or have the complete use of during their residency review period."

I got this from the Ohio State guidelines FAQs. How are you going to manage to keep the car insurance under you parent's name if you're going to be using the car without violating this guideline?

nascent

Postby nascent » Mon May 10, 2010 9:22 pm

dang.. the in-state residency requirement is stricter than I thought :?

dhatfie1

Postby dhatfie1 » Tue May 11, 2010 3:02 am

nascent wrote:dang.. the in-state residency requirement is stricter than I thought :?

I know! My philosophy for the time being is, when in doubt, put it in your name and pay for it because it's certainly better than having to pay the extra $15k your 2L year as well.

mommamia

Postby mommamia » Sun May 16, 2010 9:51 pm

Anyone considering University Village apartments?

ChinaMex

Postby ChinaMex » Mon May 17, 2010 12:03 pm

dhatfie1 wrote:
nascent wrote:dang.. the in-state residency requirement is stricter than I thought :?

I know! My philosophy for the time being is, when in doubt, put it in your name and pay for it because it's certainly better than having to pay the extra $15k your 2L year as well.

So I just got off the phone with the registrar's office and they said that you can receive monetary gifts from outside of Ohio after the 12 month probationary period. I'm probably going to take out additional loans my 1L year and then have my family help them pay them back after the 12 months is up. The interest from the PLUS loans is definitely going to be less than the $15k we'd save.

But there doesn't really seem a way around it otherwise. I was thinking of opening an Ohio bank account and have my family deposit money in it but the school asks for your bank statements which show your deposits so that wouldn't really work haha. Also they can ask for your bank records before the 12 month period so I'm not 100% if we can have people deposit money before the 12 months from out of state but I would assume it's ok considering I'll have income from my job in California up until July 1st.

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon May 17, 2010 12:27 pm

ChinaMex wrote:
dhatfie1 wrote:

So I just got off the phone with the registrar's office and they said that you can receive monetary gifts from outside of Ohio after the 12 month probationary period. I'm probably going to take out additional loans my 1L year and then have my family help them pay them back after the 12 months is up. The interest from the PLUS loans is definitely going to be less than the $15k we'd save.

But there doesn't really seem a way around it otherwise. I was thinking of opening an Ohio bank account and have my family deposit money in it but the school asks for your bank statements which show your deposits so that wouldn't really work haha. Also they can ask for your bank records before the 12 month period so I'm not 100% if we can have people deposit money before the 12 months from out of state but I would assume it's ok considering I'll have income from my job in California up until July 1st.

Why are they asking for your bank records? For the residency petition or for C&F?

ChinaMex

Postby ChinaMex » Mon May 17, 2010 12:33 pm

TTH wrote:
ChinaMex wrote:
dhatfie1 wrote:

Why are they asking for your bank records? For the residency petition or for C&F?

They just need it for residency since we need to establish that we are not receiving money from outside of Ohio and that we are financially independent.

dhatfie1

Postby dhatfie1 » Tue May 18, 2010 2:35 pm

ChinaMex wrote:
dhatfie1 wrote:

Yeah, I told my parents if they want to send me any money, just send it in cash.

ChinaMex

Postby ChinaMex » Tue May 18, 2010 3:09 pm

dhatfie1 wrote:
ChinaMex wrote:
dhatfie1 wrote:

Yeah, I told my parents if they want to send me any money, just send it in cash.

Oh that's smart. I was thinking we could do some money laundering...after we look it up in the dictionary (or ask a door to door magazine salesman that was once addicted to crack cocaine) haha

robin600

Postby robin600 » Wed May 19, 2010 2:21 pm

Looks like I will be withdrawing folks! Got off the WUSTL wait list today!

If anyone is interested in subleasing my apt. in Columbus PM me (1 bedroom , 2 blocks from law school, 380$ month)

nascent

Postby nascent » Sun May 23, 2010 8:35 am

so does this mean even if I have a family plan with my parents for my cell phone, I need to sign up for a new account and pay for it on my own expense for next 12 months?

ChinaMex

Postby ChinaMex » Mon May 24, 2010 4:58 pm

nascent wrote:so does this mean even if I have a family plan with my parents for my cell phone, I need to sign up for a new account and pay for it on my own expense for next 12 months?

I'm on a family plan too but I pay the bill for everyone (it's a California plan). They said the cell phone won't affect your eligibility for residency; even if you do not pay your own bill....so we get don't have to get our own plans.

dhatfie1

Postby dhatfie1 » Tue May 25, 2010 5:11 am

ChinaMex wrote:
nascent wrote:so does this mean even if I have a family plan with my parents for my cell phone, I need to sign up for a new account and pay for it on my own expense for next 12 months?

I'm on a family plan too but I pay the bill for everyone (it's a California plan). They said the cell phone won't affect your eligibility for residency; even if you do not pay your own bill....so we get don't have to get our own plans.

Who'd you talk to about this? I'd like to call them so I can ask them some other questions concerning health insurance/car insurance etc. Thanks A ;)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”