THE Ohio State University 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
urban

Re: THE Ohio State University 2013

Postby urban » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:14 am

Exitlane:

What specifically are you torn about regarding Wake and OSU?

crm

Postby crm » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:56 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:
Out of curiosity, when your plane landed at Columbus, did anyone on the plane yell out "O-H!" ? That's happened to me three out of the four times I've flown into Columbus.

Ha ha no, but when I was on my second plane to get there there was a guy doing business in TN who had OSU cuff links along with half the plane wearing Buckeye Gear...it was pretty awesome.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:59 pm

Excellent. Go forth, Buckeye Nation, and create jobs for us law students.

Btw, sent in my deposit today. Nothing like waiting till the last minute.

ticklememauve

Postby ticklememauve » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:53 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:Excellent. Go forth, Buckeye Nation, and create jobs for us law students.

I sent mine yesterday. High five! :)

07ggfa5

Postby 07ggfa5 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:02 pm

ticklememauve wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:Excellent. Go forth, Buckeye Nation, and create jobs for us law students.

I sent mine yesterday. High five! :)

Sent mine today, so 3 more years in Cbus for me... making it 13 consecutive years by the time I will graduate.

izzer

Postby izzer » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 pm

I seriously thought you'd sent that weeks ago!

robin600

Postby robin600 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:15 pm

Whitters wrote:Hey now Robin, we were respectable in both football and basketball this year. And our women's sports are always phenomenal! Women's Lacrosse 5-peat NCAA Champs!! Woot! :D

We're such a small school compared to everyone else in the Big Ten and we hold our own! And we actually uphold the idea of "student athlete." Its really difficult to recruit top talent athletes when your school doesn't lower the admissions standard or the course load.

Then again, I've always been a Bucks fan, so I have the best of both worlds. End rant. Go U, Northwestern! :D

Lol I was totally messing with you! Actually Northwestern has a really respectable women's basketball team (i heart women's basketball) and I'm pretty sure they could beat MSU's football team on a good day :)

Yay! Nothing like the biggest school in the nation for alum contacts right? Gotta love it!

lstwin

Postby lstwin » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:49 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:Btw, sent in my deposit today. Nothing like waiting till the last minute.

I haven't sent mine yet. :shock: Does it have to actually be there by the 1st? Or just postmarked?

Pressenda

Postby Pressenda » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:07 pm

Hi everyone! I just found this site (too bad it's after lsat and apps)...I started a thread about this but haven't gotten many responses so I figured you guys would be helpful. It seems like everyone here is really excited to go to OSU and I would be too except I'm extremely worried about being 90k in debt. I'm also debating between Case Western which would be about 45k for all 3 years in loans...Is OSU really worth 45k more than Case?

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:16 pm

Pressenda wrote:Hi everyone! I just found this site (too bad it's after lsat and apps)...I started a thread about this but haven't gotten many responses so I figured you guys would be helpful. It seems like everyone here is really excited to go to OSU and I would be too except I'm extremely worried about being 90k in debt. I'm also debating between Case Western which would be about 45k for all 3 years in loans...Is OSU really worth 45k more than Case?

I'm surprised Case is so much cheaper given how high their tuition is. I hate recommending Case to people, but if OSU is really 45k more expensive, then I'd go with Case.

Out of curiosity, are you out of state? If so, does your cost comparison over three years include you paying in-state tuition for your 2L and 3L? Residency is really easy to get after your 1L.

Pressenda

Postby Pressenda » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:13 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:
Pressenda wrote:Hi everyone! I just found this site (too bad it's after lsat and apps)...I started a thread about this but haven't gotten many responses so I figured you guys would be helpful. It seems like everyone here is really excited to go to OSU and I would be too except I'm extremely worried about being 90k in debt. I'm also debating between Case Western which would be about 45k for all 3 years in loans...Is OSU really worth 45k more than Case?

I'm surprised Case is so much cheaper given how high their tuition is. I hate recommending Case to people, but if OSU is really 45k more expensive, then I'd go with Case.

Out of curiosity, are you out of state? If so, does your cost comparison over three years include you paying in-state tuition for your 2L and 3L? Residency is really easy to get after your 1L.

Hey thanks so much for responding. OSU only gave me 9k per year and I wouldn't get in-state tuition the 1st year. Even after factoring in the in-state tuition for 2L and 3L years, it would still cost more than Case. Tuition alone would cost me about 61k (assuming in-state tuition stays at 24k a year). Then I have to take out loans for the cost of living all 3 years as well which I'm estimatig to be about 10k a year :(

Case gave me significantly more money, but I'm worried about job prospects afterwards. I guess in this economy, I should take the money and run huh?

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:32 pm

Yeah, if Case is 45k cheaper than OSU, I'd go to Case. OSU will place a little better in Ohio, but Case's placement isn't bad. Good luck.

Notor

Postby Notor » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:40 pm

What is the Case GPA req? If it's roughly median or higher, you are taking a risk accepting the offer, because it is a strong possibility that you will fail to meet the GPA req and you will lose your scholarship offer. Schools offer tons of candidates scholarships with GPA req's attached because they know given a curve-based grading system that a set number of students will be below their req to stay on scholarship, and the school won't actually have to pay them anything for their second and third years. So, while Case may initially be a better deal, banking on your scholarship for 3 years could be a risky proposition. OSU is also a better school.

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:50 pm

Notor wrote:

What is the Case GPA req? If it's roughly median or higher, you are taking a risk accepting the offer, because it is a strong possibility that you will fail to meet the GPA req and you will lose your scholarship offer. Schools offer tons of candidates scholarships with GPA req's attached because they know given a curve-based grading system that a set number of students will be below their req to stay on scholarship, and the school won't actually have to pay them anything for their second and third years. So, while Case may initially be a better deal, banking on your scholarship for 3 years could be a risky proposition. OSU is also a better school.

My scholarship terms at Case are:

A GPA of 3.15 or higher is required to retain your full scholarship;
A GPA of 2.80 and less than 3.15 will earn you half of the original scholarship amount;
With a GPA of less than 2.80, no scholarship will be earned.

At the end of the second academic year, the student may regain some or all of the original scholarship allocation, for the third year, if the cumulative grades are in accordance with those set forth in paragraph 6, above.

Your continued eligibility for this award is also contingent upon your participation in scholarship-related activities, i.e. receptions, phone-a-thons, writing letters to donors, prelaw advisors and prospective students, etc.

Those seem to hold true for most recipients this year, but if yours are different, obviously consider that. Median at Case is somewhere between 3.3-3.4. No reports of section stacking - but this is year one for them even requiring GPA for keeping scholarships. All of them used to simply be 'good standing' and apparently some still are. Still, given the number of recipients, it's hard to imagine them stacking effectively, but it's also hard to imagine NOBODY losing their scholarship; the bottom 15% or so are at risk.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:54 pm

creamedcats wrote:Your continued eligibility for this award is also contingent upon your participation in scholarship-related activities, i.e. receptions, phone-a-thons, writing letters to donors, prelaw advisors and prospective students, etc.

Fucking. Lame.

That sucks, dude. :/

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:07 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:
creamedcats wrote:Your continued eligibility for this award is also contingent upon your participation in scholarship-related activities, i.e. receptions, phone-a-thons, writing letters to donors, prelaw advisors and prospective students, etc.

Fucking. Lame.

That one might be unique in mine for a number of reasons. My scholarship is 'themed'. I highly doubt they're going to have all scholarship recipients writing letters. But from what he posted, it sounds like he might have a similar one. Being forcibly drafted into the alumni boosters is a little shady, but I have no issues with it for what they're giving me.

Except the phone-a-thons. Come on, guys.

Pressenda

Postby Pressenda » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:13 pm

creamedcats wrote:
Notor wrote:

A GPA of 2.80 and less than 3.15 will earn you half of the original scholarship amount;

At the end of the second academic year, the student may regain some or all of the original scholarship allocation, for the third year, if the cumulative grades are in accordance with those set forth in paragraph 6, above.

Your continued eligibility for this award is also contingent upon your participation in scholarship-related activities, i.e. receptions, phone-a-thons, writing letters to donors, prelaw advisors and prospective students, etc.

Those seem to hold true for most recipients this year, but if yours are different, obviously consider that. Median at Case is somewhere between 3.3-3.4. No reports of section stacking - but this is year one for them even requiring GPA for keeping scholarships. All of them used to simply be 'good standing' and apparently some still are. Still, given the number of recipients, it's hard to imagine them stacking effectively, but it's also hard to imagine NOBODY losing their scholarship; the bottom 15% or so are at risk.

I have the exact same scholarship stipulations. I was thinking a 3.15 gpa would be obtainable...but should I be worried? Creamedcats, are you going to Case for sure in the fall?

Notor..you've got me worried..I know OSU is a better school, but if I manage to keep my Case scholarship for all 3 years, would you still say that I should go with OSU?

robin600

Postby robin600 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:27 pm

Pressenda wrote:
creamedcats wrote:
Notor wrote:

I have the exact same scholarship stipulations. I was thinking a 3.15 gpa would be obtainable...but should I be worried? Creamedcats, are you going to Case for sure in the fall?

Notor..you've got me worried..I know OSU is a better school, but if I manage to keep my Case scholarship for all 3 years, would you still say that I should go with OSU?

You also need to think about your career goals. What do you want to do after school? If you want a public sector job then you need to think about debt, but you also need to look at things like IBR/ICR and job prospects for areas you're interested in coming out of your school. OSU has plenty of alum and job opportunities and their name is midwestern, whereas Case is mainly only an Ohio name. Whereas 45k may be a lot to stomach right now, you need to look at the big picture. Your starting salary no matter what you do is likely to be less coming out of Case then OSU, another thing to consider. You need to weigh your options, look at where you want to work, and what you want to do.

Whitters

Postby Whitters » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:32 pm

creamedcats wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:

Fucking. Lame.

That one might be unique in mine for a number of reasons. My scholarship is 'themed'. I highly doubt they're going to have all scholarship recipients writing letters. But from what he posted, it sounds like he might have a similar one. Being forcibly drafted into the alumni boosters is a little shady, but I have no issues with it for what they're giving me.

Except the phone-a-thons. Come on, guys.

I'm pretty sure most scholarships have those same stipulations. (Mine did as well). However, I heard that they don't usually actually make you do any of that. But maybe they changed their policy with the added GPA requirement.

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:38 pm

I'm committed to Case, yes. I would say if you think you can keep the scholarship, you should go. I really do not think the number of people who will lose them, based on past medians, is going to be significant. You can check medians out on NALP: --LinkRemoved--. Also compare their employment data on their respective websites and look up lawyers practicing in things you're interested in on Martindale.

I did not make my call lightly. Obviously OSU is a higher-ranked school and that is not an accident. They are both excellent schools. If you can go visit both schools (a bit last minute, I suppose) then you should. Good luck.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:48 am

Withdrew today...good luck those of you still waiting!

Notor

Postby Notor » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:12 am

Pressenda wrote:I have the exact same scholarship stipulations. I was thinking a 3.15 gpa would be obtainable...but should I be worried? Creamedcats, are you going to Case for sure in the fall?

You are basically gambling that you will be able to achieve those numbers. Everyone entering law school thinks that they will be in the top 10% and get the job that they want, but the reality is that it isn't going to work out perfectly for the majority. It is difficult for me to answer your question because it's so up in the air. It's like saying "should I pay sticker to Cooley if I can get a market job on graduation?" Well of course that would be a good plan, but the odds are against you getting a market job out of Cooley. Your conditional is based on chance, a curve-based grading system is impossible to predict.

Obviously people in this thread are biased, but I do think that OSU is a better school and its scholarship stipulations are rather low (mine is a 2.5 without any phone-a-thon BS attached). It's your job to decide, just keep in mind other people's opinions.

Nat1018

Postby Nat1018 » Sat May 01, 2010 8:49 pm

Officially withdrew today after much debate. Still sad about it but I think I made the right decision. Good luck to you guys!

TTH

Postby TTH » Sat May 01, 2010 9:51 pm

Nat1018 wrote:Officially withdrew today after much debate. Still sad about it but I think I made the right decision. Good luck to you guys!

Good luck at the law school at which you attend. I sincerely hope I get whatever scholarship money you left on the table. >.>

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sat May 01, 2010 10:13 pm

Nat1018 wrote:Officially withdrew today after much debate. Still sad about it but I think I made the right decision. Good luck to you guys!

Where you off to instead?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”