THE Ohio State University 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
homestyle28

Re: THE Ohio State University 2013

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:31 pm

I also received the Moritz confirmation...mind you this is after receiving an email saying I would NOT be receiving any scholarship in the first round. I can only assume that my Moritz Scholarship app was SO amazing that they knew last week they'd be giving it to me.

BuckNuts

Postby BuckNuts » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:09 pm

nbaguy wrote:Nevermind, I just received a confirmation today!

Same. Received my confirmation today; it's almost as if they were reading the thread!

Whitters

Postby Whitters » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:11 pm

IN via email yesterday!!!!!! So excited!! Too bad it was right after the preview weekend. Who's attending the April one?!?

crm

Postby crm » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:21 am

Whitters wrote:IN via email yesterday!!!!!! So excited!! Too bad it was right after the preview weekend. Who's attending the April one?!?

I am! I am so stoked

Whitters

Postby Whitters » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:50 pm

Just received my scholly info! $9,000 a year, and I'm in state! OSU is looking real good! Can't wait to meet some of you in April! :lol:

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:00 pm

Is anyone in the same position as me, choosing OSU with $$$ or somewhere else without (Iowa for me)? I really really want to go to Iowa, but this money thing is killing me.

gugi13

Postby gugi13 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:21 pm

I guess you could say I'm in the same situation, I am also choosing between Ohio State w/ money versus Iowa without, but I'm heavily leaning towards Ohio State because I'd ultimately want to work in Columbus, so barring some miracle (like a large scholarship) I will most likely be at Ohio State.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:25 pm

robin600 wrote:Is anyone in the same position as me, choosing OSU with $$$ or somewhere else without (Iowa for me)? I really really want to go to Iowa, but this money thing is killing me.

Exact same position, with LUC thrown in the mix for me. Like you, money aside I would choose Iowa in a heartbeat.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=110377

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:03 pm

I wonder what to make of this. I've been accepted to tOSU, but last week got an email saying they had completed their first round of scholarships and that they were "unfortunately" they were not able to offer me aid. But of course, they were not done giving aid out as you all know and LSN indicates.
I have 175 and 3.0, plus good softs. Now, I suppose my 175 did get me feeling a little entitled to some money at Moritz, but do you think I should take this as the buckeyes, my alma mater, is telling me to fuck off?

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:06 pm

I just had to listen to a Capital 1L explain to me that while OSU is considered to be the better school, local lawyers view Capital as the "blue collar" law school and thus like Capital alot. I asked afterwards if she had secured summer employment and gave me some round about answer about how she is "working" on a few "leads."

For reference, Capital's median LSAT is 153, compared to tOSU 163.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:19 pm

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:27 pm

homestyle28 wrote:I wonder what to make of this. I've been accepted to tOSU, but last week got an email saying they had completed their first round of scholarships and that they were "unfortunately" they were not able to offer me aid. But of course, they were not done giving aid out as you all know and LSN indicates.
I have 175 and 3.0, plus good softs. Now, I suppose my 175 did get me feeling a little entitled to some money at Moritz, but do you think I should take this as the buckeyes, my alma mater, is telling me to fuck off?

Wait for the Moritz semi-finalists to come out. I'd be surprised if you're not one of them.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:28 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:I just had to listen to a Capital 1L explain to me that while OSU is considered to be the better school, local lawyers view Capital as the "blue collar" law school and thus like Capital alot. I asked afterwards if she had secured summer employment and gave me some round about answer about how she is "working" on a few "leads."

I visited capital this past friday, and frankly was impressed by what I saw. Obviously it's easier to get into, but the diversity is also greater in both age and race than I'd expect at OSU. The facilities downtown have good access. And the students I talked too had had good success finding summer jobs etc. I also met several student who chose capital over ohio state. Given the way the two schools have interacted with me, I'd say that the choice is less cut and dry than TLS wisdom would suppose.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:29 pm

Rawlsian wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:I wonder what to make of this. I've been accepted to tOSU, but last week got an email saying they had completed their first round of scholarships and that they were "unfortunately" they were not able to offer me aid. But of course, they were not done giving aid out as you all know and LSN indicates.

Wait for the Moritz semi-finalists to come out. I'd be surprised if you're not one of them.

From your fingers to the Mortiz committee's ears!

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:30 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:another reason why we rock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVLWsHjVu9Y

Watched this on espn360 @ work...no one I work with cares about sports, but yeah! Go Bucks! I love Thad Matta!

07ggfa5

Postby 07ggfa5 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:22 pm

9 full weeks since going complete. No decision yet...

@ the lantern, have you gotten yours yet?

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:39 pm

07ggfa5 wrote:9 full weeks since going complete. No decision yet...

ditto

Notor

Postby Notor » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:47 pm

How do you feel entitled to money with a 3.0? You were lucky to even get in, based on LSN. OSU is not splitter-friendly

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:01 pm

Notor wrote:

How do you feel entitled to money with a 3.0? You were lucky to even get in, based on LSN. OSU is not splitter-friendly

A couple of things: my 3.0 is 10 years old. In between I've earned and MA and a second BA, with 3.9 or so GPA. I get the whole "grad school grades don't matter" argument, but I was an undergrad again. Even though LSDAS doesn't take post-grad grades, I think I have a compelling case that my 3.0 isn't an accurate reflection of my academic achievement. Not to mention that I've published and presented at the professional level in my field. But clearly OSU values ugpa more than I thought.

Feeling entitled =/= being entitled!

Notor

Postby Notor » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:38 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Notor wrote:

A couple of things: my 3.0 is 10 years old. In between I've earned and MA and a second BA, with 3.9 or so GPA. I get the whole "grad school grades don't matter" argument, but I was an undergrad again. Even though LSDAS doesn't take post-grad grades, I think I have a compelling case that my 3.0 isn't an accurate reflection of my academic achievement. Not to mention that I've published and presented at the professional level in my field. But clearly OSU values ugpa more than I thought.

They have to use the same criteria to judge everyone. Frankly it doesn't matter how high your LSAT is, so long as it's above 163, which is what they are shooting for the median to be this year. So basically you give them an above median LSAT and a GPA that is way below 25th. Someone with 3.7/165 is more valuable to them than your 3.0/175 for statistical purposes, and their scholarship offers reflect that.

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:46 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:I just had to listen to a Capital 1L explain to me that while OSU is considered to be the better school, local lawyers view Capital as the "blue collar" law school and thus like Capital alot. I asked afterwards if she had secured summer employment and gave me some round about answer about how she is "working" on a few "leads."

I visited capital this past friday, and frankly was impressed by what I saw. Obviously it's easier to get into, but the diversity is also greater in both age and race than I'd expect at OSU. The facilities downtown have good access. And the students I talked too had had good success finding summer jobs etc. I also met several student who chose capital over ohio state. Given the way the two schools have interacted with me, I'd say that the choice is less cut and dry than TLS wisdom would suppose.

You are not going to Capital.....................

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:22 pm

I cannot imagine going to Capital. it's expensive, ranked poorly, and in a part of town I don't like. Nothing wrong with that part of town, I just don't like it.

Mich33

Postby Mich33 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:03 pm

Last edited by Mich33 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:55 pm

Notor wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Notor wrote:

They have to use the same criteria to judge everyone. Frankly it doesn't matter how high your LSAT is, so long as it's above 163, which is what they are shooting for the median to be this year. So basically you give them an above median LSAT and a GPA that is way below 25th. Someone with 3.7/165 is more valuable to them than your 3.0/175 for statistical purposes, and their scholarship offers reflect that.

I don't think their Moritz offers are strictly about their LSAC statistics. If so, and the Moritz scholarship is a recruiting tool to help the rankings, why do they announce it so late? I think they use it to find excellent candidates besides what's presented by a LSDAS report. Another reason I believe this: I called the admissions office to ask what ugpa to put on my Moritz application, and I was told to put the ugpa of my degree granting institution, not my lsdas gpa.

BuckNuts

Postby BuckNuts » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:25 pm

I wouldn't worry about it too much...they said in their confirmation that they won't release semi-finalists for a couple weeks anyway. No use making a rash decision now (by committing to Capital or another school) or stressing about it too much since it's out of your hands. I think your split is pretty much a draw for the school in terms of net effect.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”