Canadian schools (York, McGill, UToronto) 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
urban_cdn

Re: Canadian schools (York, McGill, UToronto) 2010!

Postby urban_cdn » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:39 pm

oh, and in my opinion, only the canadian law schools are going to recognize the grade deflation. at top american schools where were usually below the 25th for GPA, i think an LSAT above the 75th is the only way in.

p.s. - how about those riots on sherbrooke last night? haha.

pikalove

Postby pikalove » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:09 pm

urban_cdn wrote:oh, and in my opinion, only the canadian law schools are going to recognize the grade deflation. at top american schools where were usually below the 25th for GPA, i think an LSAT above the 75th is the only way in.

I'm pretty sure every police office in Montreal drove past me on their way to go settle it down!! They were dressed in like SWAT suits too.... It was crazy!!

CanadianEH

Postby CanadianEH » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:01 pm

honors poli-sci here at mcgill. Any other polisci kids on here? its a big department.

letsgojayhawks

Postby letsgojayhawks » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:08 pm

pikalove wrote:
urban_cdn wrote:oh, and in my opinion, only the canadian law schools are going to recognize the grade deflation. at top american schools where were usually below the 25th for GPA, i think an LSAT above the 75th is the only way in.

I'm pretty sure every police office in Montreal drove past me on their way to go settle it down!! They were dressed in like SWAT suits too.... It was crazy!!

I definitely missed that. Did you guys see the cannons on campus today for Remembrance Day?

pikalove

Postby pikalove » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:06 pm

CanadianEH wrote:honors poli-sci here at mcgill. Any other polisci kids on here? its a big department.

Yup yup yup.... well joint honors, but STILL. We've probably taken at least a few classes together!!!

letsgojayhawks wrote:I definitely missed that. Did you guys see the cannons on campus today for Remembrance Day?

As for the cannons - where were they?? I was walking across campus while it was supposed to be happening and I didn't hear a peep. Anyways, good to know that there is some serious McGill support out there in the application process!!

ziggy13

Postby ziggy13 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:40 am

I go to UVic. And I'm not in poli-sci. I'm just a big reject, I guess :lol:

I would hate to be in a department that tops off grades at B+/A-. Generally my courses are made so that a B is an average mark, I think... Though I have been in a few where people are happy to get a C+.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:34 pm

Im in UBC psych and all marks are scaled so that there is a 60-67% average which is about a C i think

pikalove

Postby pikalove » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:22 am

ziggy13 wrote:I go to UVic. And I'm not in poli-sci. I'm just a big reject, I guess :lol:

I would hate to be in a department that tops off grades at B+/A-. Generally my courses are made so that a B is an average mark, I think... Though I have been in a few where people are happy to get a C+.

Hah, you're not a big reject!! Actually you are very very close to my original neck of the woods.... I miss it there :(

mozhou7

Postby mozhou7 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:25 am

Queen's commerce student here...

But only applying to American schools. Good luck all!

T14

Postby T14 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:12 am

ziggy13 wrote:I go to UVic. And I'm not in poli-sci. I'm just a big reject, I guess :lol:

I'm at Vic, too. I think you are right on. Most of my courses (phil) have a B average.

CanadianEH

Postby CanadianEH » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:01 pm

Anyone know how Ontario schools will treat 4th year grades? I mean i know we have to send them in, but will they review our app. before they get in? Also, how would they figure in to best 2 and 3 calculations, given that they will only have fall semester grades?

letsgojayhawks

Postby letsgojayhawks » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:01 pm

CanadianEH wrote:Anyone know how Ontario schools will treat 4th year grades? I mean i know we have to send them in, but will they review our app. before they get in? Also, how would they figure in to best 2 and 3 calculations, given that they will only have fall semester grades?

I know people who heard back from McGill and UofT in December...before fall grades were even out. I'm guessing your fourth year grades matter more the lower your GPA.

CanadianEH

Postby CanadianEH » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:24 pm

Given my current 3.5, i'd say that they matter! I guess my main question is how they would factor into a best 3 calculation, as they would not count as part of any complete "year" per se.

letsgojayhawks

Postby letsgojayhawks » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:53 pm

I wonder if they'd take off first semester grades and replace them with fall 2009 grades...I'd like that! I'm sure if you called the admission office they'd tell you how they treat 4th year grades.

Globetrekker

Postby Globetrekker » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:16 pm

Hey all - thought I'd throw out that I'm a 1L at McGill this year and it looks like there's a pretty reasonable number of people applying this year - so if anyone has any questions/comments/concerns/general-feelings-of-freakout-seeking-validation, hit me up and I'll do my best.

Good luck to you all!

CanadianEH

Postby CanadianEH » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:21 pm

Anyone else get the UofT email saying that they will start rolling out admission offers around January?

ziggy13

Postby ziggy13 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:21 pm

UBC is starting offers in the next 2 weeks. I emailed asking if my documents were all in and got a reply saying to expect my offer in the next two weeks. Yay.

Also, UVic has started offers apparently. I haven't gotten one yet though.

letsgojayhawks

Postby letsgojayhawks » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:39 pm

CanadianEH wrote:Anyone else get the UofT email saying that they will start rolling out admission offers around January?

Yup! It seems kinda late, considering how many American schools have started admitting people before their application deadline.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:52 pm

letsgojayhawks wrote:
CanadianEH wrote:Anyone else get the UofT email saying that they will start rolling out admission offers around January?

Yup! It seems kinda late, considering how many American schools have started admitting people before their application deadline.

Apparently thats what they say every year but they start busting out offers at the end of November

letsgojayhawks

Postby letsgojayhawks » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:17 pm

Oli wrote:
letsgojayhawks wrote:

Apparently thats what they say every year but they start busting out offers at the end of November

Good to know, thanks. Apparently they release acceptances via phone, so if you see a Toronto area code calling...

sirchristaylor

Postby sirchristaylor » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:08 pm

Globetrekker wrote:Hey all - thought I'd throw out that I'm a 1L at McGill this year and it looks like there's a pretty reasonable number of people applying this year - so if anyone has any questions/comments/concerns/general-feelings-of-freakout-seeking-validation, hit me up and I'll do my best.

Good luck to you all!

Hey, I'd love to know more about McGill Law. I've been Montreal and seen the campus, but as an American haven't heard a whole lot about the law school. Does the deflated grading system extend itself into the law school? Any idea of how many American students apply and are accepted? What's an acceptable level of french? What makes one competitive? I went to undergrad at a private liberal arts college in NYC, graduated summa cum laude with a 3.9, 161 LSAT, studied in Greece, worked and lived in Tunisia, conducted field research in North and South America, great letters of recommendation, of French-Louisiana heritage. Lots of info, I know, but I'd really love to be accepted to McGill. Thanks!

pikalove

Postby pikalove » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:19 pm

sirchristaylor wrote:Hey, I'd love to know more about McGill Law. I've been Montreal and seen the campus, but as an American haven't heard a whole lot about the law school. Does the deflated grading system extend itself into the law school? Any idea of how many American students apply and are accepted? What's an acceptable level of french? What makes one competitive? I went to undergrad at a private liberal arts college in NYC, graduated summa cum laude with a 3.9, 161 LSAT, studied in Greece, worked and lived in Tunisia, conducted field research in North and South America, great letters of recommendation, of French-Louisiana heritage. Lots of info, I know, but I'd really love to be accepted to McGill. Thanks!

I have a few friends in McGill Law so I might be able to help you with some of your questions.... First of all, its considered to be an excellent law school and is particularly good for keeping your options open to practice in a variety of settings - i.e. common and civil law - not to mention you'll probably be bilingual at the end. Hearing some of my friends complaining, it seems they do deflate in the law school as well. The level of french depends - you can hand in all assignments in english, but you must be able to understand lectures and read things often in French. There might be an interview for admissions in French as well, but I'm not sure. McGill seems to take a more holistic approach to admissions than most other schools, so your unique experiences will likely help you, although you already seem competitive. Hope that helps!!

sirchristaylor

Postby sirchristaylor » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:30 pm

pikalove wrote:
sirchristaylor wrote:Hey, I'd love to know more about McGill Law. I've been Montreal and seen the campus, but as an American haven't heard a whole lot about the law school. Does the deflated grading system extend itself into the law school? Any idea of how many American students apply and are accepted? What's an acceptable level of french? What makes one competitive? I went to undergrad at a private liberal arts college in NYC, graduated summa cum laude with a 3.9, 161 LSAT, studied in Greece, worked and lived in Tunisia, conducted field research in North and South America, great letters of recommendation, of French-Louisiana heritage. Lots of info, I know, but I'd really love to be accepted to McGill. Thanks!

I have a few friends in McGill Law so I might be able to help you with some of your questions.... First of all, its considered to be an excellent law school and is particularly good for keeping your options open to practice in a variety of settings - i.e. common and civil law - not to mention you'll probably be bilingual at the end. Hearing some of my friends complaining, it seems they do deflate in the law school as well. The level of french depends - you can hand in all assignments in english, but you must be able to understand lectures and read things often in French. There might be an interview for admissions in French as well, but I'm not sure. McGill seems to take a more holistic approach to admissions than most other schools, so your unique experiences will likely help you, although you already seem competitive. Hope that helps!!

Thanks a lot! My level of French is pretty advanced, but I noticed whilst in Montreal that I had a difficult time understanding the Quebecois accent. I suppose I'll get used to it and begin to understand people more quickly, but I worry about having a telephone interview in Quebecois French before I've gotten used to the accent. It's not incredibly different, but it definitely takes me a minute to understand exactly what's being said. I have no problem with MENA and France French accents.

pikalove

Postby pikalove » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:54 pm

sirchristaylor wrote:
pikalove wrote:

Thanks a lot! My level of French is pretty advanced, but I noticed whilst in Montreal that I had a difficult time understanding the Quebecois accent. I suppose I'll get used to it and begin to understand people more quickly, but I worry about having a telephone interview in Quebecois French before I've gotten used to the accent. It's not incredibly different, but it definitely takes me a minute to understand exactly what's being said. I have no problem with MENA and France French accents.

Hah, I know exactly what you mean. My boyfriend is from France (and the US), so when I get used to his accent I can't understand a thing Quebecois and vice versa..... you'll catch on though. Besides, they'll think you're fancy with a France accent. My boyfriend has a theory that when he speaks France French people here treat him nicely... maybe you'll find the same thing:)

letsgojayhawks

Postby letsgojayhawks » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:20 am

sirchristaylor wrote:

I had issues too, at first, and my level of French is not that advanced, but it doesn't take that long to get adjusted to. If you're worried, watch a couple Quebec-made movies or download some music (I recommend Malajube and Les Cowboys Fringants). Bonus: they're quite good. Bon Cop Bad Cop, Les invasions barbares, Le decline de l'empire americaine, De pere en fils, just to name a few...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”