Canadian schools (York, McGill, UToronto) 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Globetrekker

New

Re: Canadian schools (York, McGill, UToronto) 2010!

Post by Globetrekker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:28 pm

pikalove wrote:Hey, I'd love to know more about McGill Law. I've been Montreal and seen the campus, but as an American haven't heard a whole lot about the law school. Does the deflated grading system extend itself into the law school? Any idea of how many American students apply and are accepted? What's an acceptable level of french? What makes one competitive? I went to undergrad at a private liberal arts college in NYC, graduated summa cum laude with a 3.9, 161 LSAT, studied in Greece, worked and lived in Tunisia, conducted field research in North and South America, great letters of recommendation, of French-Louisiana heritage. Lots of info, I know, but I'd really love to be accepted to McGill. Thanks!
First of all, from the little information I know, you sound like the archetype candidate McGill loves. You have an interesting story just from the tag-line, and that is great. Most of the people in our class have some sort of global exposure or have contributed in some meaningful way to a genuine cause at home. My numbers were similar to yours, my global experience about as extensive, and my LSAT the same, and I was accepted and I feel I fit in well here. I wish you luck there !

As for the level of French - as noted, it does depend. From what you are saying, you will be fine. You will not encounter too much of a struggle with the Quebecois accent. From France, my French is obviously different as well, but I have survived just fine. In fact, the majority of the professors in French courses are actually from France; I have only two examples on the top of my head of genuinely Quebec professors, and their accents are rather neutral. Even my Quebecois classmates manage a fairy neutral accent; they can control it pretty easily. You get used to it very quickly, and I at times have even found I enjoy it, which I never thought I would in fact do.

If your application package demonstrates considerable merit in French, no one will bother to press you further about it. My application statement was written in French, so even though I applied from the US and had no obvious mention of French competency elsewhere, they obviously felt I had proven my ability well enough to gain acceptance. If they do decide to contact you, rest assured the process, at least last year, was rather simple. They continue to try to implement a sort of French competency test, but it appears that has yet to be put into use.

sirchristaylor

Bronze

Post by sirchristaylor » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:19 am

Globetrekker wrote:
pikalove wrote:Hey, I'd love to know more about McGill Law. I've been Montreal and seen the campus, but as an American haven't heard a whole lot about the law school. Does the deflated grading system extend itself into the law school? Any idea of how many American students apply and are accepted? What's an acceptable level of french? What makes one competitive? I went to undergrad at a private liberal arts college in NYC, graduated summa cum laude with a 3.9, 161 LSAT, studied in Greece, worked and lived in Tunisia, conducted field research in North and South America, great letters of recommendation, of French-Louisiana heritage. Lots of info, I know, but I'd really love to be accepted to McGill. Thanks!
First of all, from the little information I know, you sound like the archetype candidate McGill loves. You have an interesting story just from the tag-line, and that is great. Most of the people in our class have some sort of global exposure or have contributed in some meaningful way to a genuine cause at home. My numbers were similar to yours, my global experience about as extensive, and my LSAT the same, and I was accepted and I feel I fit in well here. I wish you luck there !

As for the level of French - as noted, it does depend. From what you are saying, you will be fine. You will not encounter too much of a struggle with the Quebecois accent. From France, my French is obviously different as well, but I have survived just fine. In fact, the majority of the professors in French courses are actually from France; I have only two examples on the top of my head of genuinely Quebec professors, and their accents are rather neutral. Even my Quebecois classmates manage a fairy neutral accent; they can control it pretty easily. You get used to it very quickly, and I at times have even found I enjoy it, which I never thought I would in fact do.

If your application package demonstrates considerable merit in French, no one will bother to press you further about it. My application statement was written in French, so even though I applied from the US and had no obvious mention of French competency elsewhere, they obviously felt I had proven my ability well enough to gain acceptance. If they do decide to contact you, rest assured the process, at least last year, was rather simple. They continue to try to implement a sort of French competency test, but it appears that has yet to be put into use.
It's really funny that Pikalove's being quoted here, because I totally wrote all of that! LOL. Thanks for the info!

sirchristaylor

Bronze

Post by sirchristaylor » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:33 pm

Does anyone know when McGill will start issuing decisions? :shock:

letsgojayhawks

Bronze

Post by letsgojayhawks » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:50 pm

sirchristaylor wrote:Does anyone know when McGill will start issuing decisions? :shock:
They say not till January, but I know of acceptances in December. Starting right after the app deadline actually. Read through some of the old threads on lawstudents.ca if you want to get a better idea of who got accepted then. From what I've read, decisions show up on the Minerva status checker.

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:53 pm

In at UBC :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

letsgojayhawks

Bronze

Post by letsgojayhawks » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:04 am

Congrats! Is it your top choice?

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:12 am

letsgojayhawks wrote:Congrats! Is it your top choice?
Haha not even close

Bottom safety but w.e nice to get an acceptance. I'm shooting for the states :wink:

Have you hear anything from toronto or osgoode? Assuming you applied there :P just figured cause of the name...

letsgojayhawks

Bronze

Post by letsgojayhawks » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:10 am

Oli wrote:
letsgojayhawks wrote:Congrats! Is it your top choice?
Haha not even close

Bottom safety but w.e nice to get an acceptance. I'm shooting for the states :wink:

Have you hear anything from toronto or osgoode? Assuming you applied there :P just figured cause of the name...
Because of the name? My name comes from a Midwestern college sports team, but I did apply to UToronto. I almost applied to Osgoode, but decided that I didn't want to go there enough to make me write the extra essay. Haven't heard anything yet, but it is only December 1st...

CanadianEH

New

Post by CanadianEH » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:57 pm

According to the Canadian Law students page, U of T has started issuing acceptances; this is roughly the same as they did last year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

letsgojayhawks

Bronze

Post by letsgojayhawks » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:53 pm

CanadianEH wrote:According to the Canadian Law students page, U of T has started issuing acceptances; this is roughly the same as they did last year.
I just got the call!! IN!

pikalove

Bronze

Post by pikalove » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:55 pm

Congrats!!! Awesome to hear from them so early! When did you apply and what are your stats?

letsgojayhawks

Bronze

Post by letsgojayhawks » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:03 pm

pikalove wrote:Congrats!!! Awesome to hear from them so early! When did you apply and what are your stats?
Applied in mid-October, LSAT above their 75th, GPA below their 25th...PM me for exact numbers

CanadianEH

New

Post by CanadianEH » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:37 pm

Congrats on the acceptance. First of many for this thread, I can feel it.

How many of you have U of T as your first choice?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

etlien

Bronze

Post by etlien » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:47 am

Does anyone know when McGill starts giving out acceptances?

letsgojayhawks

Bronze

Post by letsgojayhawks » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:49 pm

etlien wrote:Does anyone know when McGill starts giving out acceptances?
Based on what I've heard from McGill 1Ls, acceptances can start as early as next week, but most people won't hear until January or February.

Devin Copeland

New

Post by Devin Copeland » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:03 pm

I'm American with no ties to Canada. If I try going to a Canadian law school, will I have problems getting a work permit in Canada, or applying for jobs with the Canadian government?

I love Canada but I've never heard of any American just heading up there for law school with no Canadian connections.

sirchristaylor

Bronze

Post by sirchristaylor » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:11 pm

Devin Copeland wrote:I'm American with no ties to Canada. If I try going to a Canadian law school, will I have problems getting a work permit in Canada, or applying for jobs with the Canadian government?

I love Canada but I've never heard of any American just heading up there for law school with no Canadian connections.
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

etlien

Bronze

Post by etlien » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:14 pm

Devin Copeland wrote:I'm American with no ties to Canada. If I try going to a Canadian law school, will I have problems getting a work permit in Canada, or applying for jobs with the Canadian government?

I don't know the specifics. I am the other way around, a Canadian wanting to work in the States after law school. However, from what I know, getting a work permit should not be that hard. See:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/speci ... .asp#nafta

It says you have to be one of 60 types of professionals, I am fairly certain lawyer is one of them, since lawyer qualifies you for TN status which is what Canadians looking to work in the States would apply for.

As for getting a job with the Canadian government, most of the ones I have seen advertised note a specific preference for Canadian citizens. I don't know how this works in practice. If you are interested in staying in Canada for the long term, I don't think it would be that hard to get permanent residency.

letsgojayhawks

Bronze

Post by letsgojayhawks » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:21 am

A friend of mine got an acceptance call from UToronto yesterday, and he also applied quite early, so it seems like they're looking at applications somewhat chronologically.

CanadianEH

New

Post by CanadianEH » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:14 am

Accepted at UofT this morning!!!

3.5/170

letsgojayhawks

Bronze

Post by letsgojayhawks » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:01 pm

CanadianEH wrote:Accepted at UofT this morning!!!

3.5/170
congrats! first choice?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CanadianEH

New

Post by CanadianEH » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:53 pm

Unless a T10 American school decides to throw me a bunch of money, Yes.

jocelyne

Bronze

Post by jocelyne » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:56 pm

Last edited by jocelyne on Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

anomz24

New

Post by anomz24 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:30 pm

I feel for everyone who brought up the grade deflation in their UG years. I realize like one poster mentioned that it can be used as a general excuse, but there is nothing more infuriating than having professors who think it's alright to make their students work extremely hard and then on reward 3-5 students with a B+/A- grade. This was the case for a lot of my classes, even in upper levels courses in an Honours BA program where the majority of the students were capable and hardworking.

I never fought it at the time because it felt normal but since I've found TLS I've become extremely jealous. I remember seeing a post that had a chart of average GPAs at American UGs and seeing public schools with 3.5 avg GPA?! My school doesn't publish its average graduating GPA on the transcript report nor on its website, but I'd be interested to see the average graduating GPAs from all Canadian schools to compare them to one another.

So best of luck to you McGill alumni! I didn't go there but the grade deflation there is well known

pikalove

Bronze

Post by pikalove » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:54 pm

anomz24 wrote:I feel for everyone who brought up the grade deflation in their UG years. I realize like one poster mentioned that it can be used as a general excuse, but there is nothing more infuriating than having professors who think it's alright to make their students work extremely hard and then on reward 3-5 students with a B+/A- grade. This was the case for a lot of my classes, even in upper levels courses in an Honours BA program where the majority of the students were capable and hardworking.

I never fought it at the time because it felt normal but since I've found TLS I've become extremely jealous. I remember seeing a post that had a chart of average GPAs at American UGs and seeing public schools with 3.5 avg GPA?! My school doesn't publish its average graduating GPA on the transcript report nor on its website, but I'd be interested to see the average graduating GPAs from all Canadian schools to compare them to one another.

So best of luck to you McGill alumni! I didn't go there but the grade deflation there is well known
It seems that US schools may take this into account, as I just got into NYU with a measly 3.3 :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”