Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
moandersen

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby moandersen » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:37 am

vlienj24 wrote:
moandersen wrote:I wish I could give one of you my 164 to get off the WL. Each time im about to start writing my LOCI, i hesitate because im so tired of enduring winters in the cold midwest. I love the wisconsin, but hate winter, so I dont know if the below average QOL for me is worth it..... The warm winters of NC are calling my name :|

I wish I could take your 164! that with my 3.99 and excellent softs probably could get a scholarship!

A 164 and a 3.99 will get you a lot more than wisconsin. that gpa is incredible.

sconnielaw13

Postby sconnielaw13 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:35 pm

moandersen wrote:
vlienj24 wrote:
moandersen wrote:I wish I could give one of you my 164 to get off the WL. Each time im about to start writing my LOCI, i hesitate because im so tired of enduring winters in the cold midwest. I love the wisconsin, but hate winter, so I dont know if the below average QOL for me is worth it..... The warm winters of NC are calling my name :|

I wish I could take your 164! that with my 3.99 and excellent softs probably could get a scholarship!

A 164 and a 3.99 will get you a lot more than wisconsin. that gpa is incredible.

I hope wisconsin thinks that my gpa is incredible despite my terrible 158. I was practice testing above a 165 consistantly too! Oh well I am keeping my fingers crossed on UW taking me off the wait list... really don't want to pay sticker at Iowa.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:37 pm

Nightrunner wrote:some people might just want Wisconsin, only with little debt (*clears throat*)

i agree - just speculating. i wrote it mostly for myself and daydreaming of what it would have been like to give a crap back when i was in college and have a sweet ass gpa to sit on. i never thought i would be haunted by getting Bs all the time.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:01 pm

Withdrawing today. I'll miss you all so very very much. Do not fret my dears, because I shall be in Madison for Mifflin the first week of May!

Shimmer649

Postby Shimmer649 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:09 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
moandersen wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:some people might just want Wisconsin, only with little debt (*clears throat*)

i agree - just speculating. i wrote it mostly for myself and daydreaming of what it would have been like to give a crap back when i was in college and have a sweet ass gpa to sit on. i never thought i would be haunted by getting Bs all the time.

I can definitely understand that.

+1

I wish I had known in my wise undergrad years if I ever wanted to go to grad school a B average = academic degenerate. I was looking over my transcript to send in to UW...*Cringe* Makes me want to pull a Back to the Future and kick my own lazy self-important ass into submission.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:23 pm

Shimmer649 wrote:I wish I had known in my wise undergrad years if I ever wanted to go to grad school a B average = academic degenerate. I was looking over my transcript to send in to UW...*Cringe* Makes me want to pull a Back to the Future and kick my own lazy self-important ass into submission.

seriously, i had getting Bs down to a science. I knew exactly how little I had to do to get the grade. I only had lower than a B once (spanish 4 my last semester of ug!), and only a handful of As in my major classes. I also wish i didnt have pneumonia during the lsat, but thats life. i feel that since i took off studying during ug, i have a ton of stored up studying to use during law school. :lol:

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:26 pm

Shimmer649 wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
moandersen wrote:

I can definitely understand that.

+1

I wish I had known in my wise undergrad years if I ever wanted to go to grad school a B average = academic degenerate. I was looking over my transcript to send in to UW...*Cringe* Makes me want to pull a Back to the Future and kick my own lazy self-important ass into submission.

Yup.

tvink

Postby tvink » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm

Kitzhof wrote:
tvink wrote:

Me three. :cry:

Tvink, we seem to have similar numbers. What are your numbers, lawcycle? From what I saw people with a high LSAT score got in today.

I am thinking that these numbers would have gotten us in last year. This year seems like a very competitive year there, or anywhere else for that matter.

tvink

Postby tvink » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:40 pm

I am in the same boat when it comes to WI winters. Maybe I will get into Florida and everything will work out for the best...haha.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:33 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:Withdrawing today. I'll miss you all so very very much. Do not fret my dears, because I shall be in Madison for Mifflin the first week of May!

HATE

:mrgreen:

:(

My mind kicked in and told my heart to stfu. You will still manage to have a blast in Wisco without me. I mean, lawl school is all about the fun amirite?

coolkatz321

Postby coolkatz321 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:11 pm

tvink wrote:

I am in the same boat when it comes to WI winters. Maybe I will get into Florida and everything will work out for the best...haha.

I'm more than happy to sacrifice for winter if it means being in Madison for the spring and summer. There are very, very few places that can match the amount of beauty and fun activities that Madisonians (word?) enjoy.

tycho_brahe

Postby tycho_brahe » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:19 am

I got an e-mail about filling out the enrollment form, would doing this preclude me from getting any scholarship money? Is that even a possibility at this point? 3.0/168, got $20k per year scholarship from Illinois, is it worth getting in touch with the financial aid office?

donzoli

Postby donzoli » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:19 pm

What did those who went to the ASW think?

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:14 am

donzoli wrote:What did those who went to the ASW think?

about what exactly?

i'm excited about attending, although there are things that could be better.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:21 am

Panther7 wrote:

about what exactly?

For those who couldn't go to ASW, perhaps you could expand a little on your general impressions, both good and bad. :)

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:58 am

missinglink wrote:
Panther7 wrote:

about what exactly?

For those who couldn't go to ASW, perhaps you could expand a little on your general impressions, both good and bad. :)

I will be heading there 100% this fall, already made my decision.

The bad:
The building. It's very practical, but it's just not visually appealing. The classrooms seem old, just in general not appealing for a school. I just didn't like the feeling I got while sitting in them. I also felt slightly claustrophobic walking around the building, everything is so tightly packed together. And too many stairs, lol. The school gets easily lost in such a large and prestigious public university. And it's public.

The Good: The schools is extremely practical in it's teaching (some might view this as a negative, I like it). The school and students aren't afraid at all to speak their mind out on the negatives of the school, which in my mind is one of the first steps in improving yourself, they are willing to acknowledge their flaws. Not to say there are a bunch, but they weren't afraid to acknowledge any points that students or accepted students made. Most importantly, the other accepted students were very down to earth compared to other ASW's I went to. I think it has something to do with the fact most are midwesterners, but I just got the vibe that there weren't stuck up preps ANYWHERE. I love the community there. I felt like the individuals at the school defined the school, and not the other way around. That is very impressive to me, and I like that. It's within walking distance of the state capitol (real walking distance, not brochure walking distance), and the atmosphere in Madison is first rate.

Texasboundanddown

Postby Texasboundanddown » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:14 am

Panther7 wrote:
missinglink wrote:
Panther7 wrote:

about what exactly?

I will be heading there 100% this fall, already made my decision.

The bad:
The building. It's very practical, but it's just not visually appealing. The classrooms seem old, just in general not appealing for a school. I just didn't like the feeling I got while sitting in them. I also felt slightly claustrophobic walking around the building, everything is so tightly packed together. And too many stairs, lol. The school gets easily lost in such a large and prestigious public university. And it's public.

The Good: The schools is extremely practical in it's teaching (some might view this as a negative, I like it). The school and students aren't afraid at all to speak their mind out on the negatives of the school, which in my mind is one of the first steps in improving yourself, they are willing to acknowledge their flaws. Not to say there are a bunch, but they weren't afraid to acknowledge any points that students or accepted students made. Most importantly, the other accepted students were very down to earth compared to other ASW's I went to. I think it has something to do with the fact most are midwesterners, but I just got the vibe that there weren't stuck up preps ANYWHERE. I love the community there. I felt like the individuals at the school defined the school, and not the other way around. That is very impressive to me, and I like that. It's within walking distance of the state capitol (real walking distance, not brochure walking distance), and the atmosphere in Madison is first rate.

You've just described a ton of law schools, lol. What is it with law schools and old ass buildings? UT, UoH, and Baylor all look like they are just another part of the campus with UT's outside/inside looking like it was made in the 60's. But they all have new wireless equipment so its like "Why not just remodel parts of the building instead of just inserting stuff". So in my mind, your point isn't really a "bad".

What were some of the things that people openly criticized? What did they say about work prospects and stuff? It seems like Wisconsin is on the right track to improving itself (seeing as they made that 7 spot jump). And with the obvious hike in LSAT median they will be experiencing, I think they might continue to go up (kinda hate how that works though).

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:33 am

Texasboundanddown wrote:You've just described a ton of law schools, lol. What is it with law schools and old ass buildings? UT, UoH, and Baylor all look like they are just another part of the campus with UT's outside/inside looking like it was made in the 60's. But they all have new wireless equipment so its like "Why not just remodel parts of the building instead of just inserting stuff". So in my mind, your point isn't really a "bad".

What were some of the things that people openly criticized? What did they say about work prospects and stuff? It seems like Wisconsin is on the right track to improving itself (seeing as they made that 7 spot jump). And with the obvious hike in LSAT median they will be experiencing, I think they might continue to go up (kinda hate how that works though).

Yeah, I described a lot of schools, but I just noticed it here moreso than other schools I've been in. They have this industrial style architecture on the inside where you can see stuff you're usually not supposed to see. Like I said, it's practical, just not visually appealing. And you can tell at points where they've just used duct tape to fix things rather than actually fix them (probably because they're public and don't have the funds for it). In the end, what matters is the teachers and students though, and that part was refreshing.

Actually i'm not sure that the hike will be coming, it was just a possibility/guess.

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:54 am

So today is the accpet/decline date for many admits correct? Hopefully there will be some WL movement this week.

Cookie1234

Postby Cookie1234 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:30 pm

Last edited by Cookie1234 on Sun May 02, 2010 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

lawcycle2010

Postby lawcycle2010 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:06 pm

Cookie1234 wrote:just got in! where are people livinggg???

were you on the wait list?

Did you just get an email today?

sconnielaw13

Postby sconnielaw13 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:05 pm

I am a little concerned that today is suppose to be the day that people make their decisions about attending and that the only activity on LSN was one person who withdrew

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:44 pm

vlienj24 wrote:I am a little concerned that today is suppose to be the day that people make their decisions about attending and that the only activity on LSN was one person who withdrew

I wouldn't be too concerned. LSN is a small sample of the entire applicant pool, and, many people are slow to update their accounts.

Some never update them. Just look at all the "pending" applications from past cycles.

sconnielaw13

Postby sconnielaw13 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:12 pm

missinglink wrote:
vlienj24 wrote:I am a little concerned that today is suppose to be the day that people make their decisions about attending and that the only activity on LSN was one person who withdrew

I wouldn't be too concerned. LSN is a small sample of the entire applicant pool, and, many people are slow to update their accounts.

Some never update them. Just look at all the "pending" applications from past cycles.

That is true.

I just hope that they plan on taking way more people off the wait list than they have. If LSN does serve as a representative sample (which it does not), then it appears that their median GPA is being compromised at the expense of raising their median LSAT score. I hope this observation is correct because that could mean good things for someone like me with a high GPA. They may try at the end to raise the median GPA by accepting individuals like myself.

Who knows though! I would be interested in hearing if anyone else thinks the same way or thinks that I am completely off lol

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:11 am

The campus is impressive and the law building is ok. However, by talking to 1L and 2L, the distinct impression that i have is that the majority of them do not have summer employment and are usually doing clinics (with $2000 stipend from the school or local county). Also, those 3L who are at the median are more likely to be unemploy upon graduation than not (at least for this year). And the focus of how UW market itself revolves around its clinics and its influence on the state government.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”