Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BigFatPanda

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby BigFatPanda » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:32 pm

Thanks guys. I am currently driving a 97 Corolla (my first ever car) FWD. We had two huge snow storms (12-24 inches, of course, by Wisconsin standard, thats like Junior Varsity) and the state agencies are really not designed to clear roads with this much snow. Although I am originally from New Jersey, it was still a pretty nasty driving all around.

Interestingly, all the police interceptors down here are RWD and it was absolute madness for my buddies trying to go out on patrol during the December Storm. These vehicles are notorious for their inferior handling under snowy conditions.

you suck at driving when its not snowing

I got a story for this: so i was driving a marked cruiser one day when an officer in another marked cruiser pulled behind me and signal me to pull over (with LED bars flashing). I pulled to the side,

the officer walked up to the driver side window and said: sir, do u know why i pull you over?
Me: no dude, why?
Officer: didn't you know? Its illegal in the state of Virginia to drive a vehicle while Asian!
Me: (I threw my donuts at him).

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:36 pm

BigFatPanda wrote:you suck at driving when its not snowing

I got a story for this: so i was driving a marked cruiser one day when an officer in another marked cruiser pulled behind me and signal me to pull over (with LED bars flashing). I pulled to the side,

the officer walked up to the driver side window and said: sir, do u know why i pull you over?
Officer: didn't you know? Its illegal in the state of Virginia to drive a vehicle while Asian!
Me: (I threw my donuts at him).[/quote]
Class.

iamtaw

Postby iamtaw » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:37 pm

you'll be fine with any car really.
we barely got any snow this year except for one awesome snowday. god that day was the best.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:45 pm

BigFatPanda wrote:I got a story for this: so i was driving a marked cruiser one day when an officer in another marked cruiser pulled behind me and signal me to pull over (with LED bars flashing). I pulled to the side,

Officer: didn't you know, its illegal in the state of Virginia to drive a vehicle while Asian?
Me: (I threw my donuts at him).

haha. :mrgreen:

as a fellow asian, i agree. those dang first generation/elderly/female asian drivers are by far the worst with their freakin corollas and camrys going 5 under the speed limit and driving with two feet. i hate driving around koreatown in chicago because of them!

but back on topic, it might be time for an upgrade if you can afford it. I dont see a 97 corolla handling all that well. snow tires might help some, but then that will probably be more $ than what your car is worth right now. my '05 accord handles pretty well (though not great) in the snow fwiw. but again, if you dont have the spare cash, just keep what you got.

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks guys. Mucho appreciandos for all the advice.

Texasboundanddown

Postby Texasboundanddown » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:09 pm

Man all this snow talk makes me wish I was still in the north. But seriosuly, you should be fine with your car. Just learn how to drive when its slippery and I never even had snow tires even when I was in Massachusetts. Front wheel drive cars will be ok.

Anyone heard anything today? Im checking lsn at work and it just seems like people have started to either Withrdraw or accept. Guess thats good news. Otherwise, sent in my preemptive loci this morning so hoping it will work : ).

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:17 pm

i think it's also worthy to note that madison isn't one of the areas where they get massive snowfalls regularly. It's winter, it will snow, but it's not like you're getting 12 inches a day regularly like you do in the northern wisconsin/UP region. The lake effect snow just doesn't hit madison.

texlawtex

Postby texlawtex » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:03 pm

still waiting...

Bobalou

Postby Bobalou » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:06 pm

texlawtex wrote:still waiting...

+1

Simpler Times

Postby Simpler Times » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:22 pm

Panther7 wrote:i think it's also worthy to note that madison isn't one of the areas where they get massive snowfalls regularly. It's winter, it will snow, but it's not like you're getting 12 inches a day regularly like you do in the northern wisconsin/UP region. The lake effect snow just doesn't hit madison.

On the other hand, I've dug snow tunnels in my front yard before.

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:29 pm

Simpler Times wrote:
Panther7 wrote:i think it's also worthy to note that madison isn't one of the areas where they get massive snowfalls regularly. It's winter, it will snow, but it's not like you're getting 12 inches a day regularly like you do in the northern wisconsin/UP region. The lake effect snow just doesn't hit madison.

On the other hand, I've dug snow tunnels in my front yard before.

"regularly" was the key word in that phrase :P

lawcycle2010

Postby lawcycle2010 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:58 pm

if wisconsin goes on spring break next week, i'm guessing a lot of us will hear by Friday...any predictions??

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:17 pm

lawcycle2010 wrote:if wisconsin goes on spring break next week, i'm guessing a lot of us will hear by Friday...any predictions??

i highly doubt admissions gets off for spring break.

lawcycle2010

Postby lawcycle2010 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:37 pm

Panther7 wrote:
lawcycle2010 wrote:if wisconsin goes on spring break next week, i'm guessing a lot of us will hear by Friday...any predictions??

I'm sure fac on the committee wont be there, so anything they would be involved with would ne on hold...

They are so far behind anyways...

Needless to say, from what people have said it looks like April 1st is going to be a big day.

lawschoollady

Postby lawschoollady » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:26 pm

nyskidude wrote:Visited Wisconsin over my spring break last week. Loved the college, loved the people, loved the city. However, there is a little too much of a party atmosphere for me there, and the law school building was very confusing. Won't be attending next Fall.

You get used to the Law building pretty fast! And as far as it being a party school...I think that it pertains more to the undergrad students...although I'm sure there are a few law students that party too much.

coolkatz321

Postby coolkatz321 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:30 am

jen_said wrote:
BigFatPanda wrote:Hey guys, its a general question:

For those who drives a car in Wisconsin; so i've heard about the legendary winter Wisconsin has, would u recommend buying an All Wheel Drive SUV?

Just get snow tires (I'm from Buffalo - I know bad snow.)

Ditto (well, I attended UB)...it's really nice to not have the 70mph winds in Madison that we had in Buffalo!

Texasboundanddown

Postby Texasboundanddown » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:23 am

lawcycle2010 wrote:
Panther7 wrote:

I'm sure fac on the committee wont be there, so anything they would be involved with would ne on hold...

They are so far behind anyways...

Needless to say, from what people have said it looks like April 1st is going to be a big day.

I think it would be pretty foolish to let the faculty that are on the committee go on vacation. Especially at this time of the cycle. Friday could be a big day, and I just realized that all this time I thought I was on the bubble which is why I didn't hear back. I could be just waiting to be rejected. Thought about it at work, made me a little sad.

It would make more sense for them to make next week the big week since they will be seeing who is withdrawing all up until the 1st. They would have a much better sense of how the class is shaping up by that point.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:23 am

TBH, Madison is one of those cities where you absolutely do not need a car. You can walk anywhere and be just fine. But if you want a car, or you must have one.. you don't need a SUV. Just don't drive like an idiot. Although the speed limit may say a certain amount, you probably shouldn't go that amount when there is ice and snow on the roads.

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:26 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:TBH, Madison is one of those cities where you absolutely do not need a car. You can walk anywhere and be just fine. But if you want a car, or you must have one.. you don't need a SUV. Just don't drive like an idiot. Although the speed limit may say a certain amount, you probably shouldn't go that amount when there is ice and snow on the roads.

also, if you bike, madison will be heaven. they bike year round there, and have very biker friendly road setups.

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:26 am

waitlisted today and promptly withdrawing.

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:44 pm

Just something to note, for those of us admitted after March 1st, it appears we have one month to submit our decision. My deadline wasn't April 1st, but rather April 19th (one month after my admit). Just a heads up, April 1st may be a deadline for the earlier admits, but it's not for everyone.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:12 pm

just got the waitlist email. finally. time to start writing my loci on 'why wisconsin.' Im not sure how to respond to them wanting to know how likely I would attend if admitted. I would love to go to wisconsin, but it would probably be tied with another school I was already admitted to in terms of likelihood I would attend. What have others written about in their loci, and how have you dealt with their interest in you attending? thanks for the help.

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:17 pm

moandersen wrote:just got the waitlist email. finally. time to start writing my loci on 'why wisconsin.' Im not sure how to respond to them wanting to know how likely I would attend if admitted. I would love to go to wisconsin, but it would probably be tied with another school I was already admitted to in terms of likelihood I would attend. What have others written about in their loci, and how have you dealt with their interest in you attending? thanks for the help.

i would say "i would highly consider wisconsin, as it would become one of my top choices" or something along that line.

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:24 pm

moandersen wrote:just got the waitlist email. finally. time to start writing my loci on 'why wisconsin.' Im not sure how to respond to them wanting to know how likely I would attend if admitted. I would love to go to wisconsin, but it would probably be tied with another school I was already admitted to in terms of likelihood I would attend. What have others written about in their loci, and how have you dealt with their interest in you attending? thanks for the help.

I wrote that Wisconsin was my first choice and that "if admitted, I would make every effort to attend [give me moneys?]"

We'll see how it works.

tdubsWI

Postby tdubsWI » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:58 pm

I have become convinced that my application is lost but no one wants to admit to it. :(

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”