Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
robin600

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby robin600 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:19 pm

Slimpee wrote:
Panther7 wrote:Waitlisted NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Bummer, dude/dudette!

I cannot for the life of me figure out Wisconsin's timing. Judging by LSN you went complete a month after I did and I still haven't heard a word. My coworker went complete the day before me and hasn't heard a word, either...

There seems to be no pattern to Wisco's cycle!

Maybe it's because they don't have a seat deposit? So everyone who is accepted is deposited? Maybe they need more people to pull out before they make more offers, IDK, just a guess. I will be withdrawing shortly if I can't get any money through negotiating aid.

Simpler Times

Postby Simpler Times » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:15 am

If you're out of state you can get some money from time to time. That said, I would suggest asking people about it and if that fails, bring up your scholarship.

That said, I'd go to Wisconsin over OSU any day of any week even with a significant disparity in money.

brickman

Postby brickman » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:39 pm

how large does Wisconsin's wait list get?

tdubsWI

Postby tdubsWI » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:04 pm

brickman wrote:how large does Wisconsin's wait list get?

I hear in years past it stretched all the way down State Street to the Capitol

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:15 pm

tdubsWI wrote:

Better bring a sleeping bag.

Snwboarder78

Postby Snwboarder78 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:41 pm

traehekat wrote:
tdubsWI wrote:

It's like the way you used to line-up in front of the Kohl Center overnight or in the early morning to get tickets for basketball and hockey.

tdubsWI

Postby tdubsWI » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:52 pm

Snwboarder78 wrote:
traehekat wrote:
tdubsWI wrote:

It's like the way you used to line-up in front of the Kohl Center overnight or in the early morning to get tickets for basketball and hockey.

Except you knew that you were only going to be waiting in line for one day. And that you would get in...

jayare

Postby jayare » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:36 pm

Just got the invite for the two admitted student weekends!

I feel like Wisco would have saved a lot of money in postage by just sending one package rather than the 3 pieces of separate mail I've gotten in the past week.

dhuen21

Postby dhuen21 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:18 am

I just got an email letting me know that I was put on Wisconsin's wait list yesterday. I'm going to send in my LOCI this weekend. Do I have any chance of making it off the wait list and getting accepted with these numbers?
162 LSAT
3.71 GPA
Wisconsin Resident
1 year work experience
Non URM
Also, I took some college credits in High School that dragged my GPA down. My GPA would be a 3.78 if it was only based on classes that I actually took in college. Do you think it pays to submit an addendum about this. Do you recommend mailing or emailing the LOCI? Thanks for the insight.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:10 am

dhuen21 wrote:I just got an email letting me know that I was put on Wisconsin's wait list yesterday. I'm going to send in my LOCI this weekend. Do I have any chance of making it off the wait list and getting accepted with these numbers?
162 LSAT
3.71 GPA
Wisconsin Resident
1 year work experience
Non URM
Also, I took some college credits in High School that dragged my GPA down. My GPA would be a 3.78 if it was only based on classes that I actually took in college. Do you think it pays to submit an addendum about this. Do you recommend mailing or emailing the LOCI? Thanks for the insight.

I think you have a pretty good shot with those #s and being a resident. I haven't researched the subject though.

I wouldn't write an addendum for .07 points of a GPA, but I dunno. Do it if you feel like it is necessary.

I would probably mail the LOCI.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:31 am

dhuen21 wrote:I just got an email letting me know that I was put on Wisconsin's wait list yesterday. I'm going to send in my LOCI this weekend. Do I have any chance of making it off the wait list and getting accepted with these numbers?
162 LSAT
3.71 GPA
Wisconsin Resident
1 year work experience
Non URM

Wow! That does not bode well for me. When did you go complete?

dhuen21

Postby dhuen21 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:42 am

I didn't apply untill mid January because I didn't take the LSAT untill December. I think that was the biggest fault with my application.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:10 pm

162 LSAT
3.71 GPA
Wisconsin Resident
1 year work experience
Non URM

Good god. This is certainly not good news for me unless I raise my LSAT a good 3-4 points with my Feb. score. I figured in-state status, WE, and an LSAT at median would bode pretty well for me. We have the same LSAT, but you have a much higher GPA than me, so I'm probably fvcked.

tdubsWI

Postby tdubsWI » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:39 pm

JCougar wrote:
162 LSAT
3.71 GPA
Wisconsin Resident
1 year work experience
Non URM

Good god. This is certainly not good news for me unless I raise my LSAT a good 3-4 points with my Feb. score. I figured in-state status, WE, and an LSAT at median would bode pretty well for me. We have the same LSAT, but you have a much higher GPA than me, so I'm probably fvcked.

+1

Snwboarder78

Postby Snwboarder78 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:07 pm

For those wondering about the waitlist and how their chances, I can provide a some more information I have gained lately. I have talked to a couple professors in person at the law school and they all confirm that UW is trying to raise their average LSAT at least 2-4 points. I am not sure if they will actually be able to do this, but it probably accounts for the large number on the waitlist that thought they had a better chance at UW this cycle. Also, they mentioned that due to the larger than expected class size last year, they may try to have a smaller class this year.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:28 pm

Snwboarder78 wrote:For those wondering about the waitlist and how their chances, I can provide a some more information I have gained lately. I have talked to a couple professors in person at the law school and they all confirm that UW is trying to raise their average LSAT at least 2-4 points. I am not sure if they will actually be able to do this, but it probably accounts for the large number on the waitlist that thought they had a better chance at UW this cycle. Also, they mentioned that due to the larger than expected class size last year, they may try to have a smaller class this year.

Interesting, thanks for the update.

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:32 pm

Snwboarder78 wrote:For those wondering about the waitlist and how their chances, I can provide a some more information I have gained lately. I have talked to a couple professors in person at the law school and they all confirm that UW is trying to raise their average LSAT at least 2-4 points. I am not sure if they will actually be able to do this, but it probably accounts for the large number on the waitlist that thought they had a better chance at UW this cycle. Also, they mentioned that due to the larger than expected class size last year, they may try to have a smaller class this year.

(Watching my UW dreams go up in smoke) :cry:

FWIW, was WL'ed in January

Simpler Times

Postby Simpler Times » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:42 pm

Part of the issue is that the UW traditionally lets in about 50% women (http://www.dailypennsylvanian.com/node/54752) as well as very actively recruiting URMs. Because of this we get a lot of traditional white males applying with 162s and thinking it means something. I wouldn't be surprised if the White Male LSAT median were closer to 163-4.

Also, the UW bats so much further above its USNWR rank that it can choose to be picky. Send out those LOCIs and pray, you still have a shot but it isn't an assured one.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:20 pm

This doesn't seem plausible. Has any school raised their median more than 1 point in a year? Two years ago, Wisconsin's median was 161, and last year they moved it up to 162, with a 75th %ile of 163. I can see with having a smaller class size maybe moving it up to 163 this year, but to have all of a sudden 50% of your class with a score at or above what only maybe 10-15% of your class had two years ago is a little bit unreasonable, especially since your competition is also courting the same students.

Shimmer649

Postby Shimmer649 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:31 pm

JCougar wrote:

This doesn't seem plausible. Has any school raised their median more than 1 point in a year? Two years ago, Wisconsin's median was 161, and last year they moved it up to 162, with a 75th %ile of 163. I can see with having a smaller class size maybe moving it up to 163 this year, but to have all of a sudden 50% of your class with a score at or above what only maybe 10-15% of your class had two years ago is a little bit unreasonable, especially since your competition is also courting the same students.

I suspected something like this might be affecting Wisconsin's cycle, however, like JCougar says, 2-4 points doesn't seem reasonable. If this is UWs goal, I wonder how they are expecting to meet it considering the limited amount of financial aid they typically offer. I am curious about their number of URMs for this class; it seems an effective way to pick up their median would be to leave off a few lower numbered URMs rather than to dish out the $$$ necessary to secure high numbered applicants.

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:36 pm

Shimmer649 wrote:
JCougar wrote:

I suspected something like this might be affecting Wisconsin's cycle, however, like JCougar says, 2-4 points doesn't seem reasonable. If this is UWs goal, I wonder how they are expecting to meet it considering the limited amount of financial aid they typically offer.

i would think they could increase median 2 points if they started to accept splitters more than they have in the past. I hope they try to bump it up 4 points, i'm a 166 on the WL!

Shimmer649

Postby Shimmer649 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:45 pm

Panther7 wrote:
Shimmer649 wrote:
JCougar wrote:
Snwboarder78 wrote:I have talked to a couple professors in person at the law school and they all confirm that UW is trying to raise their average LSAT at least 2-4 points. Also, they mentioned that due to the larger than expected class size last year, they may try to have a smaller class this year.

I suspected something like this might be affecting Wisconsin's cycle, however, like JCougar says, 2-4 points doesn't seem reasonable. If this is UWs goal, I wonder how they are expecting to meet it considering the limited amount of financial aid they typically offer.

i would think they could increase median 2 points if they started to accept splitters more than they have in the past. I hope they try to bump it up 4 points, i'm a 166 on the WL!

Wow. That is just ridiculous that they waitlist 166s with their current numbers.

This is a good point I hadn't thought of. It seems if they are interested in raising their medians, they would aiming to move up USNWR rankings. And the best way to do that would be raising LSAT score. It probably wouldn't matter as much if their GPA median dropped marginally - so here's to your theory. Go splitters! (Of which I am not *really* one-just a low GPA-but have much love)

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:08 pm

Shimmer649 wrote:
Wow. That is just ridiculous that they waitlist 166s with their current numbers.

This is a good point I hadn't thought of. It seems if they are interested in raising their medians, they would aiming to move up USNWR rankings. And the best way to do that would be raising LSAT score. It probably wouldn't matter as much if their GPA median dropped marginally - so here's to your theory. Go splitters! (Of which I am not *really* one-just a low GPA-but have much love)

I'm positive there are other academic factors of mine that have them shying away from my 166, it seems several schools are. They aren't debilitating in any way, and there is no way my performance will be worse because of them, but I can understand why schools would hesitate with my application.

I would attend in a heartbeat if I got accepted, it's by far my favorite school out of those I applied to.

In regard to rankings, if UW decided to play that same game that Indiana is playing, they would be close to T20. For whatever reason (principle?) they have not done so to date, which is why they are generally regarded above their ranking number.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:35 pm

Simpler Times wrote:Part of the issue is that the UW traditionally lets in about 50% women (http://www.dailypennsylvanian.com/node/54752) as well as very actively recruiting URMs. Because of this we get a lot of traditional white males applying with 162s and thinking it means something. I wouldn't be surprised if the White Male LSAT median were closer to 163-4.

Also, the UW bats so much further above its USNWR rank that it can choose to be picky. Send out those LOCIs and pray, you still have a shot but it isn't an assured one.

Im hoping that wisconsin actively recruiting ethnic minorities plays to my advantage. Though not a URM, wisconsin has sent me a couple brochures about 'people of color,' which I guess is what I am. I even wrote a ds playing the angle since they seem so intent on gathering a diverse class. I still expect to get the WL though - even with an lsat that is above their 75%. looking at wisconsin on lsn just makes me confused.

qualster

Postby qualster » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:46 pm

JCougar wrote:

I spoke with a pretty knowledgeable admissions rep last week and she told me that people are applying to a lot more schools. According to her, too many schools are thinking that they're going to bump their LSAT median subsantially, and that most will probably be scrambling a bit to admit waitlisted candidates after a larger than normal number of the students they've admitted begin to choose other schools. There simply aren't enough of these folks with well above the median numbers to go around. There are more applicants than last year, but not nearly as many as would be required for every T50 school to jump one or two LSAT median points.The number of candidates hasn't increased enough to warrant the increase in aggregate apps. Those of us who are being waitlisted may become more attractive candidates come May, June, July.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”