Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ScaredWorkedBored

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:04 pm

JCougar wrote:With all due respect to Wisconsin since I would be overjoyed to go there, how many OCIed at Wisconsin this year? They list them on their website, and it didn't look like there was 60 firms. There is a difference in a bad economy. And the difference in a good economy is not "under" 10% in a good economy. Either way, 10% of the class is significant when we're only talking about ~20% of the class having a shot anyway. I can confirm this by looking at the V100 firm websites in Chicago and looking at where their partners went. Sure, you have a good shot at Foley and Quarles & Brady from Madison, but there's simply less options in Wisconsin. Definitely not saying Wisconsin's a bad school, but everything you say about UIUC is also even more true regarding Wisconsin. I agree for the most part, though, attend whichever one is cheaper.

People tend to get pissed at Illinois on this board (and elsewhere) because the pretension that they were superior to Wisconsin/Iowa/Indiana/OSU based on their recruiting tactics turned out to have no basis in fact as far as the students were concerned. Illinois got decapitated just like every other T1 school (although apparently not as bad as Notre Dame if those stories are to be believed :shock: ).

In the last boom economy cycle (hiring for Summer 2008), Wisconsin had 125 firms and Illinois had 173 at OCI; both figures taken from LSN. So they more or less peaked higher and fell harder in % terms. Making a bet on relative class rank between the two is dumb for reasons already stated. Not only is it the usual "90% of the class think they will wind up in the Top 10%" deal, it's trying to parse if you could finish Top 25% at one versus Top 20% at the other. Not a smart bet.

Illinois is the better bet if you want to work in Chicago at any size firm and it's a marginal better bet if you want to work in a Loop V100 firm, but that's it. If you want NYC/DC out of either, it's not a safe assumption that you can do worse than getting mostly A's & A-'s at either.

Postby 02122015 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:12 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snwboarder78

Postby Snwboarder78 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:32 pm

MSPeast wrote:Withdrew today, as I've gotten in higher places now, including a T-14 (GULC).

Good luck everyone!

Thanks. I hope I can take your former spot.

coolkatz321

Postby coolkatz321 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:28 am

BigFatPanda wrote:Have u talked to anyone at UW lately? Whats their take on Diploma Privilege getting challenged in the court? What do they think its gonna happen with the privilege? Are u interested in taking the bar exam at another state after graduation?

And could u post more pictures about UW-Madison? During the winter? Thanks. 8)

I highly doubt that Diploma Privilege will ever go away--the state government and the school are both well-aware that it enables them to bring in higher-caliber students. Don't count on that case going anywhere.

I can try to take some more pictures...anything in particular you'd like to see?

Oh, and on one more note--the fact that you can get beer in the student union is one of the most underrated bonuses about UW. The tap list is usually awesome, too. When I first got here in August/September, I'd hang out on the terrace overlooking Lake Mendota with my friends, watch/listen to live music and drink...it's an incredible atmosphere.

msbeautifulbasham

Postby msbeautifulbasham » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:13 pm

How long after going complete does it take for a decision? I went UR in mid-Dec. I am OOS and I'm hoping to make it to the march open house.

trekstar

Postby trekstar » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:28 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:
tdubsWI wrote:
J-tow10 wrote:
msbeautifulbasham wrote:When was the last time anyone posted about receiving a decision? I feel like it's been forever! What's going on over there, Wisconsin?!

Still on the WL. I really hope I hear back before March/April :(

Does anyone know if UW has admitted people off the WL before spring?

I don't know how this cycle will be, but last year they admitted too many people right off the bat and there wasn't a whole lot of movement as far as I remember. There was even an article in the local paper about how the incoming class was too large because a smaller percentage of people than normal turned down seats in the class.

Actually, there was a ton of movement off the waitlist last year (take this from one of the kids who got off). They didn't admit too many students, but instead WL'd them--it was a weird type of YP and their way of gauging actual interest. The class size was so huge because they admitted too many people in off the WL and almost all of them jumped on the opportunity.

Can you tell us how you got off of the WL? I've sent a LOCI and am really hoping to get off the WL - maybe you have some tips since I am just dying to go there. I have numbers at their 75th percentiles so I was pretty upset with the WL decision.

Snwboarder78

Postby Snwboarder78 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:07 pm

trekstar wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:Actually, there was a ton of movement off the waitlist last year (take this from one of the kids who got off). They didn't admit too many students, but instead WL'd them--it was a weird type of YP and their way of gauging actual interest. The class size was so huge because they admitted too many people in off the WL and almost all of them jumped on the opportunity.

Can you tell us how you got off of the WL? I've sent a LOCI and am really hoping to get off the WL - maybe you have some tips since I am just dying to go there. I have numbers at their 75th percentiles so I was pretty upset with the WL decision.

I would be interested to hear what you did that you think helped your case to move off the waitlist as well.

My plan so far is to schedule to meet with a few professors at the law school to find out some more information to include in a LOCI and then drop it off personally. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:39 pm

Anyone heard any scholly info yet? A nice scholly would end my cycle which would be beautiful.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:40 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:Anyone heard any scholly info yet? A nice scholly would end my cycle which would be beautiful.

+1. Me too.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:41 pm

Does anyone know anything about previous cycles' schollys? What type of person usually gets a scholly? Does it matter if it's in-state, out of state, URM?

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:45 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:Anyone heard any scholly info yet? A nice scholly would end my cycle which would be beautiful.

based on your profile numbers, JGG, it is a miracle you were even accepted!

(o hai, btw...witness protection)

It's only cuz I'm the URM from Avatar.

(oh and hellooooooooooooooooooooo.. didn't catch that the first time. :D )

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:54 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
Would you really end your cycle with a great scholly from UW? I mean, I really like Wisco...like, a lot...but you have some high-level numbers.

Mhm. Almost certainly. Especially with my recent dream school WL. I mean, anything can happen between now and April.

jayare

Postby jayare » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:21 pm

Has anybody gotten an acceptance package yet?

I got the acceptance email almost two weeks ago and a letter last week (the exact same email, just in paper format). Usually they send some kind of package with fancy brochures and stuff, no?

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:54 pm

jayare wrote:Has anybody gotten an acceptance package yet?

I got the acceptance email almost two weeks ago and a letter last week (the exact same email, just in paper format). Usually they send some kind of package with fancy brochures and stuff, no?

I've been accepted for a very long time and I've only gotten a couple letters.

weis14

Postby weis14 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:37 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
jayare wrote:Has anybody gotten an acceptance package yet?

I've been accepted for a very long time and I've only gotten a couple letters.

I also have not gotten an acceptance packet. I don't think that I will. I was accepted before Christmas.

I toured the law school last week and was told that they had not offered anyone scholarships yet, but hoped to make initial offers by the beginning of March.

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:59 am

coolkatz321 wrote:I'd hang out on the terrace overlooking Lake Mendota with my friends, watch/listen to live music and drink...it's an incredible atmosphere.

I like to see that 8)

robin600

Postby robin600 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:42 pm

So I just got invited to the facebook group, anyone else? Did y'all join? I did.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:47 pm

I did, but it seems like it's not working well right now: The wall,discussions, photos, group members, etc. are all hidden. It's like between 5pm and now they made it hyper-private so that even group members can't see the content. Weird.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:56 am

Nightrunner wrote:
blurbz wrote:I did, but it seems like it's not working well right now: The wall,discussions, photos, group members, etc. are all hidden. It's like between 5pm and now they made it hyper-private so that even group members can't see the content. Weird.

maybe they want to be extra-sure that they don't accidentally give out member info with the new facebook overhaul.

Yeah, but what's the point of making a facebook group for newly admitted students to meet each other if we can't interact?

coolkatz321

Postby coolkatz321 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:14 am

robin600 wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
blurbz wrote:I did, but it seems like it's not working well right now: The wall,discussions, photos, group members, etc. are all hidden. It's like between 5pm and now they made it hyper-private so that even group members can't see the content. Weird.

maybe they want to be extra-sure that they don't accidentally give out member info with the new facebook overhaul.

Yeah, but what's the point of making a facebook group for newly admitted students to meet each other if we can't interact?

There's also this Facebook group--I haven't joined yet, but it's probably going to be a lot more beneficial than anything the law school creates, mainly because it'll just be incoming students.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=222606369530&ref=search&sid=15713108.3785515953..1

Also, for those wondering what I did to get off the WL...it really wasn't anything special. I visited, conveyed my interest, and wrote a LOCI that stated that "if accepted, I will attend."

jayare

Postby jayare » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:04 pm

robin600 wrote:So I just got invited to the facebook group, anyone else? Did y'all join? I did.

I got an email about the facebook group but no invite (yet). ^_^'

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:47 am

coolkatz321 wrote:
robin600 wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:

There's also this Facebook group--I haven't joined yet, but it's probably going to be a lot more beneficial than anything the law school creates, mainly because it'll just be incoming students.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=222606369530&ref=search&sid=15713108.3785515953..1

Also, for those wondering what I did to get off the WL...it really wasn't anything special. I visited, conveyed my interest, and wrote a LOCI that stated that "if accepted, I will attend."

But there's only one person in the group, that's sad.

ATOIsp07

Postby ATOIsp07 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:24 pm

Mind you, I asked this question on January 27, 2010.

ATOIsp07 wrote:my application was sent in on 11/17. it's been under review since 12/2....should i worry, guys?

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:41 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:Mind you, I asked this question on January 27, 2010.

ATOIsp07 wrote:my application was sent in on 11/17. it's been under review since 12/2....should i worry, guys?

I feel your pain! I've been UR since 12/15...Wisc admissions is odd. Someone who went UR 12/15 was WL'ed recently but others who have been UR longer haven't heard a thing. I don't know if it's good or bad...

coolkatz321

Postby coolkatz321 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:52 pm

robin600 wrote:But there's only one person in the group, that's sad.

Haha, yeah...probably the reason I haven't joined! Maybe I should make a competing one and see if we can overtake that one?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”