Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Snwboarder78

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby Snwboarder78 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:12 am

tdubsWI wrote:
Snwboarder78 wrote:For anyone that filled in the online scholarship thingy, what did you include in consumer debt/credit card? I am trying to decide if I should list my mortgage debt in there. Since technically a mortgage is consumer debt, but I am thinking they are looking more for car payments and credit card debt. Anyone have any insight on the way to go with that? I did try emailing them to ask about it, but I haven't heard back from them yet.

I actually called the other day to ask them that exact question. They said that I could include it in the "Consumer debt" section, and that the form was a pretty loose way for them to determine financial need so that it didn't really matter too much. Being paranoid that they would think I had 100k+ in credit card debt, I still noted in the comments section that I had included my mortgage in that section rather than revolving debt.

Thanks for the info. That helps clarify it a lot.

edit:
Slimpee wrote:
J-tow10 wrote:Please accept me Wisconsin :cry:

Ohh, and after you admit J-tow admit me!!!

(in review since 12/15)

Please let me tag along in the admit as well. Same review time here as Slimpee.

TWoodWil

Postby TWoodWil » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:55 am

I've been In Review since 12/4

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:52 am

Slimpee wrote:

(in review since 12/15)

+1

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:58 am

jaskat wrote:
Slimpee wrote:

(in review since 12/15)

+1

Best of luck to all of you! Glad I started a trend, haha :D

msbeautifulbasham

Postby msbeautifulbasham » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:52 am

When was the last time anyone posted about receiving a decision? I feel like it's been forever! What's going on over there, Wisconsin?!

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:11 pm

msbeautifulbasham wrote:When was the last time anyone posted about receiving a decision? I feel like it's been forever! What's going on over there, Wisconsin?!

Still on the WL. I really hope I hear back before March/April :(

Does anyone know if UW has admitted people off the WL before spring?

tdubsWI

Postby tdubsWI » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:40 pm

J-tow10 wrote:
msbeautifulbasham wrote:When was the last time anyone posted about receiving a decision? I feel like it's been forever! What's going on over there, Wisconsin?!

I don't know how this cycle will be, but last year they admitted too many people right off the bat and there wasn't a whole lot of movement as far as I remember. There was even an article in the local paper about how the incoming class was too large because a smaller percentage of people than normal turned down seats in the class.

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:58 pm

tdubsWI wrote:
J-tow10 wrote:

I don't know how this cycle will be, but last year they admitted too many people right off the bat and there wasn't a whole lot of movement as far as I remember. There was even an article in the local paper about how the incoming class was too large because a smaller percentage of people than normal turned down seats in the class.

Ugh, this is depressing to hear...

Sounds a lot like what happened at Miami last cycle too. When you say "admitted too many people" do you mean from the WL or from the regular applicant pool?

tdubsWI

Postby tdubsWI » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:19 pm

Too many people off of the regular pool. No one gave up their seats so they were stuck with a large class size and there wasn't really movement on the waitlist.

Snwboarder78

Postby Snwboarder78 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:10 pm

I got some movement today......waitlisted. That really sucks. I guess its time to write my LOCI and walk down the hill to the law school to drop it off.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:17 pm

Snwboarder78 wrote:I got some movement today......waitlisted. That really sucks. I guess its time to write my LOCI and walk down the hill to the law school to drop it off.

Bummer...good luck getting off the WL!

Do you mind telling us when you went complete?

Snwboarder78

Postby Snwboarder78 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:30 pm

Slimpee wrote:
Snwboarder78 wrote:I got some movement today......waitlisted. That really sucks. I guess its time to write my LOCI and walk down the hill to the law school to drop it off.

Thanks. I think I am going to see about dropping down for some visits to make sure they see how interested I really am.

I went complete on 12/5 and under review 12/15.

zILch

Postby zILch » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:40 pm

Hey--

Does anyone know how money at Wisconsin works? I'm instate and would really love to go there but only if they make it seriously worth it for me. I already have offers at IL and MN that make tuition at those schools equal (actually a bit less) than instate at WI. When I visited they said something about fellowships, but I can't find any non-diversity fellowship information...

Anyone with experience/knowledge who can help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:52 pm

Snwboarder78 wrote:
Slimpee wrote:

Thanks. I think I am going to see about dropping down for some visits to make sure they see how interested I really am.

I went complete on 12/5 and under review 12/15.

Oh wow, my app must be getting close! I went UR on the same day...

coolkatz321

Postby coolkatz321 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:15 am

tdubsWI wrote:
J-tow10 wrote:

Actually, there was a ton of movement off the waitlist last year (take this from one of the kids who got off). They didn't admit too many students, but instead WL'd them--it was a weird type of YP and their way of gauging actual interest. The class size was so huge because they admitted too many people in off the WL and almost all of them jumped on the opportunity.

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:42 am

zILch wrote:Hey--

Does anyone know how money at Wisconsin works? I'm instate and would really love to go there but only if they make it seriously worth it for me. I already have offers at IL and MN that make tuition at those schools equal (actually a bit less) than instate at WI. When I visited they said something about fellowships, but I can't find any non-diversity fellowship information...

Thanks.

dude or ma'am, unless you're African American who spawned from a gang infested neighborhood and saved the community by converting insidious gangsters to upright police officers, you're getting zero dollar from UW. Frankly, if you got into UIUC with scholarship that offsets its tuition to the level of UW instate, then it would've been obvious to everyone that you should just attend UIUC.

Edit----leave your seat to me. :mrgreen:
Last edited by BigFatPanda on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coolkatz321

Postby coolkatz321 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:27 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
BigFatPanda wrote:

Thanks.

dude or ma'am, unless you're African American who spawned from a gang infested neighborhood and saved the community by converting insidious gangsters to upright police officers, you're getting zero dollar from UW. Frankly, if you got into UIUC with scholarship that offsets its tuition to the level of UW instate, then it would've been obvious to everyone that you should just attend UIUC.

I really hope this isn't true.

Unless your numbers are excellent (read: 167+, 3.7+), you should expect no money from UW.

All costs being equal, I'd still take UW over UIUC (and did, in fact).

zILch

Postby zILch » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:41 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
BigFatPanda wrote:

Thanks.

Unless your numbers are excellent (read: 167+, 3.7+), you should expect no money from UW.

Why did you? What swayed you from UIUC to WI?

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:47 pm

Here's the best advice I can give:

Everyone (especially in-staters) that has better numbers than me should go somewhere else, because I want to get in. :D

Thanks,
JCougar

- Seriously, though, UIUC has significantly better Biglaw prospects than Wisconsin. If you want to do Chicago Biglaw, definitely choose Illinois. If you want to work in Wisconsin afterwards, choose Wisconsin and enjoy not having to take the bar.

coolkatz321

Postby coolkatz321 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:54 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:

:? One of those numbers is significantly higher...the other, not so much.

And I am also interested in your perspective on the UW/Illinois debate. I'm a Wisco resident, and I love Madison, but I really like everything I know about Illinois.

Also, our resident Admissions Dean offered me 120,000 reasons to choose Illinois.

I think it depends on what you're looking for--if you want to work in Chicago and/or Big Law, you have a better chance at UIUC.

I truly believe UW has more mobility...granted, I plan on taking advantage of the bar privilege that grads get, but still--I know a number of Wisconsin grads who branched out to both coasts...and no, they weren't top of their class. Obviously ITE, things are different, I'm sure. UW doesn't play the rankings game nearly as much as other schools, so their ranking is lower than it could be.

I chose UW over UIUC for a few reasons: I liked the school and city better, I could take a year off to get residency, and they don't raise their tuition at a rate even close to UIUC. Also, Chicago sucks :mrgreen: . I've been in Madison since August, and I haven't regretted my decision even for a moment.

Snwboarder78

Postby Snwboarder78 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:56 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:
tdubsWI wrote:
J-tow10 wrote:

Actually, there was a ton of movement off the waitlist last year (take this from one of the kids who got off). They didn't admit too many students, but instead WL'd them--it was a weird type of YP and their way of gauging actual interest. The class size was so huge because they admitted too many people in off the WL and almost all of them jumped on the opportunity.

I really hope there is a lot of movement again this year. I really want to get in. I think I am going to try and stop by a number of times. I have had a few friends graduate from law school there and they all really enjoyed it. Otherwise its time to find a post-doc I suppose.

BobDole34

Postby BobDole34 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:35 pm

JCougar wrote:Here's the best advice I can give:

Everyone (especially in-staters) that has better numbers than me should go somewhere else, because I want to get in. :D

Thanks,
JCougar

- Seriously, though, UIUC has significantly better Biglaw prospects than Wisconsin. If you want to do Chicago Biglaw, definitely choose Illinois. If you want to work in Wisconsin afterwards, choose Wisconsin and enjoy not having to take the bar.

60 firms at their last OCI. "significantly" better? We're talking perhaps getting one bad grade on an exam @ UIUC and falling out of the top 10-20% required for those coveted firms. I'll be even more real with you: anyone who decides between UIUC and Wisconsin on big law is just another naive pre-law student. We're talking a difference of under 10% of the class in a good economy and almost 0% difference in a bad economy.

As for Nightrunner: attend the cheaper school. They're probably close in price given your large scholly. Attend whichever you feel more comfortable at unless there is a major geographic interest (e.g. wanting to stay in Milwaukee or something).

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:51 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:

:? One of those numbers is significantly higher...the other, not so much.

And I am also interested in your perspective on the UW/Illinois debate. I'm a Wisco resident, and I love Madison, but I really like everything I know about Illinois.

Also, our resident Admissions Dean offered me 120,000 reasons to choose Illinois.

I think it depends on what you're looking for--if you want to work in Chicago and/or Big Law, you have a better chance at UIUC.

I truly believe UW has more mobility...granted, I plan on taking advantage of the bar privilege that grads get, but still--I know a number of Wisconsin grads who branched out to both coasts...and no, they weren't top of their class. Obviously ITE, things are different, I'm sure. UW doesn't play the rankings game nearly as much as other schools, so their ranking is lower than it could be.

I chose UW over UIUC for a few reasons: I liked the school and city better, I could take a year off to get residency, and they don't raise their tuition at a rate even close to UIUC. Also, Chicago sucks :mrgreen: . I've been in Madison since August, and I haven't regretted my decision even for a moment.

Have u talked to anyone at UW lately? Whats their take on Diploma Privilege getting challenged in the court? What do they think its gonna happen with the privilege? Are u interested in taking the bar exam at another state after graduation?

And could u post more pictures about UW-Madison? During the winter? Thanks. 8)

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:21 pm

Bascom Hill in the winter. For those of you who haven't visited, Bascom is basically the center of the campus, which is HUGE. The Law schools is halfway up the hill on the left, right at the heart of the campus. I love that, as you're not secluded off in some far corner or 15 miles away from the rest of everything.

Also, the city/campus is just AMAZING. It really is one of the coolest school environments I've been to.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:51 pm

BobDole34 wrote:
JCougar wrote:Here's the best advice I can give:

Thanks,
JCougar

60 firms at their last OCI. "significantly" better? We're talking perhaps getting one bad grade on an exam @ UIUC and falling out of the top 10-20% required for those coveted firms. I'll be even more real with you: anyone who decides between UIUC and Wisconsin on big law is just another naive pre-law student. We're talking a difference of under 10% of the class in a good economy and almost 0% difference in a bad economy.

As for Nightrunner: attend the cheaper school. They're probably close in price given your large scholly. Attend whichever you feel more comfortable at unless there is a major geographic interest (e.g. wanting to stay in Milwaukee or something).

With all due respect to Wisconsin since I would be overjoyed to go there, how many OCIed at Wisconsin this year? They list them on their website, and it didn't look like there was 60 firms. There is a difference in a bad economy. And the difference in a good economy is not "under" 10% in a good economy. Either way, 10% of the class is significant when we're only talking about ~20% of the class having a shot anyway. I can confirm this by looking at the V100 firm websites in Chicago and looking at where their partners went. Sure, you have a good shot at Foley and Quarles & Brady from Madison, but there's simply less options in Wisconsin. Definitely not saying Wisconsin's a bad school, but everything you say about UIUC is also even more true regarding Wisconsin. I agree for the most part, though, attend whichever one is cheaper.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”