Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Panther7

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby Panther7 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:37 pm

jbrowning82 wrote:I've been 'in review' since 12/17. Is it because I'm a splitter? 169/3.05/Peace Corps.

Have any splitters gotten accepted yet?

just went into review a few days ago, i'll let you know :P

but according to LSN, if you sort by those in state, there have been splitters accepted.

http://wisconsin.lawschoolnumbers.com/a ... ,8&type=jd

Snwboarder78

Postby Snwboarder78 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:24 am

Hopefully they get another batch done this week. With the extra day off they may be able to get through more apps this week. Or maybe they took the day off.

msbeautifulbasham

Postby msbeautifulbasham » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:22 am

Snwboarder78 wrote:Hopefully they get another batch done this week. With the extra day off they may be able to get through more apps this week. Or maybe they took the day off.

I hope so, I want to go here soooo bad

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:27 am

C'mon Badgers! I suspect a decision w/in a few weeks...

msbeautifulbasham

Postby msbeautifulbasham » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:09 pm

Did anyone fill out the Wisconsin scholarship form? If so, what kinds of things did you discuss in the narrative box? How long was your response?

weis14

Postby weis14 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:39 pm

msbeautifulbasham wrote:Did anyone fill out the Wisconsin scholarship form? If so, what kinds of things did you discuss in the narrative box? How long was your response?

I discussed the fact that neither of my parents went to college, we never had much money, and so on. My response was about 300 words long.

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:34 pm

New TLS username...feels weird :?

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:02 pm

Awfully quiet around these parts lately...

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:23 pm

J-tow10 wrote:Awfully quiet around these parts lately...

I know! I've heard from several "peer" schools of WI and I would like to be a Badger already! I wonder what they're doing...

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:30 pm

WI has more than two law schools?
Is there anyone here concerned about Diploma Privilege getting revoke when Class of 2013 is about to graduate?

msbeautifulbasham

Postby msbeautifulbasham » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:01 pm

So is there seriously nothing an OOS student can do to earn in-state status at UW after his/her first year?

tdubsWI

Postby tdubsWI » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:13 pm

msbeautifulbasham wrote:So is there seriously nothing an OOS student can do to earn in-state status at UW after his/her first year?

Marry a resident

msbeautifulbasham

Postby msbeautifulbasham » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:16 pm

tdubsWI wrote:
msbeautifulbasham wrote:So is there seriously nothing an OOS student can do to earn in-state status at UW after his/her first year?

Marry a resident

this works? my SO lives in Wisconsin, so it may be a possibility. This is what I was hoping for, but I was researching the UW Web site this morning, and it gave me the impression that the only way to get in-state status was to live in Wisconsin for 12 months prior to enrolling. If this is true, at least its better than nothing. But I wish just buying property would work, since I plan on moving there anyway.

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:15 pm

BigFatPanda wrote:WI has more than two law schools?
Is there anyone here concerned about Diploma Privilege getting revoke when Class of 2013 is about to graduate?

Just WI and Marquette.

And it's interesting, been watching the case, not sure yet...

also, it's been quiet from UW... toooooo quiet.....

MoS

Postby MoS » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:10 pm

Is this just a personal fear or is there talk about getting rid of it? And now that you mentioned it, yes I am a bit worried

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:14 pm

Why would it get revoked, what are you talking about, please explain...

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:38 am

robin600 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

just one that i found.

basically it's being challenged in court as unfair as we speak.

MoS

Postby MoS » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:27 am

Panther7 wrote:
robin600 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

just one that i found.

The lawsuit isn't to dissolve the Diploma Privilege, it is to extend it to out of state graduates. I don't think the Wisconsin legislature would rather strike Diploma Privilege than extent it grads from schools outside of Wisconsin. If they lose I would imagine they would just extend it and maybe make the requirements more stringent.

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:03 am

MoS wrote:
Panther7 wrote:
robin600 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

just one that i found.

The lawsuit isn't to dissolve the Diploma Privilege, it is to extend it to out of state graduates. I don't think the Wisconsin legislature would rather strike Diploma Privilege than extent it grads from schools outside of Wisconsin. If they lose I would imagine they would just extend it and maybe make the requirements more stringent.

we don't know what the legislature will do.

MoS

Postby MoS » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:43 pm

MoS wrote:
Panther7 wrote:
robin600 wrote:
BigFatPanda wrote:Why would it get revoked, what are you talking about, please explain...

--LinkRemoved--

just one that i found.

we don't know what the legislature will do.

True. But in the TLS spirit we should all make wild guesses.

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:08 pm

I am very stunned by Judge Posner and his fellow collegue's harsh words on Diploma Privilege. Compare to what J Michael Jakes received from the supreme court justices in the Bliski v. Kappos case, if that was a cold shoulder, then Wisconsin just received a vote of no confidence. Further, i am very concerned that even members of wisconsin bar are very skeptical about the diploma privilege as well and suggests possible abolition of said privilege.

To complicate the matter, Federal District Judge Barbara Crabb has just decertified the case from a class action suit so that even if Chris Wiesmueller loses the case, others can continue to challenge it. see --LinkRemoved--.

And i am pretty sure Chris Wiesmueller initiate the suit not to extend the privilege to all, rather to abolish it for all.

In response to out of state student getting residence status, wisconsin statue 36.27(2) (cm) states:

Any person continuously employed full time in this state, who was relocated to this state by his or her current employer or who moved to this state for employment purposes and accepted his or her current employment before applying for admission to an institution and before moving, and the spouse and dependents of any such person, are entitled to the exemption under par. (a) if the student demonstrates an intent to establish and maintain a permanent home in Wisconsin according to the criteria under par. (e). In this paragraph, "dependents" has the meaning given in 26 USC 152(a).

According to this, if you were already working at the time of applying to Wisconsin and transfers to Wisconsin while maintaining this employment, then you would be granted residency status for tuition purpose without waiting for 12 month.

I am currently a VA resident and on my application, i stated that if admitted, i will ask for a transfer to Wisconsin while working for my current employer. So far, my Wisconsin online status shows that i am classified as a resident, for tuition purpose. Of course, i think this is only provisional and it would've been for nothing if i am to be rejected by Wisconsin. Even if i am admitted, i am going to have to visit and make sure this is seal in stone.

If anyone is interested, i'll keep them updated.

Other than that, keep a gazing eye on the law suit.

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:02 pm

While I am somewhat confident that courts in Wisconsin would rule against abolishing Diploma Privilege considering the fact that its just a defensive measure to discourage a major brain drain out of the state, not an offensive measure to exclude or discourage others from coming in (Thus, it is not a matter of inter-state commerce because you're not really preventing the free flow of attorney in and out of the state). What i am really concerned about is what happens if this case goes back to Judge Posner or even to the supreme court (I am damn sure Chris Wiesmueller would appeal when he loses)? Obviously judge Posner already made up his mind about Diploma Privilege and ready to rule before he hears what Wisconsin has to say.

jayare

Postby jayare » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:37 pm

So my status on the app checker has been "In Review" since 11/24. Today is the two month mark! But as much as I love anniversaries I'm getting a little apprehensive. :?

Any thoughts on why this may be/is anyone else in the same sitch? Does UW just take inordinate amounts of time to decide, or...?

Thanks!

antler

Postby antler » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:53 pm

I've also been "In Review" since 11/24.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:55 pm

jayare wrote:So my status on the app checker has been "In Review" since 11/24. Today is the two month mark! But as much as I love anniversaries I'm getting a little apprehensive. :?

Any thoughts on why this may be/is anyone else in the same sitch? Does UW just take inordinate amounts of time to decide, or...?

Thanks!

It depends on your numbers, if you're not at 75th for either GPA or LSAT it might be awhile

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”