Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Snwboarder78
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:05 am

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby Snwboarder78 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:43 pm

JayTal wrote:
Slimpee wrote:I just about had a heart attack when I received an email from Wisc...inviting me to apply for scholarships. Yes, I think it's a fantastic idea but let me in first!


+1


I understand why they send it out to everyone that applied. However, I would think there should be a better way since most of the class has not been offered spots yet. Seems like it just makes a lot of extra work for them. Not that I can think of a better way myself.

eleemosynary
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:07 pm

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby eleemosynary » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:46 pm

Are any of you writing something for the narrative section? Almost looks like I should cut and paste my addendum in there.

adonai
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby adonai » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:52 pm

What confuses me even more is that the scholarship invitation is under "mailings" on the status checker. That gave me a heart attack for some reason..

STPaulTennis
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby STPaulTennis » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:55 pm

So, basically everyone got the scholarship message? I just want to confirm this point.

adonai
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby adonai » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:58 pm

STPaulTennis wrote:So, basically everyone got the scholarship message? I just want to confirm this point.

Yeah, it's a mass mailing to all applicants to tease those who haven't gotten decisions yet.

User avatar
Neil
Posts: 178
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby Neil » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:00 pm

STPaulTennis wrote:So, basically everyone got the scholarship message? I just want to confirm this point.


Seems to be the case, unless we're all admits, and there is nothing on the status checker or in the e-mail that would indicate that. :(

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby JCougar » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:00 pm

JayTal wrote:
Slimpee wrote:I just about had a heart attack when I received an email from Wisc...inviting me to apply for scholarships. Yes, I think it's a fantastic idea but let me in first!


+1

+ 2

I haven't even gotten my status checker e-mail/password saying they received my app yet, but I got this. Since Wisconsin is my #1 choice, I nearly jumped out of my shoes here at work when I saw their name in my inbox. I feel like a desperate guy waiting for this totally hot girl I met last week to call me back.

User avatar
rockthelaw
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby rockthelaw » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:26 pm

I was waitlisted about a month ago, and I just got the scholarship email. Not sure why they're taunting me.

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby Slimpee » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:28 pm

rockthelaw wrote:I was waitlisted about a month ago, and I just got the scholarship email. Not sure why they're taunting me.


Did you get WL'ed via email?

User avatar
xanderdellus
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:58 am

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby xanderdellus » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:40 pm

Seriously, guys? Scholarship email, but no decision? Really? Who thought this was a good idea?

User avatar
rockthelaw
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby rockthelaw » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:43 pm

Slimpee wrote:
rockthelaw wrote:I was waitlisted about a month ago, and I just got the scholarship email. Not sure why they're taunting me.


Did you get WL'ed via email?


Yes -- the same email that others received that strongly encouraged me to write an LOCI stating "Why Wisconsin."

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby Slimpee » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:34 pm

rockthelaw wrote:Yes -- the same email that others received that strongly encouraged me to write an LOCI stating "Why Wisconsin."


haha, I wrote a "Why Wisc" as an addendum so if i'm WL'ed i'm screwed!

nycparalegal
Posts: 483
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:26 am

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby nycparalegal » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:59 pm

Is the scholarship email targeted or is it a mass email?

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby JCougar » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:09 pm

nycparalegal wrote:Is the scholarship email targeted or is it a mass email?


Mass.

lewis louis
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:08 am

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby lewis louis » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:18 am

Slimpee wrote:
rockthelaw wrote:Yes -- the same email that others received that strongly encouraged me to write an LOCI stating "Why Wisconsin."


haha, I wrote a "Why Wisc" as an addendum so if i'm WL'ed i'm screwed!

why cant you just write something else and visit campus?

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby Slimpee » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:27 am

lewis louis wrote:
Slimpee wrote:
rockthelaw wrote:Yes -- the same email that others received that strongly encouraged me to write an LOCI stating "Why Wisconsin."


haha, I wrote a "Why Wisc" as an addendum so if i'm WL'ed i'm screwed!

why cant you just write something else and visit campus?


That's exactly what i'll do. I wasn't posting out of desperation, just amusement...

User avatar
rockthelaw
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby rockthelaw » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:07 am

Slimpee wrote:
lewis louis wrote:
Slimpee wrote:
rockthelaw wrote:Yes -- the same email that others received that strongly encouraged me to write an LOCI stating "Why Wisconsin."


haha, I wrote a "Why Wisc" as an addendum so if i'm WL'ed i'm screwed!

why cant you just write something else and visit campus?


That's exactly what i'll do. I wasn't posting out of desperation, just amusement...


I actually visited campus about 3 weeks after I applied. I met with Mike Hall and talked briefly about my interest in the school, in Madison, and asked some questions about different internships and programs available to students. I visited on a Thursday, and was there overnight, so I even went to Bar Review and met some 1Ls outside the classroom! My LSAT is above the 75%, GPA just under median. I suppose if I really want to go to the school, I need to write an LOCI that talks not only about my interest in the school, but also about the visit and how that increased my interest.

Anyway, it is amusing how these schools play games.

User avatar
Panther7
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:34 pm

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby Panther7 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:26 am

yeah, i visited and talked to Dean Hall, but I don't think he ever got my name. I considered sending in a why wisconsin, but i figured I'd just save it for a LOCI if needed. Plus a second visit if i'm waitlisted gives me a good excuse to go visit some friends down there :P

Anyways, went in review yesterday after filling out that scholly thing, *cross fingers*. One can only hope!

trpmywire7
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:39 am

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby trpmywire7 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:10 am

I just received an acceptance email! It came in at ~ 9:30 am Eastern time. Application was received 12/17, file deemed complete 12/22.

Good luck to everyone waiting!

User avatar
xanderdellus
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:58 am

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby xanderdellus » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:51 pm

I have that stupid scholarship email marked as unread in my email folder in order to remind me to fill it out. Now every time I open the folder, I see an email from WI admissions and my heart goes pitter-pat before I remember what it is. FML.

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby moandersen » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:50 pm

I plan to finish my application for Wisconsin this weekend, but before I do, I have a question. I am what the school calls a 'person of color' (though not a urm), and am considering writing a diversity statement to go along with my application. From what I have read in their viewbook and their 'students of color' pamphlet, it seems they place a high value on ethnic minorities. Should I play up the 'student of color' in my diversity statement? Im expecting a waitlist, so ive decided to send my 'why wisconsin' loci once that happens. Thoughts from other minorities, or others?

out of all my apps, wisconsin is in the top 2 in terms of schools i want to attend, and i really want to do this correctly to increase my chance of admittance. thanks.

mxc
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:19 am

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby mxc » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:54 pm

moandersen wrote:I plan to finish my application for Wisconsin this weekend, but before I do, I have a question. I am what the school calls a 'person of color' (though not a urm), and am considering writing a diversity statement to go along with my application. From what I have read in their viewbook and their 'students of color' pamphlet, it seems they place a high value on ethnic minorities. Should I play up the 'student of color' in my diversity statement? Im expecting a waitlist, so ive decided to send my 'why wisconsin' loci once that happens. Thoughts from other minorities, or others?

out of all my apps, wisconsin is in the top 2 in terms of schools i want to attend, and i really want to do this correctly to increase my chance of admittance. thanks.

Yes, play it up.

User avatar
Panther7
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:34 pm

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby Panther7 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:25 pm

moandersen wrote:I plan to finish my application for Wisconsin this weekend, but before I do, I have a question. I am what the school calls a 'person of color' (though not a urm), and am considering writing a diversity statement to go along with my application. From what I have read in their viewbook and their 'students of color' pamphlet, it seems they place a high value on ethnic minorities. Should I play up the 'student of color' in my diversity statement? Im expecting a waitlist, so ive decided to send my 'why wisconsin' loci once that happens. Thoughts from other minorities, or others?

out of all my apps, wisconsin is in the top 2 in terms of schools i want to attend, and i really want to do this correctly to increase my chance of admittance. thanks.


in short, yes.

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby moandersen » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:49 am

wrote the diversity statement tonight. talked about being of mixed race, and how that presents its own issues. hopefully the application will be sent by the end of the weekend. come on wisconsin. be good to me.

jbrowning82
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:03 pm

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Postby jbrowning82 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:00 am

I've been 'in review' since 12/17. Is it because I'm a splitter? 169/3.05/Peace Corps.

Have any splitters gotten accepted yet?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Justtrying2help and 13 guests