Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tdubsWI

New

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Post by tdubsWI » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:44 pm

Man, it seems like the only movement happening (on LSN at least) is WL/rejections. Someone with a 162/3.2 just posted a ding. Similar numbers to me so that doesn't make me feel too good.

Simpler Times

New

Post by Simpler Times » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:56 pm

Shimmer649 wrote: Wow. That is just ridiculous that they waitlist 166s with their current numbers.
Might be a waitlist, might be a yield protect. I got waitlisted with a 168 for a grand total of 3 days.

On raising the LSAT median, there's a split in the faculty. Some of the older professors think that a quality education should be available to everyone and they don't give a crap about our USNWR rank. Some of the newer faculty realize that times have changed and are pushing for higher numbers.

Wisconsin is one of the few schools that could legitimately get higher numbers if it wanted them. There are a lot of people with good scores that would like to stay in Wisconsin, and it would simply be a matter of clamping down on class size and keeping out some of the sub 160 riffraff.

That said, the same holistic application process that lets someone with a 158 in ALSO means that there are no automatic admits because the staff at Wisconsin actually looks at the entirety of your application (unlike other law schools).

tdubsWI

New

Post by tdubsWI » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:59 pm

Just had a very vivid dream where I got dinged via email and then went down to the admissions office where they explained in great detail about 100 things that were wrong with my app. In the dream I had put URLs in my personal statement, didn't have the right LOR, and for some reason I said I was from Florida so I didn't get in state consideration...

Also, the title of the email they sent me was You F****d Up or something ridiculous like that. :shock:

I think all of this waiting is slowly starting to kill me...

Headybrah

Bronze

Post by Headybrah » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:07 pm

I never got a status checker... should I get in contact with the school
I know I got a complete email

tdubsWI

New

Post by tdubsWI » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:55 pm

Headybrah wrote:I never got a status checker... should I get in contact with the school
You can call them for it on Monday, but you are just going to be staring at "In Review" forever...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

qualster

Bronze

Post by qualster » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:01 pm

tdubsWI wrote:
Headybrah wrote:I never got a status checker... should I get in contact with the school
You can call them for it on Monday, but you are just going to be staring at "In Review" forever...
Luckily, "in review" at Wisco actually means something when you have an "iffy" LSAT score to go along with a respectable GPA. They're actually trying to decide whether or not to take the guy with a 3.6 and a 161 or the guy with a 2.5 and a 166. Indiana would file the 161, 3.6 app in the cylindrical filing cabinet without thinking twice while the guy with the 2.5 and a 166 would get a congratulatory call from the dean immediately.

Or maybe I'm wrong (I'm probably not). Eh, who knows.

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:09 pm

qualster wrote: Luckily, "in review" at Wisco means something. They're actually trying to decide whether or not to take the guy with a 3.6 and a 161 or the guy with a 2.5 and a 166. Indiana would file the 161, 3.6 app in the cylindrical filing cabinet without thinking twice while the guy with the 2.5 and a 166 would get a congratulatory call from the dean immediately.

Im pretty sure you are wrong. Everyone goes 'in review' (even auto-rejects) at wisconsin and they are incredibly slow with their decisions.

qualster

Bronze

Post by qualster » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:17 pm

moandersen wrote:
qualster wrote: Luckily, "in review" at Wisco means something. They're actually trying to decide whether or not to take the guy with a 3.6 and a 161 or the guy with a 2.5 and a 166. Indiana would file the 161, 3.6 app in the cylindrical filing cabinet without thinking twice while the guy with the 2.5 and a 166 would get a congratulatory call from the dean immediately.

Im pretty sure you are wrong. Everyone goes 'in review' (even auto-rejects) at wisconsin and they are incredibly slow with their decisions.
Eh, maybe I am. You're probably right. I'm kind of just learning about this stuff. By the way, who is that pictured in your avatar? Patrick Duffy of Step By Step?

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:19 pm

qualster wrote:Eh, maybe I am. You're probably right. I'm kind of just learning about this stuff. By the way, who is that pictured in your avatar? Patrick Duffy of Step By Step?
Da Coach, the honorable Mike Ditka.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

qualster

Bronze

Post by qualster » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:23 pm

moandersen wrote:
qualster wrote:Eh, maybe I am. You're probably right. I'm kind of just learning about this stuff. By the way, who is that pictured in your avatar? Patrick Duffy of Step By Step?
Da Coach, the honorable Mike Ditka.
Gotcha.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:05 am

moandersen wrote:

No, they're right. The Indiana admissions committee really is a bunch of LSAT whores. It's unfortunate.
Last edited by coolkatz321 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbrowning82

Bronze

Post by jbrowning82 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:50 am

Granted, I'm a splitter so I suppose I'm a bit biased, but it seems to me that someone with a 2.5 in something like chemistry but a 170 on the LSAT is probably going to be better suited for the type of thinking that is required in Law School than someone with a 3.6 in philosophy and a 160 on the LSAT, mutatis mutandis.

qualster

Bronze

Post by qualster » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:26 am

jbrowning82 wrote:Granted, I'm a splitter so I suppose I'm a bit biased, but it seems to me that someone with a 2.5 in something like chemistry but a 170 on the LSAT is probably going to be better suited for the type of thinking that is required in Law School than someone with a 3.6 in philosophy and a 160 on the LSAT, mutatis mutandis.
You widened the gap and threw in other conditionals to make a point. Then again, I may have exaggerated slightly to make a point. Of course major would have been assumed to be rather equal (because we didn't say otherwise), and we were comparing 166, 2.5 to 161, 3.6. Indiana treats the former like the bell fo the ball, while they treat the latter like dog crap.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JayTal

Bronze

Post by JayTal » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:37 am

Well I was wait-listed with a 168 and withdrew the same day. Hopefully my spot will go to one of you! :D

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:12 pm

Nightrunner wrote:oh, and P.S.: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2443758843

Wisconsin > Emory and Minnesota in BigLaw placement!
What class is that for?

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:19 pm

msbeautifulbasham

Bronze

Post by msbeautifulbasham » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:29 pm

So, I know a lot of you are also considering UIUC in addition to UW. All things being equal, which school would you prefer to attend? Wisconsin or Illinois? Why?

(I think I would be happy in either Midwest market and I'm trying to decide between the two.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:08 pm

msbeautifulbasham wrote:So, I know a lot of you are also considering UIUC in addition to UW. All things being equal, which school would you prefer to attend? Wisconsin or Illinois? Why?

(I think I would be happy in either Midwest market and I'm trying to decide between the two.)
I chose Wisconsin. Personal preference, though. Also, I could afford to take a year off and get in-state tuition, which accounted for a pretty significant different in cost. Dean Pless at UIUC is awesome, though.

BobDole34

New

Post by BobDole34 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:37 pm

The NLJ rankings only confirm what UW students have been saying for years: we're like most other t25 public schools. Illinois, Minnesota, heck even Indiana - they play a different game with the US News, but Wisconsin is objectively one of the best public law schools in the country and a great regional choice for the midwest. I am not critiquing specific TLS posters, but the borderline absurdity that some people have placed on bad data (e.g. 5% more in BIGLAW, 2 spots on the US News, etc) is astounding on this website.

I am glad we finally have a solid portrayal of Wisconsin that accurately represents the strength of the institution. With rising LSAT medians as well, I suspect it'll keep pace with Minnesota/Illinois around that t30 position. If you want to practice law in the Midwest, start looking at debt, comfort level, and geography when deciding between a WashU-Illinois-Minnesota-Wisco-Indiana split. Let's put the US News rankings aside. They're essentially an illusion and this NLJ data is more proof.
Last edited by BobDole34 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:38 pm

Yet another letter came in the mail today. WI definitely sends out the most letters of any school I applied to.

Anyways.. schollys coming soon!

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:21 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:Yet another letter came in the mail today. WI definitely sends out the most letters of any school I applied to.

Anyways.. schollys coming soon!
They sent me a good amount of material before I applied encouraging me to apply. then i did. now silence...... :(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:37 pm

Nightrunner wrote:SCHOLARSHIP EMAIL!!!
O rly? What'd it say?

nyskidude

Bronze

Post by nyskidude » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:00 am

I'm hoping to receive a scholarship e-mail myself soon (I got scholly's at tOSU and UIUC, so I'm hoping Wisconsin can make it rain on me), but I'm very impressed with Wisconsin. I e-mailed the career services center at 5 different schools on Monday asking them a question. Wisconsin got back to me later that day with a very informative, well-thought-out response. None of the other 4 schools have contacted me yet.

I'm going to be visiting them on St. Patrick's Day, and I e-mailed them this morning about 8:45 EST (7:45 their time). I got an e-mail back from them at 8:52 EST. They are very quick and they make it seem like they care a lot. Bravo, UW. Bravo.

Simpler Times

New

Post by Simpler Times » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:31 am

nyskidude wrote:I'm hoping to receive a scholarship e-mail myself soon (I got scholly's at tOSU and UIUC, so I'm hoping Wisconsin can make it rain on me), but I'm very impressed with Wisconsin. I e-mailed the career services center at 5 different schools on Monday asking them a question. Wisconsin got back to me later that day with a very informative, well-thought-out response. None of the other 4 schools have contacted me yet.

I'm going to be visiting them on St. Patrick's Day, and I e-mailed them this morning about 8:45 EST (7:45 their time). I got an e-mail back from them at 8:52 EST. They are very quick and they make it seem like they care a lot. Bravo, UW. Bravo.
You're out of state so you might get some money. Generally though you either have to be a URM or have exceptional scores and be from out of state. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen though. Money is usually only given to people who could have easily gone to a significantly higher ranked school.

nyskidude

Bronze

Post by nyskidude » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:39 am

Simpler Times wrote:
nyskidude wrote:I'm hoping to receive a scholarship e-mail myself soon (I got scholly's at tOSU and UIUC, so I'm hoping Wisconsin can make it rain on me), but I'm very impressed with Wisconsin. I e-mailed the career services center at 5 different schools on Monday asking them a question. Wisconsin got back to me later that day with a very informative, well-thought-out response. None of the other 4 schools have contacted me yet.

You're out of state so you might get some money. Generally though you either have to be a URM or have exceptional scores and be from out of state. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen though. Money is usually only given to people who could have easily gone to a significantly higher ranked school.
Here's to UW loving some good GPA!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”