Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rockthelaw

Bronze

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Post by rockthelaw » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:45 pm

bump

mchrop10

New

Post by mchrop10 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:20 pm

Awfully quite around here lately. Anyone hear anything this week? I'm convinced my status checker will forever read, "Under Review 11/24."

lmurp3

New

Post by lmurp3 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:25 pm

I'm in the same boats as you all. I was beginning to think they just lost my application. Especially after looking at LSN at some of the acceptances that went complete wayyyy after my application. What's the deal with them not going in order of completed apps? I need that kind of structure.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:27 pm

Waitlisted today, thanks but no thanks. It said it would be helpful if I informed them of whether I would accept an offer of admission.

charcop

New

Post by charcop » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:47 pm

Waitlisted as well. Received email at 1:30pm PST

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

legalzoom

New

Post by legalzoom » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:55 pm

+1 WL, so I withdrew my app. I'd rather attend one of the other midwest schools...

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:53 pm

Applied 12/16

Application Recieved 12/17

Application Complete 12/22

Admitted via Email 12/23

One week turnaround for me. I´m instate, below 25th for GPA and reasonably above 75th for LSAT. Needless to say, I´m excited! It will take a LOT for another school to pry me away from Madison.

Good luck to everyone waiting. I´m pulling for you!

Hopefullawstudent

Bronze

Post by Hopefullawstudent » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:45 am

Just got the most *hint hint *wink wink waitlist email imaginable. [UW did this to me for UG too (I went elsewhere).]

Above 75th, Grad Degree from elite private, UG good public.

From the email: "Although being placed on this wait list is no guarantee of admission [wtf?], some applicants from the wait list very likely will be offered admission."

Also, and this part is underlined: "If you have a special interest in attending the Law School, we encourage you to send us a letter or e-mail in which you speak specifically to that interest and the likelihood that you would enroll if admitted (admissions@law.wisc.edu)."

I've already been admitted to a couple of T20s, (although I really do love Madison), so I am probably going to withdraw. But come on, UW, this waitlist amounts to playing games. I don't respect that. I know all schools try to keep their admit numbers low and their matriculation ratio high, but I think there is a classier way to do this. They could call and interview me to inquire about my interest, or they could write a letter asking applicants to speak to their specific interest in the school, but don't overuse the waitlist.

The waitlist is for people who the school wants, but simply doesn't have room for. It's not for "holding" applicants to see how interested they are in attending. If you don't think I'm interested in attending, just ax me. I wouldn't be insulted about a rejection from a great law school like UW. I am a little insulted about being played with however.

Good luck to everyone else. Madison is an amazing city and the law school is very underrated if you ask me.

-HL

Edit: From what I've been told, Wisconsin is gaining a reputation for its preference for the waitlist versus YP rejection.

Edit II: I was previously under review 11/24.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:38 am

Hopefullawstudent wrote:Just got the most *hint hint *wink wink waitlist email imaginable. [UW did this to me for UG too (I went elsewhere).]

From the email: "Although being placed on this wait list is no guarantee of admission [wtf?], some applicants from the wait list very likely will be offered admission."

Also, and this part is underlined: "If you have a special interest in attending the Law School, we encourage you to send us a letter or e-mail in which you speak specifically to that interest and the likelihood that you would enroll if admitted (admissions@law.wisc.edu)."

I've already been admitted to a couple of T20s, (although I really do love Madison), so I am probably going to withdraw. But come on, UW, this waitlist amounts to playing games. I don't respect that. I know all schools try to keep their admit numbers low and their matriculation ratio high, but I think there is a classier way to do this. They could call and interview me to inquire about my interest, or they could write a letter asking applicants to speak to their specific interest in the school, but don't overuse the waitlist.

The waitlist is for people who the school wants, but simply doesn't have room for. It's not for "holding" applicants to see how interested they are in attending. If you don't think I'm interested in attending, just ax me. I wouldn't be insulted about a rejection from a great law school like UW. I am a little insulted about being played with however.

Good luck to everyone else. Madison is an amazing city and the law school is very underrated if you ask me.

-HL

Edit: From what I've been told, Wisconsin is gaining a reputation for its preference for the waitlist versus YP rejection.

Thanks for showing us the body of the e-mail. Wisconsin is one of my top choices, and if they sent me this e-mail and wanted an answer right away if I was going to attend or not, I would say yes. I think many law schools are now creating a different category which is between a waitlist and a hold to see who really wants to attend and is not using the school as a safety or an ego-booster. I certainly respect that in that it opens up spots for those who really would attend. But yes, that e-mail translated is basically saying "if you have high numbers and are placed on the waitlist, give us confirmation that you will definitely attend and you will most likely be admitted. If you have low numbers and are placed on the waitlist, tough luck." That is slightly distasteful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:10 am

I'm going to be interested in how my Wisc. cycle turns out. I'm above the LSAT median (and just above the 75th according to their statistics) and just below it for GPA. I think my chances are decent for admission but I wouldn't be surprised at a WL, either.

Thing is, I wrote a "Why Wisc." addendum so we'll see if that affects my app at all seeing as they seem interested in receiving this...

(oh, and i'm not in state)

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:12 am

Slimpee wrote:I'm going to be interested in how my Wisc. cycle turns out. I'm above the LSAT median (and just above the 75th according to their statistics) and just below it for GPA. I think my chances are decent for admission but I wouldn't be surprised at a WL, either.

Thing is, I wrote a "Why Wisc." addendum so we'll see if that affects my app at all seeing as they seem interested in receiving this...

(oh, and i'm not in state)
I think you will probably get in. That is about where my number fell and I got in out of state without a why Wisconsin. I think all the waitlisting last year came from an unexpected rise in interest and fewer people withdrawing than they thought. This year they will be prepared, and will probably take advantage to raise numbers.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:44 am

Hopefullawstudent wrote:Just got the most *hint hint *wink wink waitlist email imaginable. [UW did this to me for UG too (I went elsewhere).]

-HL

Interesting, but not really unexpected. It seems like UW played the waitlist game last year and came out on top, so my guess is they're going to continue it this year. My biggest problem is that instead of offering scholarships to get students with good numbers to come, they do this instead.

Also, and totally irrelevant--to anyone who does attend, watch your ass when you're on the road. Wisconsin drivers think people from IL are horrible at driving. Illinois' drivers believe that Wisconsinites are awful drivers. Well, I have news for both states--they both absolutely suck at driving...it's like people here have never seen snow before.

Hopefullawstudent

Bronze

Post by Hopefullawstudent » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:22 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:

-HL

Interesting, but not really unexpected. It seems like UW played the waitlist game last year and came out on top, so my guess is they're going to continue it this year. My biggest problem is that instead of offering scholarships to get students with good numbers to come, they do this instead.

Also, and totally irrelevant--to anyone who does attend, watch your ass when you're on the road. Wisconsin drivers think people from IL are horrible at driving. Illinois' drivers believe that Wisconsinites are awful drivers. Well, I have news for both states--they both absolutely suck at driving...it's like people here have never seen snow before.
This. I wouldn't be surprised if I submitted a LOCI, was removed from the WL, and then offered some scholarship $. In order for a school to move its numbers up, it HAS to use the scholarship fund rather generously. For someone like me, who may be looking at a T20 with little to no $, and, who is in love with Madison, a scholarship offer and acceptance would have put me in a jam. Now I'm left to wonder whether UW is playing games (which they most certainly are) or whether it is even worth my time to submit the LOCI. Point is, I simply cannot attend UW unless I am offered a nice scholarship. That's for sure. Should I put that in my LOCI? (Kidding).

As for the driving thing: I've lived in cities all over the country, in all kinds of weather patterns. From what I've observed, 1) we AMERICANS suck at driving .period. and 2) in the snow, ALL drivers tend to suck.

-HL

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:06 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:2) in the snow, ALL drivers tend to suck.
A lot of people in Upstate New York are just fine in the snow.
coolkatz321 wrote:Well, I have news for both states--they both absolutely suck at driving...it's like people here have never seen snow before.
Can they be any worse than New Jersey? (joke) ... at least in Jersey, who know what people are doing ... they may be aggressive and not follow any driving rules, but you tend to know what they are doing.

imho, worst drivers: Eastern Washington
Best drivers: Nebraska (not many of them, and they stayed out of my way on the highway)

ATOIsp07

Bronze

Post by ATOIsp07 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:10 pm

jayzon wrote:I posted this in a separate thread, but perhaps this would be more appropriate here: has anyone submitted a Diversity Statement to Wisconsin?
i did, buddy!

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:52 pm

^^^+1

Also does anybody know about job prospects outside of Wisconsin for Wisconsin grads? I really don't want to work in Wisconsin, but Chicago wouldn't be bad.

beebs

Bronze

Post by beebs » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:04 pm

Anyone get scholarship info yet?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:32 am

beebs wrote:Anyone get scholarship info yet?
No but if you're out of state your chances of getting a scholly is slim to none.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:05 pm

robin600 wrote:
No but if you're out of state your chances of getting a scholly is slim to none.
Doesn't the same ring true for in-state, though? I'm looking for a scholly.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:25 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
robin600 wrote:
Yeah I am too, I am at the 75th. I heard that in-state people get more schollys than out of state peeps because tuition is cheaper and they need in state people to attend. Word of mouth and info from other cycles though so take it for what it's worth.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:33 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
robin600 wrote:
Are you black, Native American or Hispanic? You've got a great shot if you're one of those.

UW has a real "screw the rankings" attitude...they're way more interested in giving scholarships to URMs to improve diversity than to improve their numbers. It's why the excellent placement rate doesn't reflect their ranking.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:56 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:
robin600 wrote:
Are you black, Native American or Hispanic? You've got a great shot if you're one of those.

UW has a real "screw the rankings" attitude...they're way more interested in giving scholarships to URMs to improve diversity than to improve their numbers. It's why the excellent placement rate doesn't reflect their ranking.
Can you elaborate on this placement rate? I can't find the info for it very well.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:56 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:UW has a real "screw the rankings" attitude...they're way more interested in giving scholarships to URMs to improve diversity than to improve their numbers. It's why the excellent placement rate doesn't reflect their ranking.
Eh, ... I don't know, they seem to play the WL/YP game to protect their yield. They must be doing that for the rankings.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:58 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:Are you black, Native American or Hispanic? You've got a great shot if you're one of those.

That is not say that they aren't taking a more holistic approach for applicants they know will be below their 25% marks anyway.

Unadilla Kayaker

Bronze

Post by Unadilla Kayaker » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:00 am

superflush wrote:A lot of people in Upstate New York are just fine in the snow.
A little late but +100

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”