Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sconnielaw13

Bronze

Re: Wisconsin 2010 Application Cycle

Post by sconnielaw13 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:53 am

JCougar wrote:
vlienj24 wrote:I can offically say after just reading this entire thread (instead of studying for my midterm) I am completely convinced I am screwed, especially considering UW is trying to raise its numbers?! I really hope that some other things I have read are true... like many schools trying to raise their numbers this cycle only to be disappointed and have to take people off the waitlist. Anyways best of luck to everyone!
With that GPA and the fact that you are in-state, you might still be good. If you get waitlisted, remember to send a LOCI.

Ya I have already sent one, and I will be visiting UW next week for a tour. We will see!

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:14 am

vlienj24 wrote:I can offically say after just reading this entire thread (instead of studying for my midterm) I am completely convinced I am screwed, especially considering UW is trying to raise its numbers?! I really hope that some other things I have read are true... like many schools trying to raise their numbers this cycle only to be disappointed and have to take people off the waitlist. Anyways best of luck to everyone!
I remember when I visited, Mike Hall made it sound like my chances of getting of the waitlist were pretty remote...they were trying to shrink the class, raise the average LSAT, etc. And then, when they first accepted people off the waitlist, I got in...before either of my roommates, who both had higher LSAT scores than I did.

I think it's mostly about conveying interest. If you can make it really seem like you want to go to UW, they'll give you significant consideration when looking at the waitlist. Regardless, keep your head up, and good luck!

Whitters

Bronze

Post by Whitters » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:03 am

Tomorrow marks week 9 of "In Review" for me. Grrr...

msbeautifulbasham

Bronze

Post by msbeautifulbasham » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:39 am

well if anyone goes to the ASD, please let me know how it goes/ take pics if possible. Thanks :)

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:46 am

I love wisconsin. I really do, for a lot of reasons. Everything I've been reading, though, says that Illinois is the better school. Illinois gave me 25k/yearly which brings tuition to ~15k. I have instate tuition at Wisconsin at ~18k yearly. I'm having a ridiculously hard time trying to justify wisconsin over Illinois--and I don't think I can do it. Is there anything that can/should push me back to Wisco?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

msbeautifulbasham

Bronze

Post by msbeautifulbasham » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:50 am

blurbz wrote:I love wisconsin. I really do, for a lot of reasons. Everything I've been reading, though, says that Illinois is the better school. Illinois gave me 25k/yearly which brings tuition to ~15k. I have instate tuition at Wisconsin at ~18k yearly. I'm having a ridiculously hard time trying to justify wisconsin over Illinois--and I don't think I can do it. Is there anything that can/should push me back to Wisco?
It's Urbana-Champaign... That was enough for me to knock off U of I

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:55 am

blurbz wrote:I love wisconsin. I really do, for a lot of reasons. Everything I've been reading, though, says that Illinois is the better school. Illinois gave me 25k/yearly which brings tuition to ~15k. I have instate tuition at Wisconsin at ~18k yearly. I'm having a ridiculously hard time trying to justify wisconsin over Illinois--and I don't think I can do it. Is there anything that can/should push me back to Wisco?
Well, do you want to work in Chicago? If so, UIUC is probably a better choice. The fact it is in Urbana-Champaign really isn't bad - I don't think I have ever met someone who goes here who has a big problem with the town/area (but I guess this is a case of a self selecting bias or something). Wisconsin is an underrated school, for sure, by US News standards, and a lot of people rave about the campus. I don't think either really has much more national pull than the other, so I would really just focus in on what market you are targeting (I am not aware of how well Wisconsin graduates place in Chicago, but I am guessing UIUC does a bit better, could be wrong though!).

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:29 pm

msbeautifulbasham wrote:
It's Urbana-Champaign... That was enough for me to knock off U of I
+100. The school campus is nice, but the city itself sucks - except for a couple restaurants/bars.

msbeautifulbasham

Bronze

Post by msbeautifulbasham » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:15 pm

Slimpee wrote:
bits6884 wrote:
Slimpee wrote:Wl'ed this morning via email. UR since 12/15...

Ditto! Actually surprised it wasn't an outright rejection.
Our numbers are fairly similar...

I love that the email dangled the carrot in front of us by saying there's no guarantee of admission but that some applicants will very likely be admitted and that if we have a special interest in attending Wisc we should let them know (this is underlined)...
Would you mind copying and pasting this email that they sent you? You can cross out your name/identifying info, but I am curious to see how they phrased this. Thank you! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:46 pm

msbeautifulbasham wrote: Would you mind copying and pasting this email that they sent you? You can cross out your name/identifying info, but I am curious to see how they phrased this. Thank you! :)
We are writing to thank you for your application to the University of Wisconsin Law School and to inform you that the Admissions Committee has placed you on our waiting list for admission.

As you know, we receive thousands of applications each year from highly qualified candidates like yourself. Although being placed on this wait list is no guarantee of admission, some applicants from the wait list very likely will be offered admission. The wait list will be re-evaluated during the spring and continue throughout the summer.

If there are updates to your file that you would like us to have, please feel free to send them. If you have a special interest in attending the Law School, we encourage you to send us a letter or e-mail in which you speak specifically to that interest and the likelihood that you would enroll if admitted (admissions@law.wisc.edu).

In closing, we want to thank you for your patience throughout our admissions process. We are sorry that we cannot be more definite at this time. If at any point it becomes clear that we will not be able to offer you admission from the wait list, we will communicate that decision to you immediately.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:48 pm

Wisconsin is similar to Stanford in regards to them loving that you love them.

I actually like the way they handle admissions. They WL borderline people and make them express some lovin'. It gets a bunch of people who weren't going to go there anyways to withdraw.

msbeautifulbasham

Bronze

Post by msbeautifulbasham » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:51 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:Wisconsin is similar to Stanford in regards to them loving that you love them.

I actually like the way they handle admissions. They WL borderline people and make them express some lovin'. It gets a bunch of people who weren't going to go there anyways to withdraw.
Thank you green giant! Oh, I love Wisconsin sooooo much! Just praying for a miracle

msbeautifulbasham

Bronze

Post by msbeautifulbasham » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:53 pm

msbeautifulbasham wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:Wisconsin is similar to Stanford in regards to them loving that you love them.

Thank you green giant! Oh, I love Wisconsin sooooo much! Just praying for a miracle
And thank you slimpee! You guys are awesome!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BigFatPanda

Bronze

Post by BigFatPanda » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:24 am

still in Limbo, since 01/11/2010. sigh, i want my Wisconsin letter! Seriously, if i don't get something soon, i am going to pitch a tent outside of Dean Hall's house and start broadcasting sub-sonic/conscious message as follow: "admit BigFatPanda/My real name" 24/7.

sconnielaw13

Bronze

Post by sconnielaw13 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:48 am

Does anyone know when the first and second deposits are due for UW? I am just curious cause I want to know when people are going to start withdrawing!!!

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:07 am

WL via e-mail this AM. Sending a LOCI soon.

msbeautifulbasham

Bronze

Post by msbeautifulbasham » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:14 pm

vlienj24 wrote:Does anyone know when the first and second deposits are due for UW? I am just curious cause I want to know when people are going to start withdrawing!!!
I thought they didn't have seat deposits

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sconnielaw13

Bronze

Post by sconnielaw13 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:45 pm

msbeautifulbasham wrote:
vlienj24 wrote:Does anyone know when the first and second deposits are due for UW? I am just curious cause I want to know when people are going to start withdrawing!!!
I thought they didn't have seat deposits

That could very easily be the case I was just curious. It seems weird though that they wouldn't have any type of seat deposit. Do you simply have to tell them if you are attending or not attending by a certain time?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:31 pm

Probably already answered, but for those who have been admitted (which was by email for most of you, right?), did you receive any kind of notification in your status checker? I've been In Review since 1/13, so I'm curious if there is another change in status before you are admitted/rejected/waitlisted, or if you just stay In Review until you get the email.

nyskidude

Bronze

Post by nyskidude » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:38 pm

traehekat wrote:Probably already answered, but for those who have been admitted (which was by email for most of you, right?), did you receive any kind of notification in your status checker? I've been In Review since 1/13, so I'm curious if there is another change in status before you are admitted/rejected/waitlisted, or if you just stay In Review until you get the email.
I got the e-mail and the status checker update simultaneously.

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:40 pm

i told them in my loci i would turn down a scholly at W&L to go, hoping that they would take that as a sign i'm committed to UW, but nothing yet :(

anyone know when they start pulling off the wl?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lmurp3

New

Post by lmurp3 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:07 pm

anyone attending ASW? Going to the dinner tonight?

tdubsWI

New

Post by tdubsWI » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:33 pm

lmurp3 wrote:anyone attending ASW? Going to the dinner tonight?
What time is this dinner? I haven't heard back from UW yet, but I live down the street and like free food :lol:

lmurp3

New

Post by lmurp3 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:38 pm

hahah nice. reception/check-in is at 5:30 and dinner starts at 6:30.

jen_said

New

Post by jen_said » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:41 pm

Jerome wrote:WL via e-mail this AM. Sending a LOCI soon.

What were your numbers?? I'm still waiting to hear.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”