U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
itsmytime10

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby itsmytime10 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:36 pm

Jerome wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:
traehekat wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:As an update, I got confirmation from Financial Aid that no new scholarships will be awarded after April 1st which means that those with scholarship money who don't deposit won't have their money reallocated to other nominated applicants.

So... no partial scholarships for anyone?

Isn't this part of the whole what-the-financial-aid-office-says vs. what-Collins-Byrd-says thing? If this is actually true I am surprised and pretty disappointed with Iowa's allocation of merit aid.

That was my interpretation. I asked explicitly whether or not what people were told by Collins Byrd was correct or whether what financial aid told me was correct and she went ahead and said exactly what I told you. Someone could call Admissions to double check. But yes, I totally agree. I am very disappointed with Iowa's allocation of merit money this year. Only full-rides? I mean really.

+10000. I feel like I've only gotten the run-around.

for what is worth, i will be withdrawing today and i have a full ride from them.

publiuspublicola

Postby publiuspublicola » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:55 pm

Just withdrew today. Hopefully one of you will get my $$$!

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:20 pm

publiuspublicola wrote:Just withdrew today. Hopefully one of you will get my $$$!

Your money doesn't even exist (apparently)!

But thanks! lol

sconnielaw13

Postby sconnielaw13 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:57 pm

Sent in my deposit today, I am just waiting on a UW-Madison wait list decison. If that falls through I will for sure be attending Iowa.

MoS

Postby MoS » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:03 pm

Sent the deposit yesterday.

publiuspublicola

Postby publiuspublicola » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:18 pm

traehekat wrote:
publiuspublicola wrote:Just withdrew today. Hopefully one of you will get my $$$!

But thanks! lol

Well, briefly reading above, they aren't allocating partial scholarships. Mine was a full ride, so someone could still get that??

sconnielaw13

Postby sconnielaw13 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:22 pm

I am just curious does Iowa's whole scholarship situation affect their need based aid allocations at all? or are need factors simply factored in to determine who gets scholarships and who doesn't? I never got a chance to talk to anyone about this yet.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:32 pm

publiuspublicola wrote:
traehekat wrote:

But thanks! lol

Well, briefly reading above, they aren't allocating partial scholarships. Mine was a full ride, so someone could still get that??

I guess they assumed people would withdraw, so they handed out more than they have kind of counting on people turning down the offer. However, I SUPPOSE if ENOUGH people turn down the full rides (wink wink), then they might have some money to hand out some additional aid.

dt22

Postby dt22 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:35 pm

how's the housing search going for everyone?

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:13 pm

vlienj24 wrote:I am just curious does Iowa's whole scholarship situation affect their need based aid allocations at all? or are need factors simply factored in to determine who gets scholarships and who doesn't? I never got a chance to talk to anyone about this yet.

According to the fin aid office, need based scholarships and merit based scholarships are both allocated as recruiting scholarships. If you didn't get a scholarship, or aren't awarded one by April 1, you don't get anything.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:17 pm

When is the first seat deposit date?

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:18 pm

JCougar wrote:When is the first seat deposit date?

April 1st. But if you have a good reason they'll extend it until April 15th.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:25 pm

webbylu87 wrote:

So, in other words, they don't know exactly how many people will withdraw until after April 1.

Which basically means that they only estimate that there won't be any scholarship money left afterwards. If more people withdraw than they expect, they might have some scholly money all of a sudden.

Who knows, maybe more people applied to Iowa as a safety this year. Every school out there seems to think this year is going to be their best class ever by far, but there's only a finite amount of students out there with certain LSAT scores and GPAs. Applicants are only up 4% this year, according to Dean Pless of Illinois. Applications are up over 7%, though, so people are simply applying to more schools. This means there will be more withdrawls, as well, unless all of the extra applications were to reach schools where everyone was rejected.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:17 am

webbylu87 wrote:

I just asked for an extension and they granted it. The email was clear that the 15th is a hard deadline and that if i decide not to attend Iowa before then to let them know...

ylee0331

Postby ylee0331 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:56 am

it's official! I just paid the deposit.
Q: do I need to click the accept button on ISIS for the "accept the admssion"? (when's the deadline for this?)

thx!

sconnielaw13

Postby sconnielaw13 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:36 am

ylee0331 wrote:it's official! I just paid the deposit.
Q: do I need to click the accept button on ISIS for the "accept the admssion"? (when's the deadline for this?)

thx!

I was sort of wondering the same thing... I just put down the deposit to reserve the seat but I am not ready to say whether or not I am attending. I hope we don't have to...

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:46 am

Just withdrew with a full tuition scholarship. Hopefully some deserving applicant on this board receives the remains of my leaving.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:53 pm

Padimud wrote:Just withdrew with a full tuition scholarship. Hopefully some deserving applicant on this board receives the remains of my leaving.

Thanks for the update. Where will you be matriculating? I'm having a tough time passing up that LOF and would appreciate your insights.

LiveFree

Postby LiveFree » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:55 pm

Does anyone think it's possible that Iowa actually increases its ranking? It's been dropping for the past couple years...

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:03 pm

LiveFree wrote:Does anyone think it's possible that Iowa actually increases its ranking? It's been dropping for the past couple years...

Well, I definitely think they are trying too boost their LSAT median, given the fact they are handing out a lot of full rides to high LSAT scorers. It has always been a mystery to me why Iowa is so high ranked, given its relatively lower LSAT median for a T30 school. I suspect it has a lot to do with their library, and possibly their legal writing program/clinics (although I admit I have no idea what actually goes into consideration for law school rankings, aside from LSAT/GPA medians).

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:13 pm

traehekat wrote:
LiveFree wrote:Does anyone think it's possible that Iowa actually increases its ranking? It's been dropping for the past couple years...

Well, I definitely think they are trying too boost their LSAT median, given the fact they are handing out a lot of full rides to high LSAT scorers. It has always been a mystery to me why Iowa is so high ranked, given its relatively lower LSAT median for a T30 school. I suspect it has a lot to do with their library, and possibly their legal writing program/clinics (although I admit I have no idea what actually goes into consideration for law school rankings, aside from LSAT/GPA medians).

The USNWR ranking methodology is here: http://www.usnews.com/articles/educatio ... ology.html

It considers, among other criteria, acceptance rate, job prospects, assessment scores by professors, deans, lawyers, and judges, LSATs and GPAs, etc. The GPA and LSATs obviously matter, but so do some of the other factors. As more and more schools game the rankings by throwing lots of money at high-number candidates, Iowa, with a more holistic approach will fall (as it has) but not much, because it is buoyed by its other strengths.

Overall, I think that Iowa's slippage in rankings is largely meaningless, as it hasn't fallen far, and the USNWR rankings are hugely flawed anyway (for more, see Sunstein, Leiter, etc.).

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:31 pm

Jerome wrote:Overall, I think that Iowa's slippage in rankings is largely meaningless, as it hasn't fallen far, and the USNWR rankings are hugely flawed anyway (for more, see Sunstein, Leiter, etc.).

Ultimately, this is my thought as well. If a school drops from 22 to 26 or 28, it doesn't really matter. It's still the same school, it didn't actually get any worse, and it is still going to carry the same reputation among employers.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:56 pm

traehekat wrote:

Dean Byrd indicated that he has been successful raising medians (and boosting rankings) in the past at previous schools. My guess is that he'll do a good job of stabilizing Iowa...

robin600

Postby robin600 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:24 pm

Hey guys,
So about the scholarship thing, don't take too seriously what comes out of the fin aid. lady's mouth (chick who answers phone). She told me I wasn't nominated for a scholarship like 4 months ago, so I called Mr. Byrd to try and wiggle into some scholly money. He was like "What are you talking about, yeah you've been nominated for a scholarship, you should know by March 15th," and I looked like an dumbass thanks to Iowa's fin aid. office. I just think they have communication issues btw admissions and fin aid. I'd trust Mr. Byrd in this situation.

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:25 pm

robin600 wrote:Hey guys,
So about the scholarship thing, don't take too seriously what comes out of the fin aid. lady's mouth (chick who answers phone). She told me I wasn't nominated for a scholarship like 4 months ago, so I called Mr. Byrd to try and wiggle into some scholly money. He was like "What are you talking about, yeah you've been nominated for a scholarship, you should know by March 15th," and I looked like an dumbass thanks to Iowa's fin aid. office. I just think they have communication issues btw admissions and fin aid. I'd trust Mr. Byrd in this situation.

April 15?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”