U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
itsablessing

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby itsablessing » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:54 pm

Undergradut wrote:i still haven't gotten my decision. i'm assuming i was sent a WL/rejection through the mail, but for whatever reason, the letter hasn't arrived yet. i'm at the point where i am thinking of calling or sending an e-mail to ask for my decision.

anybody else still waiting to hear back?

I'm still waiting also.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:56 pm

So, for anyone interested in this sort of thing, here is a list of six of the largest firms in Chicago and the number of Iowa, OSU, Loyola Chicago, and IUB graduates who are either partner, associate or of counsel at their Chicago office. Iowa, OSU, and IUB all have similar graduating class sizes, I believe (~220) while Loyola's is typically around 260.

Mayer Brown
Iowa - 7
OSU - 5
IUB - 5
Loyola - 40

Baker
Iowa - 2
OSU - 0
IUB - 4
Loyola - 19

Sidley
Iowa - 14
OSU - 0
IUB - 1
Loyola - 18

Kirkland
Iowa - 7
OSU - 9
IUB - 10
Loyola - 12

McDermott
Iowa - 8
OSU - 1
IUB - 3
Loyola - 27

Winston
Iowa - 8
OSU - 3
IUB - 12
Loyola - 22

Totals
Iowa - 46
OSU - 18
IUB - 35
Loyola - 138

Couldn't find information for DLA, in case anyone was wondering why they were left out.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:57 pm

traehekat wrote:So, for anyone interested in this sort of thing, here is a list of six of the largest firms in Chicago and the number of Iowa, OSU, Loyola Chicago, and IUB graduates who are either partner, associate or of counsel at their Chicago office. Iowa, OSU, and IUB all have similar graduating class sizes, I believe (~220) while Loyola's is typically around 260.

Mayer Brown
Iowa - 7
OSU - 5
IUB - 5
Loyola - 40

Baker
Iowa - 2
OSU - 0
IUB - 4
Loyola - 19

Sidley
Iowa - 14
OSU - 0
IUB - 1
Loyola - 18

Kirkland
Iowa - 7
OSU - 9
IUB - 10
Loyola - 12

McDermott
Iowa - 8
OSU - 1
IUB - 3
Loyola - 27

Winston
Iowa - 8
OSU - 3
IUB - 12
Loyola - 22

Totals
Iowa - 46
OSU - 18
IUB - 35
Loyola - 138

Couldn't find information for DLA, in case anyone was wondering why they were left out.

that's great. do you happen to have any info for illinois there too?

itsmytime10

Postby itsmytime10 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:02 pm

Did you find anything for Illinois?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:04 pm

webbylu87 - I only did those four schools because those are the ones I am considering for Chicago, but all you have to do is go to the firm's website and click on the "Our People" or "Lawyers" tab and it should bring a way to search by school (it is pretty easy). I imagine Illinois has numbers similar to Loyola, probably a little better.

For fun I just searched Sidley's website for UIUC graduates, 42 results. So yeah, right around Loyola's numbers, at least for Sidley.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:05 pm

traehekat wrote:webbylu87 - I only did those four schools because those are the ones I am considering for Chicago, but all you have to do is go to the firm's website and click on the "Our People" or "Lawyers" tab and it should bring a way to search by school (it is pretty easy). I imagine Illinois has numbers similar to Loyola, probably a little better.

For fun I just searched Sidley's website for UIUC graduates, 42 results. So yeah, right around Loyola's numbers, at least for Sidley.

thanks, will do.

itsmytime10

Postby itsmytime10 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:30 pm

traehekat wrote:webbylu87 - I only did those four schools because those are the ones I am considering for Chicago, but all you have to do is go to the firm's website and click on the "Our People" or "Lawyers" tab and it should bring a way to search by school (it is pretty easy). I imagine Illinois has numbers similar to Loyola, probably a little better.

Actually some of the Iowa lawyers that pull up did not go to Iowa for a JD. They show up because they were there for undergrad, so the Iowa nos at Sidley is actually less.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:38 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:

Actually some of the Iowa lawyers that pull up did not go to Iowa for a JD. They show up because they were there for undergrad, so the Iowa nos at Sidley is actually less.

Make sure you search "University of Iowa College of Law," and not "University of Iowa," because you have the option to search either. If you do that then from what I can tell all 14 people who come up obtained their JD from Iowa.

itsmytime10

Postby itsmytime10 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:41 pm

traehekat wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:

Make sure you search "University of Iowa College of Law," and not "University of Iowa," because you have the option to search either. If you do that then from what I can tell all 14 people who come up obtained their JD from Iowa.

Aa my mistake..you are right. thnx

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:53 pm

I dig this exercise. I checked Jenner and Block and came up with 8 Iowa JDs. That is just for the Chicago JB office, too.

Undergradut

Postby Undergradut » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:58 pm

Last edited by Undergradut on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elizaD

Postby elizaD » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:20 pm

Paid my deposit today! Is there a fb group for Iowa Class of 2013 yet?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:25 pm

elizaD wrote:Paid my deposit today! Is there a fb group for Iowa Class of 2013 yet?

Congrats!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=338211879350&ref=ts

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:29 pm

Just paid my deposit, too.

Spoke with Fin Aid office yesterday, too - they are making decisions last night and today, then the file goes back to the law school for another round of scholarship considerations, then we get notified. Crossing my fingers for one of those mysterious partials.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:34 pm

Jerome wrote:Just paid my deposit, too.

Spoke with Fin Aid office yesterday, too - they are making decisions last night and today, then the file goes back to the law school for another round of scholarship considerations, then we get notified. Crossing my fingers for one of those mysterious partials.

Niiiice, congrats man. I actually JUST emailed them about scholarships 10 minutes ago. Hope I don't seem like a pest now haha, like "YO, WE ARE LOOKING AT YOUR FILE AS WE SPEAK, CHILL WILL YA?!"

While I am leaning towards Iowa already, a partial scholarship of like, $21,000 over three years would seal it for me.

... Gee, I hope I haven't outed myself somewhere on here. It would be a bummer if someone at Iowa saw this and was like, "Well, we WERE going to offer you $35,000, buuuut..."

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:43 pm

traehekat wrote:
Jerome wrote:Just paid my deposit, too.

Niiiice, congrats man. I actually JUST emailed them about scholarships 10 minutes ago. Hope I don't seem like a pest now haha, like "YO, WE ARE LOOKING AT YOUR FILE AS WE SPEAK, CHILL WILL YA?!"

While I am leaning towards Iowa already, a partial scholarship of like, $21,000 over three years would seal it for me.

... Gee, I hope I haven't outed myself somewhere on here. It would be a bummer if someone at Iowa saw this and was like, "Well, we WERE going to offer you $35,000, buuuut..."

Man, that would suck. But I hear you. If I got a partial of even 5k a year (or 15k, *nudge nudge*) I would go to Iowa in a minute (barring offers from UNC, IUB, or Wisc that were competitive).

When I called I was transferred three times, and the first two people I spoke with said something like, "Oh, hi _____, right, your file for aid, ummm, hold on..." Almost crapped my pants thinking they thought I committed tax fraud and would not qualify for aid. Thankfully, just found out that we'd get notification of financial aid awards soon, and that students nominated for scholarships would be considered shortly as well.

I'm also sure that my call was one of 5,000,000 and your e-mail was one of 5,000,000. They have to hate us scamps.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:58 pm

I asked a few weeks ago if i was nominated for a scholly and was told no. This is obviously disappointing especially considering last year people w/ similar numbers were offered $30k. If they gave me that this year i'd almost definitely attend.

Money must be tight this year or their numbers are waaaay up!

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:15 pm

Slimpee wrote:I asked a few weeks ago if i was nominated for a scholly and was told no. This is obviously disappointing especially considering last year people w/ similar numbers were offered $30k. If they gave me that this year i'd almost definitely attend.

I bet both.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:33 pm

Slimpee wrote:I asked a few weeks ago if i was nominated for a scholly and was told no. This is obviously disappointing especially considering last year people w/ similar numbers were offered $30k. If they gave me that this year i'd almost definitely attend.

Just got an email back, looks like I wasn't nominated for a scholarship. I share pretty much the same thoughts as you. Even this year, I wonder what numbers those who receive partial scholarships will have. There are students with full rides who have numbers like 165/3.8, 164/3.7, etc. It saddens me that someone with a 164/3.59, or a 164/3.51, won't receive anything (although I realize there is more to it than numbers, but it can't be THAT much more).

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:39 pm

traehekat wrote:

Just got an email back, looks like I wasn't nominated for a scholarship. I share pretty much the same thoughts as you. Even this year, I wonder what numbers those who receive partial scholarships will have. There are students with full rides who have numbers like 165/3.8, 164/3.7, etc. It saddens me that someone with a 164/3.59, or a 164/3.51, won't receive anything (although I realize there is more to it than numbers, but it can't be THAT much more).

Got a similar email back from Financial Aid. I asked some other questions regarding financial aid which weren't even acknowledged in the response. It's like they didn't even read my email. Iowa is in-state for me but their uncooperativeness is really rubbing me the wrong way and making me want to look elsewhere.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:20 pm

As an update, I got confirmation from Financial Aid that no new scholarships will be awarded after April 1st which means that those with scholarship money who don't deposit won't have their money reallocated to other nominated applicants.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:23 pm

webbylu87 wrote:As an update, I got confirmation from Financial Aid that no new scholarships will be awarded after April 1st which means that those with scholarship money who don't deposit won't have their money reallocated to other nominated applicants.

So... no partial scholarships for anyone?

Isn't this part of the whole what-the-financial-aid-office-says vs. what-Collins-Byrd-says thing? If this is actually true I am surprised and pretty disappointed with Iowa's allocation of merit aid.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:26 pm

traehekat wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:As an update, I got confirmation from Financial Aid that no new scholarships will be awarded after April 1st which means that those with scholarship money who don't deposit won't have their money reallocated to other nominated applicants.

Isn't this part of the whole what-the-financial-aid-office-says vs. what-Collins-Byrd-says thing? If this is actually true I am surprised and pretty disappointed with Iowa's allocation of merit aid.

That was my interpretation. I asked explicitly whether or not what people were told by Collins Byrd was correct or whether what financial aid told me was correct and she said: "...we account for a certain amount of attrition already in the awards that we make so I do not expect to make additional offers after April 1"

Someone could call Admissions to double check. But yes, I totally agree. I am very disappointed with Iowa's allocation of merit money this year. Only full-rides? I mean really.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:36 pm

If numbers were way up, why would they extend their application deadline? I'd love to go to Iowa, but without a partial scholarship it isn't going to happen.

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:05 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
traehekat wrote:

That was my interpretation. I asked explicitly whether or not what people were told by Collins Byrd was correct or whether what financial aid told me was correct and she went ahead and said exactly what I told you. Someone could call Admissions to double check. But yes, I totally agree. I am very disappointed with Iowa's allocation of merit money this year. Only full-rides? I mean really.

+10000. I feel like I've only gotten the run-around.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”