U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jaskat

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby jaskat » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:01 pm

Jerome wrote:
jaskat wrote:I also thought the people were really nice, and the atmosphere was relaxed.

Also FWIW, I'm flying back home to NY which requires a stop over at O'Hare. My connecting flight out of O'Hare was delayed an hour which meant that I wouldn't be able to make the connection flight that would take me home to NYC. When I went to the United counter and explained my story, the lady immediately smiled at me and said, "Don't worry, we take care of our Hawkeyes." (I had my Iowa law hoodie on) She proceeded to tell me how her daughter had graduated from there and was in one of the best law firms in Chicago, (while she totally upgraded my ticket and gave me a direct flight to NYC). All I'm saying is that I didn't realize how well known and liked/respected Iowa is, (not saying that this incident automatically makes it better than Harvard or anything, but the point still stands). The respect and good treatment that I got all weekend from the people in IC, and the recognition, (even on a small scale), in Chicago along with the stats given to us in ASW and how friendly and approachable everyone was made me realize that I'll be very, very happy coming out of this school. Again, this is just my two cents.

I feel the same, despite the fact that I wasn't treated as well by Alamo car rental (those shits).

Note to self: wear Hawkeye gear, get free stuff.

Yes, I do think that is the lesson of the day.

As you mentioned in your previous post, the ability to talk to the professors so candidly and without tons of intimidation made me like the school that much more. I got to meet a professor from Brooklyn who reassured me that the transition from big city to small rural town wasn't a terribly hard adjustment to make..... and then we started reciting Chaucer in middle english because he found out that I had just finished studying him last semester. That made my day, (yeah I'm a dork! So sue me. :P)

MoS

Postby MoS » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:36 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:So why did Iowa go nuts with full scholarships at the expense of their entire partial scholly budget? Is it just me, or does this seem like very poor planning?

Its just the way it works with rankings. I think they know they can get more students with high LSATs if they offer full scholarships, than if they gave partial scholarships to more people with high LSAT scores.

Also, I think they justify it with their low instate tuition, which they can easily provide to out of state students if they accept an RA position. Which is as good as a partial scholarship. $40,000 over the two years you can RA.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:08 pm

MoS wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote:So why did Iowa go nuts with full scholarships at the expense of their entire partial scholly budget? Is it just me, or does this seem like very poor planning?

Its just the way it works with rankings. I think they know they can get more students with high LSATs if they offer full scholarships, than if they gave partial scholarships to more people with high LSAT scores.

Also, I think they justify it with their low instate tuition, which they can easily provide to out of state students if they accept an RA position. Which is as good as a partial scholarship. $40,000 over the two years you can RA.

I call bullshit (nothing against you MoS you're great!) but if Iowa uses a "holistic" admissions approach they claim to use, then their scholarship givings are very counter-intuitive.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:23 pm

robin600 wrote:
MoS wrote:I call bullshit (nothing against you MoS you're great!) but if Iowa uses a "holistic" admissions approach they claim to use, then their scholarship givings are very counter-intuitive.

Eh, they're trying to buy higher LSATs just like other schools but they just don't have the money to give the partials as well...

Overall, I liked the atmosphere. I thought it was relaxed and collegial but also intellectually rigorous. I could definitely see myself being happy and successful there. That said, i'm not sold on Iowa City (although The Union on Fri. night was definitely hopping and the post-bar meatball sub from the cart outside was the shiznet...). I'll try to get in a few more visits and hopefully Iowa will extend the deposit deadline for me. I'll probably sit on MN's WL but there's not a horrible chance I see a few of you in Iowa City next year!

sconnielaw13

Postby sconnielaw13 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:27 pm

Reading all of these posts about the ASD really makes me feel better about Iowa. I am accepted but I did not get chance to make it ASD.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:04 pm

Slimpee wrote:
robin600 wrote:
MoS wrote:I call bullshit (nothing against you MoS you're great!) but if Iowa uses a "holistic" admissions approach they claim to use, then their scholarship givings are very counter-intuitive.

Eh, they're trying to buy higher LSATs just like other schools but they just don't have the money to give the partials as well...

Overall, I liked the atmosphere. I thought it was relaxed and collegial but also intellectually rigorous. I could definitely see myself being happy and successful there. That said, i'm not sold on Iowa City (although The Union on Fri. night was definitely hopping and the post-bar meatball sub from the cart outside was the shiznet...). I'll try to get in a few more visits and hopefully Iowa will extend the deposit deadline for me. I'll probably sit on MN's WL but there's not a horrible chance I see a few of you in Iowa City next year!

I emailed them requesting a deposit deadline extension and they were happy to grant one, so I'm sure you shouldn't face any issues with that.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:07 am

Where is everyone looking for housing? I've heard places like Seville thrown out there - are there any other options near the law school?

thepcv

Postby thepcv » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:01 am

traehekat wrote:Where is everyone looking for housing? I've heard places like Seville thrown out there - are there any other options near the law school?

+1

Housing and roommates. I know I'm going to put my name on the Iowa housing/roommate list--so at least there's that.

I considered the graduate housing because of the price--I just don't like how far away from the law school it is. I'd really like something walkable, if I can get it.

dt22

Postby dt22 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:16 am

the students mentioned a bunch of names, all of which i forgot, except seville....it sounds like there's a whole cluster of housing 7-10 mins west, though. should be no problem. most law students live there from what it sounded like.

MoS

Postby MoS » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:34 pm

I am really thinking about using their list. Having any random roommate might bother me, but for some reason I feel better about having a law school roommate.

Fsubuckeye

Postby Fsubuckeye » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:42 pm

I'll also be looking for a roommate, so hit me up for more info! I added my name to that email that was sent out so hopefully things will work out. I had a chance to look at some pretty affordable housing by the law school during visits and will be checking out the listed websites.

elizaD

Postby elizaD » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:07 pm

I was one of the early applicants at Iowa and was accepted in Jan. I have also been accepted to IUB. I don't expect very much financial aid from either and I'm have an extremely difficult time making a decision. I really enjoyed both schools when I visited. Thoughts?

robin600

Postby robin600 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:07 am

elizaD wrote:I was one of the early applicants at Iowa and was accepted in Jan. I have also been accepted to IUB. I don't expect very much financial aid from either and I'm have an extremely difficult time making a decision. I really enjoyed both schools when I visited. Thoughts?

Where do you want to practice and what do you want to do? Which option is cheaper?

firebreathingliberal

Postby firebreathingliberal » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:10 am

Anyone get accepted off the wait list yet?

robin600

Postby robin600 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:15 am

firebreathingliberal wrote:Anyone get accepted off the wait list yet?

I don't think they will start accepting people until after the seat deposit deadline of april 1st. I'm guessing mid-april.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:20 am

elizaD wrote:I was one of the early applicants at Iowa and was accepted in Jan. I have also been accepted to IUB. I don't expect very much financial aid from either and I'm have an extremely difficult time making a decision. I really enjoyed both schools when I visited. Thoughts?

If you aren't getting much financial aid from either and you aren't a resident of Indiana, I think the choice is pretty obvious. At IUB you are going to be paying nonresident tuition for three years, whereas at Iowa you will have the opportunity to gain resident tuition after your first year. Iowa also places better in NLJ 250 firms, is more portable, and has always been a high ranked school (whereas IUB has pretty much always been considered a school ranked in the 35-40 range). Even if you ARE a resident of Indiana, the extra $15,000 may be worth a degree from Iowa.

MoS

Postby MoS » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:26 am

traehekat wrote:

If you aren't getting much financial aid from either and you aren't a resident of Indiana, I think the choice is pretty obvious. At IUB you are going to be paying nonresident tuition for three years, whereas at Iowa you will have the opportunity to gain resident tuition after your first year. Iowa also places better in NLJ 250 firms, is more portable, and has always been a high ranked school (whereas IUB has pretty much always been considered a school ranked in the 35-40 range). Even if you ARE a resident of Indiana, the extra $15,000 may be worth a degree from Iowa.

+1

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:30 am

traehekat wrote:

x2. This is exactly why I will most likely withdraw from IUB soon...

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:30 am

MoS wrote:
traehekat wrote:

+1

Ditto. I think it is important to pay attention to the trends in rankings as well as where schools have placed in the past. USNWR is an imperfect measure for quality, and acts as sort of an echo chamber. Even if a school bumps up in recent years that may not register with potential employers for some time, where schools that have always been ranked well slip, that probably wont register immediately, if it all, unless the slip is precipitous.

Fsubuckeye

Postby Fsubuckeye » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:38 am

I had the opportunity to speak with some professors at the lunch, and they were genuinely friendly. That was not something that I felt Loyola did a good job of providing. I sent e-mails to CU asking to speak with some professors, and have not heard back.

+1. I spoke with a bald professor (name escapes me) and it was a very good conversation at my table.

Fsubuckeye

Postby Fsubuckeye » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:42 am

Housing and roommates. I know I'm going to put my name on the Iowa housing/roommate list--so at least there's that.

I considered the graduate housing because of the price--I just don't like how far away from the law school it is. I'd really like something walkable, if I can get it.

Same here

Fsubuckeye

Postby Fsubuckeye » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:48 am

I'm not a scholly recipient, but Dean Byrd said that schollys would be reallocated after a few people withdrawal. Any ideas on how the reallocated funds will be distributed?

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:50 am

Fsubuckeye wrote:I'm not a scholly recipient, but Dean Byrd said that schollys would be reallocated after a few people withdrawal. Any ideas on how the reallocated funds will be distributed?

we were just discussing this in the ASD thread. the rep from financial aid said the opposite. she said they count on a certain number of people turning down scholarships and allocate accordingly. not sure who is right in this situation.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:58 am

webbylu87 wrote:
Fsubuckeye wrote:I'm not a scholly recipient, but Dean Byrd said that schollys would be reallocated after a few people withdrawal. Any ideas on how the reallocated funds will be distributed?

we were just discussing this in the ASD thread. the rep from financial aid said the opposite. she said they count on a certain number of people turning down scholarships and allocate accordingly. not sure who is right in this situation.

I feel like counting on students to turn down scholarships and then allocating accordingly would be difficult to do ITE - I'm sure many more students in the last couple years are turning down T14 for large scholarships at T30, and I could only imagine the nightmare that would ensue if a school was handing out money it didn't have and ended up having more scholarship recipients matriculate than predicted. I know schools have sophisticated methods of going through all of this, similar to how they admit students, but I think the economic situation adds sort of a monkey wrench to the whole formula.

Undergradut

Postby Undergradut » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:41 pm

i still haven't gotten my decision. i'm assuming i was sent a WL/rejection through the mail, but for whatever reason, the letter hasn't arrived yet. i'm at the point where i am thinking of calling or sending an e-mail to ask for my decision.

anybody else still waiting to hear back?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”