U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jaskat

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby jaskat » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:54 pm

That just means you're still in review by the admission committee. This is normal. It only changes when they make a decision on you.

Undergradut

Postby Undergradut » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:57 am

I hope Admissions makes a strong push over the next week to get decisions out. It sort of sucks to get a decision AFTER admitted student's weekend.

nyskidude

Postby nyskidude » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:39 am

I visited Iowa over my spring break last week. Absolutely loved it. Dean Collins Byrd was amazing and very honest. Would be glad to share my experience (he also talked a lot about this application cycle with me) if people are interested. Sending in my deposit this week.

hawki319

Postby hawki319 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:35 am

Yes please - please share any info Dean Byrd gave on this application cycle! Thanks!

thepcv

Postby thepcv » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:47 am

hawki319 wrote:Yes please - please share any info Dean Byrd gave on this application cycle! Thanks!

+1

Definitely share! I'd love to know how your experience visiting Iowa went!

nyskidude

Postby nyskidude » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:47 am

hawki319 wrote:Yes please - please share any info Dean Byrd gave on this application cycle! Thanks!

Well, one of the things he told me (this is where the honesty part came in) was that I was very smart to apply early. I was the first person on TLS to post an acceptance (back in November, I believe). Applications are up 27% (no lie) from last year, and the quality of applicants aren't dropping at all. Therefore, he was telling me that he has people with 166/167s and 3.8s/3.9s that applied late January, early February that have to be waitlisted because they were already reaching their quota (200 +/- 5 is what he told me). They also got themselves in scholarship trouble this year. They had a set of standards for how to give out scholarships. Because many people reached the full ride standard, they gave out those full rides early. However, people (like myself) who normally would have received scholarships are now left without (for now) because of the amount of full rides given out before. He did mention, however (to those accepted without scholarships and to those waitlisted), that he does not expect all of the full-ride people to matriculate, and once the amount of money given out is reduced a little, they will send out scholarships to more people (which sucks for those who need money to make the initial decision, but you could get a scholarship after you send in your deposits in April).

I'm sorry if this scared people, but it's coming right from the man. All in all, this has been a crazy cycle for Iowa. If I had waited another month or two to apply, I probably would've been rejected outright. Proof that applying early is always better, I guess.

Also (just building Iowa up a little), Dean Byrd was the ONLY person in general, let alone a Dean, to actually know my history before our meeting. I visited during Iowa's spring break, so he took me for a tour after our meeting, but he mentioned my GPA, my LSAT score, my undergrad institution, and my major off the top of his head. Looked very good.

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:19 pm

nyskidude wrote:

Well, one of the things he told me (this is where the honesty part came in) was that I was very smart to apply early. I was the first person on TLS to post an acceptance (back in November, I believe). Applications are up 27% (no lie) from last year, and the quality of applicants aren't dropping at all. Therefore, he was telling me that he has people with 166/167s and 3.8s/3.9s that applied late January, early February that have to be waitlisted because they were already reaching their quota (200 +/- 5 is what he told me). They also got themselves in scholarship trouble this year. They had a set of standards for how to give out scholarships. Because many people reached the full ride standard, they gave out those full rides early. However, people (like myself) who normally would have received scholarships are now left without (for now) because of the amount of full rides given out before. He did mention, however (to those accepted without scholarships and to those waitlisted), that he does not expect all of the full-ride people to matriculate, and once the amount of money given out is reduced a little, they will send out scholarships to more people (which sucks for those who need money to make the initial decision, but you could get a scholarship after you send in your deposits in April).

I'm sorry if this scared people, but it's coming right from the man. All in all, this has been a crazy cycle for Iowa. If I had waited another month or two to apply, I probably would've been rejected outright. Proof that applying early is always better, I guess.

Also (just building Iowa up a little), Dean Byrd was the ONLY person in general, let alone a Dean, to actually know my history before our meeting. I visited during Iowa's spring break, so he took me for a tour after our meeting, but he mentioned my GPA, my LSAT score, my undergrad institution, and my major off the top of his head. Looked very good.

It seems like the Dean would give me the warm fuzzies. I'm liking Iowa more and more! Thank you for sharing nyskidude. Did he say anything about the employment rates or anything like that?

nyskidude

Postby nyskidude » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:42 pm

jaskat wrote:It seems like the Dean would give me the warm fuzzies. I'm liking Iowa more and more! Thank you for sharing nyskidude. Did he say anything about the employment rates or anything like that?

He actually did. I probably will want to find a job on the East Coast after law school, and that's what scared my about Iowa. The stats he spewed off to me were surprising, and in a very good way (for me, anyways). He understood that many people will not want to stay in Iowa, so they have created a career services department that will help people get a job in many different places. Only 30% of graduating students get a job in Iowa. 65% get a job within 500 miles of campus (including Chicago, Madison, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, all the way down to Dallas). Of the 35% left, about 20% will go to the east coast (namely between Boston and Virginia). 10% will go to California/Oregon/Washington, and the other 5% will typically go to Arizona, Texas, Florida, and Atlanta. This year, 99% of the graduates will have employment offers BEFORE graduation. Pretty awesome.

itsmytime10

Postby itsmytime10 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:54 pm

nyskidude wrote:
jaskat wrote:It seems like the Dean would give me the warm fuzzies. I'm liking Iowa more and more! Thank you for sharing nyskidude. Did he say anything about the employment rates or anything like that?

He actually did. I probably will want to find a job on the East Coast after law school, and that's what scared my about Iowa. The stats he spewed off to me were surprising, and in a very good way (for me, anyways). He understood that many people will not want to stay in Iowa, so they have created a career services department that will help people get a job in many different places. Only 30% of graduating students get a job in Iowa. 65% get a job within 500 miles of campus (including Chicago, Madison, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, all the way down to Dallas). Of the 35% left, about 20% will go to the east coast (namely between Boston and Virginia). 10% will go to California/Oregon/Washington, and the other 5% will typically go to Arizona, Texas, Florida, and Atlanta. This year, 99% of the graduates will have employment offers BEFORE graduation. Pretty awesome.

Those are some impressive numbers. Do they still have a strong showing at their OCIs? Did you like the campus? thnx

nyskidude

Postby nyskidude » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:59 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:Those are some impressive numbers. Do they still have a strong showing at their OCIs? Did you like the campus? thnx

I'm sorry, what are OCIs? And I loved the campus. Dean Byrd said that the students nicknamed the law building the Death Star, which was kinda funny because it actually was really large. One other neat thing: At the beginning of your second year, you are assigned a cubicle in the library. That cubicle will be solely yours for your entire second and third year. In that cubicle is a desk, A/C plugs for your laptop and such, drawers, and a lock cabinet. This way, you will ALWAYS have a place to study, regardless of how many undergrads or first years take over the library, because that desk is yours and yours alone.

keemos

Postby keemos » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:00 pm

robin600 wrote:
keemos wrote:waitlisted today 163 3.43 withdrew

Sorry keemos, where are you headed instead?

Wake or Pitt?

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:08 pm

nyskidude wrote:

I like Iowa a lot, so no trolling here. However:

1) Dallas is more than 500 miles from IC

2) That is 99% of people that filled out employment surveys. Considerably less than 99% of Iowa's 2010 class will have a job at graduation.

nyskidude

Postby nyskidude » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:21 pm

hawkeye22 wrote:
nyskidude wrote:

2) That is 99% of people that filled out employment surveys. Considerably less than 99% of Iowa's 2010 class will have a job at graduation.

Thank you for the corrections. I was just saying what I thought he said. Maybe he said that Dallas was one of the big cities that they place people in when they place people in Texas. Not sure. My bad.

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:33 pm

hawkeye22 wrote:
nyskidude wrote:

For what it's worth, I've heard that around 90-93% of the graduating students report back. I'll try to find the source and post it, but this just means the statistics for this school are pretty damn good.

itsmytime10

Postby itsmytime10 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:50 pm

nyskidude wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:Those are some impressive numbers. Do they still have a strong showing at their OCIs? Did you like the campus? thnx

I'm sorry, what are OCIs? And I loved the campus. Dean Byrd said that the students nicknamed the law building the Death Star, which was kinda funny because it actually was really large. One other neat thing: At the beginning of your second year, you are assigned a cubicle in the library. That cubicle will be solely yours for your entire second and third year. In that cubicle is a desk, A/C plugs for your laptop and such, drawers, and a lock cabinet. This way, you will ALWAYS have a place to study, regardless of how many undergrads or first years take over the library, because that desk is yours and yours alone.

Thanks for the response. OCI = On Campus Interviews

itsmytime10

Postby itsmytime10 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:10 pm

Did Iowa increase their out of state tuition to 42K?

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:21 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:Did Iowa increase their out of state tuition to 42K?

Nope. 43k. Factor in books and COL, and it looks more like 55k+. Ouch.

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:41 pm

Jerome wrote:

Don't mention it! If I don't see the numbers written, they don't exist!

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:43 pm

jaskat wrote:
Jerome wrote:

Don't mention it! If I don't see the numbers written, they don't exist!

Heh. I so wish that were true. 165k in debt scares the crap out of me. So Iowa, how 'bout some $?

emorystud2010

Postby emorystud2010 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:49 pm

Just
Last edited by emorystud2010 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:22 pm

I got waitlisted also. I'm not going to stay on the waitlist though. The midwest isn't my first place to live and the price at Iowa is a little large for my liking. Hopefully my withdrawl from the waitlist helps someone out.

adonai

Postby adonai » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:27 pm

I see that applicants are being OFFICIALLY waitlisted now, signifying a full class. So, I'm guessing those on second review will either be waitlisted or dinged outright. That is really unfair. I guess being on hold at Iowa is considered being a third-class applicant, below those accepted and waitlisted. I wish this school would stop being so indecisive and hoarding their applicants.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:39 pm

adonai wrote:I see that applicants are being OFFICIALLY waitlisted now, signifying a full class. So, I'm guessing those on second review will either be waitlisted or dinged outright. That is really unfair. I guess being on hold at Iowa is considered being a third-class applicant, below those accepted and waitlisted. I wish this school would stop being so indecisive and hoarding their applicants.

Guess that makes those that were waitlisted second-class?

adonai

Postby adonai » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:49 pm

darknightbegins wrote:
adonai wrote:I see that applicants are being OFFICIALLY waitlisted now, signifying a full class. So, I'm guessing those on second review will either be waitlisted or dinged outright. That is really unfair. I guess being on hold at Iowa is considered being a third-class applicant, below those accepted and waitlisted. I wish this school would stop being so indecisive and hoarding their applicants.

You are correct. :mrgreen:

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:51 pm

adonai wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:

You are correct. :mrgreen:

Glad that was cleared up.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”