U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
itsmytime10

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby itsmytime10 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:34 pm

traehekat wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:I am hoping to get into biglaw in Chicago. Iowa's offer means i will graduate with less than 10k in debt. Illinois however seems to be superior in placing grads in the Chicago firms.....

Did you receive any scholarship for UIUC? The difference in BigLaw placement isn't too much, and certainly not enough to make up for a difference in 50-60k in debt. Go to Iowa!

Yes 50% at UIUC.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:08 pm

Because of IUB full ride, withdrew from Iowa today. I have to admit, as satisfying as being accepted is, withdrawing provides a great relief as well. The feeling that one is narrowing down one's options feels quite great. Iowa is a great school, though. Good luck to all those still waiting for a decision or on the waitlist.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:29 pm

I don't know if anyone knows, but I was wondering if someone could share who they know to be considered top notch, "must-take-his/her-class-before-you-graduate" professors at Iowa.

ylee0331

Postby ylee0331 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:24 pm

So I just R.S.V.P'd for the ASD!! kind of pumped right now.
I just wish I would know the results from my outstanding applications so that I would be really pumped then.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:12 pm

WARNING: Possible n00b question incoming...

For those who received the Iowa Verification Form for Self-Supporting Students in the mail, under #11, "Other Assisatnce You Expect to Receive,' should I list Stafford and GRAD Plus loans here? What if I am not sure how much I will be borrowing yet? What if I am not sure WHERE I will be borrowing from?

Thanksssss.

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:35 am

I didn't. I assumed they were talking about everything before their financial aid.

thepcv

Postby thepcv » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:47 am

traehekat wrote:WARNING: Possible n00b question incoming...

For those who received the Iowa Verification Form for Self-Supporting Students in the mail, under #11, "Other Assisatnce You Expect to Receive,' should I list Stafford and GRAD Plus loans here? What if I am not sure how much I will be borrowing yet? What if I am not sure WHERE I will be borrowing from?

Thanksssss.

Well, it does say to list all scholarships, grants, loans, etc. that you expect to receive from your UofI academic department. But I don't think that would include Stafford/GRAD Plus loans--though, if you've received an award letter that has loans listed on it, I feel that's a different scenario all together. For verification, I just emailed financial aid asking if (or at least how) I should list the Stafford loans that showed up on my LOF award

For you, however, if you've not received any sort of financial aid letter, I would imagine that you wouldn't put anything there--as the department hasn't committed any estimated funds to you.

thepcv

Postby thepcv » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:08 pm

Heard back from financial aid (already!). They said not to put anything at #11, that it's only for non-university of Iowa scholarships (even though it says "...that you expect to receive from your University of Iowa department..." but hey, I'm going with what the fin.aid office tells me).

taw856

Postby taw856 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:22 pm

Another n00b question...

Received an e-mail with tuition/fees listing, financial aid checklist and loan info today. No mention of scholarships. Does that in fact mean no scholarship?

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:31 pm

taw856 wrote:Another n00b question...

Received an e-mail with tuition/fees listing, financial aid checklist and loan info today. No mention of scholarships. Does that in fact mean no scholarship?

My understanding is that if you don't get scholarship info by the 15th of this month then you're not getting a scholarship. So no, that does not necessarily mean that you didn't get a scholarship.

taw856

Postby taw856 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:39 pm

Hmm... kthx.

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:56 pm

Iowa seems kind of lost/unorganized/slow/unclear compared to other schools I'm considering. Anyone else feel the same way?

ILoveClowns8

Postby ILoveClowns8 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:01 am

I haven't gotten that impression, but it could just be me.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:26 am

bhblack wrote:I haven't gotten that impression, but it could just be me.

+1

I think your experience, sebastian0622, may be an aberration.

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:27 am

traehekat wrote:

+1

Probably, which is why I asked instead of ranted. Of course, I'll rant now. :)

I applied to four schools in late January, with Iowa's app being the first one submitted. I heard back from one of the others (Wash U) within a week. I heard back from another (Emory) within two weeks. I had scholarship info from both of those schools within three weeks from the date of the application. Meanwhile, I didn't hear back from Iowa until three weeks after Emory, and I still haven't received information about scholarships. Now I am hearing that they have allocated all of their scholarship money, but I'm currently hearing from other schools that planned well enough to still be dishing out the offers.

In addition to that, Iowa's fee waiver was the only one I received that came with such an early expiration date, which was particularly annoying since I received it later in the cycle than almost all of my other fee waivers (Notre Dame's was the only one after it, I think).

I don't feel insulted or entitled or anything, it's just the pattern has been that Iowa isn't really keeping up with the competition, which leads me to question if this has been a cause for it dropping in the rankings as of late. Attracting students is a ruthless, strenuous commitment for admissions offices, and Iowa hasn't seemed up to the task (in my experience!). It'd be easy to blame this on me for the late application, but the point is that Iowa's peers are handling that just fine. Besides, I applied two months before Iowa's deadline, so we can't act like it was last-minute. If Iowa insists on rolling admissions, I think they should allocate resources better. Sure, you could say it's my problem, but if Iowa is missing out on good students, then it's Iowa's problem as well!

Just rambling now. I hope Iowa handles things more smoothly for everyone else. As is, I'm really disappointed. Iowa is the hometown school but didn't capitalize on that advantage at all; now I will probably go elsewhere. I will not put a seat deposit down only to wait for a scholarship offer when Iowa's peers have shown that they can offer the money well before the deposit due date.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:36 am

sebastian0622 wrote:
traehekat wrote:

+1

I applied to four schools in late January, with Iowa's app being the first one submitted. I heard back from one of the others (Wash U) within a week. I heard back from another (Emory) within two weeks. I had scholarship info from both of those schools within three weeks from the date of the application. Meanwhile, I didn't hear back from Iowa until three weeks after Emory, and I still haven't received information about scholarships. Now I am hearing that they have allocated all of their scholarship money, but I'm currently hearing from other schools that planned well enough to still be dishing out the offers.

In addition to that, Iowa's fee waiver was the only one I received that came with such an early expiration date, which was particularly annoying since I received it later in the cycle than almost all of my other fee waivers (Notre Dame's was the only one after it, I think).

I don't feel insulted or entitled or anything, it's just the pattern has been that Iowa isn't really keeping up with the competition, which leads me to question if this has been a cause for it dropping in the rankings as of late. Attracting students is a ruthless, strenuous commitment for admissions offices, and Iowa hasn't seemed up to the task (in my experience!). It'd be easy to blame this on me for the late application, but the point is that Iowa's peers are handling that just fine. Besides, I applied two months before Iowa's deadline, so we can't act like it was last-minute. If Iowa insists on rolling admissions, I think they should allocate resources better. Sure, you could say it's my problem, but if Iowa is missing out on good students, then it's Iowa's problem as well!

Just rambling now. I hope Iowa handles things more smoothly for everyone else. As is, I'm really disappointed. Iowa is the hometown school but didn't capitalize on that advantage at all; now I will probably go elsewhere. I will not put a seat deposit down only to wait for a scholarship offer when Iowa's peers have shown that they can offer the money well before the deposit due date.

Understandably frustrating.

thepcv

Postby thepcv » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:42 am

sebastian0622 wrote:
traehekat wrote:

+1

FWIW, I applied to Iowa and WUSTL at about the same time (in late Oct). I was accepted at Iowa in late December and had scholarship info by January 2nd. My file's been "Complete" at WUSTL since November 1 (though that date has changed a couple of times on their status checker)...

I definitely sympathize. But I will say that those were unusually fast turnaround times from Emory and WUSTL for you. I've only heard from two of the schools I applied to in January.

From what I've heard, Iowa's next round of scholarships will likely happen in mid/late April. Yeah, that seems a bit late, for sure, but I think it's due to the fact that Iowa's 1st round of scholarships are all full tuition scholarships (it seems like that's what they're more known for doing in terms of scholarships). Certainly doesn't make it any less frustrating for you, especially with seat deposit dates coming up before that point. I'd make the same decision you're making if I were in your place (by not putting a deposit down when peer schools are already offering money).

Regardless, good luck with the rest of your cycle.

itsablessing

Postby itsablessing » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:14 pm

Anyone been accepted lately?

Undergradut

Postby Undergradut » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:17 am

I dunno if any acceptances have come out lately, but there haven't been any reported (at least with decision dates reported) on law school numbers since the 10th.

The acceptances have tended to come out in bunches.

If rumors in this thread have been accurate, then the committee intends to soon start re-reviewing applications that had been deferred earlier in the cycle. That in mind, I think a lot of WL's (which likely will include me) and rejections will be coming out soon. Things will get interesting. This far into the cycle, it seems as if the vast majority of people in this thread and on law school numbers who have gotten a definite decision have been accepted.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:16 pm

Is anybody else trying to figure out if its worth putting down a seat deposit in hopes of getting a scholarship? I'd love to attend if I could get decent money, but I still haven't heard anything.

keemos

Postby keemos » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:18 pm

waitlisted today 163 3.43 withdrew

adonai

Postby adonai » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:25 pm

keemos wrote:waitlisted today 163 3.43 withdrew

were you on second review prior to this?

robin600

Postby robin600 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:47 pm

Sorry keemos, where are you headed instead?

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:50 pm

adonai wrote:

Second review?

How can you tell what your status is at Iowa? I go on to ISIS and all it says is "In Progress."

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:52 pm

JCougar wrote:
adonai wrote:

Second review?

How can you tell what your status is at Iowa? I go on to ISIS and all it says is "In Progress."

All it will ever say is "In Progress." ISIS is worthless. Some people receive an e-mail informing them that their application is going to be held for second review, which is the only way you know.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”