U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
dt22
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:25 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby dt22 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:31 pm

JOThompson wrote:
ylee0331 wrote:I'm an UG here at Iowa so if anyone has q's about the city and all, feel free to ask.

Hey, quick question--how far is the Cedar Rapids airport from Iowa City? What method of transport is most convenient/cheap between the two cities?



let's talk apartments!
->best area to live, considering the proximity to the law building vs ppl's satisfaction vs price
if you have any idea, that is.

thanks!!

ylee0331
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby ylee0331 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:55 pm

dt22 wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
ylee0331 wrote:I'm an UG here at Iowa so if anyone has q's about the city and all, feel free to ask.

Hey, quick question--how far is the Cedar Rapids airport from Iowa City? What method of transport is most convenient/cheap between the two cities?



let's talk apartments!
->best area to live, considering the proximity to the law building vs ppl's satisfaction vs price
if you have any idea, that is.

thanks!!


I was considering that myself too (even though I haven't heard anything from Iowa Law at all, yet). The law school is located west side of the river which is a little bit away from the downtown (but the campus bus is well systematized for those of you who worry and wants to live on downtown or other areas). So if I was coming into Iowa for the first time, I would look into apartments around the hospital area (search google: "seville apts iowa city"). These apts are in walking distance and is priced not bad (I live west side of the city with 2beds and pay $650/mo). Otherwise, I would just go into the dorms (slater, hillcrest).

okay maybe dorms are not the best for grad students b/c of those undgrads, but I would give it a good consideration for its location and all (slater for example is located right next to the law building and has all the things you need like dining hall, school gym/pool, etc.).

oh and the parking isn't good around the law building, so that may be a factor to consider.

User avatar
jaskat
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby jaskat » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:25 pm

ylee0331 wrote:
dt22 wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
ylee0331 wrote:I'm an UG here at Iowa so if anyone has q's about the city and all, feel free to ask.

Hey, quick question--how far is the Cedar Rapids airport from Iowa City? What method of transport is most convenient/cheap between the two cities?



let's talk apartments!
->best area to live, considering the proximity to the law building vs ppl's satisfaction vs price
if you have any idea, that is.

thanks!!


I was considering that myself too (even though I haven't heard anything from Iowa Law at all, yet). The law school is located west side of the river which is a little bit away from the downtown (but the campus bus is well systematized for those of you who worry and wants to live on downtown or other areas). So if I was coming into Iowa for the first time, I would look into apartments around the hospital area (search google: "seville apts iowa city"). These apts are in walking distance and is priced not bad (I live west side of the city with 2beds and pay $650/mo). Otherwise, I would just go into the dorms (slater, hillcrest).

okay maybe dorms are not the best for grad students b/c of those undgrads, but I would give it a good consideration for its location and all (slater for example is located right next to the law building and has all the things you need like dining hall, school gym/pool, etc.).

oh and the parking isn't good around the law building, so that may be a factor to consider.


How are the dorms? And wouldn't you still have access to the pool/gym as a "commuting" student?

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Slimpee » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:25 pm

Is Iowa City bike-friendly? I will bring a car but i'd probably bike most places.

ylee0331
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby ylee0331 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:34 pm

How are the dorms? And wouldn't you still have access to the pool/gym as a "commuting" student?[/quote]

Dorms are, well, dorms. I mean the school's old and I wouldn't expect a good boarding in dorms. I was just talking in terms of distance and the weather (it's still snowing as I write this and after some time you would just not want to go outside at all).

Oh and yes, pool/gym is open for all, but I was just talking in terms of distance here as well.

ylee0331
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby ylee0331 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:35 pm

Slimpee wrote:Is Iowa City bike-friendly? I will bring a car but i'd probably bike most places.


Iowa's known as a part of the great plains, that's all I'll say. haha
And it keeps coming up, but the weather may not be that bike-friendly.

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby JOThompson » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:10 pm

ylee0331 wrote:
Slimpee wrote:Is Iowa City bike-friendly? I will bring a car but i'd probably bike most places.


Iowa's known as a part of the great plains, that's all I'll say. haha
And it keeps coming up, but the weather may not be that bike-friendly.

How essential is a car for enjoying the city? I have one, but I'd like to leave it at home for my brother if possible.

Yellowcard
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:50 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Yellowcard » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:16 pm

I would really badly love to apply to Iowa. I just cannot stomach the cold.

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Slimpee » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:26 am

ylee0331 wrote:
Slimpee wrote:Is Iowa City bike-friendly? I will bring a car but i'd probably bike most places.


Iowa's known as a part of the great plains, that's all I'll say. haha
And it keeps coming up, but the weather may not be that bike-friendly.


Iowa's known as a part of the great plains, that's all I'll say. haha
And it keeps coming up, but the weather may not be that bike-friendly.[/quote]

Haha, I live in Minneapolis. I bike in below zero, snow, ice, etc....I can handle the weather.

What i really mean is are people used to bikes on the street? Will I be the weird bike-riding dude or will i have lots of two-wheeled friends? Will drivers hate me?

narkizopoint
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:33 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby narkizopoint » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:02 pm

drivers always hate cyclists, unless they have a bike rack on their own car...

tamlyric
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby tamlyric » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:14 pm

ylee0331 wrote:
Slimpee wrote:Is Iowa City bike-friendly? I will bring a car but i'd probably bike most places.


Iowa's known as a part of the great plains, that's all I'll say. haha
And it keeps coming up, but the weather may not be that bike-friendly.


iirc, iowa city is not the flattest city in the world. lots of hills. 8)

ylee0331
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby ylee0331 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:27 pm

tamlyric wrote:
ylee0331 wrote:
Slimpee wrote:Is Iowa City bike-friendly? I will bring a car but i'd probably bike most places.


Iowa's known as a part of the great plains, that's all I'll say. haha
And it keeps coming up, but the weather may not be that bike-friendly.


iirc, iowa city is not the flattest city in the world. lots of hills. 8)


cant disagree, indeed.

ylee0331
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby ylee0331 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:29 pm

Slimpee wrote:
ylee0331 wrote:
Slimpee wrote:What i really mean is are people used to bikes on the street? Will I be the weird bike-riding dude or will i have lots of two-wheeled friends? Will drivers hate me?


not at all, I occasionally see people riding bikes. you'll b just fine :)

User avatar
ILoveClowns8
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:04 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby ILoveClowns8 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:18 pm

ylee0331 wrote:
Slimpee wrote:
ylee0331 wrote:
Slimpee wrote:What i really mean is are people used to bikes on the street? Will I be the weird bike-riding dude or will i have lots of two-wheeled friends? Will drivers hate me?


not at all, I occasionally see people riding bikes. you'll b just fine :)

Yeah, bikes are perfectly acceptable, it wouldn't be a problem.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby robin600 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:26 pm

tsub wrote:
Jerome wrote:Received a letter from Dean Jones in the mail today, saying they were pleased to offer me admission, hope I will give full consideration, described the law reviews, clinics, research assistantships, and institutes, etc. Then went on to say they were particularly "intrigued" by my WE (referenced by name), and to contact them if I had any questions about these programs or the school in general. Lastly offered to speak to me individually, set up a class visit, provide tour, meet with a professor doing research in a field in which I was interested, etc.

I was shocked, basically, given my middling numbers. Any one else get this kind of letter?


Yeah I got a letter like that. They mentioned something about my public interest work and how they would help get me in touch with people if I want to pursue something along those lines in law school.

I really like Iowa, and I would put my deposit down TODAY if I got any form of scholarship whatsoever *sigh*

On a side note, anyone planning on going to the ASW at the end of March?

I'm for sure going, already booked the hotel!!! Super pumped!!! Now match my OSU offer Iowa!

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby webbylu87 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:28 pm

anyone know how iowa is for scholarship negotiation?

narkizopoint
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:33 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby narkizopoint » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:33 pm

webbylu87 wrote:anyone know how iowa is for scholarship negotiation?


You know that us govt policy about negotiating with terrorists? Yeah, thats kinda what it was like when I mentioned scholly negotiation...

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby robin600 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:51 pm

narkizopoint wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:anyone know how iowa is for scholarship negotiation?


You know that us govt policy about negotiating with terrorists? Yeah, thats kinda what it was like when I mentioned scholly negotiation...

Damn! Iowa is a little touchy on this subject, shit...there goes my plan!

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby webbylu87 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:15 pm

narkizopoint wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:anyone know how iowa is for scholarship negotiation?


You know that us govt policy about negotiating with terrorists? Yeah, thats kinda what it was like when I mentioned scholly negotiation...


even when negotiating with an offer from a higher ranked school? (i.e. illinois)

User avatar
dt22
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:25 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby dt22 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:38 pm

any more thoughts on the Thursday night reception?

User avatar
ILoveClowns8
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:04 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby ILoveClowns8 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:20 pm

Still thinking about the reception myself, it's not clear what it entails. Hopefully we get more information in the near future.

narkizopoint
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:33 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby narkizopoint » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:25 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
narkizopoint wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:anyone know how iowa is for scholarship negotiation?


You know that us govt policy about negotiating with terrorists? Yeah, thats kinda what it was like when I mentioned scholly negotiation...


even when negotiating with an offer from a higher ranked school? (i.e. illinois)


"We do not compete with other scholarship offers made by other schools. So unfortunately, notifying us would not be of any help to you."

Answer quoted was recieved in response to my well thought out, carefully worded inquiry to the aforementioned sentiment.

User avatar
dt22
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:25 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby dt22 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:31 pm

bhblack wrote:Still thinking about the reception myself, it's not clear what it entails. Hopefully we get more information in the near future.



yup

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby webbylu87 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:44 pm

narkizopoint wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:
narkizopoint wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:anyone know how iowa is for scholarship negotiation?


You know that us govt policy about negotiating with terrorists? Yeah, thats kinda what it was like when I mentioned scholly negotiation...


even when negotiating with an offer from a higher ranked school? (i.e. illinois)


"We do not compete with other scholarship offers made by other schools. So unfortunately, notifying us would not be of any help to you."

Answer quoted was recieved in response to my well thought out, carefully worded inquiry to the aforementioned sentiment.


oh i see. thanks for posting that. guess that puts that thought firmly to rest.

narkizopoint
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:33 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby narkizopoint » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:58 pm

i dont think you should give up if you have great numbers, they may just be saying that to me because my numbers aren't super great (no full tuition scholly). If you have better numbers then you should probably try.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”