U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Jerome

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Jerome » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:00 pm

JOThompson wrote:There was a handwritten comment about my PS, but it was otherwise a generic letter. Congrats, Jerome!

Thanks! When my acceptance letter came in the mail with the note about my PS I was stoked - I wasn't sure I'd be accepted. This letter totally made my day. Hoping for a scholly to follow.

robin600 wrote:
Jerome wrote:Received a letter from Dean Jones in the mail today, saying they were pleased to offer me admission, hope I will give full consideration, described the law reviews, clinics, research assistantships, and institutes, etc. Then went on to say they were particularly "intrigued" by my WE (referenced by name), and to contact them if I had any questions about these programs or the school in general. Lastly offered to speak to me individually, set up a class visit, provide tour, meet with a professor doing research in a field in which I was interested, etc.

I was shocked, basically, given my middling numbers. Any one else get this kind of letter?

I got something similar, telling me that they would put me in touch with a professor in the public interest field and they did, she sent me an email. Also mentioned my strong academic motivation and willingness to proceed through hard times.

Nice. Hope you get some money. I think I'll e-mail them back and ask to meet a prof when I'm there for ASW.

LiveFree

Postby LiveFree » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:02 pm

Jerome wrote:Received a letter from Dean Jones in the mail today, saying they were pleased to offer me admission, hope I will give full consideration, described the law reviews, clinics, research assistantships, and institutes, etc. Then went on to say they were particularly "intrigued" by my WE (referenced by name), and to contact them if I had any questions about these programs or the school in general. Lastly offered to speak to me individually, set up a class visit, provide tour, meet with a professor doing research in a field in which I was interested, etc.

I was shocked, basically, given my middling numbers. Any one else get this kind of letter?

I received this letter, too. Still no scholly info, though. Bummer.

nateborland

Postby nateborland » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:03 pm

Man, wish I had at least gotten a letter telling me I was on hold :)

Congrats, guys. I hope I can get some good news, soon.

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:08 pm

LiveFree wrote:

I received this letter, too. Still no scholly info, though. Bummer.

When were you admitted?

narkizopoint

Postby narkizopoint » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:16 pm

hey guys, just got my IVF form for those of you looking out for it. Looks like the fin aid office is going through the FAFSA stuff.

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:36 pm

Yeah, got that form too. Reminded me to file for FAFSA. Was anyone else who did FAFSA pleasantly surprised that it was just your info that went on the form? I think it took me less than 20 minutes to file when in past years with my parents' info it took me around an hour.

tsub

Postby tsub » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:41 pm

Yeah I got a letter like that. They mentioned something about my public interest work and how they would help get me in touch with people if I want to pursue something along those lines in law school.

I really like Iowa, and I would put my deposit down TODAY if I got any form of scholarship whatsoever *sigh*

On a side note, anyone planning on going to the ASW at the end of March?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:43 pm

tsub wrote:

Yeah I got a letter like that. They mentioned something about my public interest work and how they would help get me in touch with people if I want to pursue something along those lines in law school.

I really like Iowa, and I would put my deposit down TODAY if I got any form of scholarship whatsoever *sigh*

I am pretty sure I will be in attendance.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:59 pm

tsub wrote:

Very good chance i'm there

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:05 pm

tsub wrote:

+1 on the scholly.

I'll be at ASW.

dt22

Postby dt22 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:01 pm

Hi!
I think I'm going also...speaking of, what does everyone think of the Thursday night reception? I may just go to the Friday's main activities....(ok, this may or may not have to do with the Black Eye Peas Concert Thursday night, is that bad?)...maybe not.

ILoveClowns8

Postby ILoveClowns8 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:03 pm

tsub wrote:
Jerome wrote:On a side note, anyone planning on going to the ASW at the end of March?

I'll be there, not sure about the Thursday night reception though.

MoS

Postby MoS » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:01 pm

Slimpee wrote:
tsub wrote:

Very good chance i'm there

Probably going

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:01 am

I am getting anxious as I am going to visit next weekend. I have a full itinerary of meetings with various professors/students/and other departments within the school as interest. I decided to go early and try to narrow my schools down before the last weekend in March. I am excited to see is Iowa is the fit for me.

MoS

Postby MoS » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:57 am

Does anyone think there is an advantage to going to ASW versus a private visit?

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:19 am

MoS wrote:Does anyone think there is an advantage to going to ASW versus a private visit?

I was debating that myself. I think that the only real benefit is meeting potential future classmates, but I would (and may still try to) do a private visit.

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:27 am

All I can do is speak to my own experience. I sent every school I am going to visit a notice a few weeks in advance. In Iowa's case I used two contacts (admission and a professor) there to set an itinerary that would be most beneficial to me. In my visit next week I have meetings with financial aid, career services, 2 meetings with small groups of current students, a lunch with one professor, a one-on-one meeting with the professor over what I am most interested in, as well as the standard tour/class/etc.

I have this type of line up at 3 schools I am going to visit which I believe will be highly more beneficial than a large group marketing campaign. Just my two cents.

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:30 am

Padimud wrote:All I can do is speak to my own experience. I sent every school I am going to visit a notice a few weeks in advance. In Iowa's case I used two contacts (admission and a professor) there to set an itinerary that would be most beneficial to me. In my visit next week I have meetings with financial aid, career services, 2 meetings with small groups of current students, a lunch with one professor, a one-on-one meeting with the professor over what I am most interested in, as well as the standard tour/class/etc.

I have this type of line up at 3 schools I am going to visit which I believe will be highly more beneficial than a large group marketing campaign. Just my two cents.

I think you're right. I am seriously considering lining something like that up, although I may just try to add some meetings to the usual ASW line-up because that is the only week I can get off work to go.

dt22

Postby dt22 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:32 am

Jerome wrote:
MoS wrote:Does anyone think there is an advantage to going to ASW versus a private visit?

I was debating that myself. I think that the only real benefit is meeting potential future classmates, but I would (and may still try to) do a private visit.

I see the benefit in both. I had what I would consider an analogy to a private visit when my pre-law class (about 6 people) went to visit Iowa a couple years ago. We did the whole private meeting thing, then got a tour of the school. It was nice, but it wasn't enough interaction with "real" students for me.

I also used to work for Admissions in my undergard; while I agree that admitted student days may seem like a marketing campaign, you should know that none of the student reps would be there id they didn't love the school they're in and just wanted to share their experiencecs. With that said, I think events like ASW are also a nice thing to do when considering schools. Just my opinion.

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:39 am

I agree that ASW offers distinct advantages as well. For me the biggest push was deadlines on scholarships both at Iowa and other schools. I have to know by April 1st and wanted to give myself more than 3 days to mull it over.

I will miss the chance to meet many on this board who will be my future classmates.

tsub

Postby tsub » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:01 pm

I agree with Padimud. For undergrad, when I was visiting schools (and when I got there, fraternities) I had to ask myself if I could at least tolerate the people around me for the next 4 years. After visiting some schools around DC (which I won't name) I am just really not interested in going to them.

It'll be great getting to see some people who could potentially be my classmates. Here's to hoping everyone's cool.

ylee0331

Postby ylee0331 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:10 pm

I'm an UG here at Iowa so if anyone has q's about the city and all, feel free to ask.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:08 pm

ylee0331 wrote:I'm an UG here at Iowa so if anyone has q's about the city and all, feel free to ask.

Hey, quick question--how far is the Cedar Rapids airport from Iowa City? What method of transport is most convenient/cheap between the two cities?

ylee0331

Postby ylee0331 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:03 pm

JOThompson wrote:
ylee0331 wrote:I'm an UG here at Iowa so if anyone has q's about the city and all, feel free to ask.

Hey, quick question--how far is the Cedar Rapids airport from Iowa City? What method of transport is most convenient/cheap between the two cities?

It's about 20~30 minutes of driving (from the airport to Iowa City, that is). Normally, you would want to use the airport shuttle which costs you significantly less (around 15~20bucks, maybe) than taking a cab.

If you were to take a cab, as the shuttle may not be available, you would want to ask if it's a Cedar Rapids cab or Iowa City cab. One time I took a cedar rapids cab and cost me around 70 bucks (Iowa City ones charge you around 40).

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:07 pm

I'll use the shuttle then, if it's available. Thank you for the info :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”