U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MarkRenton

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby MarkRenton » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:33 pm

Badger wrote:Hey,
I got the same e-mail about being under second review (apparently the future waitlist). Anyways, I got excited and set up a tour for this Friday and I was looking for advice about my LOCI. Do you guys think it would be better to personally hand in a LOCI, wait till after the visit and include some details about how it all went, or finally personally give a LOCI and follow up with a "thank you" note? I have pretty low numbers, so I have to do everything I can. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Don't personally hand in a LOCI. Not because it's a bad idea.... But you haven't been WL'ed yet and you don't want to make those redundant. A personal visit says a ton and a supplemental LOCI does little extra. Plus, it may come off as a bit disingenuous handing them a statement speaking to how much you want to attend, when the statement was written prior to your visit.

I would write a thank you letter and then begin the LOCI process after you've been WL'ed

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:39 pm

MarkRenton wrote:
I got the same e-mail about being under second review (apparently the future waitlist). Anyways, I got excited and set up a tour for this Friday and I was looking for advice about my LOCI. Do you guys think it would be better to personally hand in a LOCI, wait till after the visit and include some details about how it all went, or finally personally give a LOCI and follow up with a "thank you" note? I have pretty low numbers, so I have to do everything I can. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Don't personally hand in a LOCI. Not because it's a bad idea.... But you haven't been WL'ed yet and you don't want to make those redundant. A personal visit says a ton and a supplemental LOCI does little extra. Plus, it may come off as a bit disingenuous handing them a statement speaking to how much you want to attend, when the statement was written prior to your visit.

I would write a thank you letter and then begin the LOCI process after you've been WL'ed

+1

Badger

Postby Badger » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:49 pm

Jerome wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:

Thanks

+1

Thanks for the info, sounds great. On a side note, anybody know how waitlisters or future waitlisters fair at Iowa?

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:53 pm

Badger wrote:
Jerome wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:

Thanks

+1

Thanks for the info, sounds great. On a side note, anybody know how waitlisters or future waitlisters fair at Iowa?

It is probably very dependent on your numbers.

Badger

Postby Badger » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:57 pm

^ :cry:

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:51 pm

Badger wrote:^ :cry:

What are your numbers?

Feel free to PM if you're feelin' bashful...mine are weak as well...and on my profile.

Badger

Postby Badger » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:14 pm

Well..I PM'd you and then decided I don't care about telling everyone, ha. I'm a non-urm, with a 157 LSAT, 3.61 GPA and solid softs (couple good LORS, upward GPA trend, President of local club that helps underprivileged kids, 3 majors, from solid undergrad school, taken some grad level courses). I know it's a long shot, but every thing is a long shot until I take the LSAT again in June. Hopefully the visit Friday does something... :|

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:18 pm

Badger wrote:Well..I PM'd you and then decided I don't care about telling everyone, ha. I'm a non-urm, with a 157 LSAT, 3.61 GPA and solid softs (couple good LORS, upward GPA trend, President of local club that helps underprivileged kids, 3 majors, from solid undergrad school, taken some grad level courses). I know it's a long shot, but every thing is a long shot until I take the LSAT again in June. Hopefully the visit Friday does something... :|

If Iowa cares as much about an holistic approach to applicants, I think you have a decent shot to get considered in the next round of review. Don't despair. With a visit and then a LOCI, you may be fine.

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:21 pm

So.... I got in today via e-mail!
Last edited by jaskat on Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

dt22

Postby dt22 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:41 am

In today via email: 159 highest, 3.57, double major, good softs, work experience. Good luck!

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:44 am

Congrats to the new admits! Who's excited for ASW? I am!

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:45 am

robin600 wrote:Congrats to the new admits! Who's excited for ASW? I am!

+1.

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:28 am

Where do we find information on ASW?

gatorlion

Postby gatorlion » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:29 am

dt22 wrote:In today via email: 159 highest, 3.57, double major, good softs, work experience. Good luck!

When did you go complete? I'm still "In progress" with 158/4.0, pretty good softs, lots of research.

tate033

Postby tate033 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:58 am

jaskat wrote:Where do we find information on ASW?

They sent a "save the date" email, and said more info to come later:

Dear Admitted Student,

Please mark your calendar for Admitted Students Day for the class of 2013 on March 25-26th (reception evening of the 25th; programming at the College of Law on the 26th). This will be a great opportunity to visit Iowa City, the campus, and meet faculty and students. Invitations, with more information, will be mailed mid February. If you have any questions in the meantime, please don’t hesitate to contact our office.

Sincerely,

Collins Byrd
Assistant Dean of Admissions

Sehee Foss
Associate Director of Admissions

dt22

Postby dt22 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:08 pm

gatorlion wrote:
dt22 wrote:In today via email: 159 highest, 3.57, double major, good softs, work experience. Good luck!

When did you go complete? I'm still "In progress" with 158/4.0, pretty good softs, lots of research.

Mmm can't tell you - submitted everything in the first days of January and was in progress the whole time (never changed to complete or anything else). Got an email with the congrats, after which the status changed to Admitted, so didn't see it coming.

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:25 pm

jaskat wrote:Where do we find information on ASW?

They are sending out packets in the middle of February, and I assume it'll have all the information you'll need.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:12 pm

In this morning via email! :D

First T30 acceptance, very excited.

EDIT: Just checked my ISIS and it still says I am "In Progress." Is this normal?

Abrikos

Postby Abrikos » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:57 pm

traehekat wrote:In this morning via email! :D

EDIT: Just checked my ISIS and it still says I am "In Progress." Is this normal?

congrats!!! yes, it is normal.

for all waiting for scholly info from Iowa - just talked to admissions committee - no partial schollarships are to be expected until March 15. after March 15 they will reconsider scholarschips if the remaining funds allow them to do that. Not good.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:15 pm

Abrikos wrote:
traehekat wrote:In this morning via email! :D

congrats!!! yes, it is normal.

for all waiting for scholly info from Iowa - just talked to admissions committee - no partial schollarships are to be expected until March 15. after March 15 they will reconsider scholarschips if the remaining funds allow them to do that. Not good.

Poop!!!! I just got 36K from OSU, GDit Iowa! You're a sinking ship you are!

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:16 pm

Just withdrew from Iowa w/ full ride.

Good luck, all!

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:22 pm

Abrikos wrote:for all waiting for scholly info from Iowa - just talked to admissions committee - no partial schollarships are to be expected until March 15. after March 15 they will reconsider scholarschips if the remaining funds allow them to do that. Not good.

I've been very disappointed with Iowa's scholarship process this cycle. Did their bottom line get wiped out with the recent market crash or what? I had pictured them as one of the most generous schools, but this year they're sorely lacking (apart from the few full rides bandied about).

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:26 pm

Anyone know how good Iowa is with negotiating aid? Turning down 36K is going to be hard, but I'd much rather go to Iowa.

Jaskat- here's the link: http://www.law.uiowa.edu/documents/asd_program2010.pdf

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:27 pm

robin600 wrote:Anyone know how good Iowa is with negotiating aid? Turning down 36K is going to be hard, but I'd much rather go to Iowa.

Jaskat- here's the link: http://www.law.uiowa.edu/documents/asd_program2010.pdf

Thanks Robin.

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:20 pm

Being a T30, it is surprising that they do not get more applicants on LSN, they have under 200. Good for us! More scholarships! (obviously you can't gauge based off LSN, but it is reasonable)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”