U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
jaskat
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby jaskat » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:52 pm

robin600 wrote:I don't think partial scholarships have been sent out yet. If you call the admissions office and ask if you have been nominated for a scholarship they will tell you. If you don't hear anything by March 15th, you have not received any scholly.

I will be driving to Iowa City from Michigan. I love long drives. I can't wait to get some good music on and drink a slurpee on the open road.

Has anyone else got the emails from the 1L and the graduate? I think that's pretty nice.


No, but I want them!!!

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Slimpee » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:03 pm

robin600 wrote:I don't think partial scholarships have been sent out yet. If you call the admissions office and ask if you have been nominated for a scholarship they will tell you. If you don't hear anything by March 15th, you have not received any scholly.

I will be driving to Iowa City from Michigan. I love long drives. I can't wait to get some good music on and drink a slurpee on the open road.

Has anyone else got the emails from the 1L and the graduate? I think that's pretty nice.


Yeah, both have ties to where I live now and wrote about that, which was nice. They also both responded very quickly which again, was nice!

narkizopoint
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:33 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby narkizopoint » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:05 pm

Yeah, the 1L that wrote me was actually an alma mater from my undergrad. It was pretty cool to talk to someone who had or, I guess, will have a similar transition (LA, CA to Iowa City, IA). Iowa was kind of out of the running until I started talking to him.

User avatar
mshflyer
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:40 am

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby mshflyer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:08 pm

gatorlion wrote:
mshflyer wrote:accepted off the hold list yesterday! first T30 acceptance! pretty much one of the best days ever.


There is a hold list already? I was informed that I was being placed under second review, but they have a separate hold group?



Sorry, I guess I just read "held for second review" as a hold list. It sounds like we got the same email about the second review. I was told my app was being "held for a second review" in the beginning of January, got in 2/2.

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby gatorlion » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:22 pm

mshflyer wrote:
gatorlion wrote:
mshflyer wrote:accepted off the hold list yesterday! first T30 acceptance! pretty much one of the best days ever.


There is a hold list already? I was informed that I was being placed under second review, but they have a separate hold group?



Sorry, I guess I just read "held for second review" as a hold list. It sounds like we got the same email about the second review. I was told my app was being "held for a second review" in the beginning of January, got in 2/2.


I received my "held for second review" email 12/4 (I took the December LSAT so maybe that had something to do with it).

User avatar
ILoveClowns8
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:04 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby ILoveClowns8 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:11 pm

narkizopoint wrote:Yeah, the 1L that wrote me was actually an alma mater from my undergrad. It was pretty cool to talk to someone who had or, I guess, will have a similar transition (LA, CA to Iowa City, IA). Iowa was kind of out of the running until I started talking to him.

Same here, was definitely a nice touch, made it feel very personal. I'm impressed, they were a reach school for me and have courted me more than any other.

narkizopoint
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:33 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby narkizopoint » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:58 am

Is anyone else who filled out a FASFA early getting a little worried by the "not recieved" status under the ISIS Financial Aid link? They won't make your IVF (Institutional Verification Form) until 2 weeks after they recieve the info from FASFA and I would like to get all the paper work in so I can resume vegging out until law school starts (resting the 'ol brain).

User avatar
Jerome
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Jerome » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:40 pm

narkizopoint wrote:Is anyone else who filled out a FASFA early getting a little worried by the "not recieved" status under the ISIS Financial Aid link? They won't make your IVF (Institutional Verification Form) until 2 weeks after they recieve the info from FASFA and I would like to get all the paper work in so I can resume vegging out until law school starts (resting the 'ol brain).

It takes roughly 2 weeks to get the FAFSA out to the schools. I don't know how early you applied, but that might explain it. I sent mine Jan. 28 and U Iowa hasn't gotten mine yet.

narkizopoint
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:33 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby narkizopoint » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:50 pm

Heads up guys, just spoke with Admissions rep and they said the latest plan regarding partial scholarships is that they will be going out closer to March 15th.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby robin600 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:30 pm

Jerome wrote:
narkizopoint wrote:Is anyone else who filled out a FASFA early getting a little worried by the "not recieved" status under the ISIS Financial Aid link? They won't make your IVF (Institutional Verification Form) until 2 weeks after they recieve the info from FASFA and I would like to get all the paper work in so I can resume vegging out until law school starts (resting the 'ol brain).

It takes roughly 2 weeks to get the FAFSA out to the schools. I don't know how early you applied, but that might explain it. I sent mine Jan. 28 and U Iowa hasn't gotten mine yet.

a little off topic but how do you know if they received your FAFSA stuff?
narkizopoint wrote:Heads up guys, just spoke with Admissions rep and they said the latest plan regarding partial scholarships is that they will be going out closer to March 15th.

That's what my 1L said about scholarship information (I asked her if she got anything, and she didn't, but her friends that did haven't heard anything till like late Feb.).

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby JOThompson » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:41 pm

Just spoke with the admissions office and have good news. They'll offer a $200 travel reimbursement for ASW, if you end up matriculating.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby traehekat » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:42 pm

JOThompson wrote:Just spoke with the admissions office and have good news. They'll offer a $200 travel reimbursement for ASW, if you end up matriculating.


Nice to know, thanks!

User avatar
Jerome
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Jerome » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:44 pm

robin600 wrote:
Jerome wrote:
narkizopoint wrote:Is anyone else who filled out a FASFA early getting a little worried by the "not recieved" status under the ISIS Financial Aid link? They won't make your IVF (Institutional Verification Form) until 2 weeks after they recieve the info from FASFA and I would like to get all the paper work in so I can resume vegging out until law school starts (resting the 'ol brain).

It takes roughly 2 weeks to get the FAFSA out to the schools. I don't know how early you applied, but that might explain it. I sent mine Jan. 28 and U Iowa hasn't gotten mine yet.

a little off topic but how do you know if they received your FAFSA stuff?
narkizopoint wrote:Heads up guys, just spoke with Admissions rep and they said the latest plan regarding partial scholarships is that they will be going out closer to March 15th.

That's what my 1L said about scholarship information (I asked her if she got anything, and she didn't, but her friends that did haven't heard anything till like late Feb.).


On ISIS, at the top of the screen go to Student Records-->Financial Aid-->Application Status.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby robin600 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:20 pm

JOThompson wrote:Just spoke with the admissions office and have good news. They'll offer a $200 travel reimbursement for ASW, if you end up matriculating.

Does that mean you have to put a seat deposit down before ASW? or will they reimburse you after?

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby traehekat » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:27 pm

robin600 wrote:
JOThompson wrote:Just spoke with the admissions office and have good news. They'll offer a $200 travel reimbursement for ASW, if you end up matriculating.

Does that mean you have to put a seat deposit down before ASW? or will they reimburse you after?


Reimburse, I believe.

User avatar
Jerome
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Jerome » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:31 pm

traehekat wrote:
robin600 wrote:
JOThompson wrote:Just spoke with the admissions office and have good news. They'll offer a $200 travel reimbursement for ASW, if you end up matriculating.

Does that mean you have to put a seat deposit down before ASW? or will they reimburse you after?


Reimburse, I believe.

Damn, that is awesome, especially because I am so broke. Now if only they'd give me some money...

narkizopoint
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:33 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby narkizopoint » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:45 am

Jerome wrote:Damn, that is awesome, especially because I am so broke. Now if only they'd give me some money...


+1

User avatar
Padimud
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Padimud » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:51 am

I just booked my trip to Iowa City. Given I am having to go in late February vs waiting for ASW. Two lessons learned: 1- It blows to try to arrange a visit via the admissions office, 2 - But if you use your contacts (a professor, student) you can arrange a pretty worthwhile visit to Iowa City. Estimated cost round trip for me $700 - It better be worth the trip Iowa.

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby JOThompson » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:02 pm

Padimud wrote:I just booked my trip to Iowa City. Given I am having to go in late February vs waiting for ASW. Two lessons learned: 1- It blows to try to arrange a visit via the admissions office, 2 - But if you use your contacts (a professor, student) you can arrange a pretty worthwhile visit to Iowa City. Estimated cost round trip for me $700 - It better be worth the trip Iowa.

Airfare to Iowa is so expensive. I'm looking at $550 and then another $100+ for lodging. Somewhat hesitant to visit in March, even with an eventual $300 reimbursement.

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby JOThompson » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:34 pm

It's difficult to get a straight answer from the admissions office about reimbursements. I just got the official email and it looks like the reimbursement is actually $300:

The University of Iowa College of Law is able to assist scholarship recipients with their travel expenses that are incurred when they travel to visit The College of Law in Iowa City, IA. The maximum amount that each eligible student can be reimbursed is a total of $300.00.

To be eligible for this travel reimbursement program you must receive a scholarship award from The University of Iowa College of Law and be enrolled as a first-year student at The University of Iowa College of Law.

The College of Law will reimburse the following expenses:

· Transportation expenses—Air fare, rail or bus fare, car rental fee, taxi charges.
· Mileage incurred on personal automobile.
· Lodging—Hotel or motel (minus any meal charges.)

Food and beverage expenses, and mileage incurred on rental vehicles will not be eligible for reimbursement.

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:50 pm

I got a rather odd email today from Iowa. It said I didn't make the cut in my initial review but I was still up for further review? Is this deferral? It doesn't sound like the waitlist and it's not a rejection? Anyone else go through? And what was the result?

User avatar
Padimud
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Padimud » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:56 pm

JOThompson wrote:It's difficult to get a straight answer from the admissions office about reimbursements. I just got the official email and it looks like the reimbursement is actually $300:

The University of Iowa College of Law is able to assist scholarship recipients with their travel expenses that are incurred when they travel to visit The College of Law in Iowa City, IA. The maximum amount that each eligible student can be reimbursed is a total of $300.00.

To be eligible for this travel reimbursement program you must receive a scholarship award from The University of Iowa College of Law and be enrolled as a first-year student at The University of Iowa College of Law.

The College of Law will reimburse the following expenses:

· Transportation expenses—Air fare, rail or bus fare, car rental fee, taxi charges.
· Mileage incurred on personal automobile.
· Lodging—Hotel or motel (minus any meal charges.)

Food and beverage expenses, and mileage incurred on rental vehicles will not be eligible for reimbursement.


There is one key to their e-mail you may be overlooking. . . . These reimbursements are only if you enroll at Iowa, and you are a scholarship recipient. They do not have a reimbursement program for everyone.

User avatar
MarkRenton
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:54 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby MarkRenton » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:59 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:I got a rather odd email today from Iowa. It said I didn't make the cut in my initial review but I was still up for further review? Is this deferral? It doesn't sound like the waitlist and it's not a rejection? Anyone else go through? And what was the result?


It's pretty much a wait list-to-be. They haven't officially WL'ed folks, so this pool will probably make up the WL when it's released. However, some people going for a second review may be admitted or of course denied. But this is pretty much your future WL.

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:06 pm

MarkRenton wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:I got a rather odd email today from Iowa. It said I didn't make the cut in my initial review but I was still up for further review? Is this deferral? It doesn't sound like the waitlist and it's not a rejection? Anyone else go through? And what was the result?


It's pretty much a wait list-to-be. They haven't officially WL'ed folks, so this pool will probably make up the WL when it's released. However, some people going for a second review may be admitted or of course denied. But this is pretty much your future WL.


Damn.

Oh well, sorta expected. Do they admit many from the waitlist? Anyone know?

Badger
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:51 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Badger » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:28 pm

Hey,
I got the same e-mail about being under second review (apparently the future waitlist). Anyways, I got excited and set up a tour for this Friday and I was looking for advice about my LOCI. Do you guys think it would be better to personally hand in a LOCI, wait till after the visit and include some details about how it all went, or finally personally give a LOCI and follow up with a "thank you" note? I have pretty low numbers, so I have to do everything I can. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, dasq5511, Harry Ass Truman, Houzy, jtawil, kvnrogers, lg77, notsolawful, SuperAverageJoe, XUMickeal and 18 guests