U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sckon
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:03 am

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby sckon » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:53 pm

robin600 wrote:
sckon wrote:Me and my full ride just withdrew. It will go to the highest bidder. Let the bidding start at $5 and a pack of skittles.

sckon wtf, we had this settled I get your full ride AND you give me a pack of red sweedish fish!
PS- ND official now?



Alright....make it two packs and we got a deal.


ND is official.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby robin600 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:03 am

sckon wrote:
robin600 wrote:
sckon wrote:Me and my full ride just withdrew. It will go to the highest bidder. Let the bidding start at $5 and a pack of skittles.

sckon wtf, we had this settled I get your full ride AND you give me a pack of red sweedish fish!
PS- ND official now?



Alright....make it two packs and we got a deal.


ND is official.

Very cool, maybe I'll see you there this fall if I can get off the WL!

tarvis79
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:51 am

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby tarvis79 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:55 am

Just got an acceptance email today. Best school I've gotten into so far! 3.41/172 :D

User avatar
MarkRenton
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:54 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby MarkRenton » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:55 am

Has anyone who was held done anything like additional submit documents etc?

User avatar
thepcv
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby thepcv » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:51 am

MarkRenton wrote:Has anyone who was held done anything like additional submit documents etc?

You might want to consider sending a LOCI. I've read on other threads that sometimes it can help.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby robin600 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:34 pm

MarkRenton wrote:Has anyone who was held done anything like additional submit documents etc?

Have you wrote a why Iowa or diversity statement yet, if not I'd recommend it!

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby gatorlion » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:22 pm

tsub wrote:In today via e-mail. 158/3.65 so there's hope for others!


URM status pretty much explains this one. Most people (such as myself) will just have to continue waiting (im)patiently.

User avatar
World B. Free
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:34 am

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby World B. Free » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:26 pm

+1 on waiting it out!

tsub
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:36 am

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby tsub » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:36 pm

gatorlion wrote:
tsub wrote:In today via e-mail. 158/3.65 so there's hope for others!


URM status pretty much explains this one. Most people (such as myself) will just have to continue waiting (im)patiently.



I'm not a URM. I'm Asian, so if anything I'm an ORM.

User avatar
MoS
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby MoS » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:46 pm

tsub wrote:
gatorlion wrote:
tsub wrote:In today via e-mail. 158/3.65 so there's hope for others!


URM status pretty much explains this one. Most people (such as myself) will just have to continue waiting (im)patiently.



I'm not a URM. I'm Asian, so if anything I'm an ORM.

You might be URM in Iowa, but I am guessing you just had a good overall application. Congrats

User avatar
daddymike
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 5:04 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby daddymike » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:08 am

Baylan wrote:
robin600 wrote:Nothing tops MSU's party scene. Nothing, but Iowa is a close second...if you define close liberally



Amen. I would say that it is likely there are other University's with a better party scene, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find one in the Big10, or the Midwest.



I can't speak about other universities in different parts of the country, but in comparison to East Coast schools, Iowa Friday nights are insane... INSANE!

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby JCougar » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:15 pm

robin600 wrote:It is the best of any Big Ten school, and probably one of the best in the nation. That is, if you like to drink. Every one of my friends who goes there absolutely loves it though.

Nothing tops MSU's party scene. Nothing, but Iowa is a close second...if you define close liberally[/quote]

Madison?

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby robin600 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:40 pm

JCougar wrote:
robin600 wrote:It is the best of any Big Ten school, and probably one of the best in the nation. That is, if you like to drink. Every one of my friends who goes there absolutely loves it though.

Nothing tops MSU's party scene. Nothing, but Iowa is a close second...if you define close liberally


Madison?[/quote]
Not even close....I actually did a case study of the haloween party week arrests at Madison compared to MSU. Madison has more MIPs, but MSU has more arson, felony theft, crazy naked crimes (sexual misconduct, peeing in public etc...), oh and of course DUIs.

User avatar
Panther7
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:34 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Panther7 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:38 am

robin600 wrote:
JCougar wrote:
robin600 wrote:It is the best of any Big Ten school, and probably one of the best in the nation. That is, if you like to drink. Every one of my friends who goes there absolutely loves it though.
Nothing tops MSU's party scene. Nothing, but Iowa is a close second...if you define close liberally


Madison?

Not even close....I actually did a case study of the haloween party week arrests at Madison compared to MSU. Madison has more MIPs, but MSU has more arson, felony theft, crazy naked crimes (sexual misconduct, peeing in public etc...), oh and of course DUIs.


The average IQ of MSU students is probably about 30 points lower too...

User avatar
jaskat
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby jaskat » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:49 pm

Panther7 wrote:
robin600 wrote:
JCougar wrote:
robin600 wrote:It is the best of any Big Ten school, and probably one of the best in the nation. That is, if you like to drink. Every one of my friends who goes there absolutely loves it though.
Nothing tops MSU's party scene. Nothing, but Iowa is a close second...if you define close liberally


Madison?

Not even close....I actually did a case study of the haloween party week arrests at Madison compared to MSU. Madison has more MIPs, but MSU has more arson, felony theft, crazy naked crimes (sexual misconduct, peeing in public etc...), oh and of course DUIs.


The average IQ of MSU students is probably about 30 points lower too...


I'm not an MSU student, and that hurt, lol. Is MSU really that big a party school?

Ok so I've been in review at Iowa since like December. Is this common?

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby traehekat » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:55 pm

Admission Decision: In Progress

Can anyone help me out here? I'm not sure where I am in the decision process.

Sent 1/4.
ISIS password/username 1/13.
I have been In Progress since the first time I logged in.
Received email 1/22.

I'm not even complete yet, then, am I?

User avatar
extempore88
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:08 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby extempore88 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:07 pm

.
Last edited by extempore88 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thepcv
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby thepcv » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:09 pm

traehekat wrote:Admission Decision: In Progress

Can anyone help me out here? I'm not sure where I am in the decision process.

Sent 1/4.
ISIS password/username 1/13.
I have been In Progress since the first time I logged in.
Received email 1/22.

I'm not even complete yet, then, am I?


If I remember correctly, ISIS kept me as In Progress until I received the acceptance email. I never received any indication that my file was complete (other than seeing the "in progress" and assuming that meant that I was, in fact, complete).

With that said, I began receiving a bunch of emails and letters after I was accepted.

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Slimpee » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:11 pm

extempore88 wrote:My acceptance letter had a handwritten post script complimenting my personal statement :roll: Did anyone else get handwritten comments on their application? What did it say?


Me too. It said I wrote an excellent PS

User avatar
thepcv
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby thepcv » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:14 pm

extempore88 wrote:My acceptance letter had a handwritten post script complimenting my personal statement :roll: Did anyone else get handwritten comments on their application? What did it say?

+1

Collins Byrd wrote on my letter that I'll enjoy their International Human Rights Research Center and their Citizen Lawyer Program.

tsub
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:36 am

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby tsub » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:19 pm

Has anybody heard anything about how competitive the atmosphere is at Iowa? The only stuff I know is what I've read on Princeton Review and bits and pieces from TLS Forums. I want to go to school where there is competition but not necessarily a high degree of cutthroat competition.

The general impression I get is that it is competitive, but the competition isn't overbearing. That's pretty much what every profile says on this web site. Any current students want to throw in their two cents?

User avatar
jaskat
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby jaskat » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:20 pm

thepcv wrote:
extempore88 wrote:My acceptance letter had a handwritten post script complimenting my personal statement :roll: Did anyone else get handwritten comments on their application? What did it say?

+1

Collins Byrd wrote on my letter that I'll enjoy their International Human Rights Research Center and their Citizen Lawyer Program.


I hope to get this note !!!

User avatar
thepcv
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby thepcv » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:27 pm

tsub wrote:Has anybody heard anything about how competitive the atmosphere is at Iowa? The only stuff I know is what I've read on Princeton Review and bits and pieces from TLS Forums. I want to go to school where there is competition but not necessarily a high degree of cutthroat competition.

The general impression I get is that it is competitive, but the competition isn't overbearing. That's pretty much what every profile says on this web site. Any current students want to throw in their two cents?

I've been in email correspondence with an Iowa Law alum. One of the questions I asked him was specifically about that. Here's what he said:

In my experience, law students tend to be a quite competitive group (to put it mildly), but I found that competiveness in my Iowa classmates to be expressed mostly as healthy and good-natured competition that simply pushed each of us to do our very best. There was quite a bit of camaraderie and most of the competitiveness was in that spirit. We readily shared notes, outlines, horn books, etc.

Actually, my correspondence with this guy in general has really increased my interest in Iowa.

User avatar
daddymike
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 5:04 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby daddymike » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:50 pm

Snwboarder78 wrote:Can you get RA positions outside of the law school as well? I know a few people at Wisconsin that do something like that to receive stipends and tuition payment for law school.



From what I understand, yes. But you may want to contact the RA office for that. (just call the law school main line and ask for the Research Assistant office)

User avatar
Padimud
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Padimud » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:10 pm

Just received a full tuition scholarship plus RA position offer from Iowa via snail mail.

I take back all of the bashing I have done over the past couple of weeks. This is going to make my decision making process so much more difficult.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Christinabruin, Cjsanders2 and 5 guests