U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nyskidude

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby nyskidude » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:28 pm

Scholly at UIUC is 30k total. Sorry for the confusion.

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:30 pm

Padimud wrote:
Baylan wrote:
Padimud wrote:
My bad I didn't read the UIUC above. That info is for IOWA, not Illinois. Illinois you can qualify for in-state after the first year, Iowa blows that way.

This is false, you cannot qualify for in-state after the first year for Illinois. Not unless you buy a house, or marry someone, at least. This is the way that I understood it when I talked to finaid at Illinois (I visited when I was at UIUC early in the fall semester).

So by false you mean, correct under circumstances. Point taken. It is easier at Illinois than Iowa, trust me.

What do you have to pull off to gain residency in Iowa? hah

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:31 pm

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Go the facts section to have your heart broken.

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:33 pm

For those reasons it is $20K/Year + or bust for me. There is no way I am staying in Iowa post law school, and no way I am paying sticker for 3 years.

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:52 pm

Well thats painful.

Here's to hoping for an Indiana acceptance with some scholly money.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:10 pm

In by email! 165/3.6, submitted a week or so before christmas.

realworldescapee

Postby realworldescapee » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:07 pm

Padimud wrote:
Baylan wrote:
Padimud wrote:
My bad I didn't read the UIUC above. That info is for IOWA, not Illinois. Illinois you can qualify for in-state after the first year, Iowa blows that way.

This is false, you cannot qualify for in-state after the first year for Illinois. Not unless you buy a house, or marry someone, at least. This is the way that I understood it when I talked to finaid at Illinois (I visited when I was at UIUC early in the fall semester).

So by false you mean, correct under circumstances. Point taken. It is easier at Illinois than Iowa, trust me.

It is actually quite difficult to gain residency in Illinois if you are trying to do so just for educational purposes. You'd have to have a one year old driver's license (or ID card); if you own a car, it has to be licensed registered and insured in IL for one year; and the real kicker, you have to file and pay taxes in IL for an amount equal to one-half a year's expenses (aka tuition). Tuition is 33,000 for residents so you'd have to earn 16,500 dollars to gain residency. I don't see anyone making that money when they are a full time student so I would say that it is virtually impossible to gain residency. I got this info directly from the financial aid office. The high cost of Illinois compared to what I'm looking to pay for similar schools really drove me away.

Now if Iowa will ever get around to offering some partial scholarship offers, then I'd consider it. But right now, Iowa isn't worth full price when I have scholly offers from similarly ranked schools or better.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:23 pm

Padimud wrote:Go the facts section to have your heart broken.

I just want to second what Padimud has been saying about getting Instate in Iowa. I attended Iowa State University, and the state laws for Iowa are written in such a way that it is next to impossible to get instate residency coming in as an Out of State student.

The only successful ways I know of are:
1) Receive VA Benefits (but this works only for Undergrad and does not transfer to Graduate)
2) Have a spouse that works as a Graduate assistant for the University
3) Become a Graduate assistant
4) Be on military orders in Iowa, or be the dependent of someone on military orders in Iowa
5) Reside in Iowa for 12 full months, were you may not be a student at more than half time status for any of those 12 months.

5 is permanent. 2,3,4 all revert back to Out of State after the position expires. 1 only works for undergrad and will not carry over to Graduate school.

Mortgage, property, voting, taxes, license plates and driving licenses do not establish residency for Educational purposes. You will be a resident for Tax purposes (have to pay state tax on income), but you will not be a resident for Tuition purposes.

There is some evidence that if you are hired by an Iowan employer in your last year, you may get instate for your last semester.

So, if you are out of state do NOT count on getting in state tuition.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:33 pm

CyLaw wrote:

I just want to second what Padimud has been saying about getting Instate in Iowa. I attended Iowa State University, and the state laws for Iowa are written in such a way that it is next to impossible to get instate residency coming in as an Out of State student.

1) Receive VA Benefits (but this works only for Undergrad and does not transfer to Graduate)
4) Be on military orders in Iowa, or be the dependent of someone on military orders in Iowa
5) Reside in Iowa for 12 full months, were you may not be a student at more than half time status for any of those 12 months.

5 is permanent. 2,3,4 all revert back to Out of State after the position expires. 1 only works for undergrad and will not carry over to Graduate school.

Mortgage, property, voting, taxes, license plates and driving licenses do not establish residency for Educational purposes. You will be a resident for Tax purposes (have to pay state tax on income), but you will not be a resident for Tuition purposes.

There is some evidence that if you are hired by an Iowan employer in your last year, you may get instate for your last semester.

I suppose you could defer for a year and move to Iowa for a year.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:34 pm

robin600 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

I suppose you could defer for a year and move to Iowa for a year.

Yep. That would do it. But I imagine that is true of every state.

thepcv

Postby thepcv » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:22 pm

CyLaw wrote:

The only successful ways I know of are:[...]
[...]

this seems to be the key. From what I've (recently) been researching, if you become an RA/TA, you're pretty much automatically given instate tuition (for 2L/3L). From what I've heard, priority for these positions is given to OOS students. Does that mean that you'd be a lock for an RA/TA position? Not in the slightest. But the rumor I've heard from Iowa students is that if you're really wanting one, it's not terribly difficult to get.

As always, I encourage you you to get more information (and do more research) before relying on what I or anyone else on TLS says, but this seems to be pretty accurate AFAIK.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:30 pm

thepcv wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

The only successful ways I know of are:[...]
[...]

this seems to be the key. From what I've (recently) been researching, if you become an RA/TA, you're pretty much automatically given instate tuition (for 2L/3L). From what I've heard, priority for these positions is given to OOS students. Does that mean that you'd be a lock for an RA/TA position? Not in the slightest. But the rumor I've heard from Iowa students is that if you're really wanting one, it's not terribly difficult to get.

As always, I encourage you you to get more information (and do more research) before relying on what I or anyone else on TLS says, but this seems to be pretty accurate AFAIK.

Ok so I called the office of admissions about scholarship info this time speaking to Mr. Byrd the head honcho. Anyways he said I was nominated for a scholly and would find out by 3/15 if I got one. I told him that the lady I spoke with earlier told me that I wasn't eligible and that no more money was coming out. He said that's not true. So if you want to know if you've been nominated for a scholly I wouldn't recommend calling the admissions office and relying just on the assistant's information, I'd talk with Mr. Byrd directly. Sorry for the confusion guys, it seems their admissions office is having a bit of a communication issue with the financial aid/scholly people.

Undergradut

Postby Undergradut » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:48 am

Does anybody else think that the report of a 62% increase of applications by the end of the Fall has proven to be of little significance?

Based on LSN, I don't see any real evidence of an overall increase of applications or in selectivity. As for an overall increase, the number of applicants to Iowa on LSN seems on par with last year. And as far as selectivity goes, the graph for this year looks like previous years.

The increase in the fall could be explained away by applicants submitting their applications earlier this cycle, and that, by the end of the cycle, the overall increase in applications will be much more modest. And it could also mean that more applicants are spamming Iowa with their applications, having no real intention to go there, which means Iowa does not become much more selective.

daddymike

Postby daddymike » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:28 am

RA positions are easy to get.. so I wouldn't worry about the full price tag.

The tough part is getting to work under a prof you really like.

ASUTimmyD

Postby ASUTimmyD » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:33 am

I was accepted a while ago with a nice scholarship. Does anybody know if Iowa offers any kind of travel voucher to visit?

Snwboarder78

Postby Snwboarder78 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:18 am

Can you get RA positions outside of the law school as well? I know a few people at Wisconsin that do something like that to receive stipends and tuition payment for law school.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:38 pm

I called and asked about ASW and I guess it's Mar. 26. That seems a bit close to the deposit deadline but whatever.

I'm sure i'll be making the trip!

nateborland

Postby nateborland » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:54 pm

Hey, all. I applied back in December (LSAT report sent 12/17/2009) and received my ISIS credentials on December 27.

I saw that a number of applicants got notified last week - congrats!

I also saw a couple of people placed 'on hold' - did your ISIS admission decision change from 'In Progress' when you were placed on hold? I'm still sitting at 'In Progress' and it's making me nervous.

kkmae

Postby kkmae » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:17 pm

nateborland wrote:Hey, all. I applied back in December (LSAT report sent 12/17/2009) and received my ISIS credentials on December 27.

I also saw a couple of people placed 'on hold' - did your ISIS admission decision change from 'In Progress' when you were placed on hold? I'm still sitting at 'In Progress' and it's making me nervous.

I'm in the same boat as you....does it ever say whether you are complete or not? I never got an email or anything saying so.

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:29 pm

kkmae wrote:
nateborland wrote:Hey, all. I applied back in December (LSAT report sent 12/17/2009) and received my ISIS credentials on December 27.

I'm in the same boat as you....does it ever say whether you are complete or not? I never got an email or anything saying so.

No update on completion, and no update/change for being on hold in ISIS. It doesn't change until you are accepted/rejected, and even before that you will receive your decision via e-mail. Hope this helps.

nateborland

Postby nateborland » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:33 pm

It is certainly reassuring. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

kkmae

Postby kkmae » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:36 pm

Yeah, thanks! People who submitted around the same time as me have been starting to get decisions, I hope I get one soon.

nateborland

Postby nateborland » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:38 pm

kkmae wrote:Yeah, thanks! People who submitted around the same time as me have been starting to get decisions, I hope I get one soon.

Agreed! I keep hearing seeing scholarships people are getting... hope there's money left when I get reviewed. GPA 3.29, LSAT 159.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:32 pm

nateborland wrote:
kkmae wrote:Yeah, thanks! People who submitted around the same time as me have been starting to get decisions, I hope I get one soon.

Agreed! I keep hearing seeing scholarships people are getting... hope there's money left when I get reviewed. GPA 3.29, LSAT 159.

Usually scholarships go out two weeks after you've been accepted, but once you are accepted you can call and ask if you've been nominated and they will tell you. If you haven't heard anything by 3/15 then there's no scholly.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”