U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ILoveClowns8

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby ILoveClowns8 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:15 am

Congratulations, guys! :D

daddymike

Postby daddymike » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:20 am

Iowa 1L here,

Congrats to everyone that was accepted!
We just finished our first semester of law school and I can say that U Iowa has made it a very pleasant experience.
If anyone is wondering, there are plenty of East/West coast students here. I mention this in case anyone thinks they might feel out of place coming to the Midwest.

Anyhow, here's to good news for anyone trying to get in to Iowa!

D

ILoveClowns8

Postby ILoveClowns8 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:41 am

Thanks, Mike! Do you know much about OCI at Iowa, yet? I'm curious where a lot of the firms come from, several places I have seen show that some DC/NY firms are present.

daddymike

Postby daddymike » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:17 am

I received a whole bunch of "meet & greet" invitations for summer internships from Midwest firms. I haven't acted on any of them because I am looking to get into Public Service. As much as I'd like to help you, I am probably the wrong guy to ask about OCI. If I had to guess, though, I would say that there are more mid-atlantic firms than East coast firms, and probably more West coast firms than mid-atlantic. Hope that helps somewhat.

ILoveClowns8

Postby ILoveClowns8 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:38 am

It does help, thanks!

Prairie

Postby Prairie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:48 pm

for those of you who have been accepted this week, when did your application go complete? i took the december lsat but had already applied before the score was released, so i went complete right around the new year. iowa is my #2, so i am anxious to hear from them...

thanks,

p

tate033

Postby tate033 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:53 pm

12/2 for me.

Has anyone else lost their hawkid? I accidentally deleted the email with mine in it, fml.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:16 pm

tate033 wrote:12/2 for me.

you went complete 12/2? Do you mind providing numbers?

tate033

Postby tate033 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:28 pm

According to LSAC my report was sent on 12/2. I didn't receive the email from Iowa saying my app had been received until 12/15. 163/3.72

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:54 pm

tate033 wrote:According to LSAC my report was sent on 12/2. I didn't receive the email from Iowa saying my app had been received until 12/15. 163/3.72

Nice. My report was sent 12/4 and I got the "received" email 12/21 (login info came middle Dec.). My numbers are in the same ballpark so maybe my app is coming up!

BiddyPocket

Postby BiddyPocket » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:04 pm

tate033 wrote:12/2 for me.

Has anyone else lost their hawkid? I accidentally deleted the email with mine in it, fml.

yep, haha. Just call the helpdesk place....there's a link to it in one of the pages that say "forgot password" or something. I was able to reset mine.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:56 pm

Well, I sent mine out.

I don't know how much hope I should have. My numbers are probably borderline, but my LSAT is above last year's median -- which means there's always some chance. I have some distance from my GPA and better than average softs, so we will see. I'm also counting on boosting my LSAT by a point or two in February. Iowa's my second choice right now, so I'd be pretty stoked to get in.

BiddyPocket

Postby BiddyPocket » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:17 am

JCougar wrote:Well, I sent mine out.

I don't know how much hope I should have. My numbers are probably borderline, but my LSAT is above last year's median -- which means there's always some chance. I have some distance from my GPA and better than average softs, so we will see. I'm also counting on boosting my LSAT by a point or two in February. Iowa's my second choice right now, so I'd be pretty stoked to get in.

I wouldn't be too worried about your lsat. I'd be more concerned about the application as a whole. Iowa really seems to look at the whole picture for most of their applicants, according to their admissions policy. I got in with a 155 LSAT, so just have hope :)

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:34 am

I'm hoping to hear from Iowa today...I want my first T1 acceptance!

robin600

Postby robin600 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:35 am

Slimpee don't give up hope, it's coming!

Has anyone received scholly info since the new year?

MoS

Postby MoS » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:39 am

Does scholarship information come with the official (snail mail) acceptance letter, or later?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:40 am

MoS wrote:Does scholarship information come with the official (snail mail) acceptance letter, or later?

The previous scholarships sent out before the new year were in a separate mailing about 2-3 weeks after.

Edit: But I think all those where full rides, so partial scholarships might be being done differently.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:42 am

BiddyPocket wrote:

I wouldn't be too worried about your lsat. I'd be more concerned about the application as a whole. Iowa really seems to look at the whole picture for most of their applicants, according to their admissions policy. I got in with a 155 LSAT, so just have hope :)

It's not my LSAT I'm worried about there, it's my GPA. But I can't really improve that now. I do have a graduate degree and 3 years corporate WE though, and I worked a lot during undergrad, so I've given them a couple of reasons to take it lightly (hopefully).

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:52 am

I was told a few weeks ago from the Assistant Dean of Admissions, that those accepted in my group (12/01) would be receiving scholarship info during the week of January 15th. So according to that, I think some scholarships will be awarded this week.

thepcv

Postby thepcv » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:18 pm

BiddyPocket wrote:

+1

I was accepted with a full ride, and I'm sure it had nothing to do with my GPA/LSAT (3.08/163). Softs, experience, letters, etc. seem to go a long way at Iowa. Good luck!!

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:23 pm

Received my HawkID and password today :lol:

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:26 pm

thepcv wrote:
BiddyPocket wrote:

+1

I was accepted with a full ride, and I'm sure it had nothing to do with my GPA/LSAT (3.08/163). Softs, experience, letters, etc. seem to go a long way at Iowa. Good luck!!

I'm a living testament to that too. I'm impressed with their holistic approach to applicants with less than competitive scholarship numbers. Congrats to you and everyone else who's been recently accepted :)

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:51 pm

thepcv wrote:
BiddyPocket wrote:

+1

How did you get a full ride with those numbers? Looking at past cycles on LSN, it seems very unusual that someone with those numbers was even accepted. Are you a URM? Are you a resident? Did you cure a disease? :D

Congratulations on getting in and on the full ride. However, I'm personally not holding out much hope unless I raise my LSAT 3-4 points in Feb. I wanted to get my application out now, though, because the school advised apps to be sent out by this week, and I do think I will be able to increase my score by at least a few points. If I end up getting a 165 or 166, I don't want to be rushing at the last minute to send stuff out. Even though my LSAT is above median, the only people with my GPA who seem to have gotten in in the past are URMs or have a 165+ on the LSAT. Iowa is like the anti WUSTL/UIUC/Bloomington/Minnesota...they're definitely not median whores.

thepcv

Postby thepcv » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:10 pm

JCougar wrote:
thepcv wrote:
BiddyPocket wrote:

+1

How did you get a full ride with those numbers? Looking at past cycles on LSN, it seems very unusual that someone with those numbers was even accepted. Are you a URM? Are you a resident? Did you cure a disease? :D

Congratulations on getting in and on the full ride. However, I'm personally not holding out much hope unless I raise my LSAT 3-4 points in Feb. I wanted to get my application out now, though, because the school advised apps to be sent out by this week, and I do think I will be able to increase my score by at least a few points. If I end up getting a 165 or 166, I don't want to be rushing at the last minute to send stuff out. Even though my LSAT is above median, the only people with my GPA who seem to have gotten in in the past are URMs or have a 165+ on the LSAT. Iowa is like the anti WUSTL/UIUC/Bloomington/Minnesota...they're definitely not median whores.

I'm a Peace Corps volunteer. I also have a Master's in English and 7+ years of professional WE.

mshflyer

Postby mshflyer » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:05 pm

I received an e-mail from Iowa this morning saying that my app was being held for a second review.

Does anyone have any info about holds at Iowa? Do people normally get rejected or accepted with a held app?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”