U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
robin600

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby robin600 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Anybody know how the Iowa rep carries beyond the Midwest? (Not necessarily for biglaw, I'm looking at Public Interest). I'm looking at the DC area.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:42 pm

boo_pragmatism wrote:
robin600 wrote:Anybody know how the Iowa rep carries beyond the Midwest? (Not necessarily for biglaw, I'm looking at Public Interest). I'm looking at the DC area.

Not great.

Reasons?

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:38 pm

boo_pragmatism wrote:
robin600 wrote:
boo_pragmatism wrote:
robin600 wrote:Anybody know how the Iowa rep carries beyond the Midwest? (Not necessarily for biglaw, I'm looking at Public Interest). I'm looking at the DC area.

Not great.

Reasons?

Just not as reputable as competing schools. I mean, look at schools you have competing for spots in DC: Virginia, Georgetown, GW, and any other T14 that decides they want to work in DC. Let me be clear: I am not saying that Iowa is not a good school nor am I sayinng that heading to DC from there is going to be impossible. It will be very difficult.

Oh you're fine, I was just wanting to know your reasoning. Thanks for your input!

Postby 09042014 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:13 pm

TruckerD wrote:Got my scholarship letter today from Iowa. They are offering full ride, plus a paid research assistant position 2nd and 3rd years. I am very excited because this is the first offer I've gotten that goes beyond full scholarship. I almost certainly will be visiting Iowa City to check it out.

That's a great deal, but so are your numbers. You should be proud.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:41 pm

TruckerD wrote:Got my scholarship letter today from Iowa. They are offering full ride, plus a paid research assistant position 2nd and 3rd years. I am very excited because this is the first offer I've gotten that goes beyond full scholarship. I almost certainly will be visiting Iowa City to check it out.

Got the same letter today. Very excited about it. But can't make a move on it until I get the results of my GW ED app.

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:40 pm

CyLaw wrote:

Got the same letter today. Very excited about it. But can't make a move on it until I get the results of my GW ED app.

Congrats, man! I'm the last person to question anybody's choice in schools, but why GW ED?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:52 pm

boo_pragmatism wrote:
TruckerD wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

Congrats, man! I'm the last person to question anybody's choice in schools, but why GW ED?

GW's ed= acceptance+full ride. Its actually a pretty competetive early decision.

Yep. This. Full Ride in DC with strong IP program matches my life goals of trying to do public interest law related to digital rights and liberties.

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:15 am

CyLaw wrote:
Yep. This. Full Ride in DC with strong IP program matches my life goals of trying to do public interest law related to digital rights and liberties.

That's cool. I hope you get in! I felt like there are other schools I have seen you get in to that I would put ahead of GW, but of course that is why everyone is different, and obviously the specific programs are very important. Good luck. Happy Holidays!

pizzaface

Postby pizzaface » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:29 am

For those who have received the full ride + paid research positions: Is that dependent on maintaining a certain GPA/class rank?

Thanks ahead of time.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:35 am

pizzaface wrote:For those who have received the full ride + paid research positions: Is that dependent on maintaining a certain GPA/class rank?

Thanks ahead of time.

At least for mine, yes. Top Third.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:37 am

TruckerD wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

That's cool. I hope you get in! I felt like there are other schools I have seen you get in to that I would put ahead of GW, but of course that is why everyone is different, and obviously the specific programs are very important. Good luck. Happy Holidays!

Thanks. Yeah, I am trying not to get too excited about Cornell and Vanderbilt right now until I know the outcome of the ED. If I get it, I will be happy with my decision. If I don't, I have plenty of options, including this very nice offer from Iowa.

Well Bye all. Need to finish getting ready for my trip out of country. See ya'll in two weeks.

cojonelso

Postby cojonelso » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:22 am

If you don't mind me asking how many hours does the research position require and what is the compensation like? Thanks!

pizzaface

Postby pizzaface » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:13 am

CyLaw wrote:
pizzaface wrote:For those who have received the full ride + paid research positions: Is that dependent on maintaining a certain GPA/class rank?

Thanks ahead of time.

At least for mine, yes. Top Third.

Anyone have any idea if Iowa is known for section-stacking these scholarships?

Eazy E

Postby Eazy E » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Rejected via snail mail 12/19. In-state, 170/3.7, 2 misdemeanors. Suprised at the ding, but I've had enough Iowa for one lifetime :D

Got a Georgetown acceptance to kill the pain, GL to everyone

Postby 09042014 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:07 pm

Eazy E wrote:Rejected via snail mail 12/19. In-state, 170/3.7, 2 misdemeanors. Suprised at the ding, but I've had enough Iowa for one lifetime :D

Got a Georgetown acceptance to kill the pain, GL to everyone

Must have been the misdemeanors?!? Otherwise that makes no sense. Good job on the GTown acceptance.

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:46 pm

From last year's Iowa thread and for those of us on hold:

[quote="kollegekid"]So I talked to admissions yesterday via email because I am on hold and I was curious about the whole on hold process, and they basically told me that nobody before April 1st comes off the hold list, in rare instances they do, and after April 1st everyone is moved to the waiting list. After April they go through the waitlist and "cut it down"(rejections) and then later on possibly even as late as May they take approximately 10-15 people of the waitlist. The point being that it is a long process as they have to wait for applicants to withdraw and to see the applicant pool. UGGGG. I hope this answers a few questions for those of us on hold.

Also, supposedly almost everyone gets put on hold. Here is last year's hold e-mail. I'd assume things are pretty much the same this year:

"Dear Mr. ******:

We appreciate your continuing interest in The University of Iowa College of Law.

The Admissions Committee has completed its initial review of your application for admission to the College of Law. We have decided to place your file in the hold decision category. This is a category in which we place applications that have impressive records, and that we are interested in holding on to, at this time. In addition, we want to see how the rest of the application pool develops before we make a final decision on the hold decision files.

Approximately 50% of all applications for admission are placed in the hold decision category.

One final note: There is very little that we will be able to tell you about the status of your file, since the quality and quantity of the applicant pool, and yield rates for admitted applicants, will have an impact on the final admission decisions. On the other hand, you should feel free to send any new information or updates about yourself. All we ask is that the information you send to us be something new or different from what we already have in your file, and will shed a new or unique light on your application for admission.

Once again, we appreciate your interest in The University of Iowa College of Law. We will be in touch with you as soon as a final decision has been made.

Sincerely,

Collins B. Byrd, Jr.

Assistant Dean of Admissions"

From this hold, most are moved on to the waitlist with a very few getting accepted before April 1st. From what it says in the other thread, approx. 10-15 people from this hold/WL ordeal get in. Adding onto the waitlist those who went straight to the waitlist, you're looking at an approximately .8-1% chance of acceptance off the waitlist. I think we're as good as toast.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

robin600

Postby robin600 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:12 am

adonai wrote:From last year's Iowa thread and for those of us on hold:

kollegekid wrote:So I talked to admissions yesterday via email because I am on hold and I was curious about the whole on hold process, and they basically told me that nobody before April 1st comes off the hold list, in rare instances they do, and after April 1st everyone is moved to the waiting list. After April they go through the waitlist and "cut it down"(rejections) and then later on possibly even as late as May they take approximately 10-15 people of the waitlist. The point being that it is a long process as they have to wait for applicants to withdraw and to see the applicant pool. UGGGG. I hope this answers a few questions for those of us on hold.

Also, supposedly almost everyone gets put on hold. Here is last year's hold e-mail. I'd assume things are pretty much the same this year:

"Dear Mr. ******:

We appreciate your continuing interest in The University of Iowa College of Law.

The Admissions Committee has completed its initial review of your application for admission to the College of Law. We have decided to place your file in the hold decision category. This is a category in which we place applications that have impressive records, and that we are interested in holding on to, at this time. In addition, we want to see how the rest of the application pool develops before we make a final decision on the hold decision files.

Approximately 50% of all applications for admission are placed in the hold decision category.

One final note: There is very little that we will be able to tell you about the status of your file, since the quality and quantity of the applicant pool, and yield rates for admitted applicants, will have an impact on the final admission decisions. On the other hand, you should feel free to send any new information or updates about yourself. All we ask is that the information you send to us be something new or different from what we already have in your file, and will shed a new or unique light on your application for admission.

Once again, we appreciate your interest in The University of Iowa College of Law. We will be in touch with you as soon as a final decision has been made.

Sincerely,

Collins B. Byrd, Jr.

Assistant Dean of Admissions"

From this hold, most are moved on to the waitlist with a very few getting accepted before April 1st. From what it says in the other thread, approx. 10-15 people from this hold/WL ordeal get in. Adding onto the waitlist those who went straight to the waitlist, you're looking at an approximately .8-1% chance of acceptance off the waitlist. I think we're as good as toast.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

if this is similar to what UIUC hold category is like I'm gonna cry!

Postby 09042014 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:38 am

Just withdrew my acceptance. Room for another splitter. Good luck everyone.

sckon

Postby sckon » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:43 pm

Got my scholly info. Full ride with research assistant position.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:23 pm

sckon wrote:Got my scholly info. Full ride with research assistant position.

Congratulations!!! :mrgreen:

EDIT: Have you still not heard anything from Minnesota? :?

sckon

Postby sckon » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:45 pm

tamlyric wrote:

Congratulations!!! :mrgreen:

EDIT: Have you still not heard anything from Minnesota? :?

Thanks! and no. I went under review again on the 17th for the third time. I hope to hear this week.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:35 am

how long did it take you to get your scholarship info?? We have similar numbers, I hopes I get something. Does anybody know if Iowa is generous with schollys or is it like full ride or nothing?

sckon

Postby sckon » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:10 pm

robin600 wrote:

how long did it take you to get your scholarship info?? We have similar numbers, I hopes I get something. Does anybody know if Iowa is generous with schollys or is it like full ride or nothing?

About 2 weeks. Showed up just in a regular envelope. Iowa can be somewhat generous from what I gather.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:53 pm

sckon wrote:
robin600 wrote:

About 2 weeks. Showed up just in a regular envelope. Iowa can be somewhat generous from what I gather.

sweet! Me and you are in the same boat with UMN too! Would you take UMN with little or no money over Iowa full ride?

sckon

Postby sckon » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:57 pm

robin600 wrote:
sckon wrote:
robin600 wrote:

sweet! Me and you are in the same boat with UMN too! Would you take UMN with little or no money over Iowa full ride?

right now ND>the rest

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”