U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
scribelaw

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby scribelaw » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:53 pm

robin600 wrote:JUST GOT THE EMAIL ACCEPTED AT IOWA!!!!!!!!! Is scholly info in the letter they mail you or if I didn't hear I didn't get anything?

Congrats!

When did you apply?

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:54 pm

robin600 wrote:JUST GOT THE EMAIL ACCEPTED AT IOWA!!!!!!!!! Is scholly info in the letter they mail you or if I didn't hear I didn't get anything?

Congrats, Robin! Hope this is one of many acceptances for you :)

robin600

Postby robin600 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:54 pm

scribelaw wrote:

Congrats!

When did you apply?

Mid november I think the 10th. 163/3.65

robin600

Postby robin600 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:56 pm

JOThompson wrote:

So excited!!! Thanks it's my first acceptance! Anybody know when scholly info comes? I think we have similar stats JOThompson, I'm 163/3.65 what are you? Also when did you hear from UMN?

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:00 pm

robin600 wrote:
JOThompson wrote:

So excited!!! Thanks it's my first acceptance! Anybody know when scholly info comes? I think we have similar stats JOThompson, I'm 163/3.65 what are you? Also when did you hear from UMN?

I heard from UMN on the 8th. I'm 159/3.74 with perhaps unusual softs. I think you have a much better shot than I did. Hope you get that call from Nick Wallace soon

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:06 pm

Congrats. No, scholarship info is supposed to be sent separately. Haven't heard anything regarding it yet on my end.
Last edited by CyLaw on Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:10 pm

Scholarship letters are sent 2-3 weeks after acceptance letters.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:19 pm

Did anybody else get a second mailing after the initial acceptance letter, which contained stuff about deposits and health services?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:23 pm

tamlyric wrote:Did anybody else get a second mailing after the initial acceptance letter, which contained stuff about deposits and health services?

Yea I got it yesterday. I opened it hoping for a scholarship info. No such luck.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
tamlyric wrote:Did anybody else get a second mailing after the initial acceptance letter, which contained stuff about deposits and health services?

Yea I got it yesterday. I opened it hoping for a scholarship info. No such luck.

Ha! Me too. I was a little sad and perplexed. :( :?

Glad to know I am in good company.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:29 pm

+1 I think at the end of last week

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:32 pm

So for all of you accepted and wondering about scholarship you can choose now to stay in state of ignorance or accept this as a general response that might fit your mold as well. Having been accepted two weeks ago I e-mailed them this morning about their scholarship policy. This was their reply. . .

You were sent to the Scholarship Committee shortly after being accepted and I am sorry to inform you that you have not been nominated for a scholarship at this time. Should there be an excess amount of funds after the application cycle, the Scholarship Committee will go through those who did not receive scholarships and begin awarding at that time. However, at this point you should make your decision based upon your current financial situation.

Having numbers around 75% in both categories. Do I chalk this up to YP, or just a cold response?

Good luck to everyone else. . . Sticker for Iowa is not a likely possibility for me.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:34 pm

Padimud wrote:So for all of you accepted and wondering about scholarship you can choose now to stay in state of ignorance or accept this as a general response that might fit your mold as well. Having been accepted two weeks ago I e-mailed them this morning about their scholarship policy. This was their reply. . .

You were sent to the Scholarship Committee shortly after being accepted and I am sorry to inform you that you have not been nominated for a scholarship at this time. Should there be an excess amount of funds after the application cycle, the Scholarship Committee will go through those who did not receive scholarships and begin awarding at that time. However, at this point you should make your decision based upon your current financial situation.

Having numbers around 75% in both categories. Do I chalk this up to YP, or just a cold response?

Good luck to everyone else. . . Sticker for Iowa is not a likely possibility for me.

WTF? Do they want to guarantee that you don't go to Iowa?

sckon

Postby sckon » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:35 pm

Crickey

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:41 pm

Padimud wrote:So for all of you accepted and wondering about scholarship you can choose now to stay in state of ignorance or accept this as a general response that might fit your mold as well. Having been accepted two weeks ago I e-mailed them this morning about their scholarship policy. This was their reply. . .

OMG! Are you serious? I can't believe this. :shock: (Sorry Padimud. Maybe an LOCI would help?)

EDIT: I thought they gave out loads of $$$. This is relatively concerning.

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm

tamlyric wrote:

OMG! Are you serious? I can't believe this. :shock: (Sorry Padimud. Maybe an LOCI would help?)

EDIT: I thought they gave out loads of $$$. This is relatively concerning.

I was under the same impression that $$$ was not a huge concern. Having had a professor there push me to apply and his almost guarantee that substantial money would be the response. . . This came as a blow especially as Iowa was in the running so long as they went half with me. I think they are overly optimistic of the students they will end up having matriculate. All I know is a cold acceptance letter, and a cold response for scholarships has sucked the warm and fuzzy feeling I had after the forum and subsequent e-mails with a member of their faculty.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:00 pm

JOThompson wrote:
robin600 wrote:
JOThompson wrote:

I heard from UMN on the 8th. I'm 159/3.74 with perhaps unusual softs. I think you have a much better shot than I did. Hope you get that call from Nick Wallace soon

yay I have unusual softs too (8 surgeries for blindness, then 4.0 every semester after). Your acceptance gives me hope! Keep me posted with the rest of your cycle!! I got the email at 11am today if anyone was wondering.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:01 pm

webbylu87 wrote:Scholarship letters are sent 2-3 weeks after acceptance letters.

Thanks! I'm guessing they won't send it out for awhile.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:02 pm

YP all the way.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:06 pm

boo_pragmatism wrote:
robin600 wrote:YP all the way.

He's already in, YP doesn't apply here.

Yeah, it is actually the opposite of YP. They accepted him and are trying their best to make sure he doesn't attend.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:06 pm

boo_pragmatism wrote:
robin600 wrote:YP all the way.

He's already in, YP doesn't apply here.

It kind of does, they know his numbers are good enough to get him in at better schools and therefore he will likely not attend iowa, they're not going to waste scholly money like that if his numbers are extremely high. YP on the scholly accepts i guess!

Come up with a better word? I can't think of one.

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:08 pm

My interest was really high, but between the two pieces of correspondence in the last couple weeks I have almost lost desire to care.

Boo & CyLaw: As your numbers are well beyond Iowa's radar, keep me posted if they give you the cold shoulder as well.
Last edited by Padimud on Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:10 pm

boo_pragmatism wrote:
Padimud wrote:Boo: As your numbers are well beyond Iowa's radar, keep me posted if they give you the cold shoulder as well.

Will do. FWIW: I'm sorry.

+1

robin600

Postby robin600 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:10 pm

Padimud wrote:My interest was really high, but between the two pieces of correspondence in the last couple weeks I have almost lost desire to care.

Boo: As your numbers are well beyond Iowa's radar, keep me posted if they give you the cold shoulder as well.

I bet if you call right now and speak with the dean of admissions and tell them that you want to go there 100% but because of them giving you the cold shoulder and no scholly money is making you lose interest they will give you a scholly over the phone. 5 bucks (well if I had 5 bucks) says it will!

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:17 pm

robin600 wrote:
Padimud wrote:My interest was really high, but between the two pieces of correspondence in the last couple weeks I have almost lost desire to care.

Boo: As your numbers are well beyond Iowa's radar, keep me posted if they give you the cold shoulder as well.

I bet if you call right now and speak with the dean of admissions and tell them that you want to go there 100% but because of them giving you the cold shoulder and no scholly money is making you lose interest they will give you a scholly over the phone. 5 bucks (well if I had 5 bucks) says it will!

Could also stick a sign over my neck that reads, Hi I have no self dignity and would like to beg for your consideration. I will pass, I have other offers. . . although not a place for a LOCI I may attempt to e-mail something that states clearly my interest.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”