U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
MoS
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby MoS » Thu May 06, 2010 7:07 pm

vlienj24 wrote:Withdrew from Iowa today, in-state at UW is a much better deal! I hope this helps those of you who are waiting it out on the wait list!


Good Luck at UW. Wisconsin or Washington?

lsatClay
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:15 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby lsatClay » Fri May 07, 2010 3:26 am

Anyone get the Merit Scholarship?

User avatar
MoS
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby MoS » Fri May 07, 2010 9:26 am

lsatClay wrote:Anyone get the Merit Scholarship?

Like new people, or just in general. If in general, yes. I don't know about people who initially did not get any money, or people off the waitlist.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby traehekat » Fri May 07, 2010 1:24 pm

MoS wrote:
lsatClay wrote:Anyone get the Merit Scholarship?

Like new people, or just in general. If in general, yes. I don't know about people who initially did not get any money, or people off the waitlist.


Another person on here just turned down a full ride to Iowa a few days ago. Where is this money GOING?

User avatar
MoS
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby MoS » Fri May 07, 2010 1:41 pm

traehekat wrote:
MoS wrote:
lsatClay wrote:Anyone get the Merit Scholarship?

Like new people, or just in general. If in general, yes. I don't know about people who initially did not get any money, or people off the waitlist.


Another person on here just turned down a full ride to Iowa a few days ago. Where is this money GOING?

I wouldn't be surprised if they calculate that a certain number of students will turn down the money so they have to let a few scholarships go before they have money to reallocate. Also, they are facing budget cuts like any other state university so they might be saving it if they think they can get the yield and numbers they want without using it.

Also, there was a thread where a wailist person was asked if they would attend if they got off the waitlist. She had a great LSAT and a blah GPA, and she asked Dean Byrd she would need financial aid and his response, reportedly, was that they could offer her a very attractive aid package. So the money might be going to poaching students off the waitlist with numbers, or a number they want.

lsatClay
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:15 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby lsatClay » Fri May 07, 2010 2:29 pm

Thats pretty much exactly what happened with me. Great LSAT, decent GPA. Was asked about probability of attending, asked about financial aid and recieved the same reply. So they might be looking for LSAT scores off the waitlist.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby JCougar » Fri May 07, 2010 2:57 pm

lsatClay wrote:Thats pretty much exactly what happened with me. Great LSAT, decent GPA. Was asked about probability of attending, asked about financial aid and recieved the same reply. So they might be looking for LSAT scores off the waitlist.


Crap...maybe I shouldn't have withdrawn from the waitlist.

sconnielaw13
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby sconnielaw13 » Fri May 07, 2010 4:34 pm

MoS wrote:
vlienj24 wrote:Withdrew from Iowa today, in-state at UW is a much better deal! I hope this helps those of you who are waiting it out on the wait list!


Good Luck at UW. Wisconsin or Washington?


Wisconsin, just got in off the wait list on Wednesday!

sebastian0622
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby sebastian0622 » Fri May 07, 2010 5:19 pm

I had a pedestrian GPA and high 160's LSAT and received a late full-ride. So yeah, they're probably looking for 165+ LSATs right now.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby JCougar » Fri May 07, 2010 5:21 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:I had a pedestrian GPA and high 160's LSAT and received a late full-ride. So yeah, they're probably looking for 165+ LSATs right now.


Can you define "pedestrian GPA"?

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Regionality » Fri May 07, 2010 5:33 pm

Does anyone know if I have a chance at negotiating some money from Iowa? Accepted with 163 / 3.64. I have my deposit down but am by no means 100% committed at this point. What do people think is the best strategy for getting some $?

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Slimpee » Fri May 07, 2010 5:36 pm

Regionality wrote:Does anyone know if I have a chance at negotiating some money from Iowa? Accepted with 163 / 3.64. I have my deposit down but am by no means 100% committed at this point. What do people think is the best strategy for getting some $?


Im in your boat with a slightly higher LSAT and slightly lower GPA. I'll be pissed if you get money and I don't.

If I get of the WL at my top choice i'll see if i can use that with Iowa...

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Regionality » Fri May 07, 2010 5:42 pm

Slimpee wrote:
Regionality wrote:Does anyone know if I have a chance at negotiating some money from Iowa? Accepted with 163 / 3.64. I have my deposit down but am by no means 100% committed at this point. What do people think is the best strategy for getting some $?


Im in your boat with a slightly higher LSAT and slightly lower GPA. I'll be pissed if you get money and I don't.

If I get of the WL at my top choice i'll see if i can use that with Iowa...


When I visited there they told me that I had been "nominated" for a partial scholarship but that the well had pretty much dried up. They "assured" me that I would continue to be considered for merit money even after I deposit...ie don't ask. But there can't be any harm in asking again. All they can say is no.

Are you an out of stater? If so, are you expecting to be an RA your 2nd and 3rd year?

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Slimpee » Fri May 07, 2010 5:45 pm

Regionality wrote:
Are you an out of stater? If so, are you expecting to be an RA your 2nd and 3rd year?


Yes and yes. I'm now beginning to regret not going with WI, though, w/ the guaranteed 28k tuition instead of the 41k and then lower 20'sk w/ a RA...

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Regionality » Fri May 07, 2010 5:46 pm

Slimpee wrote:
Regionality wrote:
Are you an out of stater? If so, are you expecting to be an RA your 2nd and 3rd year?


Yes and yes. I'm now beginning to regret not going with WI, though, w/ the guaranteed 28k tuition instead of the 41k and then lower 20'sk w/ a RA...


You're saying you were guaranteed 28k tuition at WI? They gave you money or is that MN reciprocity rates?

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Slimpee » Fri May 07, 2010 5:55 pm

Regionality wrote:
Slimpee wrote:
Regionality wrote:
Are you an out of stater? If so, are you expecting to be an RA your 2nd and 3rd year?


Yes and yes. I'm now beginning to regret not going with WI, though, w/ the guaranteed 28k tuition instead of the 41k and then lower 20'sk w/ a RA...


You're saying you were guaranteed 28k tuition at WI? They gave you money or is that MN reciprocity rates?


MN reciprocity. Dammit, i think i'm a moron

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Regionality » Fri May 07, 2010 5:59 pm

Slimpee wrote:
Regionality wrote:
Slimpee wrote:
Regionality wrote:
Are you an out of stater? If so, are you expecting to be an RA your 2nd and 3rd year?


Yes and yes. I'm now beginning to regret not going with WI, though, w/ the guaranteed 28k tuition instead of the 41k and then lower 20'sk w/ a RA...


You're saying you were guaranteed 28k tuition at WI? They gave you money or is that MN reciprocity rates?


MN reciprocity. Dammit, i think i'm a moron


41k + 22k + 22k = 85k

28k + 28k + 28k = 84k

Assuming that each of the rates rise at approx 5-10%/yr, you're looking at essentially a WASH. If you liked Iowa better then you shouldn't regret that decision at all....plus the RA positions are interesting and good experience. \

Why such regrets?

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Regionality » Fri May 07, 2010 6:03 pm

DUDE do you rock climb as well? I was browsing through your posts and saw you talking about Iowa's wall...do you know anything about it?? I heard they had one but didn't know how big it was. Do they change the routes often? What are the difficulty ranges?

It's low on the list...but it's one of the many reasons I am leaning toward Iowa and not Washington and Lee...W&L doesn't have any climbing options at all.

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Slimpee » Fri May 07, 2010 6:10 pm

Regionality wrote:
41k + 22k + 22k = 85k

28k + 28k + 28k = 84k

Assuming that each of the rates rise at approx 5-10%/yr, you're looking at essentially a WASH. If you liked Iowa better then you shouldn't regret that decision at all....plus the RA positions are interesting and good experience. \

Why such regrets?


Your math is actually my exact reasoning. I'm just a bit worried that i'm hanging my hat on getting a RA position...which certainly isn't guaranteed (although easy according to everyone at ASD). Also, for some reason I just felt more comfortable at Iowa than I did at WI...i made the correct decision

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Regionality » Fri May 07, 2010 6:16 pm

Slimpee wrote:
Regionality wrote:
41k + 22k + 22k = 85k

28k + 28k + 28k = 84k

Assuming that each of the rates rise at approx 5-10%/yr, you're looking at essentially a WASH. If you liked Iowa better then you shouldn't regret that decision at all....plus the RA positions are interesting and good experience. \

Why such regrets?


Your math is actually my exact reasoning. I'm just a bit worried that i'm hanging my hat on getting a RA position...which certainly isn't guaranteed (although easy according to everyone at ASD). Also, for some reason I just felt more comfortable at Iowa than I did at WI...i made the correct decision


No, it isn't guaranteed, but I heard someone say that if you're silly enough to try to secure an RA position right before the semester, they go so far as to give you secretarial work to get in-state. Also, as has been pointed out to me before, there are more financial benefits to an RA position, such as the majority of our health insurance being paid for...saving a total of another few thousand dollars over the years.

Also, I learned from admins at Iowa that if you elect to study abroad that its obviously impossible to RA...but she also said that tuition rates for study abroad are completely different than "in state / out of state" rates. I haven't looked too much into this.

Oh and let's not forget the 7.25 / hr hourly wage!

We can use all these savings to go rock climbing in the mountainous regions of...oh shit, nevermind, we'd be in the midwest.

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Slimpee » Fri May 07, 2010 6:31 pm

Regionality wrote:
No, it isn't guaranteed, but I heard someone say that if you're silly enough to try to secure an RA position right before the semester, they go so far as to give you secretarial work to get in-state. Also, as has been pointed out to me before, there are more financial benefits to an RA position, such as the majority of our health insurance being paid for...saving a total of another few thousand dollars over the years.

Also, I learned from admins at Iowa that if you elect to study abroad that its obviously impossible to RA...but she also said that tuition rates for study abroad are completely different than "in state / out of state" rates. I haven't looked too much into this.

Oh and let's not forget the 7.25 / hr hourly wage!

We can use all these savings to go rock climbing in the mountainous regions of...oh shit, nevermind, we'd be in the midwest.


Sweet, I didn't know a lot of that! I'll have to look into the study abroad tuition because i'd love to do that...i'll definitely be on the climbing wall if you need me (or the football field, or the golf course, or the mountain bike trail)...

sebastian0622
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby sebastian0622 » Fri May 07, 2010 6:37 pm

There might be some decent rock climbing options with a few hours of Iowa City, by the way. Dubuque and NE Iowa are hilly, and there are rocky areas with caves. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Dubuque had some options (I'd be surprised if it didn't, actually), plus maybe Decorah/Marquette. Maybe the Maquoketa Caves area?

Iowa is probably hillier than you think if you're not from there. There are some rolling hills east of Des Moines (around Newton), plus the beautiful (and much taller) hills of the NE corner of the state.

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Regionality » Fri May 07, 2010 6:39 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:There might be some decent rock climbing options with a few hours of Iowa City, by the way. Dubuque and NE Iowa are hilly, and there are rocky areas with caves. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Dubuque had some options (I'd be surprised if it didn't, actually), plus maybe Decorah/Marquette. Maybe the Maquoketa Caves area?

Iowa is probably hillier than you think if you're not from there. There are some rolling hills east of Des Moines (around Newton), plus the beautiful (and much taller) hills of the NE corner of the state.


Well if I end up in Iowa City in the fall then I would love to check all those options out...as well as the new climbing wall at the new gym! I'm not from Iowa, no...did live in Chicago for 5 years and the flatness was painful at times. Good to hear Iowa is more curvaceous... :-D

User avatar
Yacht_Party
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Yacht_Party » Fri May 07, 2010 9:08 pm

Regionality wrote:
41k + 22k + 22k = 85k

28k + 28k + 28k = 84k

Assuming that each of the rates rise at approx 5-10%/yr, you're looking at essentially a WASH. If you liked Iowa better then you shouldn't regret that decision at all....plus the RA positions are interesting and good experience. \

Why such regrets?


+1. I also did that same calculation, Slimpee (MN resident). Don't second-guess yourself.

User avatar
MoS
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby MoS » Fri May 07, 2010 10:20 pm

Regionality wrote:Does anyone know if I have a chance at negotiating some money from Iowa? Accepted with 163 / 3.64. I have my deposit down but am by no means 100% committed at this point. What do people think is the best strategy for getting some $?

Probably not, unless you have something unique and special. Those are right below the lowest numbers for a fullride from a traditional non urm student. It seems like Iowa decided against partials this year and is using what money they have from people turning down scholarships is going toward buying people off the waitlist.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ellielaw, hellohalo, ReadyToStart, reillyg and 19 guests