U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
MoS
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby MoS » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:38 pm

Is anybody else looking at The Lodge for housing? I was thinking if there were 2 or 4 of us we could all apply together and then we wouldn't have to worry that our roommates would not be sensitive to the life of a law student. If anyone is interested PM me.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby traehekat » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:54 pm

MoS wrote:Is anybody else looking at The Lodge for housing? I was thinking if there were 2 or 4 of us we could all apply together and then we wouldn't have to worry that our roommates would not be sensitive to the life of a law student. If anyone is interested PM me.


Like I said before, I have a number of reservations about The Lodge. Something that has been a little frustrating is the "management." Everyone I have talked to on the phones have been students, and I keep getting different stories on availability and whatnot. No one seems to be on the same page. The basketball court is cool, but kind of a gimmick. Like, how often are you really going to use that? Most of the amenities are really just for show - I couldn't see myself using them that much because they are just kind of crappy. The apartments themselves seem kind of cheap. It is kind of far from the law building, so unless you want to walk 30 minutes then you will probably want to drive or take the shuttle. Parking is kind of expensive (especially compared to Seville, where parking is included). The person who gave the tour admitted that break-ins in the parking lot were a problem too.

If you can get 4 people together though it may be worth the price (the 4 bedrooms weren't bad, as far as the layout goes, but I would imagine it could get cramped). I would just be wary. My thought is that first year grades are so important, and where you live and who you live with can make a big difference in your performance. I am just trying to minimize uncertainties by living alone and forgetting about the gimmick amenities and going with a building that looks safe, well built, and problem-free. Second and third year I would definitely be more open to living with other people (I'd actually prefer to live with someone, normally).

honestabe84
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby honestabe84 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:31 pm

I was about to make a new thread for this question, but I figured all of you would be the best to ask. What exactly is so great about Iowa? Why does US News rank it so high? It's ranked alongside great schools, and it seems out of place. I was just wondering what exactly I'm missing.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby traehekat » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:36 pm

honestabe84 wrote:I was about to make a new thread for this question, but I figured all of you would be the best to ask. What exactly is so great about Iowa? Why does US News rank it so high? It's ranked alongside great schools, and it seems out of place. I was just wondering what exactly I'm missing.


The strange thing about Iowa is not just that it is ranked high, but that it is ranked high with a relatively low median LSAT, in comparison to peer schools. I think what makes Iowa so great (and ultimately what makes up for the low LSAT median) is the outstanding library, a great faculty, a great legal writing program, and great clinical opportunities. Iowa also has a very good reputation throughout the Midwest.

honestabe84
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby honestabe84 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:41 pm

traehekat wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:I was about to make a new thread for this question, but I figured all of you would be the best to ask. What exactly is so great about Iowa? Why does US News rank it so high? It's ranked alongside great schools, and it seems out of place. I was just wondering what exactly I'm missing.


The strange thing about Iowa is not just that it is ranked high, but that it is ranked high with a relatively low median LSAT, in comparison to peer schools. I think what makes Iowa so great (and ultimately what makes up for the low LSAT median) is the outstanding library, a great faculty, a great legal writing program, and great clinical opportunities. Iowa also has a very good reputation throughout the Midwest.


Ok, so you could go to neighboring states and get a job?

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby traehekat » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:47 pm

honestabe84 wrote:
traehekat wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:I was about to make a new thread for this question, but I figured all of you would be the best to ask. What exactly is so great about Iowa? Why does US News rank it so high? It's ranked alongside great schools, and it seems out of place. I was just wondering what exactly I'm missing.


The strange thing about Iowa is not just that it is ranked high, but that it is ranked high with a relatively low median LSAT, in comparison to peer schools. I think what makes Iowa so great (and ultimately what makes up for the low LSAT median) is the outstanding library, a great faculty, a great legal writing program, and great clinical opportunities. Iowa also has a very good reputation throughout the Midwest.


Ok, so you could go to neighboring states and get a job?


Absolutely, in fact the majority of graduates go out of state after graduation. Iowa places well in markets like Chicago, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Omaha, Kansas City, and Milwaukee.

honestabe84
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby honestabe84 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:51 pm

traehekat wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:
traehekat wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:I was about to make a new thread for this question, but I figured all of you would be the best to ask. What exactly is so great about Iowa? Why does US News rank it so high? It's ranked alongside great schools, and it seems out of place. I was just wondering what exactly I'm missing.


The strange thing about Iowa is not just that it is ranked high, but that it is ranked high with a relatively low median LSAT, in comparison to peer schools. I think what makes Iowa so great (and ultimately what makes up for the low LSAT median) is the outstanding library, a great faculty, a great legal writing program, and great clinical opportunities. Iowa also has a very good reputation throughout the Midwest.


Ok, so you could go to neighboring states and get a job?


Absolutely, in fact the majority of graduates go out of state after graduation. Iowa places well in markets like Chicago, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Omaha, Kansas City, and Milwaukee.


Would you say that Iowa has a better reputation in these cities that some of their lower ranked local schools (i.e. Depaul, UMKC, SLU, etc.)?

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby traehekat » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:04 pm

honestabe84 wrote:Would you say that Iowa has a better reputation in these cities that some of their lower ranked local schools (i.e. Depaul, UMKC, SLU, etc.)?


Probably equal, maybe a little bit better. No one would say you are crazy for taking Loyola over Iowa if you want to work in Chicago, that's for sure.

User avatar
Xanadu
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:09 am

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Xanadu » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:20 pm

Hey everyone (possibly future classmates!)

I'm seriously consider Iowa for the fall. I am from California but went to UG in North Carolina. I visited Iowa last week (during a road trip dedicated to visiting law schools). I had a really good feeling about it, especially after talking to several really enthusiastic 1L's and taking a long tour with a current 3L. I was also impressed with the programs that the school offers, the RA program (I found out some current law students TA for undergrad classes in areas they might have majored in in UG...I, for example, could TA a spanish class). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about the kind of dismal looking law building. It just seemed like a tough place to spend hours and hours on end. Furthermore, I sat in on a constitutional law class and I was a little disappointed...especially because I had heard such great things about the faculty. He read from a book and had a kind of monotonous voice. On my tour of other schools I sat in on two other con law classes and I was sitting on the edge of my seat. I just want to know if anyone had really great experiences sitting in on other Iowa law classes...

And I wanted to address what someone said about being worried about making friends. I was contacted by a current 1L (from CA actually) a week after I was accepted (around Feb.) and when I visited Iowa she offered to meet me for coffee and introduce me to some of her friends. They all said that they came to school not knowing a single person and after a couple months, they felt a strong connection with not only the people in their section but the entire 1L class. Overall, they were really happy with their peers and felt supported by them.

Oh, I was also really intrigued with the Summer of Arts festival that Iowa hosts every summer.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby traehekat » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:34 pm

Xanadu wrote:Hey everyone (possibly future classmates!)

I'm seriously consider Iowa for the fall. I am from California but went to UG in North Carolina. I visited Iowa last week (during a road trip dedicated to visiting law schools). I had a really good feeling about it, especially after talking to several really enthusiastic 1L's and taking a long tour with a current 3L. I was also impressed with the programs that the school offers, the RA program (I found out some current law students TA for undergrad classes in areas they might have majored in in UG...I, for example, could TA a spanish class). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about the kind of dismal looking law building. It just seemed like a tough place to spend hours and hours on end. Furthermore, I sat in on a constitutional law class and I was a little disappointed...especially because I had heard such great things about the faculty. He read from a book and had a kind of monotonous voice. On my tour of other schools I sat in on two other con law classes and I was sitting on the edge of my seat. I just want to know if anyone had really great experiences sitting in on other Iowa law classes...

And I wanted to address what someone said about being worried about making friends. I was contacted by a current 1L (from CA actually) a week after I was accepted (around Feb.) and when I visited Iowa she offered to meet me for coffee and introduce me to some of her friends. They all said that they came to school not knowing a single person and after a couple months, they felt a strong connection with not only the people in their section but the entire 1L class. Overall, they were really happy with their peers and felt supported by them.

Oh, I was also really intrigued with the Summer of Arts festival that Iowa hosts every summer.


Whose class did you sit in on? I sat in on a Constitutional Law class on Friday with Professor Pettys and it was pretty interesting/engaging. (On a related note, is Constitutional Law like, the default class people sit it on?) I wouldn't worry about that one experience - everyone I have spoken to has said the professor at Iowa are great.

I actually don't think the building is that bad, but I have heard a few other people express dissatisfaction with it (including my parents). The floor housing the clinical program has been recently remodeled, I believe, and isn't too shabby. The classrooms really aren't bad, either.

As far as meeting people and making friends, I think the atmosphere at Iowa is pretty conducive to doing just that. Everyone seems very relaxed and willing to help each other out, and there are plenty of places on campus to get together and hang out.

nyskidude
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:05 am

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby nyskidude » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:03 am

For those who were waiting, I know that my financial aid loan totals were just posted on ISIS. Not sure if this is a universal thing or what, but just thought I would inform people.

User avatar
Jerome
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Jerome » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:32 am

nyskidude wrote:For those who were waiting, I know that my financial aid loan totals were just posted on ISIS. Not sure if this is a universal thing or what, but just thought I would inform people.

Ditto. About time, too.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about the kind of dismal looking law building. It just seemed like a tough place to spend hours and hours on end.


I initially felt the same way (I had just visited Loyola - Chicago, which has a newly remodeled building). However, with the quality of the faculty, the legal writing program, and the livability of Iowa City, I doubt the building will really effect you too much over the course of three years.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby JCougar » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:50 am

The way the law building looks would be the least of my concerns.

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby JOThompson » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:59 am

Jerome wrote:
nyskidude wrote:For those who were waiting, I know that my financial aid loan totals were just posted on ISIS. Not sure if this is a universal thing or what, but just thought I would inform people.

Ditto. About time, too.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about the kind of dismal looking law building. It just seemed like a tough place to spend hours and hours on end.


I initially felt the same way (I had just visited Loyola - Chicago, which has a newly remodeled building). However, with the quality of the faculty, the legal writing program, and the livability of Iowa City, I doubt the building will really effect you too much over the course of three years.

It's not the sexiest law building I visited, but the facilities/surroundings were decent and won't detract from my learning experience. Loyola LA though, I'd be in perpetual fear of getting mugged.

User avatar
Xanadu
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:09 am

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Xanadu » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:47 pm

The look of the building is the least of my concerns. There isn't much besides the building and that one con law class I sat in on that I am concerned about (I sat in on it on Tuesday April 6th). I'm pretty sure I want to come to Iowa in the fall but I just want to make sure I'm making the right choice! I also visited University of Denver and I was blown away by their building. They have strong ties to the legal community of Denver (I've considered Denver as a place I want to end up after school) but Iowa has a better national reputation and might mean a better job in Denver.

I'm torn between those two schools and also Case Western and Santa Clara (random I know...).

User avatar
Jerome
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Jerome » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:49 pm

Xanadu wrote:The look of the building is the least of my concerns. There isn't much besides the building and that one con law class I sat in on that I am concerned about (I sat in on it on Tuesday April 6th). I'm pretty sure I want to come to Iowa in the fall but I just want to make sure I'm making the right choice! I also visited University of Denver and I was blown away by their building. They have strong ties to the legal community of Denver (I've considered Denver as a place I want to end up after school) but Iowa has a better national reputation and might mean a better job in Denver.

I'm torn between those two schools and also Case Western and Santa Clara (random I know...).

I wouldn't bother with Denver. Unless you have a scholarship, it will likely cost more than Iowa, and Iowa will probably place as well, if not better, in Colorado.

User avatar
jaskat
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby jaskat » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:31 pm

Did anyone else get in-state tuition in their financial aid package when they are OOS? Is this some unannounced scholarship or did they simply make a mistake?

User avatar
Jerome
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Jerome » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:33 pm

jaskat wrote:Did anyone else get in-state tuition in their financial aid package when they are OOS? Is this some unannounced scholarship or did they simply make a mistake?

I wish I did. Call and ask?

User avatar
jaskat
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby jaskat » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:49 pm

Jerome wrote:
jaskat wrote:Did anyone else get in-state tuition in their financial aid package when they are OOS? Is this some unannounced scholarship or did they simply make a mistake?

I wish I did. Call and ask?


Just as I thought! It was too good to be true. :cry:

User avatar
dt22
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:25 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby dt22 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:06 pm

jaskat wrote:
Jerome wrote:
jaskat wrote:Did anyone else get in-state tuition in their financial aid package when they are OOS? Is this some unannounced scholarship or did they simply make a mistake?

I wish I did. Call and ask?


Just as I thought! It was too good to be true. :cry:


that's horrible.... it would've been a nice surprise.

User avatar
Undergradut
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:28 am

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Undergradut » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:54 pm

I wouldn't bother with Denver. Unless you have a scholarship, it will likely cost more than Iowa, and Iowa will probably place as well, if not better, in Colorado.


I don't buy it. A handful or less of Iowa Law graduates will take the bar in Colorado each year. Denver alums are dominant in the area. So, Denver has the stronger alumni network there. And partners in Colorado are not going to be so wooed by a Iowa Law degree that they're going to give that job applicant a bump over University of Denver. I'd go with Denver.

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Slimpee » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:37 pm

Paid my deposit today...

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby traehekat » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:48 pm

Slimpee wrote:Paid my deposit today...


Congrats man. I'm sending in my deposit to Wake today, and I am going to take another couple days to decide whether I want to deposit at Iowa. I think I will probably end up doing so, but sort of as a contingency plan in case I end up hating Wake for some reason when I visit.

User avatar
Jerome
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby Jerome » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:28 pm

Undergradut wrote:
I wouldn't bother with Denver. Unless you have a scholarship, it will likely cost more than Iowa, and Iowa will probably place as well, if not better, in Colorado.


I don't buy it. A handful or less of Iowa Law graduates will take the bar in Colorado each year. Denver alums are dominant in the area. So, Denver has the stronger alumni network there. And partners in Colorado are not going to be so wooed by a Iowa Law degree that they're going to give that job applicant a bump over University of Denver. I'd go with Denver.

Denver will cost as much as Iowa, with no opportunity of tuition reduction in later years outside of scholarships. Most out of state students at Iowa can cut their tuition in half their second and third years. Additionally, the cost of living in Iowa is less than that in Denver, so Iowa is surely the cheaper option, barring a good scholarship at Denver.

Iowa is also a better ranked school that consistently places graduates in CO, primarily in Denver. Their OCI and employment stats support this. While Denver will place more students in CO than Iowa, much of that has to do with a regional selection bias. Iowa will offer greater breadth in placement than Denver (Chicago, St. Louis, Twin Cities, etc.) and many students will take advantage of that.

Further, Iowa will likely open doors to better firms in Denver than a degree from Denver will. I admit that this is anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth: the firm in which I work, in CO, prefers to hire University of Colorado grads above all others. After that, they pretty much base hiring decisions on rankings. Larger firms are more likely to do the same (especially if they aren't based out of Denver but have large offices there) ie: Faegre Benson, Kutak Rock, Merchant, etc.

If costs matter, Iowa is clearly the better choice. If all you care about is working in Denver and costs don't matter at all, U Denver would get you a job in Denver, but a degree from Iowa likely will, too. And would probably place at a better firm as well.

slowdiver
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:17 pm

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby slowdiver » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:56 pm

Jerome wrote:
Undergradut wrote:
I wouldn't bother with Denver. Unless you have a scholarship, it will likely cost more than Iowa, and Iowa will probably place as well, if not better, in Colorado.


I don't buy it. A handful or less of Iowa Law graduates will take the bar in Colorado each year. Denver alums are dominant in the area. So, Denver has the stronger alumni network there. And partners in Colorado are not going to be so wooed by a Iowa Law degree that they're going to give that job applicant a bump over University of Denver. I'd go with Denver.

Denver will cost as much as Iowa, with no opportunity of tuition reduction in later years outside of scholarships. Most out of state students at Iowa can cut their tuition in half their second and third years. Additionally, the cost of living in Iowa is less than that in Denver, so Iowa is surely the cheaper option, barring a good scholarship at Denver.

Iowa is also a better ranked school that consistently places graduates in CO, primarily in Denver. Their OCI and employment stats support this. While Denver will place more students in CO than Iowa, much of that has to do with a regional selection bias. Iowa will offer greater breadth in placement than Denver (Chicago, St. Louis, Twin Cities, etc.) and many students will take advantage of that.

Further, Iowa will likely open doors to better firms in Denver than a degree from Denver will. I admit that this is anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth: the firm in which I work, in CO, prefers to hire University of Colorado grads above all others. After that, they pretty much base hiring decisions on rankings. Larger firms are more likely to do the same (especially if they aren't based out of Denver but have large offices there) ie: Faegre Benson, Kutak Rock, Merchant, etc.

If costs matter, Iowa is clearly the better choice. If all you care about is working in Denver and costs don't matter at all, U Denver would get you a job in Denver, but a degree from Iowa likely will, too. And would probably place at a better firm as well.


Just to sort of corroborate the above poster, Denver firms do OCI at Iowa regularly. One thing worth noting though: the attorney I interviewed with really wanted me to give a good reason to be in Denver or some other tie to Denver. I don't think "I love to ski" really cut it.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”