U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JOThompson

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Postby JOThompson » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:58 pm

Those reviews alarmed me at first, but my visit to Seville soothed some of those fears. The building seemed relatively clean and odor-free. Parking spots are supposedly assigned, according to the office. During the day, the apartments appeared mighty quiet. I'm sure that's not the case at night. The noise part might prove very annoying, and I just hope I have some neighbors who also value tranquility.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:56 am

Looks like I am heading back to IC on Friday for another tour, class visit, and apartment hunting. Barring Collins Byrd giving me a wedgie or something, I'm pretty sure I'll be depositing.

Anyone have any information on The Lodge, as far as housing goes? It looks awesome, but then I read reviews online and there is a consensus that the parking garage is unsafe (a lot of break ins), the walls are paper thin, the staff is unhelpful and composed of students, horrible mail service, there is a lack of hot water, and the electric keys break. Sounds like a nightmare, but looks so sweet online! I'll have to check it out on Friday, and I'll also take a look at Seville and some other places in the area.

MoS

Postby MoS » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:39 am

traehekat wrote:Looks like I am heading back to IC on Friday for another tour, class visit, and apartment hunting. Barring Collins Byrd giving me a wedgie or something, I'm pretty sure I'll be depositing.

Anyone have any information on The Lodge, as far as housing goes? It looks awesome, but then I read reviews online and there is a consensus that the parking garage is unsafe (a lot of break ins), the walls are paper thin, the staff is unhelpful and composed of students, horrible mail service, there is a lack of hot water, and the electric keys break. Sounds like a nightmare, but looks so sweet online! I'll have to check it out on Friday, and I'll also take a look at Seville and some other places in the area.

Haha. You know if its on the internet it has to be true. I say go for it.

dt22

Postby dt22 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:48 pm

JOThompson wrote:Those reviews alarmed me at first, but my visit to Seville soothed some of those fears. The building seemed relatively clean and odor-free. Parking spots are supposedly assigned, according to the office. During the day, the apartments appeared mighty quiet. I'm sure that's not the case at night. The noise part might prove very annoying, and I just hope I have some neighbors who also value tranquility.

+1.

visited, got the app, will live there....whatever..close, cheap-ish, works...will ask for 3rd floor (noise-wise).

PS. ON A BETTER NOTE: manana -> submitting my paperwork to quit the current job on July 16th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this feels so good.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:50 pm

dt22 wrote:
JOThompson wrote:Those reviews alarmed me at first, but my visit to Seville soothed some of those fears. The building seemed relatively clean and odor-free. Parking spots are supposedly assigned, according to the office. During the day, the apartments appeared mighty quiet. I'm sure that's not the case at night. The noise part might prove very annoying, and I just hope I have some neighbors who also value tranquility.

+1.

visited, got the app, will live there....whatever..close, cheap-ish, works...will ask for 3rd floor (noise-wise).

PS. ON A BETTER NOTE: manana -> submitting my paperwork to quit the current job on July 16th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this feels so good.

My app was approved a couple days ago. I'm hoping for a top level apartment too.

Congrats on your upcoming freedom from work. I can't wait to quit my retail position.

xeckosk8trx

Postby xeckosk8trx » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:34 pm

Hey everyone. I recently accepted admissions at the University of Iowa. I am coming all the way from Miami, FL. I have a few questions that maybe you all can help me out with.

1) What are the best/ nearest apartments to the Law School? (1 bed room studio)

2) Opinions on Seville?

3) Am I going to need my car up there?

4) How well does Iowa place in the Chicago legal market?

5) Outside of Law School, where do people usually hang out?

I would like to apologize in advance to those who are not interested in these questions and will likely make some kind of rude comment.

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:51 pm

You will want to bring your car if you have one. You might manage to live within walking distance of the law school, but public transportation and taxi service in any Iowa city other than Des Moines is spotty at best.

A lot of people hang out at the bar district called the Pedestrian Mall (or Ped Mall). Iowa City is a college town through and through, so most entertainment for young adults is based on drinking and undergrad sports. You can find other interesting stuff, but you'll have to try a bit harder. If you have your car, you can easily cruise to Des Moines, Chicago, St Louis, etc. from time to time to check out other stuff. Non-Iowans are amazed by how much there is to do in Des Moines, which is less than two hours from Iowa City.

U of Iowa places well in Chicago. It's Iowa's bread and butter market.

mshflyer

Postby mshflyer » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:45 am

Does anyone know anything about the community feel at Iowa? Are the students close-knit? I'm kind of getting freaked out about moving and knowing absolutely no one in iowa haha.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:53 am

mshflyer wrote:Does anyone know anything about the community feel at Iowa? Are the students close-knit? I'm kind of getting freaked out about moving and knowing absolutely no one in iowa haha.

The students I met were very friendly. I witnessed a unique sort of camaraderie at Iowa. I'm from the west coast and the idea of moving to the midwest, to a place that I have absolutely no previous connection, is a bit terrifying. However, I think the nice, sincere people I'm surrounded by will make it an easier transition.

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:57 am

JOThompson wrote:
mshflyer wrote:Does anyone know anything about the community feel at Iowa? Are the students close-knit? I'm kind of getting freaked out about moving and knowing absolutely no one in iowa haha.

The students I met were very friendly. I witnessed a unique sort of camaraderie at Iowa. I'm from the west coast and the idea of moving to the midwest, to a place that I have absolutely no previous connection, is a bit terrifying. However, I think the nice, sincere people I'm surrounded by will make it an easier transition.

+1

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:19 am

Have any non-scholarship applicants received their financial aid packets yet? I've been checking ISIS for two weeks, and it has said the same "check back in a day or two," every time.

MoS

Postby MoS » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:39 am

I think students in the same section are driven toward camaraderie. I wouldn't worry too much. I am not, and I am in the same boat as far as knowing no one. I feel like it will be more common than one would think.

dt22

Postby dt22 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:36 pm

Jerome wrote:Have any non-scholarship applicants received their financial aid packets yet? I've been checking ISIS for two weeks, and it has said the same "check back in a day or two," every time.

same

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:59 pm

dt22 wrote:
Jerome wrote:Have any non-scholarship applicants received their financial aid packets yet? I've been checking ISIS for two weeks, and it has said the same "check back in a day or two," every time.

same

ditto.

P.S. How does one defer undergrad loans ?

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:49 pm

jaskat wrote:
dt22 wrote:

same

ditto.

P.S. How does one defer undergrad loans ?

Contact your lender. You'll have to demonstrate you're enrolling in school.

mshflyer

Postby mshflyer » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:38 am

jaskat wrote:
JOThompson wrote:

+1

thanks for your responses guys. i'm excited that my future classmates are so awesome :)

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:40 pm

Waitlisted via snail mail. 2.95/168.

itsablessing

Postby itsablessing » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:54 pm

JCougar wrote:Waitlisted via snail mail. 2.95/168.

Me too. I seen on LSN where someone did get accepted today, but I thought the class was already over enrolled?

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:58 am

Fuck. They've clearly got all the high LSATs they need.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:04 am

lawschooliseasy wrote:

Fuck. They've clearly got all the high LSATs they need.

They don't really game the medians anyways. Their LSN profile shows a pretty solid diagonal line that implies they go by their GPA/LSAT index pretty religiously. Also, I applied in January, but didn't go complete until March because I did a February retake. But yeah, their class is definitely full right now. When you apply early and you are not an auto-admit, you just don't hear anything until they are sure they have a spot for you, but when you apply late, you get waitlisted.

Does anyone know when Iowa's first seat deposit deadline is? People have to start withdrawing soon. I think some people on the WL have a pretty good chance.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:09 am

JCougar wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote:

Does anyone know when Iowa's first seat deposit deadline is? People have to start withdrawing soon. I think some people on the WL have a pretty good chance.

It was April 1 but a number of people pushed back to April 15 (myself included)

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:16 am

The school is very willing to grant one-time extensions, in my experience. I probably shouldn't have even asked, because I made my decision by the evening of April 1st anyways.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:15 pm

Made another trip out to Iowa today (with the parents) to take a look at some apartments, sit in on a class, and take another tour of the building. The class was great - when I sat down the student next to me and I introduced ourselves and he asked a few questions and answered a few I had of my own. He even shared his book with me so I could kind of read along with what they were discussing. I didn't really get much more out of the tour that I didn't get the first time around, although I saw a couple different spots I must have missed at ASD.

As far as apartments, I took a look at The Lodge and Seville. According to the student who gave the tour, Seville is pretty much the unofficial housing for law students. The building seems pretty secure and sturdy. I'll admit it did have a bit of a smell in the hallways, but the apartment I am at now is kind of the same way, and it's really not a big deal. The 1 bedroom I looked at was pretty nice - new kitchen and bathroom (and some of them have new tile in the kitchen, as well), very spacious, big closet, nice appliances. Some utilities are included, which is nice, and you have your own parking spot. Overall, I was pretty impressed!

The Lodge seemed like it was all show, and way overpriced. The security keys they use for everything look flimsy and they admitted they can run out of battery and you have to call to get let into the building in that case. The rooms aren't bad, but you don't get as much space as you do at Seville. The amenities they describe are really for show - the "fitness center" isn't anything to brag about and looks kind of dirty, the cookout area seems unkempt, the whirlpool looks pretty gross, and I didn't really see any security. The buildings themselves look like they were put up incredibly quick and cheaply. Even with all the utilities included, I don't think it is worth it. Plus it is a longer walk from the law school.

I was hoping I would be able to finalize everything today, but after receiving the scholarship from Wake Forest on Thursday, I am still in decision mode. I think I am going to have to put a deposit down at both schools and try to get out to Winston-Salem sometime soon.

MoS

Postby MoS » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:35 am

Thanks for all the info on apartments. I haven't had a chance to look.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:45 am

My Seville 1BR was assigned yesterday. So far, the management there has been efficient and helpful. Wish I had the chance to scout out more options, but I was in a rush. There are some downsides to the place but it should work for my first year.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”