U Iowa 2010 App Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Slimpee

Silver

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Post by Slimpee » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:14 pm

mshflyer wrote:I received an e-mail from Iowa this morning saying that my app was being held for a second review.

Does anyone have any info about holds at Iowa? Do people normally get rejected or accepted with a held app?
I'd draft a LOCI and send it off quickly. Remember to add to your app, not just re-state it. Schools aren't interested in re-reading the same stuff.

Also, what are your numbers and when did you go complete?

mshflyer

New

Post by mshflyer » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:46 pm

yeah, i'm planning on sending an loci. iowa's definately very, very high on my list. My numbers are 161 and 3.4. Went complete on 12/15. have some good softs and strong lor's.

Prairie

Bronze

Post by Prairie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:48 pm

mshflyer wrote:I received an e-mail from Iowa this morning saying that my app was being held for a second review.

Does anyone have any info about holds at Iowa? Do people normally get rejected or accepted with a held app?

when did your application go complete?

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:49 pm

mshflyer wrote:yeah, i'm planning on sending an loci. iowa's definately very, very high on my list. My numbers are 161 and 3.4. Went complete on 12/15. have some good softs and strong lor's.
Well, a hold is better than a deny, anyway...I went complete around the same time so I think i'm coming up. I have to stop watching my email like a hawk(eye)...

Good luck w/ your LOCI

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:38 pm

IN today via email!

My first T30 acceptance! Yay!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:41 pm

Slimpee wrote:IN today via email!

Congrats, Slimpee. After seeing you wait patiently for the last few weeks, I imagine this is a huge relief for you.

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:43 pm

JOThompson wrote:

Congrats, Slimpee. After seeing you wait patiently for the last few weeks, I imagine this is a huge relief for you.
I wouldn't say patiently but waiting, yes...

and thanks!

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:50 pm

Word! :mrgreen:

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:51 pm

boo_pragmatism wrote:I should have posted this sooner, but forgot to. A few days ago I call the U of I to see if they would be willing to forgo the placement requirement (Top 1/3) on my full ride. Long story short:

No.

Goodbye Iowa, and good luck to everyone.
Damn. :cry:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:52 pm

boo_pragmatism wrote:I should have posted this sooner, but forgot to. A few days ago I call the U of I to see if they would be willing to forgo the placement requirement (Top 1/3) on my full ride. Long story short:

No.

And Iowa just dropped about 33% in my preference list.

secant

New

Post by secant » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:00 pm

No.

Last edited by secant on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snwboarder78

New

Post by Snwboarder78 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:03 pm

Received notification via email that I was accepted today. Totally psyched. I really was not expecting it.

ApexChaser

Bronze

Post by ApexChaser » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:01 pm

Got the email today. It was surprisingly fast turn-around as I submitted less than 4 weeks ago. First decision of 16. :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:15 pm

To encourage competition and/or wiggle out of scholarship commitments. I would really like to think it's the former for Iowa though.

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:42 pm

JOThompson wrote:To encourage competition and/or wiggle out of scholarship commitments. I would really like to think it's the former for Iowa though.
I would rather hope it's not the former. Do law students really need encouragement to compete? I would assume that the requirement is there to make sure that putatively top students don't take their scholarship for granted as if they are somehow entitled to it. But maybe that's what you meant by "compete," JO?

Sorry if I misunderstood.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:49 pm

Congrats to all who were accepted today! Anyone care to share their numbers?

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:04 pm

tamlyric wrote:
JOThompson wrote:To encourage competition and/or wiggle out of scholarship commitments. I would really like to think it's the former for Iowa though.
I would rather hope it's not the former. Do law students really need encouragement to compete? I would assume that the requirement is there to make sure that putatively top students don't take their scholarship for granted as if they are somehow entitled to it. But maybe that's what you meant by "compete," JO?

You are correct that law students are, by their very nature, competitive people. However, I know a couple scholarship recipients who have grown complacent in law school, possibly because there's no GPA requirement on their merit awards. From the school's perspective, it makes sense to put conditions on money, to encourage students to perform to the fullest of their mental faculties. That's what I meant by extra competition.

Some schools are notorious for putting strict requirements on their scholarships and then stacking scholarship recipients in the same sections. With the curve, some of those students are guaranteed to lose their awards.

Those are the two main motivations to put stipulations on scholarship IMO. The first seems more humane, and that was my only point :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ApexChaser

Bronze

Post by ApexChaser » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:21 pm

traehekat wrote:Congrats to all who were accepted today! Anyone care to share their numbers?
3.18/167

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 pm

JOThompson wrote:
tamlyric wrote:

You are correct that law students are, by their very nature, competitive people. However, I know a couple scholarship recipients who have grown complacent in law school, possibly because there's no GPA requirement on their merit awards. From the school's perspective, it makes sense to put conditions on money, to encourage students to perform to the fullest of their mental faculties. That's what I meant by extra competition.

Some schools are notorious for putting strict requirements on their scholarships and then stacking scholarship recipients in the same sections. With the curve, some of those students are guaranteed to lose their awards.

Those are the two main motivations to put stipulations on scholarship IMO. The first seems more humane, and that was my only point :)
Ha! So we are in complete agreement. My bad. :oops:

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:51 pm

tamlyric wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
tamlyric wrote:

Ha! So we are in complete agreement. My bad. :oops:
My fault for being vague :P
So does it look like you'll be attending Iowa?

Snwboarder78

New

Post by Snwboarder78 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:02 pm

ApexChaser wrote:
traehekat wrote:Congrats to all who were accepted today! Anyone care to share their numbers?
3.18/167
3.9/159

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:41 am

So in my excitement I replied to the email from Dean Jones...and included a typo ("be" instead of "being").

Way to start off strong, Slimpee!

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:45 am

Anyone promised partial scholarship info get anything this week?I was in the 12/8 batch so I'm hoping next week is lucky.

gatorlion

Bronze

Post by gatorlion » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:01 pm

I was informed of an initial review on 12/4 and have yet to hear back regarding a second review. Anyone else in this boat?

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:26 pm

Called the admissions office, no more schollys are being handed out. FML. now I really don't know what I'm going to do next year...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”