U Iowa 2010 App Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Jerome

Bronze

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Post by Jerome » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:38 pm

robin600 wrote:
Jerome wrote:
robin600 wrote:
traehekat wrote:Ugh, so I knew a pure ranking change wouldn't change my decision, but this assessment score is making me second guess choosing WFU over Iowa. Although WFU's assessment score of 3.6 is solid relative to it's rank, a 3.9 is pretty stellar. Only a handful of schools outside the T14 have as good of a score or better.
remember the difference between a 3.6 and a 3.9 could be a super shitty last in the class law student(s)/doesn't give a shit student(s) and/or some angry old man.
Maybe, but peer and lawyer/judge assessment scores should be "sticky," meaning that even one year of relatively bad students wont shift the scores too much one way or the other.
If they keep working for them/or leave a bad taste in the mouth on an employer it can. A 3.9 is awesome though
Yeah, but we could expect that equally from all schools. We can also assume that if a bad class was bad enough to lower the assessment of the school that produced that class as a whole, those new employees would be out of work if they were that bad. Just sayin.'

dt22

Bronze

Post by dt22 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:00 pm

Jerome wrote:
robin600 wrote:Anyone know what these are?
Law Foundation Loan
Federal Perkins Loan

Found them on ISIS, but not under federal loans, did everyone else get these? I don't have this for OSU
Law Foundation is through the school, and has its own LRAP. Low interest rate, too. Perkins is 5% as opposed to Stafford 6.8%. We get them because we show lots of need.
I got a leeeeel beeet of a Law Foundation in mine - not so sure it's need-based, since my FAFSA sucked .... could also be based on interest in public interest work?

edit - clarifying

TorpedoVegas

New

Post by TorpedoVegas » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:02 pm

hey everyone! just thought i would join the list - got my acceptance today! currently considering between iowa, american, tulane, and georgia. i want to study international law, so american seems a good choice, but i hear iowa has a great international program as well. thoughts?
Last edited by TorpedoVegas on Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dt22

Bronze

Post by dt22 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:03 pm

Hokay, So!

When/where are the Iowa Law 2013 0Ls getting together in early August?
Discuss....

A bit premature? Perhaps. Meh.

thepcv

Bronze

Post by thepcv » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:16 pm

dt22 wrote:Hokay, So!

When/where are the Iowa Law 2013 0Ls getting together in early August?
Discuss....

A bit premature? Perhaps. Meh.
We've started discussing this a little bit on the fb page. No-one's said a where yet, but we're between the Friday/Saturday before orientation for the when.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jaskat

Bronze

Post by jaskat » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:23 pm

We're also starting to consider a trip to Chicago.

dt22

Bronze

Post by dt22 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:52 pm

Chicago huh?

For the IC get-together...Fri/Sat sounds cool. I should be there Aug.1 if anyone's up for an even earlier shindig.

Is everyone buying season fball tickets?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:06 pm

TorpedoVegas wrote:hey everyone! just thought i would join the list - got my acceptance today! currently considering between iowa, american, tulane, and georgia. i want to study international law, so american seems a good choice, but i hear iowa has a great international program as well. thoughts?
No way I'd take American over Iowa. None whatsoever. Go to Iowa.

Xanadu

New

Post by Xanadu » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:10 pm

scott82 wrote:
Xanadu wrote:Hey everyone (possibly future classmates!)

I'm seriously consider Iowa for the fall. I am from California but went to UG in North Carolina. I visited Iowa last week (during a road trip dedicated to visiting law schools). I had a really good feeling about it, especially after talking to several really enthusiastic 1L's and taking a long tour with a current 3L. I was also impressed with the programs that the school offers, the RA program (I found out some current law students TA for undergrad classes in areas they might have majored in in UG...I, for example, could TA a spanish class). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about the kind of dismal looking law building. It just seemed like a tough place to spend hours and hours on end. Furthermore, I sat in on a constitutional law class and I was a little disappointed...especially because I had heard such great things about the faculty. He read from a book and had a kind of monotonous voice. On my tour of other schools I sat in on two other con law classes and I was sitting on the edge of my seat. I just want to know if anyone had really great experiences sitting in on other Iowa law classes...

And I wanted to address what someone said about being worried about making friends. I was contacted by a current 1L (from CA actually) a week after I was accepted (around Feb.) and when I visited Iowa she offered to meet me for coffee and introduce me to some of her friends. They all said that they came to school not knowing a single person and after a couple months, they felt a strong connection with not only the people in their section but the entire 1L class. Overall, they were really happy with their peers and felt supported by them.

Oh, I was also really intrigued with the Summer of Arts festival that Iowa hosts every summer.
Which prof did you sit in with, if you remember?
Professor Bill Buss' Constitutional Law....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tate033

New

Post by tate033 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:49 pm

dt22 wrote:Chicago huh?

For the IC get-together...Fri/Sat sounds cool. I should be there Aug.1 if anyone's up for an even earlier shindig.

Yes! My undergrad didn't have football so I am VERY excited about going to games. They should be good this season, and I hear the tailgating is ridiculous. We have to take breaks from studying sometime right?

I think a lot of us are getting there August 1st(ish) since that's when leases start. We should def take advantage of the couple weeks before orientation.

sebastian0622

Bronze

Post by sebastian0622 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:55 pm

Iowa is still handing out scholarships. :) Looks like I'll be in Iowa City in the fall.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:09 am

sebastian0622 wrote:Iowa is still handing out scholarships. :) Looks like I'll be in Iowa City in the fall.
Woah! Come again?! I thought they explicitly said they were done handing out scholarships?

sebastian0622

Bronze

Post by sebastian0622 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:26 am

I think they were telling people on a case-by-case basis. At ASW, the fin. aid director said that for the most part those who had not received offers by then would not be receiving an offer, but that she'd respond to inquiries via email. I emailed at the April 1 deadline, and she told me that I was still being considered. They came through with an offer today.

There might have been some miscommunication because I believe a very small portion of applicants were still being considered post-4/1.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:37 am

traehekat wrote:
sebastian0622 wrote:Iowa is still handing out scholarships. :) Looks like I'll be in Iowa City in the fall.
Woah! Come again?! I thought they explicitly said they were done handing out scholarships?
+1. Is it on your ISIS? *crossing fingers*

thepcv

Bronze

Post by thepcv » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:42 am

dt22 wrote:Chicago huh?

I'm absolutely buying season tickets.

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:04 pm

Just found out I was nominated for a partial scholarship but obviously didn't receive one. This sucks.

jaskat

Bronze

Post by jaskat » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:05 pm

I'm very sorry to hear that. How did you find out?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:06 pm

webbylu87 wrote:Just found out I was nominated for a partial scholarship but obviously didn't receive one. This sucks.
+1.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:14 pm

Jerome wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:Just found out I was nominated for a partial scholarship but obviously didn't receive one. This sucks.
+1.
How did you guys find out? Did they just email and be like, "Oh hey, just wanted you to know you had a chance at some money, but we blew it all on full schollies. Our bad..."

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:18 pm

traehekat wrote:
Jerome wrote:
+1.
How did you guys find out? Did they just email and be like, "Oh hey, just wanted you to know you had a chance at some money, but we blew it all on full schollies. Our bad..."
I just called admissions and asked if they knew if I was nominated. The woman apparently checked my file and said I was nominated for a partial scholarship. I spoke to a friend last night who has already deposited at Iowa and was told that Dean Byrd has said that there's a chance scholarship money could be reallocated from now throughout the summer. This is all hearsay though. Just when I thought I had sorted out what was going on at Iowa...

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:21 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Jerome wrote:
+1.
I just called admissions and asked if they knew if I was nominated. The woman apparently checked my file and said I was nominated for a partial scholarship. I spoke to a friend last night who has already deposited at Iowa and was told that Dean Byrd has said that there's a chance scholarship money could be reallocated from now throughout the summer. This is all hearsay though. Just when I thought I had sorted out what was going on at Iowa...
I also called. They must hate me by now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:43 am

Just sent in my deposit. I wish the previous sentence could be followed an exclamation mark instead of a period, but I've also deposited at Wake Forest and will be visiting there Friday and Saturday. Right now, Iowa looks like the backup plan, in case I absolutely hate WFU.

But you know, a really, really good looking backup plan.

:P

OH. Almost forgot. I don't know how many of you have looked at the actual numbers regarding law school financing, but it is shocking, especially for those looking at paying sticker. I went to http://www.accessgroup.org and played with one of the calculators... here are my results.

If you are paying sticker at Iowa, 1 year of nonresident tuition and 1 year of resident tuition, assuming about $15,000 in COL each year, and accounting for some tuition increases, you will be borrowing around $140,000, $8,500 of which will be subsidized with an interest rate at 6.8%. $12,000 will be unsubsidized, but also at an interest rate of 6.8%. The rest will be PLUS loans at 8.5%. Unfortunately, they just have a subsidized and unsubsidized calculator, so I am just taking that $12,000 in Stafford loans and putting it at 8.5%. The difference shouldn't be too much. So we put $8,500 in subsidized loans at 6.8% over 10 years, and $131,500 in unsubsidized loans at 8.5%, over lets say... 25 years...

You will be paying a monthly payment of $1,314 for ten years, $1,216 for the remaining 15 years.
The total payment (principal + interest) over the life of the loan will be $376,292.
The total interest paid over the life of the loan will be $236,652.

Of course, the amount of interest paid over the life of the loan shrinks as the life of the loan shrinks. I have heard of some people using their large salaries and leaving pretty modestly for a few years after school in order to put a huge dent in debt. I think the above scenario is a bit more typical, though.

Anyway, those are some large numbers.

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:33 am

Folks were admitted post 4/1. I have a friend that just got her offer in the mail yesterday. Don't lose hope those still out there.

itsablessing

New

Post by itsablessing » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:27 am

evilxs wrote:Folks were admitted post 4/1. I have a friend that just got her offer in the mail yesterday. Don't lose hope those still out there.
Doesn't seem like hope for those us waitlisted right before 4/1 :(

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:30 am

itsablessing wrote:
evilxs wrote:Folks were admitted post 4/1. I have a friend that just got her offer in the mail yesterday. Don't lose hope those still out there.
Doesn't seem like hope for those us waitlisted right before 4/1 :(
Eh, Iowa's deposit is early so i'm sure there will be people who deposited but are waiting on other schools or on other WL's...(me, for example). Don't lose hope yet!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”